Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US: 2X15 - "Maternity Leave" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

Options
  • 01-03-2006 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "MATERNITY LEAVE" -

Episode Title: "Maternity Leave"
    Airdate: March 1st 2006

Synopsis (from TV.Com):

A mysterious illness that baby Aaron suddenly contracts sends a desperate Claire, Kate and French woman Danielle to return to the same area where Claire was initially kidnapped. It is there where she believes she can find a cure for Aaron's illness. In the meantime, Jack and Locke are doing their best to keep their prisoner a secret from the rest of the survivors on the island.

Next New Episode: 2X16 - "The Whole Truth" - March 22nd 2006

What did you think of "Maternity Leave"? 151 votes

0%
    20%
    AnimaMr EdigimanscojonesTöpherChongKevokSilent Assasinmada999Kur4mAfeylyahardCopyBasqDelta_ieSnake PliskenSherifufightin irishDingChavezCiaran500stevejazzx 31 votes
    37%
    smilesSte.phenpopinfreshDSElNinoBeruthielPauljRobertFosterjor elmagickAltheus[Deleted User]HyzepherFighting IrishCactus ColweemcdSauronCatsmokinpotSmurfpissmatrim 56 votes
    29%
    satchmomewsoD-GenerateIvanAsokWookiekaimera[Deleted User]banbutchergarthvsunbeamsnickerpussFaithPullMyFinger!PeaceT-b0n3angelofdeathpucanmadrabEvil_Bilbo 45 votes
    9%
    Thanx 4 The Fishbalkieb2002WintersfjonLagunaubuJimboo_Jonesninebeanrowsp~bo FiacyoucancallmealSandalsJPAcowardmuletide 15 votes
    1%
    el rabitosVegetaNewOxfordReview 3 votes
    0%
    0%
    0%
    Ishmael 1 vote
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Note the next episode date of March 22nd so no more 'Lost' for another 3 weeks... betcha this'll please all these newcomers to these US breaks! :D

So.. just to clarify so we don't get people starting up threads next week to ask:

After 'Maternity Leave'.. NO more episodes til MARCH 22ND!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

ahhh three weeks, ahhh ***************

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Thats 1 episode in 5 weeks. WTF!

I myself can't wait for episode 17...
    Locke
    -centric episode and directed by Darren Aronofsky... SWEET!
    Willem D wrote:
    Thats 1 episode in 5 weeks. WTF!
    Yeah.. i know the whole 1 episode in 5 weeks is brutal!

But i can remember the wait between 'Numbers' and 'Deus Ex Machina' for us last year being torturous... let me just lookup how long was between those two.... actually, looking that up makes me realise how horrible the gaps were around this time last year... we'd 2 breaks of 4 weeks! :eek:
    TV.Com wrote:
    18. Numbers
    First aired: 3/2/2005

-- 4 WEEKS --

19. Deus Ex Machina
    First aired: 3/30/2005

20. Do No Harm
    First aired: 4/6/2005

-- 4 WEEKS --

21. The Greater Good (a.k.a. Sides)
    First aired: 5/4/2005

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Perhaps if they ran the series back to back they might not be loosing viewers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

They won't, that's the way it's done in the US, almost every other show over there is doing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭digiman

Absouletly brilliant, amazing, excellent, just feckin class. I think this was the best Lost episode ever, 10/10 for me. :D:D
    Clare's flashback was just brilliant, becasue it all happened on the island. Some brilliant stuff in it altogether. Some of it was really creepy as well, I had shivers go down my back a few times. Some things that seem important:
    The planes that were in the babys cot, they were Oceanic airlines?
    Locke losing it at the end after what Henry Gale said to him
    I wonder what Mr Eko was on about when he was talking to Henry Gale, the way he apologised for killing the others really makes me think that henry is an other.
    We seen Alex for the first time
    Who was Ethan talking to at the door, he looked familiar but I dont know why.

So much more to talk about but I think I will leave it up to the rest of you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Well i think its obvious from that episode that the "Zeke" crowd are Ethan's crowd - Ethan was talking to a clean shaven "Zeke" and Kate found what looked to be their outfits etc complete with false beard. The episode also proves that DARMA (maybe former) employees are still on the island.

Why they left the complex is still a mystery unless they thought Claire would lead the survivors back to them. Alex is obviously the girl who helped Claire escape. Also, the complex looks big enough to house the survivors so I wonder will they go there. That's of course if they share this knowledge with the rest ;)

The vaccine that Ethan was giving Claire looks like the stuff that Desmond was taking - so there's an obvious link there.

Now back into hibernation for another 3 weeks.....

Hyzepher

Avoiding reading digiman's comments there but heard it was an absolute blinder of an episode... would be watching it now if i wasn't immersed in project work.

Will be back here sometime this afternoon with my predictions and reactions!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

twas beardy zeke or watever his name is that ethan was tlkin to. kate found a box with a fake beard and theatrical glue or something similar, cant remember exactly. obviously beardy zeke aint so beardy after all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

very good episode. the outfits and theatrical glue shows that the others are actually living a higher standard of life than portrayed previously and i would say are a control in the experiment that is the island - and are still in the employment of the Dharam Corp.

Henry i think is obviously an other even forgetting the eko confession i think he is there to cause dissent in the camp and a split in the group as seen by his comments to Locke.

i really liked Claire's flashback - the fact the others are gone i think showed they had set the situation up for claire to see but why leave the outfits there unless something has happened.

can't wait 3 week for the next one... ba$tard$

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Also remembered that Zeke was the one to take Walt, so we can assume whatever they had in store for Claire's baby is in store for Walt.

Also, maybe someone with a better memory than me can answer - did Charlie actually say that it was Ethan that hung him on the tree or did he just assume it

Hyzepher

Wow, fantastic episode, so much explained yet so much still to answer. Most interesting thing for me was the Zeke thing, I think it disproves the theory that there are 2 sets of others on the island anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

Can anyone tell me wat they actually show during these 2/3 week breaks. how can they get away with this. It's the same with Invasion.

usually repeats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Zeke and Ethan's conversation also explained why they never took more of the survivors like they did on the Tailies end of the Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Absolutely brilliant episode. So much to take in, I will have to watch it again.

I really enjoyed the interaction between Claire, Kate and Rousseau. I hope we see more of Rousseau from now on. Emilie de Ravin was fantastic this week. And nice to see Libby get to do something useful.

Zeke without the beard. Bizarre. So why would he wear it other times? And was he refering to Alvar Hanso?

Why was the hatch abandoned? Maybe when Locke's timer got to zero it forced them to leave?

Alex? I thought she had blonde hair the last time, but again that could be a wig. This girl looked kinda French.

The operating team. Again this disproves the notion that Zeke was almost on his own; there seemed to be a fair crowd in that station.

Henry Gale, definitely a baddie!

All in all, super episode. In typical Lost fashion, very little direct information given, but a lot of earlier theories disproved. Now just tell us why!

PS - Is nobody concerned as to where Michael is? We haven't seen him in weeks, and no one even comments about him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Damn that was good.
    I got most of whats been seen already.
    Desmond was taking the drug presumably to stop getting infected.
    So they were trying to do the same with the baby.....
    Henry Gale has superhuman hearing possibly tieing in with the others
    supposed super strengths.
    The fact that the others dress up is interesting.
    At last some decent information about the others :)
    Very good episode. 10/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Splendid

hardCopy wrote:
    Zeke and Ethan's conversation also explained why they never took more of the survivors like they did on the Tailies end of the Island.

and Possibly why they took Claire, Zeke gave out to him for taking her before making a list (and checking it twice?). Possibly making the mistake of going for the unborn child over Walt.

Alex was also in Malcolm in the middle, can't think of who she played, but she was one the crell boys.

Good episode. Best of the recent batch by a long shot.

Excellent stuff!

Loved Henry Gale's comment to cause a ruption in the camp between Locke and Jack - and Locke's final scene flipping out. Locke has always had issues with being in control so this will really get under his skin.

The whole scene with Eko and Henry was a bit strange - did Eko confess to Henry about killing the 2 Other's in the jungle because he assumed Henry was an other (hence apologise for killing his own) or did he confess because he knew Henry was the only one he could tell who wouldn't judge him, like the other people in the camp.. truly interesting stuff!

The Claire flashback's were excellent mainly because it was stuff we could relate to - stuff we've been wondering about for a solid season now. And now this stuff we couldn't really give a crap about before life on the island. But wouldn't expect flashbacks of this caliber too often!

I think Damon / Carlton have obviously been listening / paying attention to fans getting pissed off with little or no information / plot development week after week. But pulled out an corker of an episode this week - and also Jack Bender's direction as usual being excellent!

I recognised the girl who played Alex from where - and then realised she played Cynthia in 'Malcolm In The Middle' after consulting IMDB.

That's all to say really: solid 10 / 10!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Wow, a new hatch AND they open it AND they walk in AND walk back out ALL in one episode!!! That's just too much, I couldn't believe it. Plus, so much stuff being cleared up. I think I'd stopped caring what happened to Claire, it was so long ago.

It was a decent ep alright but the Eko moment was just weird and Loch fell for that tactic waaay too easily.

I think I only joined in the US goodness towards the end of season 1 so only had to wait for the last episode or two (but watched 1-20 in the space of a few days so imagine my agony waiting weeks for a single episode). These frequent multi-week waits are ridiculous, but if it makes each episode better as a consequence then we can't complain much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Well everyone else has pretty much said why the episode was great. Full of information, twists and turns. Fantastic tv. 10/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just checked back to ep 2x03 and when Desmond left he didn't take all the '4 8 15 16 23 42' juice with him, just a fist full. I guess nobody has put it together that it's the same stuff.

Nobody on the island mentioning Michael or Walt is a bit strange too, I wonder where they are?

Great to finally clear up some things from S1 though with Claire, where she was and how Rousseau fit into it. This is the best episode in this half of the season anyway, if not the whole season so far. Was the logo on the Dharma signs different in this section? I think it was the serpants wrapped around a staff like a medical symbol. Was this the Dharma projects sick bay I wonder? edit: It's the caduceus symbol.

Worth watching again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Loved this episode 10/10.
    Full of suspense the whole waty through.The ending with Henry was something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Interesting note:
    Desmonds dosage of The Numbers juice had "Rx-1" on the label, while Ethans Numbers juice has "Rx-1 GND" on the label... and the Dharma Initiative brand Theatrical Glue also has "Rx-1 GND" on its label...
    Also, if Dessie didn't take all his juice from the hatch, Claire (even though she may not even need it now) could get some from there.

Speaking of Desmond, where the bloody hell did he go anyways? And where's Mike?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Definitely not an "action" episode, but full of suspense and intregue. I find myself wondering why every hatch seems to continually be abandoned? At first I assumed it was because of "the incident", but this episode tells us that the Caduceus Station was in use up until a couple of months ago. Where have the Dharma employees gone?

The whole "2 groups of others at war" theory has completely gone out the window, and Ethan's desperation to get Claire back is now much better explained. Its clear that someone is putting enormous pressure on him to follow a process. Having already violated it, I'm willing to bet that Ethan was persona-non-grata in the Others camp after Claire escaped. I'm now willing to bet that Henry Gayle is equally as desperate to get his hands on Claire's baby, and the lingering scene with Claire declaring her love for Aaron can surely only mean that he is set to be kidnapped again in the near future. :)

Of course, many more questions were raised. Why Zeke's disguise? Obviously its meant to make him look like a swarthy pirate, but we've seen evidence of their tribe (for want of a better word) wearing similar clothes on a day-to-day basis when Eko and Jin observe them walking past. They obviously have access to a wardrobe of modern clothes, so why wear rags? Kate also found the hat that Zeke wore on the boat, implying that Zeke had been back to the Caduceus Station after abducting Walt. Did Walt's arrival in some way influence their abandoning of the station?

What the hell does the disease do? Danielle killed her entire team because of it, stating "I had to do it. What if we had been rescued? I couldn't let that happen" (Solitary, 1x08). Its obviously something that she feels can't be allowed to get off the island, yet its symptoms are apparent even in a small baby that Danielle would suggest to Claire to kill Aaron if he was infected? Very puzzling. The Others are also anxious to ensure that Aaron doesn't become infected, but don't care about the rest of the group. Its implied that adults are also vulnerable. What would happen if Aaron, which the Others value highly, were to get the disease? Good things / bad things?

And then we have Eko's confession, and the cutting of his beard. At first I thought he was going to commit suicide, which would have been the ultimate shock! Obviously the two mini-braids on his beard implied some sort of guilt, or pennance, which is now over. Has anybody ever read Dostoyevsky? Does this have some connection to "Crime and Punishment"? We know so little about Eko's character - does he know that Dharma want "good" people? Is that why he apologised? Does he know more about the island than he's letting on? I'm pretty certain that he plans to build a church using the trees he has marked.

There's a lot of information in there. In the words of Locke, "I think we're going to have to watch that again". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

10/10 for me too. When Kate opened that locker, I was reminded of what was so good about lost in the first place - huge revelations that make you giggle like a kid. Brilliant stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

cregser wrote:
    Wow, a new hatch AND they open it AND they walk in AND walk back out ALL in one episode!!! That's just too much, I couldn't believe it.

thats poissbly the funniest thing I've seen written on the lost board.. well done

on another note, all the "others" looked nicely clean well shaved.. and no glued on beards.. ooohhhhhhhhh the intruige begins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

A solid 8 from me.

The new hatch seemed to have fallen into dissarray fairly quickly. Also they seemed to have abandoned it in a hurry. The operating room had its fridges knocked over like people were ransaking/rushing to get out.

Interesting that zeke is not the boss, just the gaffer. And it seems that they are wearing their costumes whenever they are outside the hatch so that if they are spotted then they will be taken for natives/people living from the island and not clean shaven/showered hatch people.

Also it seems the Dharam experiment is still under way. THe flash lights would have to have the betteries changed in them regularly in order to have them in working order. Someone was maintaining that hatch/complex until they decided to bug out. And when they did bug out, why did they take all the kids toys etc?

Weird scene with Eko, dunno wtf that was all about.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Peace wrote:
    The new hatch seemed to have fallen into dissarray fairly quickly. Also they seemed to have abandoned it in a hurry. The operating room had its fridges knocked over like people were ransaking/rushing to get out.

you've got to wonder what the hell that's about.
    fantastic episode, ended too fast!
    9/10

Advertisement