Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Album Wonders?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

Another one hit wonder are Revelino with their album Broadcaster. Which, in my opinion is the greatest ever album by an Irish Band...EVER!

so they actually released an album ?? wouldnt mind hearing that...
    i was in their music video for their single 'step on high'
    i had to buy my own copy of it though :/ cheap bastids :mad:

ooh how about Relish ?
    they played at my school when i was in transition year
    edit: according to play they have 2 albums, interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill.

Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie was excellent, but not half as good as JLP. And everything afterwards was dire muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Jeff Buckley-Grace, but i supose he has an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you must be joking! The Blue and Green Albums are two of the best indie/punk albums ever made.

well it's all about opinion.

sure blue went triple platnium and green went platnium and make believe just went platinum there.

i'm talking about the quality of the music which in my opinion the only albums from weezer worth a look-in are blue and pinkerton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

My own choice......Pulp - Different Class
    Could name all their hits of that one album

I feel sickined people are calling Pulp a one album wonder the band lasted nearly a quarter of a century in different guises and are one of the best bands of the last 20 years.

Razzmatazz
    Babies
    Do you remember the first time?
    help the aged
    This is hardcore
    Something changed
    This is hardcore
    Bad Cover version

all hits to an extent all not on Different Class
    anyone that thinks Pulp are a one album band should invest in This is Hardcore the far superior follow up to Different Class
    Also The Sex Pistols- Never Mind the Bollócks has to be the ultimate one album wonder.
    yes but John Lydon went on to surpas the sex pistols criticly if not comercialy with Public Image Ltd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

all hits to an extent all not on Different Class

Not forgetting their first real shot across the bows, Lipgloss.
    anyone that thinks Pulp are a one album band should invest in This is Hardcore the far superior follow up to Different Class

Sure, right after Lou Reed's Berlin and just before reaching for the valium and VSOP! Take the easier option - start with His 'n' Hers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

herobear wrote:
    so they actually released an album ?? wouldnt mind hearing that...
    i was in their music video for their single 'step on high'
    i had to buy my own copy of it though :/ cheap bastids :mad:

fantastic album

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

yes but John Lydon went on to surpas the sex pistols criticly if not comercialy with Public Image Ltd.

Definitely agree with you about Pulp and all I'll say about PIL vs Pistols is that Metal Box is one hundred times better than Never Mind the Bollocks. PIL were a revolution, Sex Pistols were just same old rock and roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

there are so many bands that only have 1 album

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Marshy wrote:
    New radicals - Maybe you've been brainwashed too

Tho "You get what you give" is arguably a one-hit wonder.
    Someday We'll Know was a better song though, IMO. Hard to forgive him for giving Life Is A Rollercoaster to Ronan Keating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

What bands managed to record one great album, that stands head and shoulders above their other work, to make them qualify as one album wonders? I'm thinking more in terms of the Bluetones,

The Bluetones? Which album are you referring to as the one hit wonder? They've three excellent albums in my mind, and Luxembourg wasn't too shabby either.

Dodgy would qualify for this, Free Peace Sweet is just so much better than what came before or after. Happy Mondays too, Pills N Thrills being the one that has survived the test of time. Neither Elastica album did much for me but the second one was especially weak.

Oasis? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

Litcagral wrote:
    What about "Forever changes" by Love. Fantastic album released in 1967 but can't recall any follow up.

the follow up was called 'four sail', clever bastards eh. didnt come close to forever changes (not many do) but the two love albums prior to it 'Love' and 'Da Capo' were pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

The Sundays- first album Reading, Writing and Arithmetic, two albums after this but nowhere near as good.

Chumbawumba- Tubthumper

4 Non blondes- I'm sure they had an album with What's Up? on it.

Crash Test Dummies- I'm sure someone here has their back catalogue taped, but MMM,mmm,mmm,mmm was the only song i ever taped from the radio in '93. God Shuffled His Feet

Atlantic 252 favourites of the same time, The Connells, '74/'75 on Ring, although their early albums are supposed to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Crash Test Dummies- I'm sure someone here has their back catalogue taped, but MMM,mmm,mmm,mmm was the only song i ever taped from the radio in '93. God Shuffled His Feet

i have this album, its not entirley terrible, just remotely horrible ;)
    honsetly i can put it on but i don't think i'd recomend it, I wouldn't consider them 1 album wonders though, 1 hit wonders yes. but overall 1 song doesn't make an album

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Garret wrote:
    Electric Soft Parade - Holes In The Wall

are they even still around?

that was an excellent debut, i have their 2nd album, didnt listen to it too much, dont know what they are up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

sweetie wrote:
    Delakota - One Love

True, that was an absolutly brilliant album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

My own choice......Pulp - Different Class
    Could name all their hits of that one album.

