Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Three Good Reasons not to buy an Alfa Romeo

Options
  • 16-07-2006 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

Here goes:

1. Reliability (lack of to be more precise)
    2. Depreciation (no car loses more money as fast)
    3. Build Quality (keeps rattling even after ignition has beeen turned off).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭skibum

Speaking from experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It looks to me you have some kind of death wish coming on here "Alfabashing" that said I think they're sh*te too so here goes.
    Styling and design isn't great tbh, they're stuffy inside with very little room.
    A lot of the componants seem to be made out of old chewing gum.
    The dealers must be laughing all the way to the bank when you see how much they charge and how often you have to use they're services.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I am getting sick of these Alfa Romeo threads...."should I buy one?" BLAH BLAH BLAH...

Look there are enough threads and forums out there for you to consult if you want to buy one.

If you have to post here, then you obviously want one but are worried about the potential pitfalls of buying one. If you have your doubts, then don't bother.

SUCK IT UP, BABY....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skibum wrote:
    Speaking from experience?
    I've had a few of them over the years and wasn't long getting them out of my system. I remember patching up the rust on the new ones back in the 80s BEFORE they were put in the showrooms! Can you believe that, new cars rusting even before they were sold. So I think I have enough experience of Alfas so some poor sod won't make the same mistake I made.

junkyard wrote:
    so some poor sod won't make the same mistake I made.
    1000's of poor sods out there ignoring your advice......

• Advertisement

They'll learn sooner or later, everyone's entitled to make a mistake.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Lex Luthor wrote:
    1000's of poor sods out there ignoring your advice......

I know nobody who owns an Alfa Romeo and there are no rules on these boards that prevents anyone from reasonably seeking advice, exchanging information or simply expressing an opinion.
    If the content is not to your liking, well that's tough, if it offends you and you have just cause well make a complaint.

On the otherhand you may wish to take some of your own medicine and "Suck it UP".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Is another bloody Alfa great/shoite thread necessary? The last one is still on the first page of the board.

One thing Alfas are unquestionably the best for is pointless mesageboard arguements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

hey alfas are ****y made and bad engine but they look very cool there 1 of the best looking car desingers out there :D

and leave me alone about the spelling to lazy to look them up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

So sonnenblumen since you know noboby that owns one you are basing your opinion on what exactly

1) Air
    2) A little Birdy told me
    3) I overheard it in confession

An opinion is one thing - an ill informed opinion is an ugly thing to behold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Right thats it, Sonnenblumen you've been tempting fate for a few days now with the Alfa bashing. Its completely needless, you are clearly either a muppet or a troll so its up to you, keep off the subject or get banned.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭skibum

Wolff wrote:
    So sonnenblumen since you know noboby that owns one you are basing your opinion on what exactly

1) Air
    2) A little Birdy told me
    3) I overheard it in confession

An opinion is one thing - an ill informed opinion is an ugly thing to behold.
    Thats what I was hinting at ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

OK so we're basing the argument on the fact that 1980s cars used to rust. Yep, excellent point!

I'll be sure not to stop off in 1983 the next time I'm in the market for a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

mike65 wrote:
    Right thats it, Sonnenblumen you've been tempting fate for a few days now with the Alfa bashing. Its completely needless, you are clearly either a muppet or a troll

seconded

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hey Mike - OK fair enough, I've done my bit and thanks to all share the same view.

But I must say you'd be doing society a bigger favour waving your banning wand at people with Sigs that refer to a winner in Special Olympics as a 'retard'.

awhir wrote:
    hey alfas are ****y made and bad engine
    what constitutes a bad engine in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Lex Luthor wrote:
    what constitutes a bad engine in your opinion?
    belts snap on them on a regular basis. alfas solution was to half the belt change intervals:rolleyes:

alfas also have the problem that they are front wheel driven with huge torque steer out of the better engines.

buying an alfa is like buying a 20 year old italian supercar. ur gauranteed to lose all your money in a short while and suffering this indignity with unreliablity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

lomb

your right of course how many alfas have you owned - except my alfa has never let me down, is not unreliable, neither has my brothers 3 alfas - one after the other

but im only basing my opinion on my own personal experience and his.

indeed have had a lot of cars Audis, Bmws, Mazdas, mitusbishi,hondas and I can safely say they are all good cars but none hold a candle to the alfa in driveability terms.

But again am only basing that on personal experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

My cycle repair man has had a string of them, and claims to have no problems. they must be doing something right, if people keep buying them.

Did you look up carsurvey.org?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Ah jaysus.

Not again... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

But I must say you'd be doing society a bigger favour waving your banning wand at people with Sigs that refer to a winner in Special Olympics as a 'retard'.

:eek: who was that- sonnen blumen quick call the president :eek:

Ask any car dealer what they think of Alfas and they'll all give you the same answer.....a can of worms....a warranty nightmare.....a depreciation disaster. We can't all be wrong. I personally wouldn't say they're the best car to drive or handle either. I think people are blinded by Alfas being from the same stable as Ferrari......so are Fiats.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Nobody said they were the best car to drive. I said you won't get the grin factor off many other cars in the price bracket, although I can't remember which thread that was.:rolleyes:
    Why people get the bug for these cars is precisely because they're not Toyotas; lots of fun and the risk of extra maintenance vs years and years and YEARS (....snore) of efficient, trouble-free, uninspiring transport. But hey, if that's what you want from your car...Oh Jebus, I can't be ar$ed.
    I've got 155bhp of Italian metal outside & its a toss up on whether I fork out for an extra 20bhp from a remap or save the money for the timing belt that's due soon, why the fcuk am talking to you people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Here goes:

1. Reliability (lack of to be more precise)
    2. Depreciation (no car loses more money as fast)
    3. Build Quality (keeps rattling even after ignition has beeen turned off).

spot on and so true...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

junkyard wrote:
    Ask any car dealer what they think of Alfas and they'll all give you the same answer.....a can of worms....a warranty nightmare.....a depreciation disaster. We can't all be wrong.

To be fair, asking a car dealer what they think of a particular car is only one step up from asking a taxi driver. The concerns of a dealer are completely different from those of an owner, and most car sales people (Junkyard excepted of course!) know little more about cars than your average Joe Soap.

mike65 wrote:
    Right thats it, Sonnenblumen you've been tempting fate for a few days now with the Alfa bashing. Its completely needless, you are clearly either a muppet or a troll so its up to you, keep off the subject or get banned.

Mike.

ah that a bit harsh... id say something if what he said was untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I don;t think it is harsh.
    There is a sticky for Alfa Related threads, and it should be used.
    Also, anyone who posts a thread that has no merit is clearly a troll.
    Thread should be deleted imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If he was in any way able to support his assertions then he might get a little respect. People keep asking him why he thinks that, whether he has any personal experience of Alfas, etc, and he appears unable to respond. There's nothing wrong with hating Alfas, but there's a lot wrong with not being able to discuss ones stated opinions in an adult manner.

Anan1 wrote:
    If he was in any way able to support his assertions then he might get a little respect. People keep asking him why he thinks that, whether he has any personal experience of Alfas, etc, and he appears unable to respond. There's nothing wrong with hating Alfas, but there's a lot wrong with not being able to discuss ones stated opinions in an adult manner.

but all that he has said about Alfas is true... every motoring magazine and journalist says the same...

that like asking somebody to support his assertions that the sky is blue...
    its blue for everybody to see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

but all that he has said about Alfas is true... every motoring magazine and journalist says the same...

But not every owner strangely enough. Anyway, aren't there any Gardai threads around for you to "contribute" to?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement