Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I want a f****** newspaper I will take one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

these guys should be given badgerhair toilet paper.
    And we all know recycled paper is .000000001% recycled paper the rest is "recycled" from trees

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

The other day I had two papers in my hand. And they were still trying to give me hearld am.... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

The other day I had two papers in my hand. And they were still trying to give me hearld am.... :confused:

Maybe they thought you were a collector :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

Pighead wrote:
    Down your pants, theres plenty of room down there.

The Monster if thats all you have to be ranting about then you're doing well. Personally Pighead welcomes the aggressive nature of the paper sellers. It gives him a chance to engage in social interaction where as normally everybody ignores me.

so the great PigHead stops talking in the 3rd person for a split second.

Shirley this is a great occasion... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Typical Irish, moan moan moan moan
    Jesus chirst is that the worst thing that happens to you in the morning ?, Someone handing you a free newspaper ? Either take it or dont, It aint that hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

RasTa wrote:
    Typical Irish, moan moan moan moan
    Jesus chirst is that the worst thing that happens to you in the morning ?, Someone handing you a free newspaper ? Either take it or dont, It aint that hard.

Absolutley

Think yourselves lucky, some of us out here in the suburbs have to pay for a paper to get our daily dose of sukudo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just out of interest can someone tell me why these guys dont just dump the things in a recycling bin and go home:confused:
    is there some kind of random inspection by the employers to make sure they do the deed? i mean with no receipts and no cash how do they know how many are actually getting into peoples hands? the herald am one has a circulation figure but by my reckoning and the dumping noticed by previous posters this seems to be dodgy in the extreme. in fact the word "guess" comes to mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

just out of interest can someone tell me why these guys dont just dump the things in a recycling bin and go home:confused:
    is there some kind of random inspection by the employers to make sure they do the deed?
    random inspection in the formof a supervisor. and also even if your finished you dont get to sign the sheet until the team is ready. and if you dont sign you dont get paid. and also sometimes the depot workers are b*stards and send us out more bags late in the shift on the little motorbikes. all in all its a fairly smooth operation. unless it rains. or someone is sick, or its cold, or the delivery drivers mess up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I've gotten the Metro every morning I can when getting on the train in the morning since I moved to Birmingham. It's nice to have something to read on the train and you can get the jist of what's going on in the world, what there is on tv that night and you get puzzles to do so you aren't bored to death every morning when commuting. You people just enjoy complaining.

Ours are in little stands at all the stations but they're all taken by about 9am usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

LadyLotts wrote:
    You people just enjoy complaining.

Damn Right! Best thing about the (Dublin) Metro is that it is costing the Herald many €€€s to try and compete: Death to the Herald :D

I really wouldnt rely on either for news, probably a better news content in The Sun :rolleyes:

Now if they could only bring out a freebie on Sundays that would cost the Sunday Indo, ah I guess thats too much to wish for...:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i moaned about this in the "get it off your chest" thread a good while ago now. absolutely pisses me off walking from the top of o'connell st. down to kevin st. to college to have to avoid about 20 muppets holding out their crappy toilet paper in my face. top that off with the chuggers in the evening. not a good way to start OR end the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

7.00am: BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

7.04am: I get up

7.15am: In the shower

7.45am: I'm leaving my home

7.47am: I arrive at Sandymount dart station...at this point, I am forced to either acknowledge a big oaf's presence and respectfully decline a METRO paper or conciously blank her as rudly as possible and barge past her as she blocks the enterance...it's too early for these types of decisions.

7.55am: I board the dart...I'm slowly beging to awaken.

8.05am: I depart the dart at Pearse street dart station....as I attempt to walk out, not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5 but 6 paper pushers surround all exits..blue and red flashing in my face, I feel light headed and blindly barge my way through...

8.06am: I make it several steps clear of dart station...now am faced with a new foe of "promotion"...usually for some job website or some crap...leaflets shoved in my face....

8.12am: I arrive at the end of Nassau street....am confronted with a beautiful blonde girl shoving HEARLD AM in my face...I don't mind her doing it...I still don't take one, but the odd time I'd throw her a sympathy smile.

8.18am: I reach the intersection opposite entrance to Trinity on Nassau street...Usually confronted by 2, but sometimes 4 of the pests here, annoyingly, they stand in the spot you are going to step onto the path at, probably so you'll look up...I refuse to acknowledge his existance.

8.25am: I have now gone 7 minutes without being offerd a paper! My morning is already looking up, and I've made it all the way up Grafton street without being hasseled!! ....but no, just before I make it to the "Bus Stop" shop, I have two more of these gimps harrasing me.

8.27am: The Gauntlat. If this was a game, this would be the bonus round. On the home straight to the Luas station I am approached, from all angles, by multi-coloured annoyance...mainly red and blue, there must be eight of them...all eyeing me up and down along the long stretch to walk to the tram..they all make a move, but throw in another 5 or 6 "promotion" people wanting in on the action, offering me everything from lolipops, cookies, roses, air fresheners, tan & make up samples and even (I sh*t you not) a tampon.

