Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

i'm no muppet! bmw owners unite!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I drive a 316i and I'm not ashamed. It's fast enough to keep up with traffic and the build quality is great. Anybody who says a 316 is cheap and not a real BMW and a car only bought for status is a snob.

There's nothing wrong with the car itself, build quality is as good as any other 3 series. It's some of the people who drive them who give them a bad image.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

Anan1 wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with the car itself, build quality is as good as any other 3 series. It's some of the people who drive them who give them a bad image.

only those with a chav-tastic sense of style:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Zascar - what's wrong with the 5 and 7 series? The e39 and e38 are, imho, great looking cars!

Some of us just don't fit behind the wheel of a 3! :o

Zascar wrote:
    Matt that certianly is unique, I've never seen a white M3 before. White would not be my preference personally but its still a Savage Beast!
    Whats it like on Feul, and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it and whats it worth now?

Rotfl... Quote of the day without a doubt...

i didnt have a huge amount of choice, wanted black but beggars cant be choosers........

its actually awful on fuel although i noticed in germany in may that i was getting 33/34 mpg at 85mph?? which is the highest ive ever go. usually i only get around 28ish.......

i only purchased it in february and speaking with the dealer recently he said the used m3 market is on the up because their very much in demand, which is news to me.......!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I rarely indicate though, I must admit, but use my rear view mirror well.
    I will preempt the attack by saying ( and I know he will disagree with me ) that using your rear view mirror properly and ensuring cars are well clear before manouvering is far better that the drivers who indicate without looking.
    Umm indicators are not jsut for people behind you! They are also for people in front. :rolleyes:
    Use them. do you like being about to enter a roundabout and someone comes around who you assume is going straight through like most people then next thing you know they are coming right at you.. no indicators... you jam on.

They are there for a reason.. use them unless there are NO cars in view... its not that difficult :D

Anyway BMW drivers are not that bad. Though middle age people who own them or anyone over 40 that is... they tent to be ignorant... as in if i stop to let someone pull out.. chances are those people do not wave or flash in thanks... that irritates me no end.

What also irritates me are the BMW and mostly Merc drivers who take up 2 parking spaces as they do not want their paint scratched...
    I can understand why.... What i do not understand is why they do not just park further away where there are no cars instead of trying to get as close to the supermarket etc as possible :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Matt that M3 is fantastic, not sure what it is about them but they wear colours well other cars would not (look at Mystic Blues new M3 on bmwland).

I'll be the first to admit though that only last year i would have been part of the camp that thought bmw owners were badge following snobs who thought they owned the road.

Then i drove one, an E46 323i with a lovely 6pot 2.5 litre engine. It was going for a song (partly due to the big engine and partly due to the spartan spec i.e. no leather etc.) so i snapped it up.

It's the first car i've owned that i truely enjoy driving. Front-engined, rear wheel drive with great handling. I live 200yards from the shops and will take the car the long way round to get the milk :D

Frankly i've never been a follower of badges but with hindsight i myself was party to 'reverse-snobbery'. E.g. Skodas are great cars and i had no problem extolling the virtues and value of one of those but beemers? Naaa...

I'm a convert now. Screw the badge. They are wonderful cars to drive, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

matt cork wrote:
    i didnt have a huge amount of choice, wanted black but beggars cant be choosers........

its actually awful on fuel although i noticed in germany in may that i was getting 33/34 mpg at 85mph?? which is the highest ive ever go. usually i only get around 28ish.......

i only purchased it in february and speaking with the dealer recently he said the used m3 market is on the up because their very much in demand, which is news to me.......!!

Nice Car Matt, actually saw your car parked up somewhere in cork over the weekend, cant remember were i was, but i doubletook your car just incase it was a 318ci with plastic "stick on" grilles on the front wings! (which it wasn't, just like to add)
    Did you bring her in from UK? or is she irish?

There's a guy with an Alpine White e46 M3 who comes to the club trackdays. Very nice in the flesh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saruman wrote:

Though middle age people who own them or anyone over 40 that is... they tent to be ignorant... as in if i stop to let someone pull out.. chances are those people do not wave or flash in thanks... that irritates me no end.

Oh boy you are soooooooo close to a permenant ban! :D

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

matt cork wrote:
    having read the recent thread
    I'm a BMW driver, and I often find myself labelled as a twat because of the actions of other BMW drivers. You know the type, attention whores, the kind of person that starts new threads on forums to comment on other threads, because they want everyone to notice them; because they lack self esteem. Or a pair of balls.

Me Me ME, LOOK AT ME!!! :rolleyes:

(I beg to differ on the first part of the thread title btw.)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The good thing about BMW drivers is that they generally make good progress and don't have a phobia about overtaking. I don't recall ever seeing a BMW holding up a line of traffic. At the same time it is quite rare to see a BMW involved in a crash.

