Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Album Wonders?

Options
  • 20-04-2006 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

What bands managed to record one great album, that stands head and shoulders above their other work, to make them qualify as one album wonders? I've heard the Beach Boys and the Stone Roses described in such terms, but I'm thinking more in terms of the Bluetones, Moby Grape or even Pete Yorn, anyone else spring to mind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Gomez, tho i hear they're making a come back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

the darkness?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

weezer

although they ain't a one hit wonder i consider them to be a two hit wonder. saying that though their two hits are probably in my top5 records of all time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

travis - the man who

first album hardly know bar u-16 girls, then comes album 2 any they healine every summer festival at this side of the world in 1999/2000. then comes next album which was ok but still no were as good man who. then relegated to supermarket radio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

Moby - Play. His other stuff is so intolerably bad for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights (although Antics managed to scupper my impression of it)
    The Strokes - Is This It (same story)
    Polysics - Neu (all the rest still seems crap to me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

The La's eponymous classic debut album
    (even if they had released another album it probably wouldn't have come close to this one)
    Mansun - Attack of the Grey Lantern (great album)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Electric Soft Parade - Holes In The Wall

are they even still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The Strokes - is this it

• Registered Users Posts: 43,840 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My picks (even the last two or three are disputable but we haven't heard much apart from one album from each of them)..

All-Time Quarterback
    The Postal Service
    Razorlight
    Keane
    Bloc Party

• Advertisement

basquille wrote:
    My picks (even the last two or three are disputable but we haven't heard much apart from one album from each of them)..

All-Time Quarterback
    The Postal Service
    Razorlight
    Keane
    Bloc Party

It doesnt really make sense to list Bands who only have one album released in the last 2 years, give them a chance to release another one and then I suppose you could call them one album wonders?

Yeah.. i suppose i just think of these bands as these ever-increasing circle of bands who have one album take off hugely and spent years touring and whoring (heh.. rhymes! :D) this album off as the next big thing and then release something that will typically disappoint...

.. i'm sure these bands have follow-up albums in development but can't help shake that feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ram Jam

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭zeptar

Rival Schools. United by Fate is a quality album.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Delakota - One Love

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

Gomez, tho i hear they're making a come back

Disagree, they've had a few great albums and are still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Serbian wrote:
    Moby - Play. His other stuff is so intolerably bad for me.
    Very true. Though it is hard to improve on Play anyway I feel. His style of music was perfected in it.
    comet wrote:
    Mansun - Attack of the Grey Lantern (great album)
    What about "six"?? That has some great tracks on it and I use the fast forward button less than usual for this album. A good album has little or no filler on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

The Strokes - is this it
    how true, how true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

What bands managed to record one great album, that stands head and shoulders above their other work, to make them qualify as one album wonders? I've heard the Beach Boys and the Stone Roses described in such terms, but I'm thinking more in terms of the Bluetones, Moby Grape or even Pete Yorn, anyone else spring to mind?

What about "Forever changes" by Love. Fantastic album released in 1967 but can't recall any follow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Litcagral wrote:
    What about "Forever changes" by Love. Fantastic album released in 1967 but can't recall any follow up.

They released 3 other albums, 2 before and one after (and after that there was numerous band reshuffles), Forever Changes is a great album but their other stuff is pretty good too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 chomsky

Love are not a one album wonder. Forever changes is class and beautiful also.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

The Strokes - is this it

First Impressions is a brilliant album and upon reflection I think Room On Fire suffered the Second Coming Syndrome tbh

Definitely not one album wonders

I kind of thought Is This It was a quality album and then Room On Fire was terrible. Definitely candidates for one album wonder imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Just can't get into Room on Fire at all, really disappointed with it.

Was the opposite - could get into 'Room On Fire' much easier than 'This Is It'

I enjoy both albums but 'Room On Fire' is much easier to listen to. In saying that, i reckon 'First Impressions..' is a bit pants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Cremo wrote:
    weezer

although they ain't a one hit wonder i consider them to be a two hit wonder. saying that though their two hits are probably in my top5 records of all time.

The Green Album is a good simple/fun summertime album aswell but you're right in saying that it's the first two albums that are the classics (as well as the b-sides/unreleased songs from that era).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Jamey wrote:
    the darkness?

You're wrong there mate, both of their albums are sh*t.

People thought they were great but they were/are just a fad. They know it, we know it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

New radicals - Maybe you've been brainwashed too

Tho "You get what you give" is arguably a one-hit wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

you must be joking! The Blue and Green Albums are two of the best indie/punk albums ever made.
    Cremo wrote:
    weezer

My own choice......Pulp - Different Class
    Could name all their hits of that one album.

Another one hit wonder are Revelino with their album Broadcaster. Which, in my opinion is the greatest ever album by an Irish Band...EVER!
    /me waits for the "ohh, but what about U2's {insert ablum title}" replies......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Definitely agree about Pulp. That was a great album imo.

For me The Streets- Original Pirate Material was excellent. The 2nd album was a bit of a let down for me and the new single from 3rd album sounds like something a few 4th class students put together.

Also The Sex Pistols- Never Mind the Bollócks has to be the ultimate one album wonder.

Alanis Morisette- Jagged Little Pill

Advertisement