Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Economy. What do you get with your car?

Options
  • 18-05-2006 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

With the price of petrol these days I was curious as to what mileage what cars get.

I'm thinking about getting a 97/98 Astra. 1.4 Petrol. Anybody got one/ had one? How much would you get out of a full tank? How much to fill it?

Perhaps this could be made a sticky. If everyone posted up the different cars it would be a usefull resource for reference. Especially since petrol prices aren't going to go down.

I currently have:
    Car: 93 VW Golf.
    Full tank: About 440 miles.
    To Fill from near empty: €50.
    Get about 100 miles for a tenner.

Any one else? Let's see who the heavy drinkers and who the sippers are :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

Ay Cee wrote:
    You sure about that?! I calculate that to be about 45mpg

€50 divide by €1.15 a ltr = 43.48ltrs = 9.568 gallons
    So 440miles / 9.568 = 45.97mpg!

Personally I get 32.5mpg from my 1.4 and maximam range is about 350miles

Is this a diesel golf or have you stripped out the interior of the car, replaced all panels with carbon fibre and taped up the panel gaps.

100 miles for a tenner! From a '93 Golf

€10 @ €1.15 a ltr = 8.695ltrs = 1.91534gallons
    100miles / 1.915gallons = 52mpg :eek:

My calculations have to be wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Yeah it's about 50 quid. Give or take a couple of euros here and there.
    1.4 Petrol. I wouldn't be a hard driver, impossible in a car that heavy anyway :D

I take it that's good then?

Roughly a hundred miles for the tenner. With the price of the petrol now it'll obviously be less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

1998 Ford Mondeo 2.0lt(petrol) Ghiax saloon 106'000 miles
    61.5 Lt fuel tank which is €70 to fill @ 114.9 per LT
    I get nearly 500 miles to a tank which is 90% N11 driving
    which is roughly 36mpg:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Ay Cee wrote:
    Yeah it's about 50 quid. Give or take a couple of euros here and there.
    1.4 Petrol. I wouldn't be a hard driver, impossible in a car that heavy anyway :D

I take it that's good then?

Yeah its good. As good as the hybrid cars are doing. You might have to o your calculation again :)

Fill your tank.
    Drive for 300 miles.
    Fill tank again.
    What you put in the second time is the amount it took to drive 300 miles.

JimmySmith wrote:
    Fill your tank...

The head gasket's about to go so I won't be doing that any time soon. Just waiting on it to die :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Ay Cee wrote:
    I'm thinking about getting a 97/98 Astra. 1.4 Petrol. Anybody got one/ had one? How much would you get out of a full tank? How much to fill it?

I have a '98 Astra 1.2 (For Sale!) and a full tank costs about €45 edging closer to €50 now:eek:
    And I get 350 ish miles from a fill - most of this is a short commute and if I go on longer drives a tank could get around 400 miles.

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I drive a 1.6 Hyundai Coupe, and get about 400 miles out of a full tank, which at the moments costs me €65, which equals ~56 litres at the price I pay here at the moment (116.9/lt). There's a lot of urban driving in that, not a lot of long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

It really depends on the kind of driving you are doing. Off peak and avoiding heavy traffic I can get over 40mpg in a 2L. However in peak traffic through the city center (which I normally do) its about 20-25mpg. Haven't done any really off peak journeys lately so all I can remember is the worst case.

Micra 1.0 - €35 - 220 miles
    Primera 2.0 €50 - 250miles
    CRX 1.6 - €35 - 250 miles
    Astra 1.7TD €40 - 450 ish miles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

3.0 Petrol

Usually between 27-36 mpg depending on the roads I drive

Anyway, whats with the miles per tenner measurement - Is that not a very *loose* measurement of fuel economy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭qazz

laguna 98' 1.6 - for 60 euro about 400 miles

Ah I just put in there, for the "i've only got a tenner on me, how far will I get" :D

I should have mentioned most of my driving would be longish journeys. Not as much stuck in traffic.
    Astra 1.7TD €40 - 450 ish miles
    That's very good isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

1999 1.4 Opel Astra

39mpg, bang on with specs so happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Ay Cee wrote:

Car: 93 VW Golf.
    Get about 100 miles for a tenner.

Any one else? Let's see who the heavy drinkers and who the sippers are :D

This man tells no lies. I have a '92 MK3(Carb) 1.4 and I get 43mpg+ from Kilkenny to Cork via the N8, and regularly get 40mpg just "tippin around".

It says in the maual that you can get 50mpg+ to the gallon driving continuously at 50mph!
    Mayshine wrote:
    Anyway, whats with the miles per tenner measurement - Is that not a very *loose* measurement of fuel economy

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Ay Cee wrote:
    Ah I just put in there, for the "i've only got a tenner on me, how far will I get" :D

I should have mentioned most of my driving would be longish journeys. Not as much stuck in traffic.

That's very good isn't it?

Its accurate enough to get some idea what your using. Most people haven't a clue.

450 seems about right for a diesel. We have a 1.9 VW (non TD) that gets slightly less, about 400 on average. Aparently diesels are very efficient at slow speeds and thus in traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

fletch wrote:
    You sure about that?! I calculate that to be about 45mpg

€50 divide by €1.15 a ltr = 43.48ltrs = 9.568 gallons
    So 440miles / 9.568 = 45.97mpg!

Personally I get 32.5mpg from my 1.4 and maximam range is about 350miles

seems about right - getting ~43 mpg from my 1.4 99 megane with a boot full of crap that I should really take out! :)

comanche wrote:
    seems about right - getting ~43 mpg from my 1.4 99 megane with a boot full of crap that I should really take out! :)
    Suppose it depends on the type of driving you are doin...all my drivin is in and around Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

2003 Renault Laguna II 1.6 petrol with 110k miles: 44 mpg
    2000 Renault Megane 1.4 16v petrol with 70k miles: 52 mpg :eek:
    1996 Renault Megane 1.4 8v petrol with 130k miles: 47 mpg

Therefore I reckon I get around 85-100 miles from a tenner in these cars.

As already stated it really does depend on the sort of driving you do. If I was stuck in traffic all day the above averages would be way lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Average at 33mpg (3 litre diesel auto) up to 45mpg on long journeys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

SEAT Leon 1.9TDi Did 60.1 mpg from Kerry to Dublin last week (according to trip computer)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

VW Bora diesel; around 630 miles to a tank of juice; think its around 50mpg (12.5 gallon tank).Delighted with it, espec these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i hve an 03 astra and it takes €50 to fill and i get about 320 miles for a tank. i do ****ty little drives though. nothing constant. when i take it to england and drive the motorway a full tank would get me about 480 - 500 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

for longer journeys i can manage about 28mpg, around town can be as low as 15 mpg or so............ so not great:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

159 JTDm 16V
    Currently getting 47-49 MPG mixed driving, with 8K on the clock...

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

R34 Skyline 2.5 Turbo
    Average around 20mpg
    Best 25mpg
    Worst 10mpg (yes, you can actually watch the needle going down)

Hotwheels wrote:
    159 JTDm 16V
    Is the 159 out? Haven't seen any about.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,834 ✭✭✭✭cormie

anyone know how far you'd get with say €50 in this? Hopefully one day I'll actually need to know;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭maidhc

cormie wrote:
    anyone know how far you'd get with say €50 in this? Hopefully one day I'll actually need to know;)

When you buy that car how far it goes on €50 will be of no concern to you.

I get about 540 until the fuel light comes on in my Focus TDCi; so about 600 altogether. The tank takes about 52l.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,834 ✭✭✭✭cormie

hehe:) but just out of curiousity?

Advertisement