Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

i'm no muppet! bmw owners unite!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

What car do you drive Day-wanna-wonga? You seem a bit hesitant about telling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

He started a topic which only furthers the "look at me, I drive a BMW" stereotype he was trying to defend in the first place.

i think we can all see right through what was behind this topic
    and you have it spot on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Day-wanna-wonga

qz wrote:
    What car do you drive Day-wanna-wonga? You seem a bit hesitant about telling.

XK8 - I'm not hesitant; it's irrelevant. And unlike a BMW driver, I didn't feel the need to jump at the chance to tell everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

XK8 - I'm not hesitant; it's irrelevant.

If you do own one, fair play, but, this is the magical world of the internet so I don't believe you, till I see pics.

qz wrote:
    If you do own one, fair play, but, this is the magical world of the internet so I don't believe you, till I see pics.
    It's parked outside right now, and I have a digital camera, so if you don't believe me, make a specific photo request (me holding up a boards.ie sign inside the car, etc) and I'll PM you the photo (I say PM, but a BMW driver would say "and I'll post it here to prove it to everyone").

But since it's irrelevant, let's keep this to PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

He started a topic which only furthers the "look at me, I drive a BMW" stereotype he was trying to defend in the first place.

I don't think he did. He started a topic about attitudes to BMW drivers, arguing that not all BMW drivers conform to the stereotype. If any of his posts imply "look at me, I drive a BMW" then I must have missed them. Perhaps you could quote one for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

FFS lads, come on , its got four wheels and engine and seats for carrying people, and gets you from A to B , just like any other car.

Get a life......

Anan1 wrote:
    If any of his posts imply "look at me, I drive a BMW" then I must have missed them. Perhaps you could quote one for me?

Not sure how you can 'quote' something that's 'implied', but here goes:

All quotes from the OP (matt cork)
    i am a bmw owner
    i own an m3 and love it
    i originally wanted and s6 but couldnt find one within budget, needed something for the family and the m3 fitted the bill *OP posts 2 pics of his BMW*
    i only purchased it in february and speaking with the dealer recently he said the used m3 market is on the up because their very much in demand
    i noticed in germany in may that i was getting 33/34 mpg at 85mph?? which is the highest ive ever go. usually i only get around 28ish

So for someone who is trying to defend BMW drivers, he sure can't seem to stop mentioning he owns one - he told us 2 times, then he posted pics, and then told us the value is going up, followed by how much MPG he gets.... You own a BMW - we get it!

Anan1 - I guess you missed all of the above :rolleyes:

Mc-BigE wrote:
    FFS lads, come on , its got four wheels and engine and seats for carrying people, and gets you from A to B , just like any other car.

Get a life......
    Ahhh, ya gotta love the innocent & oblivious outlook of Yaris drivers.

...So for someone who is trying to defend BMW drivers, he sure can't seem to stop mentioning he owns one - he told us 2 times, then he posted pics, and then told us the value is going up, followed by how much MPG he gets.... You own a BMW - we get it!

In case you hadn't noticed, this is a motors forum. If you have a problem with people talking about their cars then you're probably in the wrong place. I can still see nothing in any of the posts you have quoted that implies "Look at me, I drive a BMW".

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    In case you hadn't noticed, this is a motors forum. If you have a problem with people talking about their cars then you're probably in the wrong place. I can still see nothing in any of the posts you have quoted that implies "Look at me, I drive a BMW".
    ...you mean you can see anything, besides him mentioning it twice, talking about the value, talking about the MPG, and posting pics. Besides all of those things, you can see nothing.....:rolleyes:

I know this is a motors forum, and I'm talking about motors. But in case you hadn't noticed, each topic in the motors forum has a separate issue being discussed, and that's exactly what I'm doing in this topic. When did I say I had a problem with people talking about their cars? Maybe you can quote me...

So for someone who is trying to defend BMW drivers, he sure can't seem to stop mentioning he owns one - he told us 2 times, then he posted pics, and then told us the value is going up, followed by how much MPG he gets.... You own a BMW - we get it

Here.

Anan1 wrote:
    Here.
    Completely in the context of this topic though, no?

Except that, having accused the OP of "starting a topic which only furthers the "look at me, I drive a BMW" stereotype he was trying to defend in the first place" you then appear completely unable to substantiate this allegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Day-wanna-wonga; nice choice of car with the XK. Is it the new model or the last one?

I have a picture of my car in my sig, along with a link to a car club I belong to. It's a motor forum, hence the picture. I also put my car into car shows now and again.

Does that make me a typical look-at-me BMW owner? At the end of the day, it gets me from A-B in comfort, which is what I want over anything else (well, that and getting me there without breaking down!!!)

Anan - to be fair, I can see his point, even though I don't agree with it 100%.

The problem I have with peoples attitudes toward BMW drivers is the "they're absolute pigs on the road, who all can't drive, never indicate, don't give way, hog the road, speed excessively, are rude, etc, etc,etc" branding. Some of actually do try to be polite on the road.

Funnily enough, Merc and Lexus aren't treated the same way. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

Well, this thread has dissintigrated.

Anyway, someone cuts you off in, say a VW Golf. You say to yourself "Look at that Git!" and think no more about it.

Someone cuts you off in a BMW (or perhaps Merc). You say to yourself "Would you look at that wa**ker in his BMW! Thinks he fecking owns the road!" etc.

Whether its inherent jealousy or just a long standing stigma that is attached to BMW, I think it is more the preconception at play here than the driver of the car.

At the end of the day, all cars can have muppets in them.

Fey! wrote:
    Day-wanna-wonga; nice choice of car with the XK. Is it the new model or the last one?

I have a picture of my car in my sig, along with a link to a car club I belong to. It's a motor forum, hence the picture. I also put my car into car shows now and again.

Does that make me a typical look-at-me BMW owner? At the end of the day, it gets me from A-B in comfort, which is what I want over anything else (well, that and getting me there without breaking down!!!)

It's a 2000.

No, you sound like an okay guy judging by your posts. And I have sigs disabled, so I can't see your car...

Edit: I just enabled sigs, and you definately have that "look at me - I drive a BMW" vibe. I mean - you are in a BMW car club, ffs, where no doubt you endlessly discuss your BMW's and share pics. In fact, you're a stereotypical 'look-at-me' BMW owner.

On another note, I just read about your car getting keyed, and its sucks! Al this 'BMW' bullsh*t aside (which tbh, I'm only having a lighthearted dig with, and don't actually take seriously), those f*ckers should be hung.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

jeez, sensitive bunch here?!! what i dont get is what is the big deal?? the other thread asked what do muppets drive then out pops the 'bmw'. why is mentioned the mark of my car such a fecking crime?? its nothing flash its not a ferrari, aston, jaguar, maserati etc...... so why so much umbridge taken??

very strange if you ask me.

the reason i started this thread was because of the continued stereotypcial attitude to bmw driver. i was a called a girl when bought a 206, a prat for owning an alfa and since christmas im some sort of one ball'd, low esteemed muppet?:eek:

great character assumption then assasination!! but hey thats cool :cool: makes me laugh!!:D

matt cork wrote:
    makes me laugh!!:D

Makes me laugh, too. I laugh at all white cars. (joke, so chill, peeps).

• Advertisement

Makes me laugh, too. I laugh at all white cars. (joke, so chill, peeps).

Limos, garda cars..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

Makes me laugh, too. I laugh at all tasteless white cars. (joke, so chill, peeps).

im sitting by an open fridge door (also white and tasteless) so very chilled thank you;)

Fey! wrote:
    Anan - to be fair, I can see his point, even though I don't agree with it 100%.

The problem I have with peoples attitudes toward BMW drivers is the "they're absolute pigs on the road, who all can't drive, never indicate, don't give way, hog the road, speed excessively, are rude, etc, etc,etc" branding. Some of actually do try to be polite on the road.