The real muppets on the road drive Hyundai Accents, Nissan Almeras, VW Boras, Opel Corsas etc. Generally these are slow, useless, inconsiderate drivers. The also begrudge the fact that other drivers are willing/able to overtake and drive faster than them. So they do things like flash their lights when you pass them, speed up when you try to pass them etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'm on my 9th BMW and only for the styling of the newest models I don't think I would change. As a car to drive BMW give the best choice of options, in fact you can custom build your own car if your willing to pay the price and they really are a nice car to drive. As regards BMW drivers being arrogant, sure there are a few drivers out there who give the rest of us a bad name but you get them with every marque. I'd always go out of my way to acknowledge who gives way to me in traffic etc., and I have no problem doing the same to other road users. I think in general the standard of manners on the road in very poor, male and female drivers tbh.
    Here are some pictures of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Saruman wrote:
    Umm indicators are not jsut for people behind you! They are also for people in front. :rolleyes:
    Use them. do you like being about to enter a roundabout and someone comes around who you assume is going straight through like most people then next thing you know they are coming right at you.. no indicators... you jam on.

They are there for a reason.. use them unless there are NO cars in view... its not that difficult :D

Yeah that was what I was getting at, I mean my GF indicates like its goin out of fashion on empty roads etc etc but her mirror usage is pants. If im indicating Im fine kind of attitude.
    Why upset you pleasure with these damn clicky things.
    <brace self for abuse:D >
    It is a BM cliche though........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I drive a 316i and I'm not ashamed. It's fast enough to keep up with traffic and the build quality is great. Anybody who says a 316 is cheap and not a real BMW and a car only bought for status is a snob.

316 was also my introduction, had no desire to spend 20-30k on a car and not be sure so I started on a 316 coupe. within a week I knew I loved them and the only draw back was a lack of power.
    318 still lacks what I want but I must resist. Power is a drug and I know I will keep chasing it so I will keep the step up gradual to keep me wanting.;)
    No badges on the thing though, that is as Muppetistic as spoilers on a Micra I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

junkyard wrote:
    I'm on my 9th BMW and only for the styling of the newest models I don't think I would change. As a car to drive BMW give the best choice of options, in fact you can custom build your own car if your willing to pay the price and they really are a nice car to drive. As regards BMW drivers being arrogant, sure there are a few drivers out there who give the rest of us a bad name but you get them with every marque. I'd always go out of my way to acknowledge who gives way to me in traffic etc., and I have no problem doing the same to other road users. I think in general the standard of manners on the road in very poor, male and female drivers tbh.
    Here are some pictures of mine.

The E39 M5 is a dream car of mine

Ken Shabby wrote:
    I'm a BMW driver, and I often find myself labelled as a twat because of the actions of other BMW drivers. You know the type, attention whores, the kind of person that starts new threads on forums to comment on other threads, because they want everyone to notice them; because they lack self esteem. Or a pair of balls.

Me Me ME, LOOK AT ME!!! :rolleyes:

(I beg to differ on the first part of the thread title btw.)

adam

:confused: i counted this morning and i have two of them?

as for your 'me me me, look at me!!!' comment i was under the impression this was a forum for posting threads?? perhaps i got this all wrong??

wow im so very, very shocked to receive these comments........... my self esteem will of course now be driven to new depths!

i shall sell the bmw (today if at all possible) to save you enduring anymore personal heartache. i apologise for my actions and for any problems it has caused you and your reputation as a bmw owner.........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

mike65 wrote:
    Oh boy you are soooooooo close to a permenant ban! :D

Mike.
    Originally Posted by Saruman

Though middle age people who own them or anyone over 40 that is... they tent to be ignorant... as in if i stop to let someone pull out.. chances are those people do not wave or flash in thanks... that irritates me no end.

Im sorry but why would that be? I mean by all means ban me for that comment. I see it as no different in any way than anyone who posted in here.

Im just saying what i have experienced among a majority (though not all) of people in this group. Insurance companies label young male drivers as the root of all evil because that what their statistics tell them. How is what i said any different?

If you drove through a county and almost every car you came across was driving dangerous and you posted as much that such and such a county has terrible drivers... would you ban yourself for that comment? You are only relaying what you see.

I mean BMW drivers even say they are labeled badly because of OTHER BMW drivers!! Ban them!!! Ban everyone who said anything negative about any group of people on this thread.

So feel free to ban me if it makes you feel better. Then send me a PM about it and let me know the reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Day-wanna-wonga

BMW's are far too common IMO. It's the predictable thing to drive for people who want a 'good' car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

matt cork wrote:
    =
    i am now a seasoned pro at this as my previous car was an alfa and had to defend that to the hilt!!==)
    Matt, I know how you feel....I have an Alfa and BMW in the house and and I'm getting a bit bored reading threads constantly bashing Alfas and the odd time BMW's. What people choose to drive is their priviledge...

