Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Cluiche iascairi

Haha. Not looking for exact location, those lakes are huge.

Did you manage to weigh it Dylan?

Edit: Just seen 13lb, fair play. Some fight off it I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Lough owel on good Friday nice fish to win the competition caught on the fly Screenshot_2016-03-29-14-28-103_zps1xchdgez.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dyl15

Nice one lads and should have some more pics Soon got me self a boat just need a 20-25 hp long shaft so I wanna hit derg and try and find some monsters because that lake Is guaranteed to have some cracking fish.. And as well the fight off the trout was really not as good as I heard they can fight it felt like a 5 or 6 lb pike thought it was until I seen a big gold yoke leaping from the water was mad was I suppose they put up a more athletic quick fight jumping and stuff where as pike tend to give really powerful runs every few seconds which I love but then again if I got her on a small fly rod instead of 2.0 test curve rod and 30 lb braid I'm sure it could have ripped the arm off me haha

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

A wee Salmon caught last year, About 5lb On a Cascade Variant, On a 9ft 6 weight rod. Sorry for bad pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

A wee Salmon caught last year, About 5lb On a Cascade Variant, On a 9ft 6 weight rod. Sorry for bad pic.

Forgive my ignorance to Salmon fishing, but why are there two tags on the fish? Is it harmfull to them ?

21/25

• Advertisement

No, The Tags are for a few reasons, By law you have to tag every fish you kill, You get 10 blue tags a year so 10 salmon if you wish to kill 10, Which i don't, You have a log book you fill in details and you fill in where it was caught etc, Any un used tags you send them back at the end of the season, The red tags are for the fishery any tags used they count them up for the salmon caught for the year..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

No, The Tags are for a few reasons, By law you have to tag every fish you kill, You get 10 blue tags a year so 10 salmon if you wish to kill 10, Which i don't, You have a log book you fill in details and you fill in where it was caught etc, Any un used tags you send them back at the end of the season, The red tags are for the fishery any tags used they count them up for the salmon caught for the year..

Thanks for the explaination, do you need to tag a fish if you release it ?

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Thanks for the explaination, do you need to tag a fish if you release it ?
    No problem, No What you do is after you release the fish you go onto the log book you get when you pay for the licence and Say that it was released, And you say where you caught it etc, Thats it!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭nokiatom

Its not a photo of my catch but where it went after I released it !

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Thats pretty cool!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Finally bagged my Royal canal bream and it was a two foot long beast
    15rldsg.jpg
    I ran me up and down the canal until I finally managed to squeeze it into my 45cm net.
    Alas I forgot a scales so I only know it was 63cm long [2 foot in old money:)] and fought like a demon, which surprised me as I'd been lead to believe bream fought like an old boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

croo wrote: »
    ... I only know it was 63cm long [2 foot in old money:)]

Looks like 63.5cm to me, thats 25" exactly, or 2'1" in old money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

how do u upload pics???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

how do u upload pics???

If the photo is hosted elsewhere, use the insert image tab and put in the url

or else...

Use the manage attachments option when creating your post and select the photo to upload. Once it is uploaded and you create your post, open the photo in a separate window. Edit your original post, Go Advanced, and insert the url from your image same as you would above.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MWforumfisher

Smallest trout in Ireland? :)

20160825_183241_zpsi5bzznma.jpg

20160825_183255_zps3pvkwvcp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

its not a trout

Definitely not a parr. It's a trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

That's a trout. I've caught plenty of them on the fly. I've caught minnow bigger than some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

nokiatom wrote: »
    Its not a photo of my catch but where it went after I released it !

Thats fantastic, fair play to them for sending you on the info. Some trek.

Edit: How come its IFI though? Hardly an inland species!

a148pro wrote: »
    Thats fantastic, fair play to them for sending you on the info. Some trek.

Edit: How come its IFI though? Hardly an inland species!

I do not know.
    Marine Sport Fish Tagging Programme
    Inland Fisheries Ireland's Marine Sportfish Tagging Programme was initiated in 1970 by the Inland Fisheries Trust, who had responsibility for developing and promoting recreational sea angling. By the late 1960s, results from sea angling competitions were showing a decline in the capture of some of the most important species such as Blue Shark, Tope, Monkfish, Skates and Rays. At that time, virtually all fish caught by anglers were killed and taken ashore for weighing and photographic opportunities.
    As little was known at the time about the biology and migration patterns of these species, the Inland Fisheries Trust decided to introduce a tagging programme with the explicit purpose of introducing conservation measures and to learn more about the migratory patterns of sea angling species. All tags used to date in the Marine Sport Fish Tagging Programme can be identified by their label - "Fisheries Board Ireland Reward". Though the tags appear in a variety of colours and shapes this the text "Fisheries Board Ireland Reward" and a unique id number are present on each tag.

• Advertisement

making the best of the good weather

Some nice fish there NokiaTom

Do I see an old An Post box there? :)

TheTorment wrote: »
    Some nice fish there NokiaTom

Do I see an old An Post box there? :)
    no no no.....that box fell off the back of a boat !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Whats the fish with the long anal fin on the top of the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

ardinn wrote: »
    Whats the fish with the long anal fin on the top of the box?

Looks like a ling!

yes its a ling

Small pike i got a few weeks ago first time catching one using perch for deadbait

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Dyl15 wrote: »
    Small pike i got a few weeks ago first time catching one using perch for deadbait

Have seen some good pike taken on perch!

Yea a lot of people told me they were a good deadbait but i could never catch in them i suppose it depends on the venue in this spot we kept missing runs on the perch but they wouldnt touch the roach on the other rod was mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

aQH6mAQ.jpg

ijBzsr2.jpg

Bluefin Tuna (estimated weight of 550-600lb) off the Donegal coast.
    It was tagged with satellite tag so we can learn more about the movements of these stunning creatures. I was on a high for days after!

Advertisement