Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

were in meath are the rest of yous from

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭mel(",)

Shortie wrote:
    Ashbourne .. living in duleek for my sins:D

duleek 2! its a kip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Cork........(exiled)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Rathmolyon.

Even though you're from Meath I doubt many of you will have heard of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Rathmolyon.

I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Rathmolyon.

That pub Harnans has always been a mystery to me. Its the dirtiest kip you will ever stand in yet its always busy :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

That pub Harnans has always been a mystery to me. Its the dirtiest kip you will ever stand in yet its always busy

Do they still have the Burger/Take-away machine in there? Big attraction in the area. They eat their young out there.

It reminds me of The Steps in Trim, that place looks like it should be condemned. The Pub Spy gave it an terrible bashing a few years ago.

Let not forget Fagans in Moynalvy.... *shudder*
    Ahh yes a tourist classic: Could you tell me the way to Rat-moy-lan or Boll-iver?

They still have the burger machine alright. The size of it- and all thats in it is a freezer and a microwave. One of the locals was telling me the owner spent thousands on it and it broke down very soon after buying it and he never bothered fixing it.
    I remember the steps getting a bashing alright. I dont think its that bad.

I just laugh at the very thought of that machine. I remember bus loads from Trim went out to sneer when it first arrived. It was like the ending of the dark ages.

The Steps used to be ok but it soon filled up with gob****es talking about diggers and engines. Its been over a year since I was last in there. A lot of the old patrons have moved to Lynch's or so I am told.

The pub scene in Trim is poor at them moment. A lot of the pubs have become somewhat clannish. There was a time you could hit any pub and be sure of a great day session (The new wave of SAS drinking is depressing). A lot of that died though when the old abbey lodge closed. If you can find any of that gang your in a good spot. Thats if most of them are not dead from alcohol poisoning or in the clink or married or both :eek:

Tangents all over the place but I'm in the mood for a bank holiday weekend pub crawl! :D

A lot of that died though when the old abbey lodge closed. If you can find any of that gang your in a good spot.

The Abbey wasnt a bad spot alright. Bit dark and grubby but there was good craic in it. Decent juke box too. I think it did better business then than it is doing now after spending a couple of million doing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

The old Abbey Lodge! One big happy family on a drink fuelled meander through the dark ages of the eighties and into the nineties. If you want to know where the celtic tiger was born, this was the spot. :)

• Advertisement

The old Abbey Lodge! One big happy family on a drink fuelled meander through the dark ages of the eighties and into the nineties. If you want to know where the celtic tiger was born, this was the spot.

It died a terrible death in the end. The last year just dragged it out a bit too much. Legends were made in that place. Many times I expected to see a horde of mammies outside chanting "Give us back our son's". The like of it will never been seen again and the Vanity Fair that has replaced it is a joke. According to the papers its in trouble for planning irregularities and may have to go again.
    The Abbey wasnt a bad spot alright. Bit dark and grubby but there was good craic in it. Decent juke box too. I think it did better business then than it is doing now after spending a couple of million doing it up.

The darkness! People couldnt see in from the street and no one could be arsed looking out. The lads used to make compilations up and throw them in to jukebox, it was a drinker’s pub. It probably did better business then. It was successful back then because it didnt try and be anything, it was a pub pure and simple. The clientele were sound and a good time was always guaranteed. Going back to when Reilly had it was even better. You'd have to be in it before 8 or you wouldnt get a seat. All the hype of places like the Emmet never took from it, the 'to be seen' crowd moved around but the abbey crowd were stubborn as hell. The weekend started on Wednesday and ended on Tuesday. Monday beers were a highlight. The stories...

Freemasons the lot of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

We'll never see the like of it again. R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Mornington, the most exciting part of meath

(may not be true)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Thrim, funny how this thread has become an online debate on the town's "social scene". Should improve greatly in the near future, no doubt the new hotels will have nightclubs and whatnot, the new Abbey is a great spot I think.

funny how this thread has become an online debate on the town's "social scene".

Mostly the past social scene by my reading. Trim's social scene is a lot different today. And the funny bit?! Trim has always consisted of dens when it comes to alcohol, calling it a 'social scene' is pushing it!

The only thing I see differently now is that everyone seems to be totally plastered. I was in Athboy over the weekend and people were just falling all over the place, it was sad to see people in such a state. They dont seem to be able to handle drink at all, a few drinks and they're wild. I dont think its binge drinking, its just childish behaviour coupled with a few drinks. Their adolescent mentality regarding drink and drinking is clearly evident with drinks such as fat frogs. Alcopops have created a whole new generation of gob****es. It isnt that there wasnt gob****es before, they just had some control and cop-on. Maybe its all they money we have now.
    Should improve greatly in the near future, no doubt the new hotels will have nightclubs and whatnot, the new Abbey is a great spot I think.

Neither of the two new hotels will have a nightclub. The one beside the castle wont have one as per a planning condition and the one on the Dublin road wont because it would affect its star rating or something along those lines. I am open to correction if you know otherwise. The Castle Arch or 'Boot' will be the only 'dance hall' in Trim. For the foreseeable future Trim will empty at around midnight with people going to Navan, Athboy and so on.

The Abbey always seems to have a crowd on the weekends but nothing during the week. It's not for me. It has no atmosphere and hence no regulars. Kids on mobile phones loitering in a pub! It’s a Saturday night only job, but hey its early days I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GavinPJQuinn

Rathmolyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

That area thats samwidged between Cavan and Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭EyeDeeOne

ashbourne :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No more near Oldcastle heads here? I am suprised. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Let not forget Fagans in Moynalvy.... *shudder*

Scut fagans what the hell is wrong with there ? its a great spot and plenty of characters drink there !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Ruu wrote:
    No more near Oldcastle heads here? I am suprised. :)

Its a sight isnt it, bates all, Im sure there is they re all ashamed ;)

Scut fagans what the hell is wrong with there ? its a great spot and plenty of characters drink there !!

Agreed

Its a sight isnt it, bates all, Im sure there is they re all ashamed ;)

Ah you must know the infamous tunnel "night-club" then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Ardee \o/

embee wrote:
    Ardee \o/

Ardee is in Meath? Ah sure whats a few miles between friends. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Ruu wrote:
    Ardee is in Meath? Ah sure whats a few miles between friends. :)

Living in Dundalk I am often asked, where are you from? I say Drumconrath and I get either of two responces. First is "Oh, Dublin". Second is":confused: ". So I say it is the other side of Ardee. Therefore I am from Ardee. I just leave it at that. Too much explaining.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Kilmessan ! No I'm not messing ....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mel(",) wrote:
    duleek 2! its a kip
    It's not that bad! Little Naples does the best pizza I've ever tasted, the dry-cleaner is half the price of anywhere in Dublin, The Spire is one of the most respected restaurants around.

Plus Duleek now has traffic lights!

Having said that, all four pubs are dire. I certainly wouldn't like to be young (<21) living here though.

I certainly can't see that new Wine-Bar/Bistro lasting another six-months.

When I first moved here, there were 5 hairdressers on the main street. It was a bit like entering Royston-Vasey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Lismullen.

Yes, there is a Lismullen. I swear. No, there is.

Advertisement