Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I’m so sorry to see so many people losing their pets. This is our first year without our precious mutt Emma who was pts last September & it is still raw. Although we now have a wee rescue who is a bit neurotic at times, I do find that my grief over the loss of Emma feels as strong today as the day we had to let her go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

I’m so sorry to see so many people losing their pets. This is our first year without our precious mutt Emma who was pts last September & it is still raw. Although we now have a wee rescue who is a bit neurotic at times, I do find that my grief over the loss of Emma feels as strong today as the day we had to let her go...

I'm the same as yourself, had to say goodbye to my boy in October & still feel a pain walking in the door from work in the evenings & not having him run to greet me. I also have to admit i shed a few tears on Christmas Day over him not being there in the hustle and bustle of the day. I am planning to adopt another dog around the summer time maybe, just not at the moment as it's still feels too raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

We had a corgi, sonny, for 18 years 2 months and 14 days. Nearly 14 years since he died and theres not a day i dont think of him.

Christmas is a hard time but also a lovely time to remember our departed pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Condolences to those who have lost their pets. X

I have a ritual of lighting a candle every evening for my girl who went to sleep in August. Gives me a little comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

My little man Bruce had to be put to sleep on Wednesday. I adopted him when he was 10. He had been surrendered in an awful state and wasn't expected to live long. I was drawn to him even though I'd always been a big dog person and originally brought him home as a foster. After 3 days I realised I couldn't part from him. He had dry eye and a heart murmur but responded well to his vet treatment. Last year he had to have a lymph node removed when a cancerous lump was found. All the vets commented on his great nature. He was so trusting and rarely needed sedation for all the procedures he underwent which was a lot!
    Couple months ago he was finding it hard to walk and lost his appetite. Vet diagnosed back problems and put him on pain meds. He perked up a bit and I thought he'd overcome it as he had bounced back so many times before the vet used to call him Lazarus 😊 It wasnt to be and when his bloods came back the vet suspected leukemia.
    After exactly 3 years and 11 months I made the heart breaking decision to put him out of his misery. He went so quickly and peacefully. The vets made a print of his paw for me too so I have that to treasure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Sorry for your loss.

Bruce looks so lovely and cosy in those photos. It was very brave of you to take on an older dog, knowing your time together would be short but the heartache would be just as great.

I love the last pic, Bruce getting the big bed all to himself, while the big dog squashes into the tiny bed!

RIP Bruce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Sorry for your loss RIP little boy xx

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

So sorry for your loss xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Tony H

so sorry for your loss , ye were lucky to have found each other and you gave him a great quality of life for his later years , he looked so comfortable and contented in those photos , run free Bruce .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Sorry for your loss Nala.

I know Bruce would have loved every second he spent with your family.

What a miracle he probably thought after what he had been through.

You rescued him from hell to find him a place in your heart.

Look after yourself and be proud of the gift you gave Bruce and the time you spent together.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

My best friend for the last eleven years. She was literally my whole world. I'm too heartbroken for words.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm so so sorry Queen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I’m so sorry QueenMTBee. Bailey looks like she was well loved and clearly gave you much love in return.

RIP Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Bailey looked gorgeous may she rest in peace xxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Beautiful girl

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

3 years today. Feels like only a few weeks. I still remember that day so vividly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

We had a corgi, sonny, for 18 years 2 months and 14 days. Nearly 14 years since he died and theres not a day i dont think of him.

Christmas is a hard time but also a lovely time to remember our departed pets.

Same as myself. My first dog "The Jessie" died 1996, not forgotten.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

It'll be two weeks tomorrow and I'm not coping well at all. I thought I was doing okay but these last couple days I've pretty much cried non stop. I miss her so much. I just feel lost. Evenings/nights are the worst. Not sure why I'm posting - thought it might help to write it down / tell somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    It'll be two weeks tomorrow and I'm not coping well at all. I thought I was doing okay but these last couple days I've pretty much cried non stop. I miss her so much. I just feel lost. Evenings/nights are the worst. Not sure why I'm posting - thought it might help to write it down / tell somebody.

Chat away here. You are in like minded company, We know your love and we know your loss. I have been there before and am going though it all again.

• Advertisement

Two weeks is such a short time, so dont be too hard on yourself. focus on the good times you had with Bailey and the joy that her love brought you.

the biggest negative in pet ownership is that their life span is way too short, but if you had it again, I’m sure you would not change the 11 great years you both shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

One of my mini Dachshunds burst a lumbar disc last summer, he had an operation to clean it up but ended up paraplegic. He never lost his lust for life so we supported him, he had to be carried out for widdles and poos, ultimately suffering months of being expressed, he got a sling and a wheelchair and he defended his realm like always, but eventually,after several ailments we had to decide that his next illness had to be his last illness. He sparkled until his very last day, even protesting indignantly when his brother was taken out for a widdle without him before we set off for the vets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hannadiDBS

Our border collie Missy died last year and it left us heartbroken </3 She was the most friendliest dog in the world, and so loving. Even though she was 13 when she died, she still acted like a puppy when you told her she was going on a walk

Came across this and thought of you all.

mvn2me.jpg[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh love it anewme!

Our neighbourhood cat George passed away yesterday :( Loved seeing his beautiful face and always said "Hey gorgeous George" when he visited or when we saw him on our walks. Very upset that he won't be calling to our garden anymore :( Sleep tight Gorgeous George xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Parents have brought the cat out to be put down. He was 15/16 so I've had him a long time, and he's been on his last legs for a few weeks. Vet said it was coming to the end last week and had days left, but we tried to hope he might improve, but sadly not.

In bits atm, I'm going to miss him so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Just before Christmas two of my cockatiels had a couple of babies. One was weak, rejected by the parents and despite my attempts to hand feed died at about 10 days old. Her name was Sasha.

The other baby went from strength to strength. She was progressing very well until she was about 5 weeks old, when she started trying to get out of the nest box and wouldn't take food from the parents. She would be begging and the parents were trying to feed her but she wouldn't take food. I noticed she was losing weight and she looked lethargic and I thought she was going to die so I took her and started feeding her baby rice until I got proper formula from O'Malley vets. This only lasted two days and Fluffy had enough energy from those feedings that I didn't have to feed her again.

She was doing great until last night when she was 7 1/2 weeks old. I was yapping to my sister in London on the phone when I walked into my kitchen and I noticed Fluffy was on the floor. No problem. She's a young bird testing her wings and it's not the first time she has landed on the floor. Because she is hand tamed I put my finger out for her to step up on it but she wouldn't.

Turns out she couldn't. I nearly had a heart attack when she wouldn't get onto my finger and I realised it was because she had broken her leg. Her leg was so badly broken that a part of the bone was sticking out through the muscle. Her parents were going mental when I picked her up. They knew something was wrong but they didn't want me interfering.

I picked up Fluffy (she was resisting this) and I knew I had to restrain her somehow because her resistance was making her pain worse. I wrapped her up and got her settled (as settled as someone with a broken leg can be). This was about 1am in the morning. I got her to the vet at 8.30 the next day when they opened. `

Fluffy's options were either to be put to sleep or to risk amputation. I wanted to give her the best odds so I chose amputation. Unfortunately she survived the operation but not the anesthetic. She didn't wake up and i'm devastated. The parents even more so. At least I can understand what happened but the mother and father are flying around looking for their baby. It breaks my heart because they are used to me taking Fluffy away and bringing her back and this time they don't understand why Fluffy isn't here.

Anyone who says animals don't have feelings/emotions are idiots.

And one last thing I have to say, this was so random. I thought Fluffy was passed the danger zone where her parents weren't feeding her enough. She was nearly an independant birdie when some freak accident took her away. I still find it so bizzare. One minute she's a happy little birdie and the next she's an amputee who couldn't survive an anestethic.

RIP Fluffy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh Paddy I'm so sorry, people often don't get how much they mean to us.. Make it a good burial and let the parents try to cope like you too, my heart breaks xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Oh Paddy I'm so sorry, people often don't get how much they mean to us.. Make it a good burial and let the parents try to cope like you too, my heart breaks xx
    My first ever cockatiel got out the front door by accident. I was really upset and my boss said "sure it's just a bird, you can buy another one" :mad: What a b!tch. Imagine if I said she could get another dog when hers was put to sleep :rolleyes: Just because it's a bird, doesn't mean it's not loved.

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    My first ever cockatiel got out the front door by accident. I was really upset and my boss said "sure it's just a bird, you can buy another one" :mad: What a b!tch. Imagine if I said she could get another dog when hers was put to sleep :rolleyes: Just because it's a bird, doesn't mean it's not loved.

People have no sense.

Years ago now, our very first family dog had to be put to sleep at the grand old age of 18. My Mum was gutted and took to her bed the whole weekend.

When she went back to work on Monday, she must have said she was not in great form and why. Some smartass from the factory floor came up to her and said, " doggone it Mary" and started to laugh.

She said it was the nearest she ever came to punching someones lights out in work.

Advertisement