Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Ireland deals with issues relating to sex. What I think needs to be changed...

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Conar

Quite possibly so.
    Until we have such a system in place though I feel that we need to be tough with them. Not neccessarily only as a deterent, but to actually keep the reoffenders off the street.
    I wouldn't have any problem locking them up for 25 years if I thought it would save 1 or more childrens lives from being destroyed.
    We must value the lives of children over those of paedophiles in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Conar wrote:
    ...I wouldn't have any problem locking them up for 25 years if I thought it would save 1 or more childrens lives from being destroyed.

We may have to do both. That child who we save by locking up the paedophile may grow up to be one too if we do not take preventative measures now. Simply locking away a symptom of the problem will not solve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

Conar wrote:
    Quite possibly so.
    I wouldn't have any problem locking them up for 25 years if I thought it would save 1 or more childrens lives from being destroyed.

Well said!
    Its all very well to call it a "mental condition" or an "illness" from an outsiders point of view...but if it was you or your kid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

Sleepy wrote:

If the child receiving this education is a Catholic, it doesn't do them any harm to attend this class. They get knowledge of facts and even if they've been taught in Sunday school, in church or by their parents that sex before marriage is sinful and they agree with this and live their life by it, what harm does it do them to know the biological facts of the sexual act? I might be wrong but as far I know it's not against the laws of the Catholic church for it's followers to be knowledgeable about things their religion forbids.

For those children, Catholic, Atheist, Jewish or Arabic who choose not to follow their religion's teachings and have pre-marital sex, the lack of this knowledge could have serious, potentially fatal, repercussions.

great post!

Facutal information itself should never be critized imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Pedophilia is quite a strange issue. It's the one thing that seems to prompt irrational calls for torture and the death penalty by even the most liberal of people. Despite the fact that their attraction to children is clearly a mental disorder people dismiss it due to blind hatred. It's all very well to say, "Lock em up!", "Torture them!", "Shoot them!" etc. but are you saving the child he/she abused? Are you stopping other pedophiles from committing sex offences? Since when did a harsh punishment actually reduce a certain crime? I agree with Doleman on this. Anonymous counselling makes a lot oof sense.
    Shellie13 wrote:
    Well said!
    Its all very well to call it a "mental condition" or an "illness" from an outsiders point of view...but if it was you or your kid...
    It's all very well to say that, but if you or your kid were a pedophile...

On other issues of sex. Depending on your luck you mighn't ever have any sort of sex education, this is my case, I'm 17, going into sixth year and to this date have never had any sex education in school. Once two Christians came in and gave us leaflets about a talk they were doing on abstinance in the local parish centre, that was all.... So yeah, I really think an unbiased, unreligious sex education scheme should be introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Conar

JC 2K3 wrote:
    It's all very well to say, "Lock em up!", "Torture them!", "Shoot them!" etc. but are you saving the child he/she abused? Are you stopping other pedophiles from committing sex offences?

Perhaps not, but you're certainly stopping the one that is locked up!
    Do you suggest we stop sending people to jail for all other crimes? I'm pretty sure that all other offences are still also being committed! You seem to have very little pity for the children that have been abused, perhaps you should think a little more about that!
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    Since when did a harsh punishment actually reduce a certain crime?

I don't have the exact facts or figures, but I'm pretty sure New York managed to turn itself from having a very high crime rate to having one of the lowest crime rates in the US through their zero tolerance policy!
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    I agree with Doleman on this. Anonymous counselling makes a lot oof sense.

Perhaps, but only if they come forward before they commit violent crimes against children.
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    It's all very well to say that, but if you or your kid were a pedophile...

Thats just crazy talk! What kind of a response do you expect from a question like that? Thats like excusing Hitler by saying, but what if you or your child was Hitler!

I wonder where your over simplified view of this matter stops.
    Do you think we should simply counsel all rapist, and murderers too? What about people that prey on the elderly? These people are obviously also disturbed so do you sugest that locking them up is wrong too? Is counselling the way forward for every crime? I'd wouldn't like to walk the streets at night if counselling was the only punishment handed out to sexual deviants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Conar wrote:
    Thats just crazy talk! What kind of a response do you expect from a question like that? Thats like excusing Hitler by saying, but what if you or your child was Hitler!

Hitler was likely mentally ill and deluded. Millions follwed Hitler and supported the holocaust at the time. They're surely as bad as him? Now you can say pedophiles are like followers of Hitler, ordinary people who for a certain reason are prompted to commit dreadful crimes. Do they deserve to have the rest of their lives destroyed?

As for the rest of your post, I never once said they shouldn't go to jail for their crimes. But, as for all crimes of a disturbed nature, they should have counselling in jail.

And for the record, pity != will for revenge. I do feel pity for the children but I also feel pity for the one who abused them. To abuse a child you'd have to be seriously mentally ill and have no help. I'd guess that most pedophiles who have abused children hate themselves for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement