Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

We lost Charlie eleven years ago and it was devastating, as we were about to move house we didn't want to bury him in the garden so the vet "took care of him".
    We kept his collar and lead but couldn't look at them for years, now his lead is back in daily use with one or other of our munchkins but his collar would go round both of them so stays in the cupboard.
    When we moved, we brought several large outdoor pot plants with us, some of the plants didn't like the new place, some loved it and I ended up having to repot some of them. When I found the bones that Charlie had buried in the pots, I buckled and wept.
    I kept the best preserved one, but as herself was still not ready, I hid it in a cabinet in the shed and more or less forgot about it.
    Last week I tidied the shed and the cabinet was finally going to the dump having been superseded by a new workbench, I found Charlies bone again and I buckled and wept.
    He was the most fabulous dog, I can still see his muscles rippling as he leapt, backflipping to catch his ball, and later snoring in front of the fire with his legs in the air.
    The new munchkins who eventually replaced him are now older than Charlie was and we have their geriatric problems to clean up, but I dread their trip to the rainbow bridge.

As Kipling wrote

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
    From men and women to fill our day;
    And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
    Why do we always arrange for more?
    Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
    Love unflinching that cannot lie—
    Perfect passion and worship fed
    By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
    Nevertheless it is hardly fair
    To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
    Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
    And the vet’s unspoken prescription runs
    To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
    Then you will find—it’s your own affair—
    But … you’ve given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
    With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!).
    When the spirit that answered your every mood
    Is gone—wherever it goes—for good,
    You will discover how much you care,
    And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We’ve sorrow enough in the natural way,
    When it comes to burying Christian clay.
    Our loves are not given, but only lent,
    At compound interest of cent per cent.
    Though it is not always the case, I believe,
    That the longer we’ve kept ’em, the more do we grieve:
    For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
    A short-time loan is as bad as a long—
    So why in—Heaven (before we are there)
    Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Because they are worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The finding the bones bit just got me.

I love that Kipling Poem.

We are all rooting for the Tintin. I feel as if I know him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We went for cremation and it was a decision that we had to make in a very short space of time. I cant put in a sentence how much comfort it brought and to an extent still gives that we've got a piece of him forever. Its coming on 3 years now and the box is still displayed on a shelf. No idea what we'll do with it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Tony H

Gael23 wrote: »
    We went for cremation and it was a decision that we had to make in a very short space of time. I cant put in a sentence how much comfort it brought and to an extent still gives that we've got a piece of him forever. Its coming on 3 years now and the box is still displayed on a shelf. No idea what we'll do with it in the future.

I know how you feel , I have my last goldens ashes in my bedroom fro the last 9 years and recently I added my Joey's ashes to the collection ,
    We are finally going to put them to rest in the garden soon and we are going to plant a rowan tree in the same area ,
    ps
    We are ready for a new puppy and are getting a new boy at the start of December

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Tony H wrote: »
    We are ready for a new puppy and are getting a new boy at the start of December

Sorry to go off topic but I'm delighted to hear about the new addition Tony H as I remember how heartbroken you were when you lost Joey. Please post pictures when you get your new fella :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I still have Dude's ashes sitting on the mantel piece. We got a lovely urn which is in the shape of a sleeping cat so anyone who comes into the house thinks it's just an ornament but it has his ashes in the middle and a name plate on the bottom. It cost a bit extra but was so worth it

thanks Jellybear , the pain has eased a lot and we feel there is something missing that a ball of fur would help remedy , we will never forget Joey but the good memories will always be there and hopefully some new ones with our new puppy , will post pics on the 2nd of December when we pick him up .

I still have Dude's ashes sitting on the mantel piece. We got a lovely urn which is in the shape of a sleeping cat so anyone who comes into the house thinks it's just an ornament but it has his ashes in the middle and a name plate on the bottom. It cost a bit extra but was so worth it

We looked at that and it was beautiful but at the time the extra cost was just too much for us. What we got is like s jewelry box with his name on a plate on the top. I thought I’d like to put a photograph of him on it but now I like it just as is. It’s not really obvious what it is if you don’t know,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

cmat wrote: »
    Today i was speaking to my 10 yr old son about dogs and mentioned my 1st dog Louie who died 13 years ago. Had to leave the room as i got upset. I also got him cremated but still have him in his little box, 13 yrs later. Can't bury him yet!

