Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Wok - 5.95 For a sit-in Chinese?

Options
  • 16-03-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Anyone tried this?

- Will be keen to support this if the reviews are good!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

i've got takeaway from there a few times.
    The food is very similar to bambu - and the menus are almost identical. But generally the city wok prices are lower. Bambu lowered their prices a lot a number of months ago, and city wok is cheaper again.
    I like the phad thai, which is one of the more expensive items on the menu, but still reasonable.
    Unfortunately one of the few differences between bambu and city wok is that city wok give you bbq sauce with the spare ribs, which is not nearly so nice as the chilli sauce you get in bambu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Raiser wrote: »
    Anyone tried this?

- What's the Cat-ch?

Iirc €5.95 is just for the main dish, the rice/noodels are extra (not a lot though). Nice enough food but not quite as nice as the Bambu (same management btw).

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Went there a few weeks ago and there was nothing wrong with it whatsoever.....was planning on going back last Sat after the fireworks but the traffic put paid to that!

Value for money and a nice meal......more places should be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks all!!!

- Well if we all support City Wok and by-pass the others then they'll soon drop their prices or close, I don't intend to buy from anywhere else even though its a fair bit away.

I actually paid €16 for a take-away in Copper and Spice about 6 months ago - Some very plain and mediocre Lamb dish and Naan bread.....

Paid up out of shock like an Eejit and left - Should have left it there and walked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

most restaurants and takeaways in the city centre have good deals on or lowered prices these days. City Wok is good enough but it's not exceptional.
    there's some really good indian restaurants in limerick. Spice of India is probably the best. Same standard as bombay pantry and jaipur in dublin. Both these places have numerous awards and great reviews. But they are nothing special at all compared to some of the indian restaurants in Limerick. Can't see the Limerick restaurants ever getting the same sort of recognition though.

• Advertisement

pwd wrote: »
    most restaurants and takeaways in the city centre have good deals on or lowered prices these days. City Wok is good enough but it's not exceptional.
    there's some really good indian restaurants in limerick. Spice of India is probably the best. Same standard as bombay pantry and jaipur in dublin. Both these places have numerous awards and great reviews. But they are nothing special at all compared to some of the indian restaurants in Limerick. Can't see the Limerick restaurants ever getting the same sort of recognition though.

Thanks for that!

Would you mind posting any suggestions in the Recession Lunch/Dinner thread here if you have a minute sometime?

- I'll fire in City Wok mention now too actually.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

lol i know this is bordering off topic but i had to promote city wok even further:D i love the city chicken by the way:D

cctv footage from saturday night in city wok

and rumour has it they are going into the airline business:D

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Had our first taste of food from there over the weekend.

The green thai curry is absolutely heavenly.
    The nama gourang is okay, but nothing to write home about.

but its a definite revisit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭RINO87

Icky thump that is brilliant!!! When they first opened i used to ring em drunk asking for the chitty chicken and chitty beef!!!! How very mature of me!!!!

.....anyways, great food for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Where is this place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Where is this place?

Overhead Scott's Bar near Ashbourne Avenue.

h3000 wrote: »
    Iirc €5.95 is just for the main dish, the rice/noodels are extra (not a lot though). Nice enough food but not quite as nice as the Bambu (same management btw).

Got a take away from here over the weekend - €5.95 thing is very misleading, nobody ever sat down to eat a tub of Chinese without the addition of it accompanying portion of rice which is ~33% extra to their advertised price.

- Meal was very average too, edible but very, very bland - same as if you bought the jar of Uncle Bens in Tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Got a take away from here over the weekend - €5.95 thing is very misleading, nobody ever sat down to eat a tub of Chinese without the addition of it accompanying portion of rice which is ~33% extra to their advertised price.

- Meal was very average too, edible but very, very bland - same as if you bought the jar of Uncle Bens in Tescos.

Some people do get it without rice, us included.
    Nothing nicer then a green thai curry drizzled across home-made chunky cut chips. :) (we need a drolling smiley)

jimoc wrote: »
    Some people do get it without rice, us included.
    Nothing nicer then a green thai curry drizzled across home-made chunky cut chips. :) (we need a drolling smiley)

If only I could make my own fluffy white rice instead of the usual pot of wallpaper paste I seem to end up with!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

If only I could make my own fluffy white rice instead of the usual pot of wallpaper paste I seem to end up with!!!

No longer than 10 minutes in the boiling water,will come out lovely then and not over cooked!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

also rinse the rice under cold water before you put it in the pot.

Advertisement