Funnily enough, Merc and Lexus aren't treated the same way. Why is that?

I agree completely, and this is the point of this thread. What I am questioning is Day-wanna-wonga's assertion that the OP started a topic which only furthers the "look at me, I drive a BMW stereotype". I don't see that the OP has in any way furthered or lived up to the stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Get a life......
    Did you post this in the Motors section by mistake, or have you taken some sort of mind-bending chemical? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Getting into a nice tailored suit can make you feel great give you boost of confidence make you feel generally quite nice- you walk into the room and you feel the centre of attention.

Getting into a nice car can do the same...........

Take it to the next level:

You drive a nice car, you feel great, confident and your driving reflects that ( good or bad ).

Maybe there is something to driving a BMW or other marque which does make it easier to be lulled into selfish and "I own the road" type driving!
    Its not an unreasonable parallel at all.

Also many people who own large and powerful marques tend to be quite succesful. Generally timid and passive people would not fall into this category, maybe succesful people are road hogs and the fact that they are in a BMW is incidental.

Not just Motors here but psychology!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Look all brands carry a certain 'stigma'

BMW - Pr1cks
    Alfa - Crap
    Merc - Show off
    Audi - Wannabe merc
    Volvo - boring family car
    Toyota - Boring
    Honda - UK=Old, Ireland=Skanger
    Skoda - Cheap
    VW- Wannabe Audi
    Fiat - Junk
    Ferrari - Knob
    Rover - head gasket
    Hyundai - plastic

etc, etc. I don't necessarily agree with any of the above, but thats the way it is.....

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

recently bought a 20 year old 325... its great

I'm gonna save a fortune on indicator bulbs, just pop them in for teh NCT and I'm sorted

Getting into a nice tailored suit can make you feel great give you boost of confidence make you feel generally quite nice- you walk into the room and you feel the centre of attention.

Getting into a nice car can do the same...........

Take it to the next level:

You drive a nice car, you feel great, confident and your driving reflects that ( good or bad ).

Maybe there is something to driving a BMW or other marque which does make it easier to be lulled into selfish and "I own the road" type driving!
    Its not an unreasonable parallel at all.

Also many people who own large and powerful marques tend to be quite succesful. Generally timid and passive people would not fall into this category, maybe succesful people are road hogs and the fact that they are in a BMW is incidental.

Not just Motors here but psychology!
    Nail on the head. Great points.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

prospect wrote:
    Look all brands carry a certain 'stigma'

BMW - Pr1cks
    Alfa - Crap
    Merc - Show off
    Audi - Wannabe merc
    Volvo - boring family car
    Toyota - Boring
    Honda - UK=Old, Ireland=Skanger
    Skoda - Cheap
    VW- Wannabe Audi
    Fiat - Junk
    Ferrari - Knob
    Rover - head gasket
    Hyundai - plastic

etc, etc. I don't necessarily agree with any of the above, but thats the way it is.....
    So who is the writer of the above? You? Then tell us what you drive...
    junkyard wrote:
    Here are some pictures of mine.
    Nice 5 junkyard. Love those wheels. Would love a set on mine but I've tried the M wheels on already and without the M pack, they don't do it any justice.
    matt cork wrote:
    the reason i started this thread was because of the continued stereotypcial attitude to bmw driver. i was a called a girl when bought a 206, a prat for owning an alfa and since christmas im some sort of one ball'd, low esteemed muppet?:eek:
    you can't win Matt. I'm thinking of getting a Subaru next...not sure which one but maybe a Forrester...can't wait to see what I'll be called with that
    oh that class and true.

BMW oh Look at me... class.
    same question to you...whats your choice of transport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Lex Luthor wrote:
    So who is the writer of the above?
    Me.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    You?
    Yep, Me.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Then tell us what you drive...
    An Alfa Romeo.

Why?