Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Rights

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Johnnymcg wrote:
    It's out about 2 weeks
    I'd actually forgotten about this thread:o
    Freelancer has been banned and he was my main opponent so I kinda left it....
    Where can I find the study?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Where can I find the study?

Well you could pm random Boards users until one gives you a link, or you could go to www.google.com and have a go yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Sand wrote:
    Well you could pm random Boards users until one gives you a link, or you could go to www.google.com and have a go yourself...
    I checked google. There were plenty of reports of its launch but none of the survey itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 johnnygroup

Apologies for the delay in getting it online here you go

http://www.gayhealthnetwork.ie/folder/web/pdf/hatecrimereport.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

"Dad, and Dad: Im straight":D

Yeah why not, who knows they might make less of a mess of it that straight couples. I think in 200 years we (or those who come after us depending on how my time travelling actually works out for me) will look back on this time as a dark age of opinion on human relationships

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I have no problem with gay marriage or adoption....on a side issue, why is it automatically assumed that the gays in question are male? What about lesbians, would they fall under the same assumptions re child rearing, paedophilia, warping young minds, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I have no problem with gay marriage or adoption....on a side issue, why is it automatically assumed that the gays in question are male? What about lesbians, would they fall under the same assumptions re child rearing, paedophilia, warping young minds, etc?
    I don’t think anyone makes that assumption for marriage, however it is often made in the question of adoption. As for why, this is hardly rocket science:
    1. Lesbians can and typically do take up the option of IVF treatment or equivalent rather than needing to adopt.
    2. The vast majority of reported paedophiles are men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

This thread is truly and utterly.....I dont know. In 2006 Boards has truly gone to the dogs in terms of common sense, the only saving grace being that out there in the real world I can probably think of at most two people who sympathise with the views expressed here. I honestly feel that these days a great deal of posters here will ignore their own thoughts on a matter to tow the PC line, "the right thing to do". I truly cannot believe that anybody who attended a school in the republic of Ireland in their lives is so up their own arse (no pun intended) that a boy who lives with two men as dads will on average suffer as much stick as the only nerdy/fat/black/English/whatever child in the class. Think back to when you were younger- if they had the vote, most boys between 8 and 18 would vote for a party whos main campaign promise is to burn all gays out of the country by 2010. You really honestly think that these kids are going to get an easy time? There are alot more liberal places than Ireland. Just because you find a study that said children adopted by gays in Holland or California experienced little additional hassle throughout their lives doesnt mean the same is going to happen when you do it in Finglas. It makes about as much sense as saying a study revealed that girls who wear bikinis on European beaches experience no negative social outcast status, so girls in Iran should start doing the same. There is a slim chance that, because a 5 year old boy starting off in school is joining a group that have absoloutely no idea what gay people are, and by the time young lads gain a vague knowledge of what its all about (around 8 or so), it is possible that the kid will already be so accepted as part of the class it will be irrelevant to the other students (mind you, a very slim one). But once he starts secondary, lumped in with a bunch of 13 yearold lads who hes never met before and theyve heard he lives with two gay lads, he hasnt a hope in hell (and if you think otherwise, you were homeschooled). The whole arguement has a sort of NIMBYism to it which I would call NIML - Not In My Life. Ah yeah, its grand for gays to adopt is the public line. What you dont need to mention is that you wouldnt really have wanted to be 13 and when asked "what do your mam and dad work at" reply that you have two dads and never met your mother. Bringing the first girl home to meet the "parents". Getting married, trying to explain to your future in laws your family situation. You really, truly wish you had lived this life?

And as for the arguement that there is no such thing as gay, straight and bisexual paedophiles, someone should really look up dictionary definations of the three terms.

Of course, I might as well be talking to the wall. As said, a great many of you here know full well this wouldnt work out in the school you went to, but its not the right thing to do in admitting this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

Freelancer wrote:
    Should we not allow gay people to adopt for no good reason other than some people won't like it? Not because its wrong but because there's prejudice against it? What message is that?

Exactly-by following this logic we shouldn't let black people into the country because they might encounter rasism!

A loving family with strong values is of paramount to a child but does it REALLY matter what form this family takes?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Shellie13 wrote:
    Exactly-by following this logic we shouldn't let black people into the country because they might encounter rasism!
    It reminds me of a debate in UCD a long time ago, about allowing a Traveller halting site on the grounds of Belfield. The opposition, all good, clean, middle-class and sanctimoniously Politically Correct, fell over each other with the argument that it should not on the basis that they disserved better.

It was one of the few times in my life that my cynicism failed to protect me from that sense of nausea you get when confronted with that level of sheer hypocrisy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

rsynnott wrote:
    Er, you're aware that we allow sterile people to adopt, right?

First, please stop with the capitalisation. Second, what you have described is a civil partnership. What did you think a civil partnership was? And it goes against nature? How, precisely? Homosexual behaviour is rather common among most higher mammals. I have no interest in the morals of the Catholic church; we are, supposedly, a secular society.

Homosexuals should be glad? That they've been given basic civil rights? While denied some others? Er, okay. I am reminded of the rhetoric used in the US deep south to deny black people the vote after they were freed from slavery.

Indeed. Now, it has come to my attention that fat children are often bullied. The obvious solution is a nationwide culling of fat children, and sterilisation of fat people. No fat person should ever be allowed to adopt.

Do you see how silly that is?

Ah, you're absolutely right. You know, when I was growing up, I heard Kenneth Williams on the radio, and I thought to myself "hmm, I'd better become a homosexual". Honestly, did you think that through at all?

Er, evidence? (Incidentally, I am enjoying trying to picture what you might think a Gay Environment would be. In truth, it'd be rather similar to a Straight Environment, I think).

Oh, dear. I don't feel that people that stupid should be allowed to have children.

Oh, another one. What's this "against nature" thing? Really? And as to explaining homosexuality to children, how, precisely, do you explain heterosexuality to children? Same thing!

Oh, I couldn't be bothered.

So, would you allow foreign people to adopt? The aforementioned Fat Menace? People with prominent teeth? Where do we draw the line, and admit that kids will bully over any old thing?

We do allow sterile people to marry, you know.

Thanks for saving me all that typing, ;)
    It really amazes me how unbelievably stupid some people actually are.

And as a side-note, re the bullying thing, I am gay, I was never "in the closet" in school (and this was 80's & 90's), it was common knowledge, right from the first week of my first year when I kissed my "boyfriend" in the doorway of my science class ....now, I also use a wheelchair, guess which I got the most slagging over? :rolleyes: you guessed it, the wheelchair!
    Children will be "bullied" no matter what, plain and simple fact of life Im fraid.

Oh, and I come from a "normal" familly, a mother & a father, and yet I was raped, completely outside of the home, by men, complete strangers to me,... married men, with hetro famillies, on two seperate occasions, by seperate people....

I live in a part of dublin where 85% of children are born to single parents, that means they grow up with only a parent of a single sex.
    Usually a mother, struggling to provide for her child with no help from a partner of any kind to share the workload.

So tell me all you anti-gay & anti-gay adoption rights, people out there, why should I not be allowed have a son or daughter? Given that I would have to go through the same extremely thourough assesment as any other couple who are being considered for adoption, and I know exactly whats out there and would give my life to keep a child from being harmed.

b

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement