Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me pick a car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Big Nelly wrote:

Jeez you should get over calling people ignorant. So what do you drive?
    If you stopped coming out with such drivel then there would be no need to call you names? Free speech is all well and good but ffs your like a broken record coming out with this rubbish everytime this debate comes up.
    For what its worth I drive an Mk 2 Octavia 1.9tdi Elegance, i'm on my third one, I've never had a problem selling them on privately, never lost out much on them as regards depreciation and I will be buying another one next January, hopefully the 2.0tdi 140bhp model (the same engine thats in the Passat/Golf/A3/A4/Toledo etc) when it is time to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

yellow012 wrote:
    If you stopped coming out with such drivel then there would be no need to call you names? Free speech is all well and good but ffs your like a broken record coming out with this rubbish everytime this debate comes up.
    For what its worth I drive an Mk 2 Octavia 1.9tdi Elegance, i'm on my third one, I've never had a problem selling them on privately, never lost out much on them as regards depreciation and I will be buying another one next January, hopefully the 2.0tdi 140bhp model (the same engine thats in the Passat/Golf/A3/A4/Toledo etc) when it is time to change it.

Drivel because Im not agreeing with you? what you talking about everytime. You only joined boards a few months ago. If you cant take someone opinion when they dont agree with your "drivel" and "ignorant" statement then stay out of here.

If you want to drive a Skoda off you go, doesnt make much difference to me. I already made the point the VW are a better car, this is shown by the sales of it. So its not only me that thinks they are. Was in a Skoda once and its worse than a base line Passat.

As I said already its a "poor mans passat".(again not my words so attack TopGear, think they know abit more about cars than you or me) Says something doesnt it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Big Nelly wrote:
    As mentioned in Top gear in last episode, the Octavia is a cheap mans Passat, Seat are the same. Dont get as good an engine and the extras are not included. Maybe its just me but I wouldnt drive a car with a Skoda badge.

A bit off topic...

But the Octavia uses the same platform as the Golf/Bora/Toledo/Leon and A3 not the Passat. The same TDi engines found in the Passat are also the same units found in the others above with slightly different bhp.

The 1997 - 2005 Passat uses VW's B5 platform and is also shared by the Skoda Superb. Audi/Seat/Skoda are all made by VW and share most components.

I don't think Skoda are a cheap man's VW, you could use the same logic and say VW are a poor man's Audi.

A Skoda owner is not too concerned by a badge or image rights but is more concerned about value for money.

Doh! Only spotted now that others have posted similar info before me.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Drivel because Im not agreeing with you? what you talking about everytime. You only joined boards a few months ago. If you cant take someone opinion when they dont agree with your "drivel" and "ignorant" statement then stay out of here.

If you want to drive a Skoda off you go, doesnt make much difference to me. I already made the point the VW are a better car, this is shown by the sales of it. So its not only me that thinks they are. Was in a Skoda once and its worse than a base line Passat.

As I said already its a "poor mans passat".(again not my words so attack TopGear, think they know abit more about cars than you or me) Says something doesnt it:D
    Whohoa for a start you have no idea how long I have been on this Forum so give that stuff over.
    And I have no problem with your belief that the "Octavia is the poor mans Passat", thats your point of view, its no skin off my nose. What I contradicted you on was the blatant cr@p you came out with when you said
    Big Nelly wrote:
    No its not a VW engine, it is more or less the same with cheaper parts hence why its cheaper and doesnt hold it value as well.:D
    Even with a smilie that's just school boy-schoolyard drivel talk so you shouldn't get too offended when people tell you so.

yellow012 wrote:
    Whohoa for a start you have no idea how long I have been on this Forum so give that stuff over.
    And I have no problem with your belief that the "Octavia is the poor mans Passat", thats your point of view, its no skin off my nose. What I contradicted you on was the blatant cr@p you came out with when you said

Look in the cornor and it says your join date of Jan 2005, not very long at all. Also it isnt my opinion if you can read. Read back and I mentioned it 3-4 times who opinion it is. If you cant read then dont bother replying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

