Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

DLWQo.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,919 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Looks like another megachurchist is going down the tubes:

I was in Young's church in 2005 -- a fascinatingly surreal place if anybody's ever in the Dallas area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Sensibleness leads to censure: an Irish priest who wrote that homosexuality is “simply a facet of the human condition” has been banned from publishing anything without the permission of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith.

Story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,919 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The Equality Tribunal has awarded more than €12,000 to a primary school teacher who was discriminated against because she was not a Catholic.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1116/mckeeverm.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ More like a "hazard of the wrong belief".

Interesting that State schools can legally pick and choose their pupils based on their (parents) belief, but not their teachers.
    The Equality Tribunal has dismissed two explanations given by the school as to why this happened. The explanations were based on breaches of formal procedures.
    "Formal procedures" being to ask them what religion the applicant is before offering them the job.

*starting to get Bruce Banner*

Dades wrote: »
    "Formal procedures" being to ask them what religion the applicant is before offering them the job.
    Hmm... just what I was thinking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Great news, I'm delighted, the less of this 'ethos' crap the better.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

As a fresh (atheist) graduate of Primary School teaching, this is awesome news, now if only we could get them to hand some of those schools over to the government/Educate Together group ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

mohawk wrote: »
    :eek::eek:
    Does anyone else feel the urge to vote for David Norris if he stands for election just to annoy these people.

I also saw their other site http://www.campaignforconscience.org/index.html which was campaining against the civil partnership bill. Some people have alot of hate in them.

don't agree with that site at all, but no, i don't get any urges when it comes to david norris...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Brace yourselves for smugness.

ColmDawson wrote: »
    Not so smug now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

"I can't imagine a president of America whose second name is Obama"
    No need to! :P

ColmDawson wrote: »
    I blame the husband -- he should be quoting Ephesians 5:22:
    Ephesia wrote:
    Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

Gruesome "exorcism" of an epileptic turns nasty in Pakistan. Family decides not to prosecute the guy who pulled out the sufferer's nails:

http://tribune.com.pk/story/79517/epilepsy-patient-killed-during-exorcism/

It freaks me out that people still believe in exorcisms in this day and age. what a horrible outcome :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

A judge in an Indiana court cites Craig Scarberry's agnosticism as a determining factor in his decision to restrict his access to his children:

On or around Ratzinger's visit to the UK last September, one of the top referees in the Scottish FA forwarded an email to somebody which showed "a school crossing sign with a silhouette of an adult holding a child's hand and the word "Caution" and some "added text".

The catholic church screamed that the tasteless joke "illuminate[d] the reality of a layer of deep, wide and vicious anti-Catholic hostility" and "the Catholic-baiting of the chattering classes bolster the bigotry of a new generation of vicious thugs" and that it was "totally unprofessional, gratuitously insulting to the Pope, deeply offensive to the Catholic community of Scotland, and an incitement to anti-Catholic sectarianism". And finished up by demanding that the ref should be fired if it turned out to be true.

It was, so he was.

Has anybody seen the full email? Does anybody know what this mysterious "added text" was? From the slightly-over-the-top reaction of spokesman Peter Kearney, I'd have thought the cartoon must have called for the summary torture and execution of every member of the roman catholic church in Scotland! I kinda think it didn't though...

A judge in an Indiana court cites Craig Scarberry's agnosticism as a determining factor in his decision to restrict his access to his children:

That's really messed up. I wish the father the best of luck with his appeal and hope that the judge is made explain his decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Before we start making laws lets have a pray and a bit of a fight. In Hawaii

I love things that end with, "get that camera!"

And here is how it all turned out in the end (yay).

The idiots actually pressed charges on the guy they roughed up.

Dades wrote: »
    And here is how it all turned out in the end (yay).

The idiots actually pressed charges on the guy they roughed up.

...after they saw him video tape them kicking the crap out of him? Clever.

Galvasean wrote: »
    ...after they saw him video tape them kicking the crap out of him?
    It's ok. I'm sure they beat the crap out of him in a loving manner.

robindch wrote: »
    It's ok. I'm sure they beat the crap out of him in a loving manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Galvasean wrote: »

LOLOL where do you find this ****

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

this might be of interest to you guys - transgender woman changes her name with the DMV, the employee who helped her abused his position and used her personal information to send a threatening and damning letter to her home address, while also passing this information on to his church who sent out a DVD to her home as well.

I kinda know this girl from another website, and it just maddens me to hell :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Links234 wrote: »
    this might be of interest to you guys - transgender woman changes her name with the DMV, the employee who helped her abused his position and used her personal information to send a threatening and damning letter to her home address, while also passing this information on to his church who sent out a DVD to her home as well.

I kinda know this girl from another website, and it just maddens me to hell :mad:

its cool links. Hell is where the partys at;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement