Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai with the road manners of a pig.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

0lordy wrote:
    At the end of the day, my advice to people with this negative perception of Gardaí is this: get yourself down to Templemore if you think you can do a better job. You'll have no problem getting in, because this is a job nobody wants to do; it's far easier to just whinge.

I read somewhere that applications exceeded places by thousands:confused: . It was around the time the need for Irish was done away with. The point was been made that other nationalities still had a very small chance of getting in due to the number of applications. You only have to go to the work forum to realise that an awful lot of people do want to do this job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Carb wrote:
    I read somewhere that applications exceeded places by thousands:confused: . It was around the time the need for Irish was done away with. The point was been made that other nationalities still had a very small chance of getting in due to the number of applications. You only have to go to the work forum to realise that an awful lot of people do want to do this job.

There still is a need for Irish, before you couldnt apply without it, now you can apply without it but you have to pass the equivlant test during the Garda training to join the Garda, if you have already Irish you dont need this so the non-nationals wil have extra classes.

I applied for it, at the time was getting seriously pi**ed off with job, when I got the info on pay during the 2 year training program that was the end of that. You earn sweet f**k all to be honest, think it was something like 200 a week. I would move a leg out of bed for that.

Again I say any Garda I have met have been great, I dont see why everyone is crying about them using the lights to get thru traffic, I would rather see a cop get thru traffic than sit in it so little jonnie who thinks he is Mikey Schumacher can fly up and down the roads nearly killing everyone with his big exhaust. Or old Jonnie after a few pints and halfs after a hard day at office heads off home hammered. Where would you rather the Garda then? sitting behind you in traffic or out on the roads trying to stop this?

Its is in the Irish nature to complain about everything but the amount of people on here that just attack the Garda for no reason is a joke..

The Garda have a hard enough job without a load of Victor Meldrews crying over every little turn they make, sure if a cop is on the way to a crash and has the lights on I bet half of the people(and I have seen this) dont bother to move out of the way. Just sit there in the car blocking the road with the atitude "ahh sure he is only trying to get thru traffic"!

Big Nelly wrote:
    There still is a need for Irish, before you couldnt apply without it, now you can apply without it but you have to pass the equivlant test during the Garda training to join the Garda, if you have already Irish you dont need this so the non-nationals wil have extra classes.

I applied for it, at the time was getting seriously pi**ed off with job, when I got the info on pay during the 2 year training program that was the end of that. You earn sweet f**k all to be honest, think it was something like 200 a week. I would move a leg out of bed for that.

Again I say any Garda I have met have been great, I dont see why everyone is crying about them using the lights to get thru traffic, I would rather see a cop get thru traffic than sit in it so little jonnie who thinks he is Mikey Schumacher can fly up and down the roads nearly killing everyone with his big exhaust. Or old Jonnie after a few pints and halfs after a hard day at office heads off home hammered. Where would you rather the Garda then? sitting behind you in traffic or out on the roads trying to stop this?

Its is in the Irish nature to complain about everything but the amount of people on here that just attack the Garda for no reason is a joke..

The Garda have a hard enough job without a load of Victor Meldrews crying over every little turn they make, sure if a cop is on the way to a crash and has the lights on I bet half of the people(and I have seen this) dont bother to move out of the way. Just sit there in the car blocking the road with the atitude "ahh sure he is only trying to get thru traffic"!

My point wasn't really about the Irish requirement, but more to do with somebody trying to argue that nobody wants to join the guards. Thats nearly as bad as the unoins a couple of years ago, saying the civil service needed pay increases because they couldn't get staff.

On the actual guards, I recently had to get a passport application sorted for my son, and the guard I dealt with was one of the nicest people I've dealt with in a long time. On the other hand, my brother in law was fishing the other day, and a guard in a unmarked car sat watching him for about an hour. When he went to leave, the guard came over to him, asked him had he any cannabis or cocaine. Then he asked to search his bags and car, and my bother in law not been the sharpest tool in the box:) said go ahead as he'd nothing to hide. After finding nothing, he then started checinking tax/insurance etc. Eventually the guard had to leave. I don't know whether it was a case of mistaken identity, or power tripping.

Carb wrote:
    On the other hand, my brother in law was fishing the other day, and a guard in a unmarked car sat watching him for about an hour. When he went to leave, the guard came over to him, asked him had he any cannabis or cocaine. Then he asked to search his bags and car, and my bother in law not been the sharpest tool in the box:) said go ahead as he'd nothing to hide. After finding nothing, he then started checinking tax/insurance etc. Eventually the guard had to leave. I don't know whether it was a case of mistaken identity, or power tripping.

Would say it was mistaken identity or these is something going on in the area. I know alot of lads around the Blanch area go "fishing" but they never seem to catch anything:confused:

Could be an area which is typically visited by young people and drink etc and with the holidays now the Garda was just checking out. Seen an old enough person and was just double checking wasnt dealer etc. I bet if your brother in law checked out the location it is something like that. A Garda in an unmarked car wouldnt be wasting his time watching a bloke fish

Seen the other evening a Garda around the offlicense in Blanch village, was wondering what he was at when I walked past two young fellows asked me to get them cans in off-license, I said nothing and walked on to the usual abuse you get but I think the poor young lads has no idea who was standing a little bit away watching to see if anyone would help them out.

Big Nelly wrote:
    A Garda in an unmarked car wouldnt be wasting his time watching a bloke fish

And then ask "what are you doing":D

• Advertisement

Carb wrote:
    And then ask "what are you doing":D

Its better than 'ello 'ello

Not sure what people expect the garda to say when they approach you? would you rather it be the US where all you would see is a gun and told to get on the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Big Nelly wrote:

Seen the other evening a Garda around the offlicense in Blanch village, was wondering what he was at when I walked past two young fellows asked me to get them cans in off-license, I said nothing and walked on to the usual abuse you get but I think the poor young lads has no idea who was standing a little bit away watching to see if anyone would help them out.

what a waste of resources... FFS.
    and we have people above saying how badly they need money...

what a waste of resources... FFS.
    and we have people above saying how badly they need money...

What you talking about? so you think it is ok for some bloke to come along and buy some kids beer so they can go out and get locked? Think before you type people.

What is the biggest problem this country has? DRINK. And you think it is ok for young people to get drink by using older people to head into the off license for them? what happens then if they get hammered and fall out in front of a car or fall into a river you would be on here crying about the Garda not enforcing the age drinking rules. Some people:mad:

As I said before the problem is usually with the atitude of the person talking to the Garda and not the Garda himself/herself

Big Nelly wrote:
    What you talking about? so you think it is ok for some bloke to come along and buy some kids beer so they can go out and get locked? Think before you type people.

What is the biggest problem this country has? DRINK. And you think it is ok for young people to get drink by using older people to head into the off license for them? what happens then if they get hammered and fall out in front of a car or fall into a river you would be on here crying about the Garda not enforcing the age drinking rules. Some people:mad:

As I said before the problem is usually with the atitude of the person talking to the Garda and not the Garda himself/herself

sorry that a very valid point...
    lets place a guard outside every place that sells drink in the country.
    that will kill two birds with the one stone... underage drinking is abolished AND the guards detection rate would improve.
    good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

sorry that a very valid point...
    lets place a guard outside every place that sells drink in the country.
    that will kill two birds with the one stone... underage drinking is abolished AND the guards detection rate would improve.
    good point.

WHat exactly are you trying to say here? Big Nelly has made what I think is a valid point. If you disagree, then tell us why. Scorn is no substitute for an argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Just to clear up the mobile phone issue with the guards....the reason they use the mobiles are because the radio network is bad and unsecure. mobile phones arent secure but they are harder to listen into than the current emergency servcies network. There is work going on to provide them with a seperate encrypted network so they can be exused for using the phones for the moment.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Its better than 'ello 'ello

Not sure what people expect the garda to say when they approach you? would you rather it be the US where all you would see is a gun and told to get on the ground

Jaysus, somebody got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning. I happen to think it quite funny that somebody could walk up to another person, who is at the side of a lake with 2/3 fishing rods and a bag of fishing gear, and ask them what are they doing. I would have thought it pretty obvious what he was doing.

If I wanted to treat it more seriously, I'd consider it bad manners to walk up to anyone and ask them what they are doing, after all it is none of their business, especially when its pretty obvious nothing illeagal is going on. Saying hello first might actually help. Comparing this to the gun culture in the US is just plain silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Carb wrote:
    Jaysus, somebody got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning. I happen to think it quite funny that somebody could walk up to another person, who is at the side of a lake with 2/3 fishing rods and a bag of fishing gear, and ask them what are they doing. I would have thought it pretty obvious what he was doing.

If I wanted to treat it more seriously, I'd consider it bad manners to walk up to anyone and ask them what they are doing, after all it is none of their business, especially when its pretty obvious nothing illeagal is going on. Saying hello first might actually help. Comparing this to the gun culture in the US is just plain silly.

