Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chinese in Limerick?

Options
  • 12-07-2006 10:51pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Restaurant or takeaway...

I got some food out of The Lotus, Dublin Road, earlier and it was smashing.

The Mayflower, Davis Street is now gone sadly.

Where else would you rate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

Awww when did they close the mayflower? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Quite a while back; no idea why.
    The Jazz is tolerable if you're around that area. There's one in Dooradoyle (Behind the Xtra-Vision) which is quite good.
    Nowhere quite compares to The Mayflower though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Abbey Lass

The Sun Flower in Nicholas St, portions are huge. God I miss it best chicken curry and fried rice ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

You certainly can't beat The Jasmine on O'Connell Street, The Peony Court at Punches X and The Wokking on O'Connell Street. YUM!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

That one beside the jail isn't bad. Can't remember what it's called now (Millenium I think) but it used to be the Hakasan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

The Dragonfly in Castletroy is excellent - always have had an excellent meal or takeway from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

The sunflower has the best curry in limerick most def.

But for me the best chinese is the ze-we-ton they have
    places in town next to the old quarter in raheen and out
    in castletroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

the BEST is the Hong Kong in William St. the decor is naff, the service is great, the menu brilliant, the prices good and the food - u got to try it 4 yourself:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

angeleyes wrote:
    The Dragonfly in Castletroy is excellent - always have had an excellent meal or takeway from there.

simply the best, especially their take away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Gotta be the Jasmine Palace (O'Connell Street), Ze-we-ton (Fr. Fussell Rd, Dooradoyle and The Old Quarter) or my regular the King Palace (beside the regional hospital)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭sioda

Can't believe no one has mentioned the Pagoda in corbally its worth going there just for the house special rolls and best wan tons in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

sioda wrote:
    Can't believe no one has mentioned the Pagoda in corbally its worth going there just for the house special rolls and best wan tons in the city

The sister Pagoda restaurant in Castletroy is damn fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

The Ming on Glentworth street is quite good too.Either that or the Peony Court at Punches Cross for me

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Gotta be the Jasmine Palace (O'Connell Street), Ze-we-ton (Fr. Fussell Rd, Dooradoyle and The Old Quarter) or my regular the King Palace (beside the regional hospital)

The Jasmine and Ze-We-Ton are owned by the same family apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

Normally I love the Lotus (it is my local) but last night I ordered a pork chow mein and got home and it was a portion of chow mien *grrr*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭sioda

bazz26 wrote:
    The Jasmine and Ze-We-Ton are owned by the same family apparently.

They are owned by two families who run the Jasmine as a partnership. One then has the Ze-We-Tons and one has the two wokking take aways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Enright wrote:
    the BEST is the Hong Kong in William St. the decor is naff, the service is great, the menu brilliant, the prices good and the food - u got to try it 4 yourself:D

I had a 3 day bout of food poisoning which coincided with a trip to a certain take away in Limerick, the room rotated at one point as I projectile vomited for the 17th time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Jumpy wrote:
    The sister Pagoda restaurant in Castletroy is damn fine too.

I was usually left disappointed by Pagoda Castletroy so I've stopped eating there... The one on corbally road seems to be better. (A few people I know agree) Overall though their sauces seem to be a huge sugar-fest... Not my idea of good chinese.

Jasmine Palace for sunday buffet.... All you can eat...
    For me that's alot;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I couldn't face a buffet of anything most Sundays.

Barfsville Arizona :(

Raiser wrote:
    I had a 3 day bout of food poisoning which coincided with a trip to a certain take away in Limerick, the room rotated at one point as I projectile vomited for the 17th time.

And your point is?

If you got food poisining u should name the establishment! i usually find that its the burger after the 18th pint

on your next visit to limerick, try any of the above chinese :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Anyone try the chinese in Thomond?
    Iv gotten about a hand full of chinese takeaways from there..found them all very nice!

The Jasmine is lovely aswell..expensive tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭whykay

Enright wrote:
    Thanks for the compliments. I will pass that onto my dad. He is half-retired, and that is reason why the decor is "naff", as you call it. I don't work there (never have really), and in complete different sector (s/e). But watch out for a change in menu soon. :)
    And yes, I recommend our restuarant's curry. It's an old family recipe, and almost all restaurants and takeaways have their version of our recipe, as they all worked in our kitchen at some point in time ('cause the HK is one of the 1st Chinese restaurants in Limerick. Huzzah! :D).
    The Sunflower's my relative's place. Great value as well! Don't want to bias or anything. But try the curry! I'm a big fan myself.;)

agree with u on the curry sauce, could i suggest that they incluse meat sung on the new menu!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The Shamrock next to O'Mara Motors on the Ennis Road is top class and owned by a HK relative too if I'm not mistaken. Always get my take-away there or sometimes sit down too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

ninty9er wrote:
    The Shamrock next to O'Mara Motors on the Ennis Road is top class and owned by a HK relative too if I'm not mistaken. Always get my take-away there or sometimes sit down too

I second that. It's bloody addictive. The restaurant is always packed in there so that's a good sign too.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭whykay

ninty9er wrote:
    Heh, yup, my uncle owns it. Good food.

Other places I would recommend (although I don't go to them, as it's awkward since you know the folks who run them)...
    - Peony Court
    - Jasmine Palace
    Although both above are pricey compared to other restaurants in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

i know its the county , but i adore THE RIVER , in newcastle west , sit down or take out its fab. keenly priced too.

there is a chinese in croom too, but i would only go to order for the next day they are that slow.i phoned in an order last week at 8.30 pm and was told it would be ready for 9, was there at 9 and paid for the food , eventually i lost my patience at 9.25 and asked for my money back and left , there was only 2 in the restaurant and she only served 1 person while i was there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 blondeconspircy

Were is the cheapest chinese in limerick, but do nice food aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

City Wok overhead Scott's bar are pretty cheap, I think a main course starts from €5.95.

Thread recently on this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055856347

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Peony is doing a roaring trade with their All you Can Eat lunches these days. Best move ever for them to set up that buffet.
    It used to be a ghost town at lunch, but now its always packed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement