Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Rights

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

imright wrote:
    Gays shouldnt be let any where near children

You wouldnt let a Gay man look after animals?
    You wouldnt let fat people look after your plate of burgers would you?
    So we shouldnt trust gays with kids...end of story

troll banned... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

imright wrote:
    Gays shouldnt be let any where near children

You wouldnt let a Gay man look after animals?
    You wouldnt let fat people look after your plate of burgers would you?
    So we shouldnt trust gays with kids...end of story

and you believe this so strongly that you had to make up a second (at least) anonymous name to even say it on the internet. good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The stupidity of some of the posts here is phenomenal. BEING BROUGHT UP BY GAY PEOPLE WILL NOT "TURN" A CHILD GAY!!! Also, it will not warp a person or cause them to be "brainwashed". I can't believe I'm actually saying this to (I would have thought) young, enlightened people in 2006! This "theory" about homosexuality being due to nurture rather than nature - on what do people actually base it? It's like this (again, I can't believe I'm typing it but clearly there are some people who need to be told): there are people who fancy members of their own gender. Simple. And, shock horror, it's the way they have always been. I agree, a kid being brought up by a gay couple is bound to come in for an awful lot of stick unfortunately - most likely by other kids whose parents have taught them to hate. But these kinds of people are the problem for the kid, not the gay parents.
    Another notion is that gay people are deviant and perverted and that homosexuality is comparable to, or the same as, paedophilia. Some people on this message board seem to believe this. God help us all.
    The other gem is that gay people choose this "lifestyle". To those who believe this: would you choose to sleep with members of your own gender when you'd actually prefer to sleep with the opposite sex? Would you choose to have to live a lie? Would you choose to be estranged from your family? Would you choose to be abused verbally and physically on a regular basis? Would you choose to suffer discrimination and a lack of equal rights? I'm straight but I know gay people who have experienced some, or all, of the above. And as for the religious angle: Yeah, it's really christian to gay-bash. Exactly the kind of message Christ was trying to spread about tolerance, love, forgiveness and compassion.

Grow up, you pack of morons!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Well said Dudess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭RobEire

Dudess wrote:
    The stupidity of some of the posts here is phenomenal. BEING BROUGHT UP BY GAY PEOPLE WILL NOT "TURN" A CHILD GAY!!! Also, it will not warp a person or cause them to be "brainwashed". I can't believe I'm actually saying this to (I would have thought) young, enlightened people in 2006! This "theory" about homosexuality being due to nurture rather than nature - on what do people actually base it? It's like this (again, I can't believe I'm typing it but clearly there are some people who need to be told): there are people who fancy members of their own gender. Simple. And, shock horror, it's the way they have always been. I agree, a kid being brought up by a gay couple is bound to come in for an awful lot of stick unfortunately - most likely by other kids whose parents have taught them to hate. But these kinds of people are the problem for the kid, not the gay parents.
    Another notion is that gay people are deviant and perverted and that homosexuality is comparable to, or the same as, paedophilia. Some people on this message board seem to believe this. God help us all.
    The other gem is that gay people choose this "lifestyle". To those who believe this: would you choose to sleep with members of your own gender when you'd actually prefer to sleep with the opposite sex? Would you choose to have to live a lie? Would you choose to be estranged from your family? Would you choose to be abused verbally and physically on a regular basis? Would you choose to suffer discrimination and a lack of equal rights? I'm straight but I know gay people who have experienced some, or all, of the above. And as for the religious angle: Yeah, it's really christian to gay-bash. Exactly the kind of message Christ was trying to spread about tolerance, love, forgiveness and compassion.

You know, I walked out of my church after 10 years of membership over this issue - the inability of the church elders to a) accept the fact that gays do not choose to be gay and b) that they have the same rights as straight people.

The rather weak argument they came back with was that gay people deprive children of a father/mother. I suggested that single parents might do the same - after some sputtering on their part I was allowed to leave...

I have noticed, in more places than just here - the association people make between gays and perversion, particularly paedophilia. It is very very worrying indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Sifo

Dudess wrote:

Although I agree with you, you should really try and put your point across in a calmer and less crazy ho way...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

jsb wrote:
    If there was a chronic shortage of married couples looking to adopt then would you allow gay couples to adopt as surely 2 loving parents would be better then one single parent

There isnt a chronic shortage though, unless you include the poor foreign orphan babbies which is opening another ethical kettle of worms
    Its all a fine balancing act, im sure you could give orphans to a circus of clowns or something and they would be loved and looked after but is it in the nippers best interests?

I think its the childs interests that come first as opposed to the "rights" of the adopted parents. I'm sure there's gay men who'd make good parents but you have to weigh that against the extreme oddness (oddity?? oddosity??) of that set up in wider social sense.

Oh Sifo, surely you're not accusing me of being aggressively opinionated?! No, I'm actually a really sweet person.

Bambi wrote:
    Its all a fine balancing act, im sure you could give orphans to a circus of clowns or something and they would be loved and looked after but is it in the nippers best interests?

so tell me, do you have an exhaustive list of social groups who should not be allowed to adopt, or do you stop at the twin evils of the carnies and the gays?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

People fear what they don't know. I don't see anything to suggest that having gay parents would make someone "warped". You can't give in to potential bullies (who are childish insecure people) by denying two loving people the right to adopt and raise a baby.

2 gay people that will raise the kid badly? They shouldn't be allowed to adopt. But neither should 2 straight people who will raise a kid badly. I don't see why people are getting so concerned. 2 gay people who want to adopt a child are obviously giving it a lot of thought before they go through with it, adoption is a long and hard process. Yet 2 straight scumbag a-holes can pop out a sprog anytime they want (and more often, when they don't want, and then couldn't be arsed raise their kid).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Bambi wrote:
    There isnt a chronic shortage though

well you said that if there was a chronic shortage you think it would be fine for single parents to adopt, so hypotetically speaking (as you where the one to bring it up) would it not be better for a child to be brought up in family with 2 gay parents as oppose to one single parent

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So should single people be allowed to adopt, or 2 people of either sex who are not having sex with each other? Adoption agencies should investigate people themselves.

I don't think there should be any financial benefits for married people. I do believe in child support but not money just because people are riding each other. You will get drinking buddies getting married for the laugh just to screw the taxman while never screwing each other :v:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Trilla wrote:
    I know people would love if all opened their eyes and except people for who and what they are, but when it goes against religions (which isnt that important) and nature (which is alot more important) its hard to except certain things. In an ideal world...............but its situations like these where its hard to explain to kids about gays, and the who what where and whys that go with them
    Tbh, a lot of people find it just as awkward to explain to kids about non gay sex.

As for being against nature, many animals exhibit homosexual tendencies.

Trilla wrote:
    Im a bit iffy on this subject, but on a side note - about 2 weeks ago The Sun displayed in my view a sickoning picture on both the front page and pages 4 and 5 of 2 famous boyband members shifting. The fact that it turned my stomach alone isnt what Im upset about, its the fact that my little nephew was with me in the shop at the time of viewing. Now its easy enough to avoid him seeing a page 3 chick, but this pic was for all to see. I didnt know how to react to the questions I got from him when he saw it. He's at that awkward age 9/10, a little innocent but smart and wise enough not to be fooled...

I know people would love if all opened their eyes and except people for who and what they are, but when it goes against religions (which isnt that important) and nature (which is alot more important) its hard to except certain things. In an ideal world...............but its situations like these where its hard to explain to kids about gays, and the who what where and whys that go with them

So two people who fancy each other are snogging and it turned your stomach. Oh wait, two guys snogging each other turned your stomach. So a pic of a guy and a girl snogging would be fine in front of your nephew. Why couldn't you just tell your nephew that some people are attracted to members of their own sex? I don't see the problem. It isn't a problem, but you see it as one because you think homosexuality goes against nature. How can a person's sexual orientation be unnatural?
    At least you don't want your nephew seeing page three chicks (some of those girls are barely 17. I think Samantha Fox was 16). That, along with the likes of the Britney/tAtU schoolgirl videos and the Christina Aguilera boxing ring video for Dirrty, are what we should really be concerned about when it comes to young kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Hobbes wrote:
    Indeed. I always wondered those so anti-gay get hung up on the sex part. They seem to think gay couples are continual shag-fests where the child will be enforced to watch because they are in the way of the telly.

Thats cause women limit sex. Men never tire. Ergo, in a gay relationship there would be no limits to times of sex.

netwhizkid wrote:
    Similar to Paris Hilton and her pet Chihuahua.
    This is the image i got.

Dudess wrote:
    The stupidity of some of the posts here is phenomenal. BEING BROUGHT UP BY GAY PEOPLE WILL NOT "TURN" A CHILD GAY!!! Also, it will not warp a person or cause them to be "brainwashed". I can't believe I'm actually saying this. This "theory" about homosexuality being due to nurture rather than nature - on what do people actually base it?

What do you base your - its natural - theorey? Certain cultures have far more gays than others eg Ancient Greece, Australia. Why would numbers differ between countries if not due to culture?
    Dudess wrote:
    . I agree, a kid being brought up by a gay couple is bound to come in for an awful lot of stick unfortunately - most likely by other kids whose parents have taught them to hate. But these kinds of people are the problem for the kid, not the gay parents.

You cannot put a child through trauma to prove a political point. The fact that so many people support this proves they are unfit to be parents.

Dudess wrote:
    Another notion is that gay people are deviant and perverted and that homosexuality is comparable to, or the same as, paedophilia. Some people on this message board seem to believe this..

The largest number of paedophile attacks are men on boys.

Dudess wrote:
    God help us all..

