Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Mojesius, stop thinking 'what if' - you did what you had to do. Would you want Phoebe to be in even a minutes pain if you could do anything about it? NO! Its torture missing a beloved pet. Dont beat yourself up about being so sad - you are grieving for your lost dog. Its like loosing a member of your family. Just because she was a dog, doesn't mean she wasn't a hugely important part of your life. It will get easier. You will always miss her, but it WILL get easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Seven months gone past and I still miss frankie more than ever. I'd give anything to have him back xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

mojesius wrote: »
    Sorry to keep posting but the last few days have been so bloody hard. Trying to keep it together in work but just feel heartbroken and I'm welling up the whole time.

I know we did the right thing. Her little heart was thumping for days and she was exhausted with the coughing and wheezing so badly. But now I'm thinking, what if she had gotten better? What if there was another year there?

My younger dog is lost. We're all lost. Our home is empty and sad without her little happy head barking at you. I'm just so devastated to have lost such a good friend. She was my best friend since I was 14 and now she's gone.

Mojesius, so sorry for your loss.
    I had my own dog put to sleep just short of 2 months ago now, he was only 4 years of age. He developed a heart problem out of the blue, went down hill rapidly and I had him put to sleep as it seemed the most humane thing to do. He was struggling to be alive and I can see now that it was the only choice I could have made.
    Like you, I had days where I thought "what if he got better?, what if the medication just took longer to work?" etc etc
    Those thoughts do go away, you will start to remember Phoebe as she was when she was in full health, the happy days, the days when she bounced around the place with joy and all the good times you shared together.

She will thank you forever from where she is now for having the courage to do the best thing for her xo

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

My beautiful Ratrat is gone six months today. Feels like a minute, feels like a lifetime. I'll always carry her with me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Claudy, a most well behaved and gentle cat - passed away this day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Tonight we lost Rusty, he was our baby. Even though we had the pleasure of knowing him for almost 12 years, tonight has to be one of the most heartbreaking times of my adult life.

Thankfully he was only sick for a few short weeks, and the decision to put him to sleep was taken out of our hands as he passed in his sleep.

Run free my darling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Angeldaisy, I have just seen this now, I am so sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

my cat got killed last night after trying to follow my dads jeep :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

amandaf675 wrote: »
    my cat got killed last night after trying to follow my dads jeep :(

That's terrible! :(
    I'm sorry for your loss in such a tragic way :(
    It happened to me too. Many years ago a cat of mine followed me while I was going to work, a car killed him, but I didn't realize. I came back home at night and didn't find him so we started looking around.
    We found him three days later :(

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

my dad found ours the minute he came home, right outside out gate! :(
    It hurts more i think cause we found him on our farm abandoned by his mother with really bad cat flu and his poor little eyes were after weeping so much they were stuck together :( and we brough him home and got him better

• Advertisement

Every week I am another week further away from having held Henry for the last time and I'm heartbroken :(

He was fast asleep and snoring when I took this pic, back when he was just a pup
    35129_419982261068_506591068_449066.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

My best friend is in the vets. We have 24 hours to wait and see if her condition improves.
    My gut tells me it won't.
    For 7 years she's been there for me. Hazel my cavalier king charles.
    I've cried into her fur when I feel alone.
    She walks by my side wherever I go and we hate to be apart.
    She's been the one thing to remain a constant in my turbulent life.
    Last summer I went to Australia for a month and a half. I had the time of my life but all I could think was '4 weeks untiliI see my dog again'....
    She's not gone yet., but I need to start processing the inevitable.
    I love you boo. Always.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I always dreaded the day i ended up posting in here, but now it's time.

Yesterday morning we lost our pup Ozzy, he was only 3 weeks past his first birthday.

He had been coughing quite bad at night for a month or so, after quite a few trips to the vet we decided it was probably heart related, he was due to go for an ECG and Ultrasound yesterday afternoon.

We had a bad night with him on Wednesday, where he just wasn't right and wouldn't settle, at 8am we noticed his belly was swelling badly so rang the vet, took him in immediately where he had surgery straight away.

He didn't pull through, his heart just gave up.

Our house just seems so empty, Bro is going through every room looking for her pal.

To say my wife and i are devastated and heartbroken would be an understatement, he was our best friend, our tormentor, he was everything

Love ya Oz and we'll meet again x

IMG_7421_zps26eb7f8c.jpg

Scudzilla, I'm so sorry to hear that, how heartbreaking for you.

Run free xxx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That's so sad scudzilla, it's just so unfair to lose an adored pet at any time, but to lose one so young seems particularly cruel.
    It's been a bad few days for quite a few of ye here with the loss of pets :-(
    Hope you're all managing okay.

Very sorry to read that Scudzilla, awful sad to lose a pup :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

So sorry Scudzilla. Thoughts are with you and your wife. He was a beautiful dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

I'm so, so sorry to hear that scudzilla.
    Ozzy and Brody's names are often mentioned in our house because they were Rosie's secret santas last Christmas so we say ' Where's your toy from Ozzy and Brody???' and a speedy run around the garden follows to find the toys you sent!
    Nothing anyone says can ease the pain you feel right now but please know we're all thinking of you and your family at such a sad time. Take care. X

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Far too early for a pup to go. I'm really sorry scudzilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Really sorry to hear this, hope you're all okay xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Poor Ozzy :( I keep thinking of him when I look at Lucy - she'll be 1 in 3 weeks.

Thanks All, it really is appreciated

The last few days really have been horrendous, the gaff just sounds empty, poor Brodi is going nuts, she's running all around the house and garden looking for him, guess that'll stop in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

scudzilla wrote: »

The last few days really have been horrendous, the gaff just sounds empty, poor Brodi is going nuts, she's running all around the house and garden looking for him, guess that'll stop in time.

What really got to me was the quietness in the house. Especially when I was first home from college. You only know, truely, how much they mean to you when they're gone.

Another thing was not having to close the kitchen door behind me when I went to bed :( He would always chance his arm so he could get up to the bedroom and sleep in the big bed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

When one pet dies/is put to sleep, is it a good idea to let other dog(s) see the one who has died?? Our elderly collie had to be put to sleep a few months ago. I often wondered if the terriers would have understood when he had gone (rather than looking for him all the time) if we had let them see he had died? I know dogs dont understand death, but can they understand if they see their friend/companion' body?

aonb wrote: »
    When one pet dies/is put to sleep, is it a good idea to let other dog(s) see the one who has died?? Our elderly collie had to be put to sleep a few months ago. I often wondered if the terriers would have understood when he had gone (rather than looking for him all the time) if we had let them see he had died? I know dogs dont understand death, but can they understand if they see their friend/companion' body?

I'm not really sure, but Tara was in our bedroom last week as well when Rusty died and she doesn't appear to be looking for him. Not sure if that means that she understands or not.

It has been the hardest week, I keep expecting him to be where he usually would be.
    The house is incredibly quiet, and even though we were told to expect the worst, I never imagined for one minute that it would really happen. He was fit and healthy up to 4 weeks before he died.

We buried him in the garden, luckily we live in the country, and my son picked out some flowering plants to make a memorial garden for him.
    Its heartbreaking every time I see it, but i know in time it will be a comfort to me.

I really feel for everyone who has lost a beloved pet. I always knew it would be painful, but I never expected it to be this difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I really feel for you guys. I know the emotional devastation ye are going through as we lost our Sundance the Sun Sun Man Westie to Pancreatitus at 9yo February 2013.

I still well up if not actually shed tears at least once a week triggered by this or that even going on 15 months later.

We still have the pleasure of the other member of the Wild Wild Westies, Sunnys' (Sundances') litter mate Brother Butch and his 7yo Shih Tsu sister Cassidy (What else could we possibly have named her :D )

We finally felt ready to get a new Westie Pal for Butch and Cassidy last week.

His name is Dexter.

No new pet ever replaces our departed friends but when its the right time we can share our lives with new ones.

Picked up Ozzy's ashes today and brought him home.

We were charged 200Euro for an individual cremation, ashes back in a really nice wooden box with engraved small plaque.

My mother in law had her 15yr old poodle PTS yesterday in Dublin, they wanted 265 for the same, we brought her body back to Trim and the cost was 125!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Picked up Ozzy's ashes today and brought him home.

We were charged 200Euro for an individual cremation, ashes back in a really nice wooden box with engraved small plaque.

My mother in law had her 15yr old poodle PTS yesterday in Dublin, they wanted 265 for the same, we brought her body back to Trim and the cost was 125!!

Isn't it ridiculous? My dog was 17.5kg and her collection, delivery, cremation, wooden box with picture frame and plaque and certificate cost €200. I was expecting it to be sooooo much more (which I honestly didn't care about, I just wanted to have her ashes back home where she belongs) as when my mums cat died, I was charged €300! The cat was only 4kg!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Lucyfur wrote: »
    when my mums cat died, I was charged €300! The cat was only 4kg!
    I know this isn't the thread to discuss in detail but that is literally extortionate.At the very max a 4kg animal should no more than €150. Unfortunately vets can add a "markup" which looks like what happened. If you want to PM me I can chat to you more if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

8 days ago Hazel passed away.
    It feels so surreal going into the house- it's bare and empty as if my joy has been snatched. In all our years together she would always wait for me- overexcited to see me even if I had been gone only 10 minutes. That's what made her my most loyal and true friend.
    I've never been able to articulate my problems and emotions and when I was younger I fell prey to depression and dark thoughts. It frustrated everyone around me but never my cavvie. I can say of nobody else in the world that she was Always there for me. And I know that this is nothing new- that's what dogs do! But I will never ever forget the love that she brought to my life.
    Her cancer came so fast and strong- not showing until it was very late. She would not want to move in the last week and yet she still would attempt to follow me around the house! That crazy little darling!
    She was velcro to me but everyone who knew her fell in love.
    My family have said that it was remarkable- the time she came to me as a rescue dog and the time she passed. I got her before entering secondary school and now before I leave for college she has left. In a way it will ease the leave for me- knowing that all that I have left is my humans! I was dreding having to leave her and now I'm crying again! Damn!! :(
    Bye bye baby. <3

Advertisement