Big Nelly wrote:
    Look in the cornor and it says your join date of Jan 2005, not very long at all. Also it isnt my opinion if you can read. Read back and I mentioned it 3-4 times who opinion it is. If you cant read then dont bother replying.

lads lads lads...

ffs, it's not that big a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

2 cents , had a toledo for a while , hated it , changed it for a passat 110 bhp 1.9tdi , loved it great car , wife has a skoda 1.9tdi octavia 02 lovely car very economical and utterly reliable , if i was buying one i would look at the skoda superb took one for a spin nice car . But i now have an A4 1.8t and it rocks , You can have my audi when you pry it from my cold dead fingers............

:)

zed

oldzed wrote:
    2 cents , had a toledo for a while , hated it , changed it for a passat 110 bhp 1.9tdi , loved it great car , wife has a skoda 1.9tdi octavia 02 lovely car very economical and utterly reliable , if i was buying one i would look at the skoda superb took one for a spin nice car . But i now have an A4 1.8t and it rocks , You can have my audi when you pry it from my cold dead fingers............

:)

zed

I thought Zed was dead, baby?

zag wrote:
    lads lads lads...

ffs, it's not that big a deal.

Ahh i know man, winding him up! seems to have a problem with Passat people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Zag, don’t forget about the rover 75 diesel, it’s worth a look at if your considering the Toledo/ Octavia root. But knock them all down on price especially rover.

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    You have me lost now, no idea what your on about..
    I see you have 4800 odd posts, a clear example of "empty vessels making the most noise".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

You only joined boards a few months ago. If you cant take someone opinion when they dont agree with your "drivel" and "ignorant" statement then stay out of here.

Please enlighten me as to what difference it makes that someone only joined a few months ago. Surely they have as much right to make a comment as anyone else, or is there some unwritten rule or protocol I'm unaware of?

bazz26 wrote:

thats a cracking spec on that low mileage car and it has a lot (not all) of 3 series BMW parts under its skin.
    remember there's no timing belt changes to worry about as with the vw's as its a timing chain.

Looks are not for everyone but its not a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,228 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Some good advice up there ^^^

I'd seriously consider the Rover 75. It's gonna be cheap to buy, you'll get lots of value, it is big and comfy for your big commute and the BMW engine should last very well, while giving excellent economy. In three years with an additional 100k miles on it, it won't be worth much, but most other cars suffer the same issue in the Irish market

Alternatively a VAG diesel, the cheapest obviously the Octavia. Many taxis are now Octavias, a sure sign that they are reliable and economical and that they can take a high mileage

gyppo wrote:
    You only joined boards a few months ago. If you cant take someone opinion when they dont agree with your "drivel" and "ignorant" statement then stay out of here.

Please enlighten me as to what difference it makes that someone only joined a few months ago. Surely they have as much right to make a comment as anyone else, or is there some unwritten rule or protocol I'm unaware of?

Again can nobody read in here, he/she/person made a reference to me saying I was always having the same arguement, seeing as he/she/person is fairly new to boards then how the hell can they tell what I have said in the past? If you can read the thread then dont bother quoting bits of a reply without reading what it refers to.

Mc-BigE wrote:
    thats a cracking spec on that low mileage car and it has a lot (not all) of 3 series BMW parts under its skin.
    remember there's no timing belt changes to worry about as with the vw's as its a timing chain.

Looks are not for everyone but its not a bad one.

If you buy Rover you may just run it into the ground, the resale value is non-existant. Never like the Rover so never looked at them, mate of mine bought one years ago and had probs form day one. Never looked at them because of that, was a number of stories running around about them then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I can read the thread, its just that quite frankly I find you quite inarticulate, confusing, and difficult to follow your logic.

To summarise, I'll end with a very apt proverb:

Never argue with a fool - they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

End of conversation.

Big Nelly wrote:
    If you buy Rover you may just run it into the ground, the resale value is non-existant. Never like the Rover so never looked at them, mate of mine bought one years ago and had probs form day one. Never looked at them because of that, was a number of stories running around about them then!