My dog Lucy died a couple of years ago and I still have her ashes. I'm gonna take them with me when I go, I dunno if thats weird but its what i'm gonna do!

Snickers - he was rehomed three times in his first year before we met him. He helped my wife and I through some really tough moments over the last few years. We were happy to be there for him until the end. RIP buddy, you'll be chasing squirrels in the sky now.

IMG_20171129_WA0019_800x600.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Dónal wrote: »
    He helped my wife and I through some really tough moments over the last few years.
    I am sure he'll keep helping you both from up there.
    RIP Snickers.

run free Snickers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I know Donal you put photos on the other thread about Snickers and after yesterday's update, I've been thinking about you and Snickers all day in work. Hopefully you get through this tough day. You did what was best for your Buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm so sorry to hear about Snickers. He really landed on his paws with you.

Goodbye Snickers, good dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Donal, I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved family member, Snickers.

As hard as today is, you did right by your pal when it counted most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Oh no, like the others I had been thinking about Snickers too.
    So sad, to loose a good dog.
    The lurcher types are the best.
    He was so lucky to find you after all his misfortunes at the beginning.
    Find yourself another lurcher in need of a home, and give him/her all the love you had for Snickers

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Oh Dónal I’m so sorry about Snickers. Hope yere doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Sorry for your loss xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Poor snickers :( thinking of you at this very difficult time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Took out the tree yesterday, and came across the little penguin decoration that is holding a present labled Bobby. My mum got it for me the first year I was away from home (and Bob) in the run up to Christmas and it's gone on the tree every year since.

We put Bob to sleep in May but still little things like that get me!

• Advertisement

TG1 wrote: »
    Took out the tree yesterday, and came across the little penguin decoration that is holding a present labled Bobby. My mum got it for me the first year I was away from home (and Bob) in the run up to Christmas and it's gone on the tree every year since.

We put Bob to sleep in May but still little things like that get me!

Those little things will get you for a good while still but it does get less often. I would even say they turn into things that make you smile rather than upset you at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

RIP my beautiful, beautiful boy, put to sleep today after a rapid downward spiral over the last few days.

15 of my formative years spent with this guy nearby, got him as a tiny puppy from a rescue when I was 13. Trained him, fed him, spent summers in the woods with him. Of course I moved out when I finished school but he was always there for cuddles whenever I was home. Up until 10 days ago when I brought him for his final short walk and he ran (as fast as his arthritis would allow!) to the gate wagging his tail and looking back at me excitedly. Today the memories are making me cry but I know in time I'll enjoy them.

Imagining him reunited with his adopted sister (photo attached of her too) who we had to put to sleep far too young due to illness a few years ago.

Good dogs (don't fight over those tennis balls too much!)

So sorry for your loss, NeonCookies.

Fabulous looking dog, those deep, soulful eyes.

Tough day for you, take care.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What a lovely, wise, gentle face he had. With a bit of a mischievous glint in his eye too :o
    Take care of yourself neoncookies

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Fabulous looking dog, those deep, soulful eyes.
    DBB wrote:
    What a lovely, wise, gentle face he had. With a bit of a mischievous glint in his eye too Take care of yourself neoncookies

He was truly a handsome dog. You could see his intelligence in his eyes, he always knew what was going on.

Went to bed as I was feeling so drained but just lay there and couldn't stop crying. The pain that comes from loving a pet..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

His eyes were clearly full of love and trust for you. The kind of eyes that only pets have.
    Take care of yourself, next days will be hard... But you wrote something beautiful: "Today the memories are making me cry but I know in time I'll enjoy them"
    Words of wisdom!

sorry for your loss NeonCookies , such a lovely fellow , time will make it feel better but the great memories will only get stronger and the love will always be there .

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

Had a beautiful setter for 15.5 years. ........ He was doing ok until this week, but it has been obvious we couldn’t leave him go on much longer. We decided with the kids that today was the day he needed to be put down. Lots of tears all day, from all of us. He predated my husband, my kids.... a lot of things really. Such a lovely dog, hadn’t an aggressive bone in his body.
    His name was Charlie and he was beautiful. Sad he is gone. Can’t imagine any dog would ever measure up to the gentleness and beauty of this one.

So sorry for your loss CeNedra. It’s a tough time of year to lose a good friend. :(

• Advertisement

Sorry for your loss Ce'Nedra ,its a hard decision to make but its made with love ,
    Run free Charlie

Advertisement