If a Guard has reason to suspect that someone may be doing something illegal then they are duty-bound to investigate further. The question here is whether the Guard might reasonably have suspected something untoward. I am not in a position to pass judgement on this and neither, I suspect, are any of you.

Anan1 wrote:
    WHat exactly are you trying to say here? Big Nelly has made what I think is a valid point. If you disagree, then tell us why. Scorn is no substitute for an argument.

Thanks man, who saying he was standing out all day watching the off license, he was prob doing the beat and spotted the two lads, instead of walking on her tried to help the community and you have a problem with this?

I think your picking me up wrong here, the Garda has to open with something, do you find it easy to walk up to someone and come out the very best thing to say. Maybe it came out wrong but it could have been a valid question. It doesnt matter how many rods etc he has. Sure the guys I seen out drinking/drugs etc along the canal while supposed to be fishing all have fishing rods etc. with them. Just cause they have a rod with them doesn't automatically mean they are up to no good

Your point about its bad manners to walk up to someone and ask them what they are at is....well dont know how to put this....stupid. It is a Garda, it is there job to check up on suspicious people etc. What you want them to do, hang back and let crime happen just in case they offend you with some bad manners, you havent answered the question yet if this area is a hang out spot for youth etc.

Could there have been a complaint for some reason made against this person? there is a number of reason why a Garda would approach but seeing as he watched him for an hour there seems to be more to this story than my poor brother in law was attacked by a Garda with bad manners. Not saying he was commiting a crime or anything but could this spot be on private land and the owner called in the Garda to get him off etc.

Anan1 wrote:
    If a Guard has reason to suspect that someone may be doing something illegal then they are duty-bound to investigate further. The question here is whether the Guard might reasonably have suspected something untoward. I am not in a position to pass judgement on this and neither, I suspect, are any of you.

More or less what I am saying except shorter version:D

Big Nelly wrote:
    Thanks man, who saying he was standing out all day watching the off license, he was prob doing the beat and spotted the two lads, instead of walking on her tried to help the community and you have a problem with this?

I think your picking me up wrong here, the Garda has to open with something, do you find it easy to walk up to someone and come out the very best thing to say. Maybe it came out wrong but it could have been a valid question. It doesnt matter how many rods etc he has. Sure the guys I seen out drinking/drugs etc along the canal while supposed to be fishing all have fishing rods etc. with them. Just cause they have a rod with them doesn't automatically mean they are up to no good

Your point about its bad manners to walk up to someone and ask them what they are at is....well dont know how to put this....stupid. It is a Garda, it is there job to check up on suspicious people etc. What you want them to do, hang back and let crime happen just in case they offend you with some bad manners, you havent answered the question yet if this area is a hang out spot for youth etc.

Could there have been a complaint for some reason made against this person? there is a number of reason why a Garda would approach but seeing as he watched him for an hour there seems to be more to this story than my poor brother in law was attacked by a Garda with bad manners. Not saying he was commiting a crime or anything but could this spot be on private land and the owner called in the Garda to get him off etc.

I'd be suspicious of anyone fishing in a canal in Dublin too. I didn't think any fish would survive in them. I would also be suspicous of a gang of young lads messing about at the side a canal, rods or no rods.

I'm talking about an area, in the countryside, where fishing is a major recreation, where guys fishing on thier own is not abnormal. I'm talking about a 22 year old, who doesn't drink, do drugs or smoke. He goes fisihing on his own up to five times a week and is very well known in the area for winning competitions. If he was been watched for over an hour, it was pretty obvious that he wasn't drinking or doing drugs with his invisible friends, but was actually fishing. The lake was along a public road, hence the reason why his car was parked beside him, and the guard was able to drive up to him. Now if you picture the above scenario in your head for a few seconds, could you tell me which part is suspicious. It's pretty obvious when somebody is fishing and when they're not. To me it doesn't make a difference whether the area is a hang out or not (I don't know if it is), The guard was watching long enough to see that there was nothing illegal going on, and should have cleared off do something a bit more constructive.

As for the bad manners issue, there is nothing "stupid" about expecting a guard to show some common courtesy when dealing with any member of the public. We're not talking a group of drunks at 3 o'clock in the morning. If every other profession, and most guards can say hello, before asking a question, surely they all can.

OT slightly, are guards supposed to work in pairs.

Was there a complaint made thou? we dont know and the Garda doesn't have to admit to this. You never know, maybe the day before that someone else had been there causing problems and someone gave the Garda a call saying they seen someone in the area. I am from the country and I know the sceane you are describing but you would be surprised the stuff you see young people up to along rivers stream etc on a warm day in the summer. You have to consider all this. I remember in my younger days on a nice warm day we would all head for a lake and go on the beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

just to clarify a few points guards do not get paid to use their own mobile phones. o2 have masts erected on top of most/all garda station and o2 provide phone to the gardai but these are assigned to officers above inspector rank i think. 02 allow a certain amount of calls to be made (similar to the cost of rental for the masts if they were in any other area) and then rest of it is paid out of the budget. normal gardai on the beat often have to use their own phones due to the crap radio system in effect. they do not get paid to use them but im sure if u saw a load of thugs ready for action youd prefer to spend your own money and get some back up than rely on a radio system that doesnt work and possibly the guard get a beating or an innocent member of the public!
    at the moment there is a pilot plan for guards using phones in some divisions but these phones are restriced to dialing their own stations and extensions in their own stations

Carb wrote:
    I'd be suspicious of anyone fishing in a canal in Dublin too. I didn't think any fish would survive in them. I would also be suspicous of a gang of young lads messing about at the side a canal, rods or no rods.

I'm talking about an area, in the countryside, where fishing is a major recreation, where guys fishing on thier own is not abnormal. I'm talking about a 22 year old, who doesn't drink, do drugs or smoke. He goes fisihing on his own up to five times a week and is very well known in the area for winning competitions. If he was been watched for over an hour, it was pretty obvious that he wasn't drinking or doing drugs with his invisible friends, but was actually fishing. The lake was along a public road, hence the reason why his car was parked beside him, and the guard was able to drive up to him. Now if you picture the above scenario in your head for a few seconds, could you tell me which part is suspicious. It's pretty obvious when somebody is fishing and when they're not. To me it doesn't make a difference whether the area is a hang out or not (I don't know if it is), The guard was watching long enough to see that there was nothing illegal going on, and should have cleared off do something a bit more constructive.

As for the bad manners issue, there is nothing "stupid" about expecting a guard to show some common courtesy when dealing with any member of the public. We're not talking a group of drunks at 3 o'clock in the morning. If every other profession, and most guards can say hello, before asking a question, surely they all can.

OT slightly, are guards supposed to work in pairs.

i have lived in a number of countries in the last 10 years, and no where have i seen this type of I'm better than you attitude that the guards show here. is it no wonder that the kids grow up with a hatred for the police, they are only showing the type of attitude that was shown to them by a guard some time or other.

numorouno wrote:
    just to clarify a few points guards do not get paid to use their own mobile phones. o2 have masts erected on top of most/all garda station and o2 provide phone to the gardai but these are assigned to officers above inspector rank i think. 02 allow a certain amount of calls to be made (similar to the cost of rental for the masts if they were in any other area) and then rest of it is paid out of the budget. normal gardai on the beat often have to use their own phones due to the crap radio system in effect. they do not get paid to use them but im sure if u saw a load of thugs ready for action youd prefer to spend your own money and get some back up than rely on a radio system that doesnt work and possibly the guard get a beating or an innocent member of the public!
    at the moment there is a pilot plan for guards using phones in some divisions but these phones are restriced to dialing their own stations and extensions in their own stations

well talking to a guard buddy of mine over the weekend, he said that yes indeed they do use their personal phones (so i do stand corrected on this issue) he also said that they put it down in the expense sheet at the end of the month and they get reimbursed in full... i asked when he said in full did he mean all work calls and he said laughing no the whole bill, personal calls and all...

• Advertisement

i have lived in a number of countries in the last 10 years, and no where have i seen this type of I'm better than you attitude that the guards show here. is it no wonder that the kids grow up with a hatred for the police, they are only showing the type of attitude that was shown to them by a guard some time or other.

Ever been to Spain? France? Germany? Greece? well if you had then you could actual make a proper assumption. The French police have to deal with constant riots because of the way they treat people. The spain police hit first ask later, this is the same in Germany. The Greek police broke a fellow arm that was on hols with us because he was out one night and went over to ask for direction, before he opened his mouth BANG. Yeah they are great in foreign countries.

