Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's Commuter Belt-Really this wide??

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

MarkoP11 wrote:
    Here is the big question

Do you run
    Long distance train from station x limited stops to Dublin ~300 onboard
    Short distance train, capacity loading all stops ~1200-1300

Thats the $64,000 question who has priority? Note the crew in Longford went up the wall when the the new timetable meant all calling at all stations, thats what suburban trains do. I don't know what the answer is but someone in authority is going to have to make a descision

Thats what I said, I don't know the answer but someone is going to have to make a decision and fast. Irish Rail made a right balls up of the Maynooth timetable, they didn't consult with anyone and refused to sell the new timetable to the public until the day it became valid

What is the goal, maximum number of people moved or most people over a long distance, whats the target solve congestion in Dublin or promote long distance commuting through its facilitation. Some long hard thought has to go into this problem

Taking Longford as an example at a crazy 77 miles from Dublin, it has as many trains from Dublin between 5pm and 7pm as Greystones does, five in total. I believe that to be excessive, especailly when you consider only 1 service from Longford arrives in Dublin before 9am, there is an imbalance there, would a 5pm, 6pm and 7pm non stop surfice ? Its approaching dangerous levels of overcrowding elsewhere. Its a lose lose scenario for everyone as there is no solution other than a proper development plan not suspect rezoings and huge green field holdings, undeveloped to force the land price up where it is built on

First question is why are people in Longford commuting to Dublin, it is because they can't afford a house in Dublin, can't get a job in Longford or is it that there are not enough houses in Dublin, noting price is very sensitve to supply, the lack of supply has forced prices up in no small part helped by the banks willingness to give out ever larger loans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Here's a radical suggestion that will never happen - linking regional bus and rail.

In southern Ontario, GO Transit runs trains (locohauled bilevel Bombardiers) and buses.
    http://www.gotransit.ca/PUBLIC/aboutgo/fleet.htm#bilevel

Some people for example commute from Barrie to Toronto. Barrie was where "Toronto Live 8" was, about 88km from Toronto downtown. At the moment, there are no trains to Barrie although future re-activation of the line is planned. So at present people go by GO Bus about 38km to Bradford where they board the GO Train for the remaining 50km. A monthly pass from Barrie to Toronto costs C$347 (Eur243) although tax relief will start being available from July.

You could massively contract the commuter belt and train slot demand by using lateral buses to connect non-train served towns and connecting buses to towns that are so far out that they massively waste commuter train resources due to positioning. Rather than buying more trains to fill these gaps you put larger trains (bilevels if poss) on the shorter segments.

If only there was a single company that owned buses and trains... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

MarkoP11 wrote:
    it has as many trains from Dublin between 5pm and 7pm as Greystones does, five in total. I believe that to be excessive
    As stated before, IE hashed up the timetable by putting in the 6.17pm all-stops train to Longford. No-one beyond Enfield wanted to use the train because it was too slow. There was an outcry and Cullen, fearing a FF meltdown in Mullingar/Longford, forced IE to add the 6pm train.
    This rendered the 6.17 as pointless beyond Enfield, but the timetables were already out so it couldn't be pulled.

Don't forget people are commuting from places like Thurles and no-one bats an eyelid because a decent InterCity service already exists.
    The Sligo InterCity is a sh1t service and "Longford" trains are plugging the gaps in many places.
    If someone competent was employed to timetable Connolly trains, I'm sure capacity could be enhanced to a considerable degree while maintaining decent service levels. I could have done a better job myself.
    One simple example: schedule the 6.50am train from Sligo to leave at 6.05am instead, and cancel the 7.00am Longford-Pearse.
    Sligo/Leitrim/Roscommon people are delighted to have a train getting to Dublin 45 mins earlier.
    Longford/Mullingar people are delighted to have 30 minutes shaved off their morning commute.
    A driver and four 29000 coaches are freed up.
    WIN WIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

John J wrote:
    There was an outcry and Cullen, fearing a FF meltdown in Mullingar/Longford, forced IE to add the 6pm train.

Which is why we may be waiting a long time for an improved public transport system. Many current transport decisions have nothing to do with public transport.
    If someone competent was employed to timetable Connolly trains, I'm sure capacity could be enhanced to a considerable degree while maintaining decent service levels. I could have done a better job myself.

As per the earlier quote, Martin Cullen timetables Connolly trains. Why would a competent person bother their hole when their work will be shat on by a politician if it doesn't satisfy their political agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SeanW wrote:
    Quad tracking the entire line from Connolly to Maynooth would be OTT and very expensive, where even possible.
    The hard bit is done already as far as Cabra. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement