Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me pick a car

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

Just on buying from the UK, I'm sure there's loads of threads on this, but I'll ask here anyway.
    What taxes do you pay? VRT and VAT?
    What about registration, insurance and tax etc.?
    Any other implications?

Is it really worth it, like do you save, or do you get a better car for the same price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Big Nelly wrote:
    My own point of view a 1.3 is far too slow. Would drive me nuts, the lowest engine I have ever drove was the 1.6 and I found that sluggish. That my own point of view but I am used to drive large engine cars/jeeps.

I think that any 1.3 / 1.4 can do max speed limit easily. But your point of sluggishness on ovetaking is quite valid. It is a consideration all right, but it would be same on 1.6 diesel. On 2l or turbo it would not be a problem, of course.

I agree that petrol / diesel is a personal choice, and there are adv and dis-adv to both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

zag wrote:
    Just on buying from the UK, I'm sure there's loads of threads on this, but I'll ask here anyway.
    Any other implications?

Is it really worth it, like do you save, or do you get a better car for the same price?

I got a garage in Dublin to bring in mine, pay VRT etc and this was all included in the price. Insurance, tax etc is no difference and when the car place pays the VRT they get number plate etc. You just need to register the car for tax which is just a form you fill in and post off. No big deal. Of course if you bring in yourself then you will have to pay VRT etc yourself which could mean a day or so off work sorting it out because office for VRT are not open in evenings. I hadnt the time to get time off work or go to UK so got car off garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I think that any 1.3 / 1.4 can do max speed limit easily. But your point of sluggishness on ovetaking is quite valid. It is a consideration all right, but it would be same on 1.6 diesel. On 2l or turbo it would not be a problem, of course.

I agree that petrol / diesel is a personal choice, and there are adv and dis-adv to both.

My brother a few years ago had a 1.9 Diesel flat, I was driving the 1.6 then and found it very slow on take off. You really do need the 1.9Tdi in them, mind you he said he never found it slow but I moved to the 1.6 off a 3l Turbo Diesel jeep so was used to a bit of power:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Big Nelly wrote:
    ...but I moved to the 1.6 off a 3l Turbo Diesel jeep so was used to a bit of power:p

ha ha ... yes, that would seem 'sluggish', a'right :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

Colm's avensis D4D is very good value!

It is a much nicer more modern and more more petrol like engine than the VAG TDIs, and you can rev the hell out of it... it redlines up around 5.5k rpm.

Car is comfortable, it isn't as steady on the road as a mondeo, but, the handling is safe and predictable. It will always be worth a few grand too. It looks like a 3 series too from behind, although no one admits it. :)

Ignore the nonsense about Skoda's having a different engine, the only Skoda-specific engines are the "MPI" 1.4 petrols.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

zag wrote:
    Just on buying from the UK, I'm sure there are loads of threads on this, but I'll ask here anyway.
    Any other implications?

Buying in the UK can be justified because there are more cars to choose from, they normally will be a higher spec, i.e. leather/cruise/parking sensors/etc. but the downside is mileage and verifying that the car is in good condition before going over there.
    There are loads of threads on here about it, but check http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176389
    For details.

Make sure the car is more than 6months old and 6000Kms on the clock, otherwise you get caught for VAT on top of what you paid in euros.

Check: https://www.ros.ie:/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator

For how much vrt will cost you.

Most important thing, check here first to see is the equivalent car cheaper or the same price. No point in travelling if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,227 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Buying in the UK can be justified because there are more cars to choose from, they normally will be a higher spec, i.e. leather/cruise/parking sensors/etc. but the downside is mileage and verifying that the car is in good condition before going over there

And to add to that, the car probably has a complete service history, with bills and all. One of the biggest advantages of buying in the UK imho. Also the higher mileage is more likely to be "easy mileage" i.e. motorway cruising which does very little harm to a car that is maintained regularly.

But come to sell it here again and that benefit will be mainly gone as most people here don't understand that concept and wouldn't touch a car with say >100k miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

and 50 quid for my mate to do service. Thats aint expensive.
    For all the talking you do about cars you`d think you`d be able to change the oil yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

maidhc wrote:
    Colm's avensis D4D is very good value!

It is a much nicer more modern and more more petrol like engine than the VAG TDIs, and you can rev the hell out of it... it redlines up around 5.5k rpm.

Car is comfortable, it isn't as steady on the road as a mondeo, but, the handling is safe and predictable. It will always be worth a few grand too. It looks like a 3 series too from behind, although no one admits it. :)

Ignore the nonsense about Skoda's having a different engine, the only Skoda-specific engines are the "MPI" 1.4 petrols.

The old shape Avensis D-4D is a cracking drive, most people don't care though and would rather a 90bhp Passat with no equipment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Big Nelly wrote:
    What you talking about? price drop because it my GF cars and she is off to Oz, she is not really pushed on selling and talking of giving to her sister now. Just though I would throw it into the bowl.

Again I mention only losing 500 euro on my Passat in a year and putting 20k on it. Name one other car on the market where you would get that? and dont mention Golf because they are not in the same market place.

Wouldnt say the Passat is a poor mans Audi, they are more or less on the same playing Field. Same difference in price and thats about it. If I dont buy a Passat next year it will be an Audi. Will NEVER buy an Skoda! end of story!

I would ask you to look at the second hand prices for a Passat and an Avensis. you're talking 04 Avensis for the same price as a 05 Passat.
    5 years ago VW were tops for holding value, but now that people are seeing them for what they really are (my uncle has had so much trouble electricallly with his) VWs are no longer desirable s/h buys as they used to be

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=366632

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=385296

twice the mileage a year older and still only a grand in the difference
    I know there's been a model change on the passat, but people are now wide to VW. Their German reliability claim no longer applies.

The Toyota build quality is massively superior with better petrol engines and the diesel not too far behind.

The corolla is also better bought new for what you'd get a 1-2 yr old one for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

ninty9er wrote:
    I would ask you to...

sidebar: Why do so many people speak in the conditional whats wrong with
    a plain old "I ask you to"

Advertisement