8.32am: I board the luas...swiping the many papers off my seat, I take 2...one of each, and gradually sift through the sports sections whilst looking out the window at each and every stop to see the blue and red pestering the rest of the world.

8.57am: I arrive in Sandyford, disgard my 2 papers on the floor and get off the luas...now I'm going to be honest, if I havn't got a paper by now, I really musn't fuc*in want one!! But low and behold, YES! Even at Sandyford fuc*ing luas station they sometimes have people there.

9.03am: I walk into work, put the kettle on and browse through the "Hearld AM" convieniantly let beside the kettle.

9.07am: I sit at my desk, turning on my computer, I disgard the 2 papers I left on my desk yesterday after lunch.

1.34pm: After eating my lunch, I like to relax in the canteen with my friends with a cup of coffee...I read the "Metro" left on the table behind me as we chat...I ignore the "Hearld AM" left there...I already read that one...

That, lady's and gentlemen, is the amount of interaction I have with these "people" trying to off-load their "papers" ...... Too much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    €250 a week IIRC was being offered to college students. For about 1, maybe 2, hours work 5 days a week. Not bad money really.

yeah if thats what they get it is good money, the thing I can't get my head around is if they have to stay till there stack of papers is gone then why not hand out five and leave the rest for the binmen to read? or do they have to stay there for a certain amount of time as opppsed to a certain amount of papers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

DubGuy wrote:

7.04am: I get up

7.15am: In the shower

7.45am: I'm leaving my home

7.47am: I arrive at Sandymount dart station...at this point, I am forced to either acknowledge a big oaf's presence and respectfully decline a METRO paper or conciously blank her as rudly as possible and barge past her as she blocks the enterance...it's too early for these types of decisions.

8.05am: I depart the dart at Pearse street dart station....as I attempt to walk out, not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5 but 6 paper pushers surround all exits..blue and red flashing in my face, I feel light headed and blindly barge my way through...

8.06am: I make it several steps clear of dart station...now am faced with a new foe of "promotion"...usually for some job website or some crap...leaflets shoved in my face....

8.12am: I arrive at the end of Nassau street....am confronted with a beautiful blonde girl shoving HEARLD AM in my face...I don't mind her doing it...I still don't take one, but the odd time I'd throw her a sympathy smile.

8.18am: I reach the intersection opposite entrance to Trinity on Nassau street...Usually confronted by 2, but sometimes 4 of the pests here, annoyingly, they stand in the spot you are going to step onto the path at, probably so you'll look up...I refuse to acknowledge his existance.

8.25am: I have now gone 7 minutes without being offerd a paper! My morning is already looking up, and I've made it all the way up Grafton street without being hasseled!! ....but no, just before I make it to the "Bus Stop" shop, I have two more of these gimps harrasing me.

8.27am: The Gauntlat. If this was a game, this would be the bonus round. On the home straight to the Luas station I am approached, from all angles, by multi-coloured annoyance...mainly red and blue, there must be eight of them...all eyeing me up and down along the long stretch to walk to the tram..they all make a move, but throw in another 5 or 6 "promotion" people wanting in on the action, offering me everything from lolipops, cookies, roses, air fresheners, tan & make up samples and even (I sh*t you not) a tampon.

8.32am: I board the luas...swiping the many papers off my seat, I take 2...one of each, and gradually sift through the sports sections whilst looking out the window at each and every stop to see the blue and red pestering the rest of the world.

8.57am: I arrive in Sandyford, disgard my 2 papers on the floor and get off the luas...now I'm going to be honest, if I havn't got a paper by now, I really musn't fuc*in want one!! But low and behold, YES! Even at Sandyford fuc*ing luas station they sometimes have people there.

9.03am: I walk into work, put the kettle on and browse through the "Hearld AM" convieniantly let beside the kettle.

9.07am: I sit at my desk, turning on my computer, I disgard the 2 papers I left on my desk yesterday after lunch.

1.34pm: After eating my lunch, I like to relax in the canteen with my friends with a cup of coffee...I read the "Metro" left on the table behind me as we chat...I ignore the "Hearld AM" left there...I already read that one...

That, lady's and gentlemen, is the amount of interaction I have with these "people" trying to off-load their "papers" ...... Too much?

you've to wake up a 7:00am?

stinger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

Right so most people are anoyed that they are handing out the papers. Why dont you hand yesterdays one back? If you pass a certain one everyday then hand him/her a paper or hand the one you just got back doing a really anoying accent etc. Vent some frustration that way*

*I say this content in the knowledge that no one will actually do it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

DubGuy wrote:

Curious...
    You dont want the papers yet you read them anyway....:rolleyes: if you didnt want them, you wouldnt read them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

reports in the paper today that some of them werent get paid, e900 in arrears, who is employing them(directly)?

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/228-2125218.smil

****ing agency subscontractors!

what the name of the agency?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

Did they report that in the Metro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Why cant i get a bloody Metro in the mornings,i get on sometimes @ Museum LUAS stop and there's no metro or herald people to be seen,only when you get to Heuston might you see somebody giving them out but im hardly gonna get off the tram just to get a free paper,so i do without unless someone leaves theirs behind which is only occasionaly so sort it out sellers the least you can do is leave 40/50 papers @ LUAS stations that are not deemed to be really busy stations:p

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tosh_thedude

TheMonster wrote:
    [Rant]
    This has really gotten to me the last few weeks. Those bloody Metro and Herald AM sellers are becoming more and more agressive. They literally shove the paper in your face as you pass.(Theres one girl at Tara St that you actually have to walk around as she always steps in front of you) If I want one of them I know they are there and will put my hand out and take one. FFS At this stage I know what they are.
    [/Rant]

I Seen a Guy on Dame Street Grab all the papers off the Girl and he Fired them onto a pile of bins bags. He loooked quiet angry.....Twas quite funny, Maybe it was the same girl?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I know what you mean, from the minute I step off the bus on Dame St. in the morning and walk all the way to the Luas in Stephens Green I get about 12 papers shoved in my face, fùcking annoying!

Nearly as bad as them bloody chuggers, the last thing I was is to be hassled first thing in the morning by somebody giving out a paper.

Even if the papers were halfway decent I would appreciate it, as it is they are filled with ads and columns worthy of the weekly world news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's a bloody free newspaper, stop whining... Just don't take one if you don't want it. I like them, cos they're free, and they keep me occupied on the bus. Hazaa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

they are not _free_

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

they are not _free_
    They fcuking are. Stop being a ninny and open your eyes. And don't be dazzling me with all the indirect payments we're making.
    Man gives Pighead object + Pighead doesnt pay for it = FREE
    lostexpectation post + Pighead reading said post=:mad:
    :mad: /:( =:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

they are not _free_
    They fcuking are. Stop being a ninny and open your eyes. And don't be dazzling me with all the indirect payments we're making.
    Man gives Pighead object + Pighead doesnt pay for it = FREE
    lostexpectation post + Pighead reading said post=:mad:
    :mad: /:( =:confused:
    QED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Lindaloo

DaveMcG wrote:
    It's a bloody free newspaper, stop whining... Just don't take one if you don't want it. I like them, cos they're free, and they keep me occupied on the bus. Hazaa!

I'm the same Dave, I just say 'no thanks' or 'i already have one' (and every time I pat my bag for confirmation just in case they don't believe me, sap like me!) and keep walking. Fair enough, there are loads of them about but you just say no thanks or if you have to you just ignore them.

I've noticed a lot of people too take them and don't even say thanks, that annoys me more than the paper pushers!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

I don't have a problem with being offered a free newspaper. Even take them sometimes if the guy/girl handing them out is nice about it (don't read them [would find better journalism in a Peter and Jane reader from Junior Infants] but makes their job a bit quicker).... or if it's a particularly cold/wet morning..

It's when you say "no thanks", they "offer" it again, you say no again, they run around to the front of you and "offer" it again, you try to walk off, and they either give you the stare of death for not taking their paper or hurl the paper at you that it starts to bug me. I didn't take it one day and the woman gave me a kinda look that said "YOU BASTARD! MY FAMILY WILL STARVE BECAUSE OF YOU! HOW DARE YOU NOT TAKE MY FREE METRO!!!".... it wasn't even a cold/wet morning ffs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

7.47am: I arrive at Sandymount dart station...
    8.05am: I depart the dart at Pearse street dart station....
    8.32am: I board the luas...
    8.57am: I arrive in Sandyford,

OMG
    What the hell are you going into town at that hour of the morning for.
    You obviously live in Sandymount - is it not easier to get the Dart to Blackrock, and get the feeder bus to Sandyford ?????

HELLO????
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

The Yipper wrote:
    7.47am: I arrive at Sandymount dart station...
    8.05am: I depart the dart at Pearse street dart station....
    8.32am: I board the luas...
    8.57am: I arrive in Sandyford,

OMG
    What the hell are you going into town at that hour of the morning for.
    You obviously live in Sandymount - is it not easier to get the Dart to Blackrock, and get the feeder bus to Sandyford ?????

HELLO????
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And this has what to do with the rags that are The Herald AM and Metro??

Hello????

If the guy wants to spend a half hour more than is necessary travelling every morning, then that is his business :rolleyes:

I personally get to work by jumping on the M50 at the Ballymun onramp, circling around to Dundrum, parking the car, jumping on the LUAS and hitting Harcourt St 3 hours later :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

its a free paper - stop giving out. I have to buy a paper if I want one!

Advertisement