I already said that big Nelly, and you’re the one giving out about people not able to read:D
    (Remove pin, throw grenade..................;) or in your case....pin)
    Mc-BigE wrote:
    The Rover 75 diesel is a de-tuned version of the BMW 320d engine, which is a very good engine, I would be concerned about re-sale value on a 75 but if you buy one cheap in the first place you can't complain.
    QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Sure everyone knows seat/skoda/VW use the same engines, class engines them TDI`s variants are class in my opinion but golfs are over-priced and too basic, just like Passats and all things VW.

Big Nelly, what crap are you talking about. Do you not understand that they use the same engines or do you just not want to admit that a skoda 1.9Tdi is every bit as good an engine as a golf tdi or leon, etc.

The Passats are a nice-ish car but nothing special. My uncle bought the 2002 model brand new, the Tdi 130 6spd model, it didnt even come with mudflaps or a cd player as standard in 2002. A car that cost 26000punts if i remember correctly. This was the wifes car. Decent power alright, but boring looking.

Anyone that says a skoda octavia or seat something is a poor mans version of a Vw something is a complete tit. A seat leon tdi 110Horsepower is a class car just as a golf tdi is and an octavia. They have the same engines.

You seem to think your Passat is special and superior, Big Nelly. Whats with the badge snobbery? Badge snobbery is usually for people that like to think they have money.(unles its something **** like a skoda fabia) My uncle traded his passat for a Merc Cdi automatic costing the guts of 60grand. Can you afford that Nelly, or does your budget just manage to stretch to over-priced boring Passats. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Nuttzy wrote:
    SBig Nelly, what crap are you talking about. Do you not understand that they use the same engines or do you just not want to admit that a skoda 1.9Tdi is every bit as good an engine as a golf tdi or leon, etc.

Think it was already pointed out in a post here a few back they use a different engine.
    Nuttzy wrote:
    The Passats are a nice-ish car but nothing special. My uncle bought the 2002 model brand new, the Tdi 130 dspd model, it didnt even come with mudflaps or a cd player as standard in 2002. A car that cost 26000punts if i remember correctly. This was the wifes car. Decent power alright, but boring looking.

Well I dont buy Irish, I buy imports so get, alloys, cd player, climate control, alloys, cruise control, on board computer etc. Your uncle was done

Nuttzy wrote:
    You seem to think your Passat is special and superior, Big Nelly. Whats with the badge snobbery? Badge snobbery is usually for people that like to think they have money.(unles its something **** like a skoda fabia) My uncle traded his passat for a Merc Cdi automatic costing the guts of 60grand. Can you afford that Nelly, or does your budget just manage to stretch to over-priced boring Passats. :rolleyes:

No badge snobbery but the Octavia is brutal inside, not comfortable, they are worse than a base line passat as I have already said and I need a comfortable car. Also I just dont like the Skoda, love the way people come on here and spout about how good the Skoda are but how many of you actually own one? or do you all have Toyata/Nissan etc. So you all have badge snobbery!!

Never said I have money, wats that got to do with anything? I want a nice comfortable car and I have test drove loads of car and found the Passat the best in that market place. Easy, if you all want to be childish and start slagging off Passat because you cant afford one thats your problem and not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Octavia and Leon are Golf rivals, therefore the Passat will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

So OP have you learned whats available for €12000 or just learned who the fools that can't put an argument together are? :rolleyes:

Anyways the focus posted is nice €12000 is a good pot. Whats styles/sample cars you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hows about an Avensis D-4D? All are 116bhp and very reliable.

this one seems to be a UK model, presuming VRT is included in price.

madisonmotorsAveGol907.jpg

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=434895

I think I'd like a Rover 75 for comfort and value, but I think it's going to be an Octavia 1.9TDi for Zag. It's value for money, reliable, economical, roomy and comfortable and well able for the miles I'll be clocking.

Regarding the arguement, well, it certainly has teased out some facts about the Skoda/Audi/Volks/Seat story that I didn't know about!