I swap every few months to driving one to the other just so I get the joy out of them...normally I save the BMW for wet winter months for the rear wheel drive fun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

some people are gluttons for punishment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ibanezjem

I drive a bmw and on my fourth one at present. My first car was a 10 year old 318 saloon and straight away it was comfortable, easy to drive etc. Every other car ive driven ie lexus, merc doesnt suit my drving style and personally look too bland inside and out. Theres something with BMW that just stands out. Dont know what it is? You either love them or hate them.
    Generally people that own BMW's look after their cars. If you look at some of the images other posts have attached, they are in perfect condition. As too myself i am guilty of looking after my car too much perhaps having it washed and waxed at least once a week. If it rains and its gets dirty, im straight down the garage. I am soo guilty though for parking over a white line and taking up two spaces, so the usual suspects dont scratch the paintwork. I work hard and am greatful for what i have. Unfortunately some people have no respect for other peoples' property and are either jealous or spiteful. Ive seen drivers reverse into others and leave immediately, ive seen drivers swing open their car doors with force scratching/denting the bodywork of a nice car as a result. So in fairness i can see the reason for this. But i dont do it all the time.

I obviously can't comment on other drivers habits whether good or bad but its a little OTT to say that only BMW drivers do x, y and z.
    Seems the people harping on about BMW drivers have a jealous tone in their voice. Im not slamming others down, but would be interested for the posters who are complaining about only BMW drivers to state the current car they have?? If you can give it, you have to be able to take it!!

Im not into the amount of BHP my car has and acceleration power blah blah blah. They are simply a great car for every reason as most cars lack all or part of. My current BMW certainly wont be my last. I suggest all you hypocrites take a look at your own choice of motor before moaning!

If i was a poser and a tosser, id buy one of those rubbish MR2 things with the ferrari bodykit. For me the M3 is a dreamcar and the white one posted here is very tasty indeed. Theres nothing heavy flashy or intimidating about it, just pure class and thats the type of car i like. The new M6-beautiful. Thats the difference with BMW's and other cars. The class factor.

The day people stop talking about BMW is the day that they are pushed out of the equation. So all you moaners, keep it up. It just confirms that BMW are good cars after all.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Matt, I know how you feel....I have an Alfa and BMW in the house and and I'm getting a bit bored reading threads constantly bashing Alfas and the odd time BMW's. What people choose to drive is their priviledge...

I swap every few months to driving one to the other just so I get the joy out of them...normally I save the BMW for wet winter months for the rear wheel drive fun...

Actually, I was driving my mother's Alfa 156 yesterday when a BMW 3 series slowed to let me out. Didn't have his foglights on either.;)

I think the fact that a BMW owner felt the need to start a 'look at me' topic about owning a BMW says it all.

I think the fact that a BMW owner felt the need to start a 'look at me' topic about owning a BMW says it all.

Did you have something to add to this, or are you just trolling? You seem to be doing the usual thing of heaping all BMW drivers into the same pile.

BTW - what do you drive? Just curious, so that I can brand you the same way.

Fey! wrote:
    Did you have something to add to this, or are you just trolling? You seem to be doing the usual thing of heaping all BMW drivers into the same pile.

BTW - what do you drive? Just curious, so that I can brand you the same way.

No, I'm not trolling - aren't I totally on topic? Isn't the discussion of "heaping all BMW drivers into the same pile" the point of this topic?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ibanezjem

round and round we go.......

ibanezjem wrote:
    round and round we go.......
    Alright then, sorry. Not all BMW drivers are bell-ends - just the OP, and the BMW 316 drivers. I say they 316 drivers, because they want the status of saying they drive a BMW, but they can only afford the lowest spec - but they do it anyway, because it's all about the brand name for them. They also like carrying their BMW key in their hand around shopping centres for everyone to see - that's just from what I've seen - again, they don't all do that.

Alright then, sorry. Not all BMW drivers are bell-ends - just the OP, and the BMW 316 drivers. I say they 316 drivers, because they want the status of saying they drive a BMW, but they can only afford the lowest spec - but they do it anyway, because it's all about the brand name for them. They also like carrying their BMW key in their hand around shopping centres for everyone to see - that's just from what I've seen - again, they don't all do that.

What's your problem with the OP? He seems fine to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

oh that class and true.

BMW oh Look at me... class.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    What's your problem with the OP? He seems fine to me.
    He started a topic which only furthers the "look at me, I drive a BMW" stereotype he was trying to defend in the first place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement