Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I put down Other>Atheist on mine, because I viewed no religion as being no beliefes whatsoever, wheras the way I look at it atheism is just not believeing in god. After all, that's what the word means. I don;t believe in god, but I beleive in an afterlife and karma, so I wouldn't feel right putting down no religion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Asiaprod wrote:
    <Swords, you want swords, I live in the land of 'The Sword'>

I have a katana myself (amongst a few other weapons) from when I was training in ju jitsu. Its fun, but I prefer the staff.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm quite proud of my mum, she entered in No Religion for me before I had the chance to remind her :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm quite proud of my mum, she entered in No Religion for me before I had the chance to remind her :)
    There's hope for free-thought yet. :)

And I'm really thinking it's time for a study into the correlation between lack of faith, and sword ownership...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I was going to put down aetheist, but instead put jedi. As the jedi faith is closer to my own ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

syklops wrote:
    As the jedi faith is closer to my own ideas.

No sex and dodgy hair? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Wicknight wrote:
    No sex and dodgy hair? :D

lol, good one

My parents ticked the Roman Catholic box too, I changed it and they didn't mind.

Methinks the results of the religion section in the census will be slightly inaccurate this year...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Methinks the results of the religion section in the census will be slightly inaccurate this year...

They're pretty much bound to be for the under-25's.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> My parents ticked the Roman Catholic box too, I changed it and they
    > didn't mind.

Er, am I understanding it right that your catholic parents "didn't mind" that you told the truth?

> the results of the religion section in the census will be slightly
    > inaccurate this year...

I'm interested to see the results of the "did you do charitable work?" question, so that we'll have some stats to judge whether or not religions contribute to society as much as they continuously say they do. I've a bet on with myself as to the answer to that, but I'll hold off until the results come out...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

And I'm really thinking it's time for a study into the correlation between lack of faith, and sword ownership...

Protection from conversion?:) or more deeper?

• Advertisement

Asiaprod wrote:
    Protection from conversion?:) or more deeper?

Ha! Sword is representing the indomitable will, of course. Also possibly split personalities, in my case.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Could be on to something here... I do own a sword as well.. it's under my bed somewhere...

Fine Toledo steel.

Since I have a sword (and a handfull of other weapons) and believe in many gods, do I screw up your hypothesis? :D

Since I have a sword (and a handfull of other weapons) and believe in many gods, do I screw up your hypothesis? :D

No. It appears, however, from your evidence, that sword ownership is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for atheism! Alternatively, your ownership of diverse weapons might relect your polytheism...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

No, it is just a reminder not to piss you off :p

Scofflaw wrote:
    Alternatively, your ownership of diverse weapons might relect your polytheism...

I actually was planning to get a ritual hammer but unfortunately the person who was going to do it got knocked down, and won't be near her forge for quite a while now.
    Wicknight wrote:
    No, it is just a reminder not to piss you off

Heh. Anyone who knows me will tell you that thats unlikely to be a problem. Any appearance to the contrary, I'm not a violent person (except as a last resort).

Any appearance to the contrary, I'm not a violent person (except as a last resort).

On the other hand, if it is last resort, why be unarmed?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

The Guards tend to frown on you walking down the street carrying a sword :)Besides, I did far more unarmed than armed training, and would remember those techniques better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HealingBlight

went to check the form and my Dad put me in as Roman Catholic Aaargh, I actually thought he knew where I was at. I changed it no religion.

Got into the same situation, my dad tried the reasoning 'You were raised catholic so you are catholic' But I was pritty clear on my position, thankfuly when I checked it was marked 'no religion'. :)
    Atheisim isint a religion, I cant see how it can be, and I don't know how exactly the state would use census results when it came to the religion secion, anyone care to enlighten me?

Advertisement