Also kids growing up hating the Garda? nobody I knows hate the Garda. Just the odd few with a chip on there shoulder or just complain because they have nothing else to do!!

well talking to a guard buddy of mine over the weekend, he said that yes indeed they do use their personal phones (so i do stand corrected on this issue) he also said that they put it down in the expense sheet at the end of the month and they get reimbursed in full... i asked when he said in full did he mean all work calls and he said laughing no the whole bill, personal calls and all...

Think you are plucking straws from the Sky now, first you say the Garda are the worst you have ever seen in the World and then all of a sudden you have a "mate" who gives you this information which contradics alot of people on here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Gardai below the rank of inspector dont get reimbursed for using their own mobile phones.

As they can deal with serious and in some cases life and death situations they tend to use their phones instead of the useless radio system they have been provided with.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ever been to Spain? France? Germany? Greece? well if you had then you could actual make a proper assumption. The French police have to deal with constant riots because of the way they treat people. The spain police hit first ask later, this is the same in Germany. The Greek police broke a fellow arm that was on hols with us because he was out one night and went over to ask for direction, before he opened his mouth BANG. Yeah they are great in foreign countries.

Also kids growing up hating the Garda? nobody I knows hate the Garda. Just the odd few with a chip on there shoulder or just complain because they have nothing else to do!!

you say ever been to Spain? France? Germany? Greece? well yes i have and not on "holidays" on the piss for two weeks either.

and my friend, if you really think that the guards are not hated here you are living in your own little bubble, far away from the reality on our streets and that explains some of you previous posts. you are out of touch with the common man on the street of our cities.

ur friend must be of inspector rank.they are given phones from o2 under that agreement and they can use it for the job and possibly off the job but most have a personal phone for that like the rest of it. they reason they are given work mobile so that they can be contacted with work related things at any time i.e. murders, fatal road traffic accident etc etc. important stuff that relate to their area. it is vital for them to have these phones id say and they possibly make a few personal calls on em too....like the rest of us on work phones id say. normal guards is who im on about DO NOT GET REIMBURSED at all for using their own personl mobile phones no matter what anyone says. i know of a few guards who have let normal persons use their personal mobile phones to contact family members to let them know where they are or if their ok if there phone was stolen or lost which would appear to be above or beyond the call of duty seeing that they wont get that money back. jst a few clarifications.sorry i went on for a bit

Chief--- wrote:
    Gardai below the rank of inspector dont get reimbursed for using their own mobile phones.

As they can deal with serious and in some cases life and death situations they tend to use their phones instead of the useless radio system they have been provided with.

that's incorrect according to a gardai who gets reimbursed under the rank of inspector.

actually perhaps some traffic sgts do get a phone if they are IC of a traffic corps.i apologise for this inaccuracy but these and perhaps a few detective sgs no other sgts or gardai get phones. apologies

you say ever been to Spain? France? Germany? Greece? well yes i have and not on "holidays" on the piss for two weeks either.

and my friend, if you really think that the guards are not hated here you are living in your own little bubble, far away from the reality on our streets and that explains some of you previous posts. you are out of touch with the common man on the street of our cities.

Common man? where you living? the common man like myself and anyone in my area in Dublin respect the Garda, it is also the same in Cavan. Maybe you have a problem with the Garda and your so called "mate" but I dont. Maybe you should look closer to home as to why you hate them.

The common man is a decent law abiding citizen.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Was there a complaint made thou? we dont know and the Garda doesn't have to admit to this. You never know, maybe the day before that someone else had been there causing problems and someone gave the Garda a call saying they seen someone in the area. I am from the country and I know the sceane you are describing but you would be surprised the stuff you see young people up to along rivers stream etc on a warm day in the summer. You have to consider all this. I remember in my younger days on a nice warm day we would all head for a lake and go on the beer.

I understand the point you're making about whether a complaint was made or not, and we'll never know what it was the guard was watching for. It just my opinion that the guard watched long enough to see nothing was going on, and therefore had no need to approach. If there had been 2/3 or more people there, I think he may have had more reason check it out, especially if they're been noisier/more boisterous, as everyone knows fishing should be done in as quiet conditions as possible.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I am afraid you are incorrect and so is your so called "garda" friend.

Gardai 100% do not get reimbursed for using their own personal phones.

And as for what you said earlier about people hating the gardai. Yes they do but generally only in particular areas.

If a garda car drives through a council estate, you will hear wolf whistles, most young people will look on with hate in their eyes. Gardai might even get stoned or hit with ball bearings from catapults. If approached young kids under 4 years of age will start balling crying.

Drive through a upmarket area and gardai will get waves, kids approaching the car with excitement in their eyes, people coming over to chat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement