Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Fast trains' a step closer on Dublin to Cork route

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

popebenny - I think the later DMUs have fire clearance for underground working but it would probably require extra tunnel ventilation adding cost.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm glad to see that others have the same opinion as me that CIE need to improve the journey times in order to stay competitive. In the future travelling by car will almost as fast as by train and maybe even faster for some people (door to door time).

If already seen this happen on the Belfast line, I've friends who live in Belfast, they use to always get the train, but since the M1 opened, they only ever drive now, they do this because:

1) Journey time is much the same.

2) It is much cheaper by car.

3) It is easier, just to get into your car, instead of jumping between different forms of public transport (train, car, bus).

4) You get to use your car at both ends.

The same reality is faced on all the other inter-urbans to be opened over the next few years.

I'm not against rail, I don't actually own a car (I mostly cycle or use public transport), but I can see the threat coming. I don't know if we need high speed trains, as others have said, maybe making basic adjustments to the current infrastructure is enough. But CIE better start doing this now, it will take a lot to convince people not to take their car, it will need to be more then just a 30 minute time difference.

Advertisement