Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly Irish place names

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

doonothing wrote: »
    Tuam

Wtf is a tuam.

Found this on urban dictionary.:D
    2. tuam

The perineum on a female. The space between the anus and the vagina. Background : it's a street in Houston, Texas, we were loaded one night and well... if your tuam ever needs medical attention, just take it to Dr. Locke - yeah, we don't know either. It's a great word though.
    Man, she is so pissing me off! I'd like to give that ho a swift boot to the tuam!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

galwayrush wrote: »
    Found this on urban dictionary.:D
    2. tuam

The perineum on a female. The space between the anus and the vagina. Background : it's a street in Houston, Texas, we were loaded one night and well... if your tuam ever needs medical attention, just take it to Dr. Locke - yeah, we don't know either. It's a great word though.
    Man, she is so pissing me off! I'd like to give that ho a swift boot to the tuam!

so its a female gouch?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

theres a place called Ring in west Cork :D

it can be found on google if you look for it.

http://www.property.ie/property-to-let/Lavalley-Ring-Clonakilty-West-Cork/623011/ for example lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Barbieliveshere

Termonfeckin

aaaaannndd

Clogherhead:P

In either meath or louth

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

Ballylickey (Irish: Béal Átha Leice)
    is a village near Bantry, County Cork, Ireland. The River Ovane flows into Bantry Bay at Ballylickey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Teutorix wrote: »
    so its a female gouch?

"Gouch".

I believe the name for the equivalent space (i.e. between the scrotum and the rectum) on the male of the species is called . . . . the scrictum !

. . . or maybe I just made that up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlindedByGInge

Fagg0t hill, beside knocknaheeny in cork city, amuses me, mainly coz theyre a bit touch up there and say theyre from knock instead :D

EDIT: lol a placename comes up as ***** haha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

garbanzo wrote: »
    "Gouch".

I believe the name for the equivalent space (i.e. between the scrotum and the rectum) on the male of the species is called . . . . the scrictum !

. . . or maybe I just made that up

Or the Baarse.
    Betweeb balls and arsehole:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Bijoux

there's a place up the road called cloontyprucklish.....not dirty really, but silly nonetheless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

galwayrush wrote: »
    Or the Baarse.
    Betweeb balls and arsehole:p

Or the tizzent... cos it tizzent your arse and it tizzent your ballsack! :D

Wasn't Richard Whiteley off Countdown the Honourary Mayor of Wetwang in Scotland? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Zaph wrote: »
    Horetown, Co. Wexford
    Which used to run riding weekends..seriously.

What about Pollachapaill(horses hole), on road betwen Callan and Clonmel? There's a place called Bawnamuckaluck outside Rathmore in Co Kerry(literal meaning-the pigs drowned in a lake). Nearby are the twin mountains called the Paps..and smart feckers have built stone cairns on top of each.
    Skeoughavosteen, Co Kilkenny
    Gotham, Bilboa ,Jeruselem and Palatine are all in Carlow.
    Pepperhill (near Buttevant ,Co Cork) Salthill, Co Galway, Vinegar Hill Co Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

smodgley wrote: »
    Ballylickey (Irish: Béal Átha Leice)
    is a village near Bantry, County Cork.
    Yep in The old Irish it means ''place of happy lesbians'':)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

baile an bóthar

could they not have come up with something better :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Cockhill, Co Donegal...near Muff

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

seanybiker wrote: »
    Thats a new one

Yeah, I know of one little township called Passifyoucan. It's near the Dublin/Kildare/Meath borders at 53.383287°N,006.454489°W/O 02826 38125

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Hi,

Like a lot of new placenames (a disgrace that this kind of thing isn't policed more), Norbury Woods, an estate in Tullamore, is named after a grade A ****bag judge called Lord Norbury who was responsible for the hanging and persecution of too many locals.

Luckily, one local decided to put him beyond use and that was that.

Also, Main Street in Tullamore. For F**k's sake, the Main Street is William Street, not a new street designed by a developer.

Our planners were asleep for the last decade. However our ancestors had a sense of humour.

The fastest stretch of road in Ireland (based on Garda stats) was always Ginnybanwn Hill, the long descent just outside Tyrellspass, which was the old N6 galway route. Just East of that on the Dublin side is a wee townland called TORQUE!! Now where are the bikini-clad minxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Also, Main Street in Tullamore. For F**k's sake, the Main Street is William Street, not a new street designed by a developer.

I think every county and in the country has a main street, nevermind major towns such as Tullamore...:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Siberia, it's in sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

In county meath we have nobber. On the way out there is muff crescent. So imagine you live at 69, muff crescent, nobber, co.meath!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

there's also a place called fury hill in nobber.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

boston in county clare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Siberia, it's in sligo.
    According to Scooter, it's "the place to be" too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Valhalla - not sure of exact location, but between Dromore West and Ballisodare in County Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Camp, Co Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 40 malvec

Tonragee, Co Mayo - english translation - backside to the wind - i kid you not:D

just found this link some good ones here:

http://thatsireland.com/2007/10/05/quiz-childishly-rude-irish-placenames/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Hackballs Cross in Louth :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Knocknaskibal in Co.Mayo,this one is really fun to say fast.........! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Doon Co. Limerick

not that funny untill u use the Irish name :"Dun Bleisce" and translate that

:FORT HARLOT (prostitute or whore.)

Classy Place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

There's a place in Limerick called Sugarhill. Nothing unusual there until you see its Irish version, which is Cnoc an Chaca (Shít Hill).

See more details here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Siberia, it's in sligo.

Where is that???

I grew up in an area called Tonaphubble in Sligo. The Irish translation says Thon na Phobail. Sorry now, my Gaeilge is a bit rusty, but does that sort of translate to 'ar*se of the community/public?'

Advertisement