Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Fairplay! How long did it take to land it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

jack01986 wrote: »
    Fairplay! How long did it take to land it?

From hookup to release was around 1 hour. I was shaking after it, my legs arms and back was in bits. The Tuna was in better condition than me after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Brilliant, the excitement of hooking something that size would be something else,

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dyl15

That is some fish man fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Excellent fish ,hopefully we learn a bit about its movement before it inevitably gets scooped up in a mackerel trawler .Could you keep us updated ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Great stuff! How far off coast?

I presumed it was the colour of the little ridgey fins (the same ones you see on a mackerel) that were the ones that named the species (in the case of your photo, yellow?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Sure, if I get any info on its movements I'll post it. Some will get caught as by catch by trawlers, but its really a tiny amount (compared to the overall population). There was a reduction in the EU bluefin quota a few years ago, their population has bounced back a lot since the reduced quota. The quota has been increasing year on year again, so the numbers will probably fall again in the next 4-5 years, if not before then.

Both the blue fin and the yellow fin have those fins, the yellow fins second dorsal fin an anal fin are yellow, thats how its gets the "yellow fin" name.
    It was caught probably around 5 miles off the coast. However, I have seen blue fin "feeding frenzies" on the surface within half a mile off the coast.

I had 2 fantastic days fishing for tuna this year, seen 4 fish landed, I was lucky enough to land one. Real praise should go to the skipper, I had the "easy" job of just reeling the fish in!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭nokiatom

some fresh fish for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

nokiatom wrote: »

Where were you - Cod are very slow to show this year - Nice fish!

That box is gettin more use carrying fish than it did carrying post ;)

Nice haul

• Advertisement

outside of youghal

outside of youghal

Sorry were you on a boat or off the beach - beach fishing reports seem very poor.

Not looking for the mark just the general info on whether or not to head down cork way over the holidays!

ardinn wrote: »
    Sorry were you on a boat or off the beach - beach fishing reports seem very poor.

Not looking for the mark just the general info on whether or not to head down cork way over the holidays!

I was out in a boat,
    outside caple island

came across this yesterday on another site

came across this yesterday on another site

From the beaches compared to other years!

From the beaches compared to other years!
    they were not too far from the beaches

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Not exactly a caught fish in the hook sense, but we did catch some nice spawning action on a stretch of river that we recently did some rehabilitation work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭DaithiMa

Out on Lough Conn today and yesterday. Terrible conditions for the fly (bright sun and strong north easterly) but managed to nab this fella on the troll. Rapala rainbow trout lure. Removed the lamprey and both went back to fight another day. Only afterwards found out that we should have dispatched the lamprey and sent it to the fisheries dept, but will know the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

DaithiMa wrote: »
    Out on Lough Conn today and yesterday. Terrible conditions for the fly (bright sun and strong north easterly) but managed to nab this fella on the troll. Rapala rainbow trout lure. Removed the lamprey and both went back to fight another day. Only afterwards found out that we should have dispatched the lamprey and sent it to the fisheries dept, but will know the next time.

Jaysus. That looks sore. It looks like the eel is stuck in the side of the trout. Was it easy to remove with all those teeth?

Yeah had a fair aul grip on him. Needed a fair effort to pull it off the trout. Left a nasty scar but Trout swam off happy and so did the lamprey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Yeah had a fair aul grip on him. Needed a fair effort to pull it off the trout. Left a nasty scar but Trout swam off happy and so did the lamprey.

Is it true that they can burrow through the skin?

Is it true that they can burrow through the skin?

They always go through the skin, they remove all the skin where they attach themselves

100_3316.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

They always go through the skin, they remove all the skin where they attach themselves

100_3316.jpg

Rough wound

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Only afterwards found out that we should have dispatched the lamprey and sent it to the fisheries dept, but will know the next time.

What is the reason for that?
    I thought they were a native species, albeit in massive decline.
    They were quite the delicacy back in the day.

Mellor wrote: »
    What is the reason for that?
    I thought they were a native species, albeit in massive decline.
    They were quite the delicacy back in the day.

http://fishinginireland.info/news/other-news/%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BFland-locked-lamprey-anglers-we-need-your-help/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I still don't understand why they are killing a native, and still rare, species so they can study them. Seems an archaic way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

First seatrout of the year last night. A lovely fish in fading light. Gave a serious account of himself in high water. Taken on a size 10 teal blue and silver.

419183.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

I was down in Kerry fishing at the weekend. Mental weather and sporadic fishing but a few decent fish about. The highlight was my first ever seatrout followed by another smaller one. Never evennseen one caught before. Had a few schoolies and a nice bass of about 60cms as well as the obligatory heap of dogfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Whereabouts in Kerry red? If you don't mind sharing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Kerry red? If you don't mind sharing...

Near the beach lol.
    Tralee.

Advertisement