Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dre is d best rapper on d planet!agree r disagree??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Oh man, can the mods please start handing out bans for the text-speak, its infuriating!

Back to the thread, without a shadow of a doubt Dre cannot be classed as the best rapper on the planet! As said before, i don't think he'd figure he'd appear in my top 50 if we are talking about it purely from an MC perspective.

There's no doubt he's a better producer than rapper and while i did like the Chronic (wouldn't say love it now), i found 2001 overlong and with the exception of a few nice beats and tight production, to be quite poor.

He's stayed on top for so long imo through being an excellent businessman, and essentially by managing to make pop music but retain some credibility.

Primo doesn't make as commercially successful music as Dre, but i don't think that qualifies dre as a better producer than him. I'd take a primo produced album over Dre's any time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Here's a thought...
    Has Dre been accepting credit for all the production, even though its mostly a team effort. Scott Storch works with Dre an awful lot and has done for years but never got any credit until he started doin his own work. And if you notice, his and Dre's production are very similar. Maybe Storch developed the sound and Dre took the credit.
    Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ciaran13

Uhm check the credits in your album sleave?! There's the proof. You'll see a number of different names under the writing credits.

the reason theres differnt names there is because many people had verses on each song you fukin dummy.

saying it is "well known" is not a fact!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

DJ Premier doesn't compare to Dre from a commercial point of view. The albums Dre produces sell millions, the albums Premier produces don't. His music has had a bigger impact I think(although its close). Hence, he's more successful. I'm a big fan of Premier though.

Well I agree Dre doesn't actually put out that many songs. He doesn't need to I guess, he makes his money off the albums he produces. For the record I agree RZA is probably better. I don't think I'd put the other two above Dre though(not that they're rubbish or anything, they'd run him close).

Look at the sales from Dr. Dre produced albums in the last few years(end of page): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Dre

Umm I never said he was.All round,Premo has been in the game longer,has put out more music and is widely seen as Hip-Hop's greatest producer.Now from a commercial point of view he isn't touching Dre,but as an all round producer he wins with ease.
    Most of these are off the back of at least 1 Dre single. I don't think Kanye, Storch or the neptunes can compete with that. Storch is of course a product of Dre.

With Busta Ryhmes, The Game, 50 and Dre all to drop records soon it looks like he'll be at the top for a while yet.

There just seems to be a lot more from the Neptunes then Dre from a commercial point of view these days.While neither have made an 'In Da Club',both SS and the Neptuunes have had more hits then Dre over the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

ciaran13 wrote:
    the reason theres differnt names there is because many people had verses on each song you fukin dummy.

A) Banned for personal abuse.

B) The nature of ghost writing is you don't put your name to it but you write it for someone else. So get a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

ciaran13 wrote:

"A Nigga wit a gun" writing credits - DOC and Snoop (Note Dre isn't credited at all)

Number of guests on it = zero

One example, I can't be bothered looking for more. He doesn't write alot of his lyrics, alot of rappers don't, they have ghostwriters. (Fat Joe another example. He writes only about 25% of his rhymes) That was the point I was making. No need to get so defensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

get the **** outta here...dre the best???no ****in way..........dre and best in the same line cannot be said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

David19 wrote:
    Name a producer who's been as successful as Dre for as long as he has?
    Rick Rubin..
    Prince Paul.

And whats the definition of success here? Dollars or quality tunes?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Orizio wrote:
    Umm I never said he was.All round,Premo has been in the game longer,has put out more music and is widely seen as Hip-Hop's greatest producer.Now from a commercial point of view he isn't touching Dre,but as an all round producer he wins with ease.

What I was originally replying to was you saying there's more successful commercial producers than Dre, that's what I meant by successful.

Has Premo been making records longer than Dre? The first album Dre produced was in 1987, the first DJ Premier produced album was in 1989. Also Dre produced his first song in 1984. By 1990 Dre had 5 albums produced, Premier had one. I'm not aware of anything by Premier pre-1989. From their discographies I think Dre has put out more.

Dj Premier's best period was around 94-96 when he contributed to some of the best rap albums ever e.g both of Biggie's, Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt. Dr. Dre's moment has been from 1989(Straight Outta Compton) to beyond now(Detox, new Game and Busta). He's stayed relevant and on top for far longer.
    There just seems to be a lot more from the Neptunes then Dre from a commercial point of view these days.While neither have made an 'In Da Club',both SS and the Neptuunes have had more hits then Dre over the last 5 years.

I don't think Storch has. Neptunes have put out more songs recently. It's not a fair comparison though, as Dre has always been more of an album producer than someone who will produce a single for anyone with money(ala neptunes). From the link I posted I reckon sales wise its better to have Dre producing for you than the Neptunes.

evil_seed wrote:
    Here's a thought...
    Has Dre been accepting credit for all the production, even though its mostly a team effort. Scott Storch works with Dre an awful lot and has done for years but never got any credit until he started doin his own work. And if you notice, his and Dre's production are very similar. Maybe Storch developed the sound and Dre took the credit.
    Just a thought.

When I talk about Dre I mean him and his team, which sometimes includes storch. If you read the credits he gives everyone credit.

Primo doesn't make as commercially successful music as Dre, but i don't think that qualifies dre as a better producer than him. I'd take a primo produced album over Dre's any time

It's not about who you'd prefer merely who's more successful.
    Sajan wrote:
    Rick Rubin..
    Prince Paul.

And whats the definition of success here? Dollars or quality tunes?

Apart from a couple of songs Rubin has been producing rock and metal for years. He's not relevant. Premier and Dre are better and more succesful than Prince Paul IMO.

Success = quality of tunes, impact on hip hop, relevance throughout a long period, longevity and if you're talking about commercial success(as I originally was) then sales too.

Anyway one thing most of us can agree on, he's not the best rapper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

A couple of songs... Are yah mad.

Radio - LL Cool J (1985)
    Licensed to Ill - Beastie Boys (1986)
    Raising Hell - Run-D.M.C. (1986)
    Tougher Than Leather - Run-D.M.C. (1988)
    Amethyst Rock Star - Saul Williams (2001)

And as for his overall impact on Hip Hop..

Emm. Def jam ring a few bells? Possibly the first Hip Hop label.. This man was one of the pioneers of Hp Hop..

Im aware of who Rick Rubin is. As I said he hasn't really been relevant to hip hop in the last few years(apart from a couple of songs). He's been producing rock and metal for the last 20 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rubin

Given what I define as successful I don't think he's quite up there with Dre. By the way I never said Rubin didn't have an impact on hip hop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

evil_seed wrote:
    Here's a thought...
    Just a thought.

I know that Scott Stortch was behind the brilliant piano intro bit on Still Dre, which was largely overlooked. Also, Mike Elizondo was largely responsible for In Da Club. I think its fair to say Dre produced them though, he made some of the beat, and he got guys like Mike and Scott who can play piano/guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭N05H3AD

Orizio wrote:
    That wasn't sarcasm.It was my way of expressing my dislike of anyone saying such a rapper could be a Hip-Hop 'legend'.

And more importantly it wasn't being sarcastic so as to invite a reaction from the forums other posters,like aftermathcrew has done.If he is actually being sarcastic,which I doubt.

no but you were being sarcastic (a.k.a annoying as hell) to get me to react otherwise you wouldn't have called me "dude" a second time. also i didn't call him a hip-hop legend i said he was a legend which i explained to you already.

fatal wrote:
    get the **** outta here...dre the best???no ****in way..........dre and best in the same line cannot be said

Dre isn't the best, there said it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭aftermathcrew

N05H3AD wrote:
    wat is wrong with you, there are so many rappers out there you cannot possibly say one rapper is the best :mad:
    of course you can.who's your favourite rapper then????:D

of course you can.who's your favourite rapper then????:D
    there's a difference between your own personal fav and saying one is the best, my fav, personally is Dr.Dre with King T and YB close behind

N05H3AD wrote:
    there's a difference between your own personal fav and saying one is the best, my fav, personally is Dr.Dre with King T and YB close behind
    i know.i asked you a question.it wasn't the same question as on the top of this thread

of course you can.
    you said that you can say one rapper is the best and the proof is on the page.

N05H3AD wrote:
    you said that you can say one rapper is the best and the proof is on the page.
    i know.i was explaining to you what exactly i meant!!

• Advertisement

i know.i was explaining to you what exactly i meant!!
    alright, WEEAAAUUGGHHH!!!!:D

N05H3AD wrote:
    you are right about king t he is a legend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭whosdaman

dre was good the cronic etc. but i loved notorious big....
    life after death is my fave cd ever.

whosdaman wrote:
    dre was good the cronic etc. but i loved notorious big....
    life after death is my fave cd ever.
    not a fan of the notorious b.i.g, but the chronic is good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Dre isn't anywhere near the best rapper on Aftermath, let alone the planet.

producer wise, he's quite good, rapping wise he's weak as ****.

Advertisement