Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

i'm no muppet! bmw owners unite!

Options
  • 17-07-2006 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

having read the recent thread on 'what car does a muppet drive'. like kermit the frog i am a bmw owner and feel the need to defend my choice of vehicle.

i am now a seasoned pro at this as my previous car was an alfa and had to defend that to the hilt!!

i am a careful considerate driver, i have even seen the shock :eek: on other drivers faces as i let them out of side roads!! there is a new breed of bmw drivers and i am here to defend them

(btw i love the m6)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

matt cork wrote:
    i am now a seasoned pro at this as my previous car was an alfa and had to defend that to the hilt!!

Same as myself so :) I also do that whole indicating thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Well, I drive a Micra, and contrary to popular belief, I'm neither in my 70s or race around in my baseball cap blaring out dance/trance ****e. Why do you feel the need to defend your choice of car? If you're happy with it, **** anyone else, you can't please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

Squirrel wrote:
    Well, I drive a Micra, and contrary to popular belief, I'm neither in my 70s or race around in my baseball cap blaring out dance/trance ****e. Why do you feel the need to defend your choice of car? If you're happy with it, **** anyone else, you can't please everyone.

:D to be bluntly honest i couldn't give a monkey's but thought what the hell!!

matt cork wrote:
    :D to be bluntly honest i couldn't give a monkey's but thought what the hell!!
    To be perfectly honest I'm jealous of you, I'm happy to be on the road at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Look, not all BMW drivers are like that mate. Hell look at Unkel :D

There are loads of cars and bad drivers out there but BMW's are extremely popular hence the reason there are so many of them and the reason why there are so many assholes driving them. It's simple really, my boss here has absolutely no idea what makes a car good, so he has a bit of spare change he goes car shopping. At the end of the day he has two business car choices, a merc or a beemer. So he buys either one knowing they have a good rep.

This is why we end up with so many gob****es who can't drive with BMW's and Mercs.

Just my theory anyway, i'm sure some one will be along shortly to disprove me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Matt - did you open the link under the Kermit comment - the car Kermit was in was very like the car pictured!

I'm more tired of constantly being berated as a wanker because I drive a BMW - I had Hondas for 5 years and loved them, but I'm not a small guy and have problems driving a lot of cars (and getting in and out), so I decided on comfort. For the money I paid, I could probably have gotten an '02 Mondeo, but I prefered the 5 series both looks wise and to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Squirrel wrote:

because he is a BMW driver... if their is one thing a BMW driver cant do, its stop talking about his BMW... sad really, get a life lads, nobody gives a **** about your little BMW world... ye are like a mothers with their newborn children... nobody want to know about yer BMW only other BMW drivers...

because he is a BMW driver... if their is one thing a BMW driver cant do, its stop talking about his BMW... sad really, get a life lads, nobody gives a **** about your little BMW world... ye are like a mothers with their newborn children... nobody want to know about yer BMW only other BMW drivers...

I quite like hearing about other people's Beemers (from someone who works for Audi), like any other car, I like cars so like hearing about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What an angry young man...

Anan1 wrote:
    What an angry young man...

please stop following me to every thread i reply to.

thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

This is a MOTORS FORUM, where people are supposed to talk about their mode of transport! If you don't want to hear about various types of cars, just go to a different section of boards and stop talking drivvle here!:rolleyes:

Thank you. :p

thank you.

And paranoid too! Calm down, you don't own the thread.:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I think BMW drivers are fine. They are rarely slow drivers - unlike mercs - imho generaly people who buy BMW's are more experienced drivers. Take someone who drives a Yaris or Corsa or something, generally quite young or quite old, and imo would not be as concerned with the qulaity of their driving as some other groups. BWM just has **** stigma of success that Irish people just hate cuase they are jealous. Personally the only BMW I'd every own would be an M3, (and I'll have one, one day!) apart form that they are not really my type of car but I have nothing agains them or their drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

thank you.

Thats Anans thing...that he does....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

The point in this thread I do not know but if I spose I own one also, my 2nd.
    I bought a 99 316 coupe 1st. Serious lack of power as you would expect but the drive and fun of rear wheel drive is unmistakeable. Driving became a pleaseure and more than a means.
    I liked it so much I bought a newer E46 coupe. Every bit as much fun. I rarely indicate though, I must admit, but use my rear view mirror well.
    I will preempt the attack by saying ( and I know he will disagree with me ) that using your rear view mirror properly and ensuring cars are well clear before manouvering is far better that the drivers who indicate without looking.
    The amount of times I see a flashing indicator bearing down on me with a driver who does not realise I am there.
    Begrudgers will point out now they are commonn ( which they are ) but so what ?they do the job and do it well.
    Im not gouing out to by a Masa' cos they are less common.

Thats Anans thing...that he does....

bunny boiler id say:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Day-wanna-wonga

I think the main douchebags drive the 3 series BMW's. They want the status of saying they drive a BMW, but with none of the engine power or sheer class/quality that you get at the higher end of BMW's.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I don't agree. The 3 series is the cmore compact and sportier side of things. I love the 3 service Coupe's (as long as you have a decent engine 2.5l +) but I would not buy a 5 or 7 series. 6 maybe, but man they are expensive...
    M3 - pretty much my perfect car. (perhaps even in a convertible to enjy days like todays...)

Zascar wrote:
    I don't agree. The 3 series is the cmore compact and sportier side of things. I love the 3 service Coupe's (as long as you have a decent engine 2.5l +) but I would not buy a 5 or 7 series. 6 maybe, but man they are expensive...
    M3 - pretty much my perfect car. (perhaps even in a convertible to enjy days like todays...)

I think he means the 4 cylinder 3 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont forget the big merc drivers, think they own the road must be something to do with driving a german taxi.
    anyone see top gear last night buy a ford mondeo st220 for the same price as a 318 think i know which one i'd buy ( not the bmw btw)
    bmw's can't see the point

• Advertisement

anyone see top gear last night buy a ford mondeo st220 for the same price as a 318 think i know which one i'd buy ( not the bmw btw)
    bmw's can't see the point

With respect, buying a new Mondeo ST220 and selling it again after 3 years would be a far more expensive proposition than doing the same with a 318i.

bunny boiler id say:D

Well would ya look at that, a troll and an illiterate! Bet you two will have beautiful kids.;)

great comments!!;) like all marques beemer drivers / owners are typecast.

i own an m3 and love it, its what i could afford. i didn't suddenly become satan behind the wheel when i drove it for the first time which seems to be the general consensus by non-bmw owners

alot of people must really have been rubbed up the wrong way, perhaps overtaken by a 3-series (with attitude) on the N7 one day and took exception to the way the driver looked straight ahead and ignored him/her??

perhaps all bmw driver should now wave and smile to all other road users??

matt cork wrote:
    great comments!!;) like all marques beemer drivers / owners are typecast.

i own an m3 and love it, its what i could afford. i didn't suddenly become satan behind the wheel when i drove it for the first time which seems to be the general consensus by non-bmw owners

alot of people must really have been rubbed up the wrong way, perhaps overtaken by a 3-series (with attitude) on the N7 one day and took exception to the way the driver looked straight ahead and ignored him/her??

perhaps all bmw driver should now wave and smile to all other road users??

To summarise, BMW make good cars with a somewhat unfortunate image. Some will be driven by those who really like the car and feel they can put up with the image, others by those who like the car and don't care, and yet others by those who bought the car for the image. There's a world of a difference between a debadged 330i saloon and a 318Ci with M badges, big shiny wheels, spoilers and darkened windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Have to disagree about the 4 cylinder beemers not having enough power, maybe you meant petrol, but the 320d has loads of power for everyday driving 150bhp and gives back 45 to 50mpg.

I drive the estate version, the car isn't very "D4" imho, but I love it, and I love the way it handles, even for an estate.
    I must admit, I love BMW's, but I also love Audi’s , Alfa’s, Skoda VRS, Superb. Suburu legacy 4WD big engined one, any new shaped car that i like the look of.
    Not just BMW’s

Yeah people who have M3 badges alongside their 318i badge should stopped at the side of the road and beaten with a stick. I think perhaps you should have to take an exam oto test your automotive knowledge before you are allowed to buy a car, and if you do bad you have to drive a sh1t car.

Matt Cork, what year is your M3? Any pics?

Zascar wrote:
    Yeah people who have M3 badges alongside their 318i badge should stopped at the side of the road and beaten with a stick. I think perhaps you should have to take an exam oto test your automotive knowledge before you are allowed to buy a car, and if you do bad you have to drive a sh1t car.

Matt Cork, what year is your M3? Any pics?

only a 2002. i originally wanted and s6 but couldnt find one within budget, needed something for the family and the m3 fitted the bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I drive a 316i and I'm not ashamed. It's fast enough to keep up with traffic and the build quality is great. Anybody who says a 316 is cheap and not a real BMW and a car only bought for status is a snob.

Matt that certianly is unique, I've never seen a white M3 before. White would not be my preference personally but its still a Savage Beast!
    Whats it like on Feul, and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it and whats it worth now?
    I drive a 316i. It's fast enough to keep up with traffic.
    Rotfl... Quote of the day without a doubt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

I drive a 316i and I'm not ashamed. It's fast enough to keep up with traffic and the build quality is great. Anybody who says a 316 is cheap and not a real BMW and a car only bought for status is a snob.

A 316i was my first introduction to the world of BMW and although the acceleration was cack she was well able to keep up with traffic. I never felt as safe behind the wheel either, would have much preferred to be involved in a crash in that car than in my previous car, Honda Integra.

I agree with your status comment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement