Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest'06

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

that finland song was crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

He he well done Lordi and Finland. I knew the minute I saw them on Thursday evening the title was theirs. (sorry now i didn't bet on it) Excellent song as the controversy it caused in Finland (people asking the president to ban them etc.) A bit of proper Music (I found it a song good, costumes questionable, but good none the less). At least things are headed slightly westwards. Monaco FTW and our 10 points. I guess Poland would have got 12 from us had they made the final. Our Immigrant population now heaving its weight.

I reckon if we got ten farmers from Connamara and dress them up in mucky Wellingtons with baling twine holding up their pants etc. and have Irish music mixed in with a little rap and speedy dance and a few *cough* riiaades of luvly irish ladies with mini skirts leaving little to the imagination :D . To add to it have hatred lyrics of either England (We have something to hate them for) or else something else controversial. Top up the Connamara Farmers with Potcheen and make a scene. Then and then alone I think will we eventually finish in the top five of not win it. Sending out single male singers is farcical Mickey Harte, Chris Doran, Brian Kennedy, for feck sake do something stupid Father Ted style. Wreck a few hotel rooms or whatever. We can win this thing again. I reckon it would work. The block voting is a total hames the former Yugoslavian countries and soviet bloc are especially bad. Adding to that Montenegro may be an Independent country next year if their referendum is passed in favour of it. Another 12 points to Serbia I suppose.

Where the heck was France going also?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

yeah, we should get the US in so that all the irish decendants can start earning their keep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

yeah, we should get the US in so that all the irish decendants can start earning their keep
    Meh, they did give a couple of million to de Valera for the War of Indepence. Anyway, I think it would just be France, nil points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sinead_t

Yep i reckon we need something MAD next year! Not feckin linda martin and pat kenny sittin in a studio pickin a song...i think we should send podge and rodge next year!!!!! How class would that be :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

BMH wrote:
    Meh, they did give a couple of million to de Valera for the War of Indepence. Anyway, I think it would just be France, nil points.
    yeah but thats offset by them invading us with mcdonalds and ruining our children!!!!. wont somebody think of the children.

still. finland totally deserved it. ive been saying it all week and been getting strange looks

think, what would have happened if lordi had auditioned in eurostar two years ago?
    feckin 13 year old girls and their txts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Yeah, Podge and Rodge rapping as Gaeilge would rock harder than those Finnish feraks.
    Just somethong completely random and off-the-wall.

Oh, oh, oh, that guy who did "Aon focail dó focail, trí focail..." kitted from top to bottom in farmer's gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

iFight wrote:
    do yall actually think that they deserved it...THey were ****!!!!
    My grandfather used to say "there's no accounting for taste", you didn't like it, a few voters did.

As entertainment goes, it entertained me. Energetic, the Lord of the rings look - excellent, a bit of magic and that's what the eurovision is about.

In fairness it's not Thin Lizzy's Chinatown, Sex Pistols Bodies, Stiff Little Finger's Bloody Sunday, or anything esle, but I don't care what it's not, it was the most enjoyable of what I saw tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Highlight of the evening - your one reading out the votes from Iceland. Douze points.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Finland..well done :D

I like Romania as well, and can't believe Bosnia Hertozgovina did as well as they did. Ah well..that's that done for another year ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Great to see rock music triumph in the Eurovision - At last. Well done Lordi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Congrats to Lordi and Finland!

I'd have been proud to have something camp and crazy like that representing us instead of Brian Kennedy and his play-it-safe wishy washy craporama.

Well excuse me now. I must go off and sharpen my fangs in time for the day of rockoning....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Legends!
    I think thats the first time a good song won the eurovision.
    Infact, I think its the first time a good song was PLAYED in the eurovision.

Excellent, I see the dawning of a new era.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well done to Finaldn!
    I can't believe Russia got as far as they did with their heap of ****e song!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bazzer06

Tellox wrote:
    Legends!
    I think thats the first time a good song won the eurovision.
    Infact, I think its the first time a good song was PLAYED in the eurovision.

Excellent, I see the dawning of a new era.

why do i've the feeling you only think its good coz it was rock and it verges on "cool"? Not saying i didn't like it but lets not jump the gun here - Eurovision has produced some excellent pop - Waterloo, Fly on the wings of love, Making Your Mind Up etc as well as other genres - the Voice, Nocturne, Volare and others...
    Its not all crap!
    Although admittedly in recent years it has got a lot more predictable and "samey". if anything, this winner is more a move away from the "song" towards the performance!
    However at the end of the day, its only a bit of fun anyway!
    But BRING BACK THE JURIES!!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In fairness, I think Lordi upheld the long-standing Eurovision tradition of really crap songs. I reckon millions of people voted for them simply because they're so different from the normal Eurovision drivel, both musically and visually, rather than for the fact that they actually liked the song. I know I would have if I'd been arsed voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

bazzer06 wrote:
    why do i've the feeling you only think its good coz it was rock and it verges on "cool"? Not saying i didn't like it but lets not jump the gun here - Eurovision has produced some excellent pop - Waterloo, Fly on the wings of love, Making Your Mind Up etc as well as other genres - the Voice, Nocturne, Volare and others...
    Its not all crap!
    Although admittedly in recent years it has got a lot more predictable and "samey". if anything, this winner is more a move away from the "song" towards the performance!
    However at the end of the day, its only a bit of fun anyway!
    But BRING BACK THE JURIES!!!

I dont listen to pop. But I do listen to metal/hard rock etc. And so, I thought their entry was fantastic. And Europe stands behind me on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I take it the record company will be going into overdrive on Monday?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

mike65 wrote:
    I take it the record company will be going into overdrive on Monday?

Mike.

Presumably. We'll all wish the thing wasn't written this day next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

BMH wrote:
    Yeah, Podge and Rodge rapping as Gaeilge would rock harder than those Finnish feraks.
    Just somethong completely random and off-the-wall.

Oh, oh, oh, that guy who did "Aon focail dó focail, trí focail..." kitted from top to bottom in farmer's gear.

And Aine from Sligoone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Can't belive Finland's song won.... what a kind of show has this eurovision become. A bunch of crazy looking loons on stage chanting with mad looking plasticine stuck on their faces... weird.. and as for the song... i didnt hear any of them singing...

what happened to the days of lovely songs and nice outfits...

ah well fair play finland... its a shocker of a win!

(at least my paddypower account ain't damaged... thanks to russia and b-h ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Tellox wrote:
    I dont listen to pop. But I do listen to metal/hard rock etc. And so, I thought their entry was fantastic. And Europe stands behind me on that one.

I like hard rock too but that Lordi song was very average.
    Finland has some great Goth/Love and Death Metal bands but that Lordi song was pretty average.
    I have watched the Eurovision every year for the last 15 years and the standard has gone to the dogs over the last 5 years.
    The people taking part now are not musicians they are talentless hacks.
    Lordi were one of the best of a putred bunch.
    I think I'll have to restore Irelands reputation next year .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

rsta wrote:
    Can't belive Finland's song won.... what a kind of show has this eurovision become. A bunch of crazy looking loons on stage chanting with mad looking plasticine stuck on their faces... weird.. and as for the song... i didnt hear any of them singing...

You've never been to a Korn gig have you?

I LIKE THIS DIRECTION THE EUROVISION HAS TAKEN!

DOUZE POINTS FROM ME!

No I've never been to a Korn gig, but if its anything like that Finlandia act I don't think I'd be into it!

Do Korn wear plasticine on their faces too??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Surely the Latvians should have won for the book -> dancing, waving robot transformation, the single best moment of television ever
    :?

I reckon Silvia Night from Iceland should have won, she was brilliant!

she didnt qualify though...

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

irish voters voted lithuania's "we are the vinners" the top song!!!!!!!!!:eek:

again the whole voting thing was an absolute disgrace ,

BOHSBOHS wrote:
    irish voters voted lithuania's "we are the vinners" the top song!!!!!!!!!:eek:

again the whole voting thing was an absolute disgrace ,

I missed it. Are you serious? That song was a load of Hillary Swank (And you know I'm not talking about the actress) douze points for Lithuania's We are the winners ?? What a disgrace

Well obviously there were NO irish televoters only the Lithuanian immigrants voted tonight...

What a pis* take

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Yeah we gave Lithuania a good score.
    Doesn't take a rocket scientist to wonder why.

Advertisement