What the f**k?!?!? :)
    Pulp...One album wonders !!!!!!! That is THE single most ridiculous thing i have EVER heard !
    Their greatist hits album is 100% pure gold ! And only a handful of its 20 or so tracks are from Different Class.

But then thats just my opinion...although...c'mon man, in all fairness !?! :)

I feel sickined people are calling Pulp a one album wonder the band lasted nearly a quarter of a century in different guises and are one of the best bands of the last 20 years.

Razzmatazz
    Babies
    Do you remember the first time?
    help the aged
    This is hardcore
    Something changed
    This is hardcore
    Bad Cover version

Snap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

brianon wrote:
    What the f**k?!?!? :)
    Pulp...One album wonders !!!!!!! That is THE single most ridiculous thing i have EVER heard !
    Their greatist hits album is 100% pure gold ! And only a handful of its 20 or so tracks are from Different Class.

But then thats just my opinion...although...c'mon man, in all fairness !?! :)

fair enough, maybe it is down to me not being too familiar with the rest of their stuff but you would have to admit that the album different class made them and from there on they went down hill...as in not being able to continue on in a sucsessful manner, which is what i would consider a one album wonder, maybe not in the musical sense but certainly in the commerical sense.

fair enough, maybe it is down to me not being too familiar with the rest of their stuff but you would have to admit that the album different class made them and from there on they went down hill...as in not being able to continue on in a sucsessful manner, which is what i would consider a one album wonder, maybe not in the musical sense but certainly in the commerical sense.

Every album sice different class has been critically acclaimed.
    No, they weren't as commercially successful as Different Class but, persoanally, thats not how I judge what makes a good album.

• Advertisement

BTW...
    This Is Hardcore (the followup to Different Class) made it to Nbr.1 in the UK album chart.

But as I said, commercial success with one album, does not a one hit wonder make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭castagnoli

Cremo wrote:

i'm talking about the quality of the music which in my opinion the only albums from weezer worth a look-in are blue and pinkerton.

Definately true, imo Pinkerton is better too! Maladroit and Make Believe are poor to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

funktastic wrote:
    4 Non blondes- I'm sure they had an album with What's Up? on it.

4 Non Blondes - The album was called Bigger, Better, Faster, More or something to that effect and it was, according to a mate who bought it on the strength of What's Up at the time, complete sh!te. As said elsewhere, one hit song does not a good album make.

Crash Test Dummies - The album before God Shuffled His Feet was called The Ghosts That Haunt Me and was a better album, IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

that was an excellent debut, i have their 2nd album, didnt listen to it too much, dont know what they are up to now.

I *think* they have a new EP out soon!

Electric Soft Parade were one of those bands that had they started off in the mainstream a year or two later would have been far far bigger than they ever became. Shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The Pale: Heres One We Made Earlier.
    Cracking album that looked like it might catapult the band into the big time. Never happened unfortunately, think the band are still around today having reinvented themselves as an electronic act.

The Hitchers: It’s All Fun & Games Till Someone Loses An Eye.
    Loved this album and seen them play many times as they always seemed to play at our college in Galway! Career has been in steady decline since(record company went bust unfortunately) and have split up now as far as I know. Can also still remember the tune to Red Mohaired Jumper from 2TV years ago. Remembered loving it at the time but haven't heard it since so I wonder was it really as good as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Pighead wrote:
    Cracking album that looked like it might catapult the band into the big time. Never happened unfortunately, think the band are still around today having reinvented themselves as an electronic act.

The Hitchers: It’s All Fun & Games Till Someone Loses An Eye.
    Loved this album and seen them play many times as they always seemed to play at our college in Galway! Career has been in steady decline since(record company went bust unfortunately) and have split up now as far as I know. Can also still remember the tune to Red Mohaired Jumper from 2TV years ago. Remembered loving it at the time but haven't heard it since so I wonder was it really as good as I remember.

The Hitchers have an alright second album, "For the want of some better tv" and they play a reunion gig around New Years Eve (29 or 30th usually) in Dolans in Limerick. I go most years, great, great band that were honestly ahead of their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

The Knack - Get the Knack

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The Hitchers have an alright second album, "For the want of some better tv" and they play a reunion gig around New Years Eve (29 or 30th usually) in Dolans in Limerick. I go most years, great, great band that were honestly ahead of their time.

Was actually quite disappointed with that second album, not a patch on their debut. Would love to see them live again though and your dead right when you say they were ahead of their time. Without doubt the bestest ever group from Limerick. (And that includes your lot Dolores)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Pighead wrote:

Forgot all about that album, spent a lot of time listining to it as a little un. Ill always remember 'butterfly' was a great tune. Im gonna have to try and track that down. I seem to remember there second album not being worth a sh1te though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 evilbreadmaker

NEW RADICALS

crash test dummies, i heard them on annalivia, they left their major label and put out their own records. pretty damn good interview. talking about how major label contracts are designed to keep the major labels alive and **** the artists in the ass if their albums dont sell.

Advertisement