Good choice Zag, and best of luck, when searching consider the UK also, can get good deals and high spec as Big Nelly said, but watch the mileage.

Make sure you post a pic of your new car AND include all the list of extras you got:D :D

RIP thread!

zag wrote:
    I think I'd like a Rover 75 for comfort and value, but I think it's going to be an Octavia 1.9TDi for Zag. It's value for money, reliable, economical, roomy and comfortable and well able for the miles I'll be clocking.

Regarding the arguement, well, it certainly has teased out some facts about the Skoda/Audi/Volks/Seat story that I didn't know about!

Good luck with it man, just try and get the comfortline if they have that in the Octavia, the model I was in like I said was terrible, worse than the baseline Passat which I had for a year and on a long drive you would notice it. I drove form Dublin to Cork in it once and hopped out of it into my Brother GF comfortline and you would notice the difference straight away. You can beat a nice comfy seat on a long drive.

As I mentioned before go to the UK for extra's, I got mine with all the extra's for the same price as an Irish model which had none, no alloys or nothing on it and just a base Tape player in a comfortline??? thats not on.

if your doing alot of milage try your best to get cruise control, when Im on N3 or M50 etc I stick it on and you just watch the MPG go up and up. Saves a fortune if you are on a good road most of the time, useless on back road etc because you have to keep knocking it off to pass etc.

Also if buying from UK get from a good garage, had a small problem with mine, went back to garage and they got there mechanic onto it, garage car while it was been fixed, came back and they had fixed everything for free, new bulbs, all new electronic fixtures behind the dash to make sure it wouldnt happen again. Even mechanic said it was prob the on-board computer just giving a warning because the brake lights where not connected right. Was a nice one anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Im not convinced that a diesel is the way to go. I drive 100 miles a day, 5 days a week, and I have a 1.3 petrol. Its comfortable, fuel efficient (45mpg) and its reliable.

Diesel (fuel) is cheaper, but you will pay €1k / 2k / 3k more (depending on year) for the diesel model of same petrol car. Then servicing a diesel is more expensive (but on pluss side you do it less often). The engine size of diesel is usually larger than equivelent petrol model, but road tax does not take this into account, and a 2l engine costs >500e (not sure of exact price). If you are getting 60mpg with a diesel, and diesel fuel prices do not pass out petrol for 5 years, then it will be worth it ..... from a finance point of view.

Dont get me wrong, I am not anti-diesel. My next car prob will be diesel, but that is so I can convert to veg-oil!

Just dont auto think that if you do 120 miles a day you HAVE to get a diesel.

Im not convinced that a diesel is the way to go. I drive 100 miles a day, 5 days a week, and I have a 1.3 petrol. Its comfortable, fuel efficient (45mpg) and its reliable.........
    Just dont auto think that if you do 120 miles a day you HAVE to get a diesel.

My own point of view a 1.3 is far too slow. Would drive me nuts, the lowest engine I have ever drove was the 1.6 and I found that sluggish. That my own point of view but I am used to drive large engine cars/jeeps.

Diesel may cost 1k or so more but when you sell it you get that 1k more back on them, also a diesel engine only really starts to work after 100k, at that stage petrol will have alot of wear and tear already.On my 1.6 after 100k the gear box, clutch, brake pads, brake bits(cant think of name) etc started to go on it.

Not sure why everyone goes on about service costs, I bought the part for my last service and a 10 gallon drum of oil which will do a number of services, cost about 80 quid for all the parts and 50 quid for my mate to do service. Thats aint expensive.

There is plus and minus to petrol and diesel but I know myself I will never go back to a petrol car, again a personal preference but I know my whole family are the same, there is about 25 of us living in the Dublin/Meath area and only 2 have petrol and thats because they are learner on 1.1 engines.

• Advertisement

zag wrote:

Make sure you try and get the more powerful 110bhp of the VAG 1.9 TDi in the Octavia or if you are going to the UK try and find the 130bhp version.

Advertisement