Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai with the road manners of a pig.

Options
  • 15-06-2006 7:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Driving along yesterday evening in heavy enough traffic I let two cars out of a DART station and while the second car is exiting, a silver Mondeo behind beeps the horn.

Who's in the car behind? 3 coppers!

I looked at the driver in my mirror and just shook my head in disgust.

Fair play lads, setting a great example on the roads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Prehaps you were delaying them getting back to the station to eat their donuts and watch the football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

pigs can fly.... but they certainly cant drive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Big Balls wrote:
    Driving along yesterday evening in heavy enough traffic I let two cars out of a DART station and while the second car is exiting, a silver Mondeo behind beeps the horn.

How many cars were behind the silver Mondeo?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

:D Post of the week!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I see a local squad car driving quite frequently - with the front fog lights on :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Bluetonic wrote:
    How many cars were behind the silver Mondeo?

None I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,228 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Big Balls wrote:
    None I think.

In that case, I would not necessarily have let those two cars out. They could have waited until you and the Mondeo passed by. Different if there were loads of cars behind you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Big Balls wrote:

Who's in the car behind? 3 coppers!

I looked at the driver in my mirror and just shook my head in disgust.

Fair play lads, setting a great example on the roads.
    Hense the name "pigs".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I'm aware of that situation and before I ever let anyone out I see how many cars are behind but like I said, the lights ahead were red, it was simply a gesture which wasn't going to hold anybody up. If the traffic ahead of you is moving along and there's only a handful or less of cars behind, fair enough, you're holding up the traffic.

I just think whether it's a guard texting while driving, running red lights or just expressing general arrogance on the road, it's one rule for them and another for everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I think I saw that car coming out of Pearse St station yerterday evening, a silver Mondeo with 3 gardai in it.

They were sitting a the lights beside trinity, next thing, sirens blazing, lights flashing, they cut across traffic, then around through another set of lights and onto Westmorland st and turned off the lights and sirens.. Looks like they used it to get through the traffic as they couldnt be arsed sitting in it like everyone else has to.. :rolleyes:

Big Balls wrote:
    like I said, the lights ahead were red, it was simply a gesture which wasn't going to hold anybody up

You didn't say the lights ahead were red ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

i would have done the same, OP. If traffic is not going anywhere, it is only courtesy to let a car or two out of a side road. Its not like they are going to slow down or obstruct your progress (or those in the lane behind you).

Interestingly, it is an offence to sound your horn in a stationary vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Well, you didn't actually state whether this was the case, but if I was in that situation and if there was sufficient space for me and the car behind to just continue on up towards the lights so that the junction to the left wasn't obstructed, I'd do that in preference to stopping, letting cars out, starting and then stopping again and forcing the car behind me to do the same. The guys coming out of the side road would have probably got out just as quickly in the end. I'm all for being a considerate and polite road user, but if it doesn't actually give a net advantage to the road users involved then there's not really a lot of point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Interestingly, it is an offence to sound your horn in a stationary vehicle.

Not strictly true. You can sound your horn if stationary to warn other roadusers of a impending accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    I think I saw that car coming out of Pearse St station yerterday evening, a silver Mondeo with 3 gardai in it.

They were sitting a the lights beside trinity, next thing, sirens blazing, lights flashing, they cut across traffic, then around through another set of lights and onto Westmorland st and turned off the lights and sirens.. Looks like they used it to get through the traffic as they couldnt be arsed sitting in it like everyone else has to.. :rolleyes:

This has already been discussed on another thread and the most valid point was where do you want a Garda if you need one? stuck in traffic or able to use there lights to get thru it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Bond-007 wrote:
    Not strictly true. You can sound your horn if stationary to warn other roadusers of a impending accident.

I sit corrected..... you are quite right. But I think the situation as described does not constitute an impending accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Big Nelly wrote:
    This has already been discussed on another thread and the most valid point was where do you want a Garda if you need one? stuck in traffic or able to use there lights to get thru it!!!!

well the garda are allowed to use sirens in an emergency but not just to get through traffic for the sake of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Big Nelly wrote:

Generally when you need one the last thing you want is a corrupt one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Vegeta wrote:
    well the garda are allowed to use sirens in an emergency but not just to get through traffic for the sake of it

Sitting in traffic one day at the brewry in Dundalk beside where the school is and its four o clock (school time) and Gardas sitting behind me in traffic. Three of them. Then next thing sirens and lights on and they go up the middle of the road forcing everyone to pull in.

Anyway anyone who knows the junction at the brewry there you will know the Gardas station is across the road, when I got the the junction I could see them three boys park the car at the station and walk off about there business.

What emerency was that for??

Alot of Gardas on patrol take the piss, using mobile phones while driving, driving with fogs, driving up your arse. P's me off to the height to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Seen one this morning turning into a petrol station, no indicator and on the phone :rolleyes:

Good example to the rest of us alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

ToxicPaddy wrote:

Or maybe they recieved a call to go to a panic alarm and 2 minutes later were informed it was a false alarm ever think of that?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The main reason that phones were not banned years ago was so the emergency services could use them. Does anyone know if any services other than the gardai objected to Bobby Molloy's proposals?

the Gardai have sh*t radios if the radio system was improved there would be no need for them to use their mobile phones.

alfie wrote:
    Or maybe they recieved a call to go to a panic alarm and 2 minutes later were informed it was a false alarm ever think of that?

ya that would be right... so they said we wont check it out.

correct me if I'm wrong, but if a panic alarm is sounded and then deactivated, don't they still have to check it out...

after all if you press a panic alarm in a robbery situation and the thief holds a gun to your head and tell you to deactivate the alarm... shouldn't that alarm still be checked out according to protocol.

but id say your right, the alarm might have been deactivated and the guards in the car said they wouldn't bother following it up, too near lunch time.

good point that raises another issue.

alfie wrote:
    the Gardai have sh*t radios if the radio system was improved there would be no need for them to use their mobile phones.

don't even try to say that they use their personal phones for work use...

FFS we have spent a couple of million on a computer system to make their work load a lot easier and they want more money to use it, and your saying that they use their phones for work... come off the stage boy will ya,
    you must think that we are a right shower of thickos.

and if we improved the radios they would want more money to use them as well i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

I hope this doesn't start a mad row here but quite a number of them do.

They do use their personal phones for work use...

ya that would be right... so they said we wont check it out.

correct me if I'm wrong, but if a panic alarm is sounded and then deactivated, don't they still have to check it out...

after all if you press a panic alarm in a robbery situation and the thief holds a gun to your head and tell you to deactivate the alarm... shouldn't that alarm still be checked out according to protocol.

but id say your right, the alarm might have been deactivated and the guards in the car said they wouldn't bother following it up, too near lunch time.

good point that raises another issue.

you dont know what your talking about so il explain. A panic alarm is a priority it is therefore common for a number of cars to be dispatched to it, now obviously they wont all arrive at the same time so the first car their will check it out and if its a false alarm they will notify the other cars dispatched to stand down.

• Advertisement

FFS we have spent a couple of million on a computer system to make their work load a lot easier and they want more money to use it, and your saying that they use their phones for work... come off the stage boy will ya,
    you must think that we are a right shower of thickos.

and if we improved the radios they would want more money to use them as well i suppose.

and as other people have pointed out they do in fact use their personal phones for work use.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement