Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chinese in Limerick?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

You certainly can't beat The Jasmine on O'Connell Street, The Peony Court at Punches X and The Wokking on O'Connell Street. YUM!!!

You must be joking. The Jasmine is overpriced and unexceptional. Not to mention the filthy dirty carpets. Considering that the Wokking is substandard to the Jasmine I wouldn't give it to my dog.

China-Ki in Corbally is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Enright wrote: »
    the BEST is the Hong Kong in William St. the decor is naff, the service is great, the menu brilliant, the prices good and the food - u got to try it 4 yourself:D

Before I gave up meat, I was a connoisseur of Special Fried Rice (it was the only thing i ever ordered in the chinese) and Hong Kong did the best one by a mile. A big fried egg, and gorgeous gravy on top of it. Very reasonable price too. Its even nicer when you sit down in the restaurant for it. Had a lovely vegetable noodle from Wokking in Caherdavin the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Fusion is very nice, always get a good meal there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have eaten in most and usually settled on one for a certain length of time until I found something better and/or became more mature where I ate.

Started off all those years ago eating in the Lotus and now the Zweton would be my Chinese of choice.

The Jasmine is all good and well but pricey. The Wokking downstairs uses the same ingredients as upstairs except the Lobster(:p) as I have worked with the chefs and the ingredients in both kitchens. So better value downstairs but uncomfortable seats.

I used to like the Hong Kong because of the Egg Roll but the other food was pretty dry thinking back.

The King Palace is all good and well but I haven't been there in an age. Do they do special offers?

The Pheony court is ok but again not in a long time.

My current chinese in Newport is okay but everything is the same with a different sauce thrown over it and rice/chips is extra at full price.

The Shamrock on the Ennis Rd is not too bad either.

If I had to head out now for a Chinese I would head to the Zweton for a Hickory Chicken. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Dragon Phoenix in Dooradoyle (above Xtra Vision) is really cheap and really nice. I think ots only 6.80 for most meals incl fried rice. Also, delivery is free!! Love it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

RonMexico wrote: »
    You must be joking. The Jasmine is overpriced and unexceptional. Not to mention the filthy dirty carpets. Considering that the Wokking is substandard to the Jasmine I wouldn't give it to my dog.

China-Ki in Corbally is fantastic.

Half of Limerick can't be wrong! ;)

And I wouldn't feed chinese to a dog either. It's very bad for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was in the Peony Court recently for the lunch buffet and wasn't that impressed with it to be honest. The starters and main course choices was pretty limited imo and found them pretty slow at topping up the trays.

In their defense though the place was pretty busy so alot of people are obviously happy with it but overall not my cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

I have to say the shamrock on the ennis road. Then send the OH into the golden gate in thomondgate for curry on the way home. Nobody in Limerick comes near their curry. their food on the other hand:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The Wokking in Caherdavin always pleases me.
    Very fast service, nice staff, very tasty food.

Have a fondness for Jumbo out next to the Groody Bar myself. Reasonably priced and portions are very generous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Ze-We-Ton is the best imo

bazz26 wrote: »
    Have a fondness for Jumbo out next to the Groody Bar myself. Reasonably priced and portions are very generous.

I heard that Jumbo was good except it gets bad press in its other locations. Wexford for example was ordered to close by the health board until they literally cleaned their act up.

Big chain of restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    Ze-We-Ton is the best imo

Thats like McDonalds in comparison to a chipper though. Poor choice and not authentic.
    Not a fan of Zeweton at all.

Jumpy wrote: »
    Thats like McDonalds in comparison to a chipper though. Poor choice and not authentic.

Not authentic? Im sure, Mr P Tsang, the owner of the Jasmine palace would be surprised to hear you say that.

All the companies supplying the Jasmine supply the Zweton's. I know because I used to work for two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

If you eat in Ze-we-ton in Annacotty, then eat in the Dragonfly the next night, you will see what I mean.

If you eat in Ze-we-ton in Annacotty, then eat in the Dragonfly the next night, you will see what I mean.

Never ate in Dragonfly but prefer Zweton on the Father Russel road myself. Might treat myself to the Dragonfly when I get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Jumbo in Castletroy is the best for takewaway imo. Their fried rice is the nicest in Limerick.

Half of Limerick can't be wrong! ;)

I wouldn't take the opinion of the majority of people in this city country as a barometer of what is right and wrong or good and bad.

Most don't know their arse from their elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Anybody remember Tony Cheung's Lido on Broad Street??? - Nobody has come near it since!!

China Ki is best takeaway for me at the mo

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Anybody remember Tony Cheung's Lido on Broad Street??? - Nobody has come near it since!!

The Lido had an exceptional curry.

Closed ages ago didn't it?

• Advertisement

keith_d99 wrote: »

Also the same ownership as the Dim Sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Berty wrote: »
    Never ate in Dragonfly but prefer Zweton on the Father Russel road myself. Might treat myself to the Dragonfly when I get a job.

Had a very nice meal in the Dragonfly but was a fairly small portion - Didn't notice the Weightwatchers signs on the way in?

Ze We Ton is consistently "fine" - have eaten there a lot of times and its never memorable food and I mean 5 mins later.......

I can't go into specifics but I used to love the Chicken Chow Mein in Hong Kong on William St.

Some people prefer McDonalds:D

Its a poor choice in your opinion,

Id doubt many Chinese restaurants in Ireland serve authentic Chinese food.

You surely don`t believe this is what they eat in China?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Certain places do dishes better. Shamrock does the best duck in plum sauce and crispy chilli beef. the place besides freda's(new owners but can't remember if its still called the great wall) does the best chicken balls and ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

He retired - early nineties maybe?
    RonMexico wrote: »
    The Lido had an exceptional curry.

Closed ages ago didn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

The Hunan beef in the Z-We-Ton is my all time favourite Chinese dish. This place is my definite number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭daca88

the Wokking in Caherdavin is quite nice, not as good as the Shamrock though! but the best in my opinion would be the Dim Sum! love that place, always goes down well :)

Stop, your making me hungry..:)

Celtxx wrote: »
    The Hunan beef in the Z-We-Ton is my all time favourite Chinese dish. This place is my definite number one.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

The Shamrock chinese on the ennis road beside the topaz garage and extra vision, i must say i think is the best!
    Especially when you go in there on a friday or saturday night and its packed with people sitting down for meals and people getting take-aways!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement