Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRL: 2X16 - "The Whole Truth" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options
  • 29-05-2006 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,803 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN "THE WHOLE TRUTH" -

Episode Title: "The Whole Truth"
    Airdate: May 29th 2006

Synopsis (from TV.com):

Sun comes to the revelation that she might be pregnant. She struggles on whether to tell Jin about the situation. Meanwhile, with no success from Jack or Sayid, Ana-Lucia is called in by Locke to interrogate the new prisoner Henry Gale to get more information out of him about the balloon that he and his wife supposedly landed on the island with in the forest. Ana-Lucia, Sayid and Charlie then set out in towards the jungle in search of that balloon.

Next Episode: 2X17 - "Lockdown" - June 5th 2006

Link to US Discussion thread for this episode!

What did you think of "The Whole Truth"? 42 votes

0%
    0%
    4%
    feylyatrishw78 2 votes
    21%
    CrucifixJBoyle4evayom 1tired of life?pokerwidowgustavoFuzzy_Dunlopmetaforahairyfairy00 9 votes
    30%
    Mr EFaithquazzyhomerjkNewaglishfobsDinoBotIdeoBFassassinNUTZZJelloHaven't a Cluecoidi 13 votes
    23%
    sunbeamChazweemcdeirebhoyprospectbikodjkeoghBMHAORMike89 10 votes
    14%
    fjondentDadesdeisedollyNecronomiconannieee 6 votes
    2%
    Killaqueen!!! 1 vote
    0%
    2%
    Hmm_Messiah 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Good solid episode. After Sayid being ready to kill some others, and that ending I can't wait for next weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hmm, with that title you might hope we'd get some answers ;)

Pretty weak episode I thought. Although I did enjoy Henry Gale's little speech at the end, about the hypothetical (or is it?) situation of Sayid, Anna Lucia and Charlie being ambushed. Nice enough way to end it.
    But I didn't think that was enough to call it a particularly good episode. Jin and Sun's back stories tend to be boring imo.

I really don't like seeing the next episode title, it sounds good! I put it through the search and all the votes were at the higher end of the scale. Looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

Good show. Judy Bloom, 'Are you there God, its me Margaret' or something like that. Lmoa. I read that as a child. Freaky ending or what?
    Thank you for posting the link to the US thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

i quite liked the episode. i dont know, i seem to like the episodes where not much happens. i was there thinking it was real predictable(which it was for most) and my theory was that sayid is gonna find the balloon and not tell anyone and then kill your man anyway, now i'm not so sure. The end was a bit of a shock, hes a crafty wee bollocks that henry chap

oh yeah and locke saying "now theres soemone in MY hatch", or words to that effect. Main thing is that he considers it to be his hatch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

good episode i thought . cant wait for next week, ive seen lots of good things about it!charlies comment about "and i'm telling this to you" to ana lucia was priceless, henry gale is a real sinister character has a great ability to unsettle the group. does anyone know what the last thing sayid said to ana lucia when they were having the conversation about her being sorry for what she did ? i missed that . all in all good episode 8 on 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I thought this was an average episode. I'm not really keen on Jin/Sun's flashbacks, I find them quite boring. Henry's comments about taking orders from Jack has hit a nerve spot with Locke, he seems to be taking actions just to irritate Jack, Ana-Lucia's comment, "Jack and Locke are worried about Locke and Jack" was priceless. I really like the last scene with Henry, he's turning into a great characher, the look on Jack and Locke's face when he started ranting about 'if' he was an "other". Looking forward to next week's episode...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I quite liked it. I suppose we needed a breather before the climatic last few eps. It was a nice way to go with this, shrouding Jin's pregnanc in mystery of "Is the hotel guy the father?" and also what has happened to Charlie, Ana0Lucia and Sayid?

Henry's character is extremely enetertaining. I suspect he could be one of the other's now he's manuplating everyone.

i gave this an 8, mostly because I felt that the flashback's weren't that entertaining this week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Some good humour in this episode:

Sawyer reading "Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret".

Hurley running into Sun in the jungle.

Henry's speech at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Average episode, Suns pregnancy could have been just as easily a secondary story in a better episode. Also, they are on the island over two months now, so I doubt the Hotel guy is the father, as she would have most likely been sick earlier in her pregnancy, Michael maybe???!!! Or is Jins impotence cured, like Lockes legs, or Charlies addiction?

Henrys speech was good, but I thought the comment he made about Jack & Locke always fighting could have a positive effect. It is the first time it has been put to them that they are being idiots.

I gave it a 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

prospect wrote:
    Or is Jins impotence cured, like Lockes legs, or Charlies addiction?
    I'm thinking this too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MeTV

prospect wrote:
    Or is Jins impotence cured, like Lockes legs, or Charlies addiction?
    That was my original thinking as well, but then, after Sun tells Jin that she wasn't unfaithful to him and they hug, she looked very uncomfortable, as though she's just lied to him. Jin did seem far too willing to believe her about that too - if your wife's just told you she's pregnant and you're impotent, is a miracle really the logical assumption you're going to jump to?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Jin isn't impotent guys, just infertile, there's a difference.

A few things about this episode:
    - Charlie is getting ever more sinister.
    - Anna Lucia had the best line.
    - They should stop using Hurlery for comic relief. That scene in the jungle was just so forced.
    - Jin can't make up his mind. About anything.

Finally, I can't make up my mind about Henry Gale. Either he's a really manipulative other or a really naive innocent. All won't be revealed in time, I'm sure.

I'm with you Earthhorse - at the moment I don't believe Henry is an Other, I think his manipulation of the survivors is simply a ploy to get them at each others' throats so that he can try and get away from them while they're distracted. Also, I really don't trust Danielle so am very wary of taking anything we learn from her to be true.

Anyone else find it odd that Sun asked Jin to give her 20 minutes in the garden? Most people would have simply said 15 minutes or quarter of an hour if putting a time on it, seemed strange to me that she was that specific with the time.

And, was I the only one a bit peeved by Ana's assumption that Charlie didn't know how to handle a gun when we've seen he was pretty handy with it when dealing with Ethan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

MeTV wrote:
    That was my original thinking as well, but then, after Sun tells Jin that she wasn't unfaithful to him and they hug, she looked very uncomfortable, as though she's just lied to him. Jin did seem far too willing to believe her about that too - if your wife's just told you she's pregnant and you're impotent, is a miracle really the logical assumption you're going to jump to?

they've been on the island longer than her pregnancy period so far... maybe charlie slipped her a length when he knocked her out???

loon wrote:
    they've been on the island longer than her pregnancy period so far... maybe charlie slipped her a length when he knocked her out???

Just think about that for a second.
    MeTV wrote:
    I'm with you Earthhorse

Cool. How long will it take you to build me an army?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Distinctly average for me.
    It shouldn't take 50 mins (okay more like 35) to find out Sun is pregnant with a mystery child and Henry drew them a map to his balloon.

I'm starting to think the other faceless survivors must have more interesting lives, even if there's only a bit actual conversation or sex going on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Thinking about it a bit more, I really don't think Sun's baby is Michael or baldy's (anyone remember his name??)
    If you remember when she goes to talk to Jack and he confirms it, she claims that it's "impossible". At this stage we were still under the impression that Sun was the one who was infertile so this comment wasn't a surprise. But she obviously wouldn't think it's impossible if she slept with anyone else.

anyone remember his name??
    Jae Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

impotent v infertile - my mistake.

To continue,
    Yes, I do think the baby is Jins. As pointed out, Suns reaction to Jack would suggest that she had not been unfaithful.

Also, regarding Henry Gale, it is possible that he thinks Jack & Locke & Co. are others! (but I doubt it, he is too confident and sinister)

What annoyed me most about this episode is there was absoloutly no mention or link or continuation of the revelations in last weeks EXCELLENT episode. Why did someone not go back and investigate the new hatch further? Why did they not discuss Claires memories? Why? Why? Oh dear god why?

On the plus side, it has been soooo long since we heard "But, they took mah boy"

The other possibility for Sun's claim that her pregnancy was impossible is that she was unfaithful but they'd taken precautions against her beoming pregnant.

The more I think about it, though, and the more I discuss it with other people the more I want to put my stock in the island curing Jin's infertility. However, if we are to go with the theory of the island having healing powers, why hasn't it fixed James' eyesight? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Cooee

Far and away the worst episode. Just a filler - nothing happens, story doesn't move, no character development. I gave it a 1 as there was no lower score.
    The whole eposide could have happened in 5 minutes. Sun pregnant, Henry draws a map!
    And that was it - this is beginning to border on the ridiculous :mad:

You could have missed this episode and my summary would have brought you up to speed! They need to get their act together!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

liked this episode I don't really buy the whole Jin being cured. I'm really liking the way Henry is playing everyone. I liked the end where he was sitting at the table saying is that ceral is it in date where did it come from, why aren't you more curouis. Spot on why aren't they asking more questions about the hatch

Oh and he knows what the computer is for did you see his eyes fixate on it

they've been on the island 50 odd days and she's only just late... surely somebody would've noticed sun sleeping around... mainly jin!!

i think vincent is the father...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MIGWAR-DWP

yOU BLAME VINCENT FOR EVERYTHING. i THINK YOU'VE REACHED THE SAME POINT AS ME:

aLL THE EXPLANATIONS FOR STUFF ARE RUBBISH AND THE WHOLE SHOW HAS NO SOUL ANY MORE...

i'LL WATCH SEASON TWO TIL THE FINALE, BUT IF
    IT TURNS INTO A LOVE STORY
    , I'M NOT GONNA WATCH SEASON THREE...

UNLESS THEY FINALLY
    EXPLAIN THE BLACK ROCK, POLAR BEAR AND PILOT'S DEATH PROPERLY

MIGWAR-DWP wrote:
    yOU BLAME VINCENT FOR EVERYTHING. i THINK YOU'VE REACHED THE SAME POINT AS ME:

aLL THE EXPLANATIONS FOR STUFF ARE RUBBISH AND THE WHOLE SHOW HAS NO SOUL ANY MORE...

UNLESS THEY FINALLY
    EXPLAIN THE BLACK ROCK, POLAR BEAR AND PILOT'S DEATH PROPERLY

WHAT! sun and vincent.. now thats just sick.. i've heard of koreans eating dogs.. but dogs eating koreans??

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

Earthhorse wrote:
    A few things about this episode:
    - Charlie is getting ever more sinister.

I think Charlie is just trying to survive on the island.....aren't they all.....but with Charlie, he's been made out to be a fool in front of everyone. He definitely has the funnest lines and the bit when he was gonna hand over the gun to Ana but take it away at the last minute to give it to Sayid was hilarious!
    Definitely a bit weird though, maybe moody....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

oh another thing i noticed was that when Henry and AL were talking in the hatch Jack couldnt hear them but in an earlier episode Henry said that he could hear everything cos the walls were like paper, this could contibute to the theory of his super-human 'other' hearing abilities or just mean that they weren't talking when Jack was trying to hear them

Yup, noticed that as well but I'm going to go with a continuity screw up on the part of creative there as, when Sayid was in there with Henry, they could be heard outside the safe.

I'm also throwing my hat in the "Island cured Jin" ring.

On the US thread they were speculating that the Dharma Initiative were responsible for the pregnancy with reference to Locke's mother's "immaculate conception", which is also a theory worth considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

MIGWAR-DWP wrote:

Well, if this is to be believed, you're about to get your life back ;) .

Advertisement