Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate people

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Doctor Fell

esel wrote:
    Just to point out a couple of things:

1. You were prescribed a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI). Not a serotonin inhibitor. SSRIs increase the levels of serotonin in the synapses; they do not inhibit serotonin, rather they inhibit its reuptake. Completely different.

2. Exercise produces beta-endorphins. I never heard of it producing serotonin?

Well there's no need for the lecture thx, I'm aware that they were re-uptake inhibitors and of how they work, just thought I would keep it simple as this isn't The Lancet. Curious though, why did u feel this was important to point out, and why did u think I didn't know it anyway? I think you are off topic with your reply.
    Of course endorphins are produced in exercise, thx again, but my doc was of the opinion my serotonin level was consistently higher after exercise. Figure that one out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

Getting back to the original question,
    For many years now I've hated people, people in general. I constantly think about the bad things people do/have done to me. Every day is one long thought about people I've had contact with.

I remember a quote by a Buddhist Lama, it's not exactly this but here goes;
    "It's better to wear leather on your feet, than to try cover all of the ground with leather"

I have had similar experience to what you experience. You are somewhat sensitive to the way people are. I would guess that you really care about what they think of you, regardless of how much you say "I don't care what people think of me".

I don't think you need any more advice. I think you know what will improve things. Decide for yourself what you think will improve things for you, and DO THEM. It won't happen over night, it may take years, but consistently exercising, working on your attitudes, eating healthy, relaxing and letting go of those negative thoughts will all bear fruit in time.

Now it's time to take my own advice! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

People here are telling me that I'm dreaming when I think that things will be different abroad. Basically, I don't want to lead the life that I'm expecting to be ahead of me. This is the whole 'career' thing, everything I can imagine in fact. Just life. And if I can get that here, or anywhere, I'll have reached my goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Muggy Dev

Not sure that I fully understand the meaning of your last post.Could you clarify?

Also,in terms of relationships,do you have a partner/wife/girlfriend etc and how would you describe that relationship.What is your status and future prospects within your job.Finally,what do you enjoy most doing during your spare time?Sorry to ask such personal questions.I've read the thread but I could find no mention of these issues.My appologies in advance if they have already arisen.

Best Wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

The life that is ahead of me - I don't want to live it and am looking for alternatives. I'm not in any relationship. With regard to my present job, it has been made clear to me that my current contract will not be renewed when it runs out and I will have to search for another one. I wouldn't be looking to stay there anyway so that doesn't make any odds to me. I don't enjoy doing anything in my spare time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Muggy Dev

Thank you for your candour.Forgive me but are there any positives for you at this time? What about friends,siblings? Was there ever a time that you remember when things were good and if so what made them so?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

38141 wrote:
    the only hope I have is of leaving the country for somewhere else (where people are different).

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh no. People are the same the world over with just some minor regional variations.

Sounds to me like you have the symptoms of Clinical/Manic Depression.

Find a sympathetic G.P. and contact AWARE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

There'll always be people who say stuff like

Ehhhhhhhhh, and Errrrrrrrrrrr, Or Uhhhhhhhhhhh

Whereever you go, unfortunately...

I suppose the only way to find out if there are as many in different countries as in Ireland is to go away and experience it for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

Moving from where you are in Ireland will bring you new people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

There are certain habits that you can change that may take away some of the layers of friction you have that add up to the overall ambivalence you feel about people.

Take driving for one. If you have certain standards when driving; say indicating in good time before a turn, keeping your distance from the car ahead, unnecessary overtaking etc, and you find most people are terrible drivers on the road and you may want to flash or beep at the other driver, but what I found when I first came to ireland to my surprise, was that although the general level of driving was mad compared to what I was used to, it would just end up being a waste of time trying to vent your anger at other drivers every time they messed up, so I have from day one been completely indifferent.

If someone overtakes me last minute, then brakes suddenly to turn without indicating, I just don't have a bother with it one iota.

The reason is, they will either have to find out for themselves by crashing their own car, why they are mad drivers, and they will ultimately, and for every car you pass on the road every day, what does it matter that another stranger wrapped in their own cocoon is doing as long as you haven't been driven off the road.

Let them carry on, in their own merry way, sure they don't give a hoot about you, but what does it matter, I feel better, by being a calmer, easier going driver, by not bothering a hoot and going my own merry way.

I also think adding a bit of humility to the way you view yourself helps alot too. With the driving scenario, the moment I get to the point that I think the other driver is a bloody fool, I just pause and think I have never been a perfect driver for all the time I have been driving and have certainly done the same things that I would be about to point out was wrong in the other driver so I think to myself, shut up you knob head you are not perfect.

Take this a step further and when you are about to respond to someone about how good you may be at doing something, unless it is a job interview, if it is an everyday conversation, just be self depricating instead and say you are bloody hopeless instead of the best there is.

Whether you were actually going to go on and describe how good you were and you knew it, the other person makes their mind up anyway and actions always prove louder than words. Say little about how grand you are and spend more time getting results by your actions, and eventually people will see the best in you and you have not had to say a word to prove it.

Too much blowing of your own trumpet drives people mad and all the good you think you are doing is actually taken away and people will think you are a hyperventing fart, who is full of it. Just keep saying you are ****e ad let your actions prove otherwise.

Most of the comedians of the 1970's overtaken by the politically correct comedians of the 1980's were shown up because their gags were based on slagging everyone else off, by using racism, sexism, and every other ism when a more self depricating humour was seen to be less threatening and even funnier, and now the likes of Bernard Manning and Freddie Starr who are both full of themselves and still did not want to change, just went by the wayside and are now widely seen as being nasty, bitter old farts, not worth tuppence.

Just avoid loud, aggressive people, look for the good in others, point out the good and avoid trying to put the world to rights in front of people, except if you want to blow off steam in anonymous forums like this where you can talk crap all night long and as long as you don't go too far or ultimately worry what others possibly wrong opinions are too much, you can have a laugh, and you can also learn things too and apologise to strangers you don't even know and say you were talking ****e after all.

I haven't read a verse called "Desiderata" for a long while, but I think it has all the same sort of sentiments I have mentioned above, but I could be talking a load of 'ole toss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Watch this movie:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_the_bleep_do_we_know
    It's about neurochemistry and quantum phyics.
    Should give you a new way of looking at the "problem".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bogey

38141 wrote:
    For many years now I've hated people, people in general. .......... The unsurprising consequence to this is that I've dug myself into a dark, lonely hole. I've gone to the various professionals, to no avail. Does anybody have any experiences similar to this? Or have any insights whatsoever to share?

Professionals?

I'd stay away from the prostitutes for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭staple

As several have already pointed out, people are deeply imperfect, and that includes you and me. You might try to figure out why people you know do the bad things they do: trying to imagine what it feels like to be someone else might make you hate them less, and is good exercise for the imaginative faculty. That bloke you asked directions from has a whole fascinating life leading up to that moment--what was it like? Have you even been rude to a stranger speaking to you (even a bit), and why?

People are strange and endlessly fascinating; it's very easy to judge them bad, but give yourself a mental workout and try to see the bits of good in them.

I recognise and empathise with some of what you've experienced. Obviously we'd be better off if we could change the way we think, what's within, so we should keep working on that (lots of useful suggestions given on this thread).

If nothing else has worked, I think it will change for you when circumstances change, eg you meet some people who creep up on you and you find yourself liking before you have a chance to hate them, you find a nicer job, you find some activity you enjoy. I haven't found those things myself, but will keep looking until I do. Those Others with jobs and partners they like are no better than you or me, goddamit, and we'll get what we deserve in the end ;). Clearly some people thrive when they move to France or US or England. You might find likeable people by moving jobs, careers, counties or neighbourhoods; or you might end up walking the earth, like Kane in Kung Fu.

Keep up the meditation, and whatever else your having spiritually.

Advertisement