God blew up two cities because they accepted Gays. I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Dudess wrote:
    And as for the religious angle: Yeah, it's really christian to gay-bash. Exactly the kind of message Christ was trying to spread about tolerance, love, forgiveness and compassion..

See above
    Dudess wrote:

Grow up and stop peddling gay propoganda

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

hot2def wrote:

so tell me, do you have an exhaustive list of social groups who should not be allowed to adopt, or do you stop at the twin evils of the carnies and the gays?

No but Im sure i could compile one, but its more that the meat and two veg, mammy daddy option should win out over your more exotic social groupings when it comes to giving little timmy his chance in life. Kiddies arent social ploughs to push someone's agenda for equality

and most women are raped by men. the problem isn't that they are men, but that they are rapists.

Bambi wrote:
    Kiddies arent social ploughs to push someone's agenda for equality

nor are they trophies to be awarded to those closest to what you regard as the social norm.

hot2def wrote:
    and most women are raped by men. the problem isn't that they are men, but that they are rapists.

No the problem is that a larger percentage rape children, and they want to adopt children. (Remember they will likely be meeting many more gays than a normal child)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Alot of people seem to be assuming that kids will get bullied for having gay parents, but they are alot more tolerent than people are giving them credit for. In schools in Dublin today there is a very high percentage of people from ethnic backgrounds, and they aren't bullied. In fact, even in secondary school, where people get meaner, alot of people who have come out aren't bullied themselves, never mind about their parents. I know that there are gay bashers out there, but they are mostly grown up. Just a point for the anti adoption side to consider....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I couldn't vote yes for this because of the way the OP made the poll cover both marriage and adoption.

Marriage - Yes, by all means.

Adoption - No way - go find a sperm or womb donor (whichever applies).

No the problem is that a larger percentage rape children, and they want to adopt children. (Remember they will likely be meeting many more gays than a normal child)

nope, you missed it. my point was that the two issues aren't related. And there's no scientific evidence that shows otherwise.

Flashling wrote:
    Alot of people seem to be assuming that kids will get bullied for having gay parents, but they are alot more tolerent than people are giving them credit for. In schools in Dublin today there is a very high percentage of people from ethnic backgrounds, and they aren't bullied. In fact, even in secondary school, where people get meaner, alot of people who have come out aren't bullied themselves, never mind about their parents. I know that there are gay bashers out there, but they are mostly grown up. Just a point for the anti adoption side to consider....

In my brothers primary school a Russian boy wrote "Leave me alone" on a piece of paper and stapled it to his forehead. Guess why?

Despatch wrote:
    I couldn't vote yes for this because of the way the OP made the poll cover both marriage and adoption.

Marriage - Yes, by all means.

Adoption - No way - go find a sperm or womb donor (whichever applies).

actually I agree with you on this one. I'm confused as to why gay people are looking for approval on this one, there are other ways....

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gay, straight... we're all human. And we should all have the right to marry. And as long as they can be good parents, the right to adopt children too.

In my brothers primary school a Russian boy wrote "Leave me alone" on a piece of paper and stapled it to his forehead. Guess why?

soooooo, following your logic, we should keep Russians out of the country because it isn't fair on their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

i think yes to marriage but no to adoption..
    Its hard enough raising a child in this backward society of Ireland as it is, cant imagine how hard it would be on the child growing up having 2 male parents or 2 female parents for that matter! The child would have such a difficult youth.

What do you base your - its natural - theorey? Certain cultures have far more gays than others eg Ancient Greece, Australia. Why would numbers differ between countries if not due to culture?

Because certain cultures are more tolerant. A survey last year revealed that there are no - that's zero - lesbians in Northern Ireland. Funny that, N.I. being such a delightfully liberal society and all...
    I base my "it's natural" theory on simply this: why would a person choose to be gay, given all the **** they have to put up with? And why would your environment determine your sexual orientation? As has been reiterated countless times before, the children of heterosexual couples can be gay.
    You cannot put a child through trauma to prove a political point. The fact that so many people support this proves they are unfit to be parents.

Believe it or not, not all gay people are cynical and self-serving enough to use children to prove a political point. Some of them just want to give deserving kids a good home. There is no reason why they couldn't be loving parents, but society won't accept this idea - not because these are cruel, amoral people, but because they aren't heterosexual.

That means they fancy boys, not men. The focus here, just to remind you, is on consensual relationships between two adults.
    God blew up to cities because they accepted Gays. I wouldn't hold your breath.

WHA??? I presume you mean "two" cities. Which two cities were blown up? New York and London? Because from what I heard, they most certainly were not blown up by God or anyone representing him...
    Grow up and stop peddling gay propoganda

Propaganda? I'm not promoting or recruiting for a political party! Standing up for something much abused, ridiculed and misunderstood is quite different to using propaganda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

to the gay board, bi-boy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement