Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Rights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

sinecurea wrote:
    But what sort of example is it going to set when the child starts to develop a sexual identity?

If it's a loving relationship then the example it'll set is to how to be open-minded about people, how to treat people, how to love people etc, etc, etc

Most gay people grew up with hetro-sexual parents, however they did not get their sexual identity from their parents did they?

So it's wrong to assume that a childs sexuality will be confused because the parents are gay.

I'm not saying you, or anyone else is wrong, I'm just stating what I think about the views being put forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

netwhizkid wrote:
    It goes against Nature,

Think Nature might disagree with you there...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnMJU9RrNhQ&search=gay%20penguins
    As a society Ireland is not ready for full integration Homosexuals into Mainstream society just yet. Maybe in 50yrs.

Thanks for telling everyone, ok all back into the cupboard. Better close up all those gay bars and lets revert the law that makes it legal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

netwhizkid wrote:
    Point 1: It is simply unfair to have Children living in a homosexual relationship they will grow up with a feeling of loss
    Based on what?
    and chances is that they too themselves may grow up Gay as a result of living in such a Gay Environment.
    Yes, because everyone knows straight people only have straight children.

Incidentally, if they do grow up to be gay, it's not a problem.
    As I said already there is no reason why Gay people can't have limited legal rights but not Marriage/Adoption Rights. While certain "Liberal" countries like Holland, Spain and the state of Massachusetts in the USA have legalised Homosexual Marriage, I cannot see it becoming an Issue here. There is no political party willing to play that card (except the Pds) as the backlash from Voters would erode any gains resulting from it.
    We'll see how the gay couple's court case goes then, eh.

As for this statement, While it may be a conscious decision, It is usually short-sighted and not fully thought through. Hollywood and MTV are pushing the Gay Agenda with films like "Brokeback Mountain" and "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" These tv shows have epitomised Gay culture and are showing Children to be the latest fashion accessory for Homosexuals, Similar to Paris Hilton and her pet Chihuahua.
    Those who would have children as a fashion accessory are as shallow as those who would refuse to let them have children based on this possible reason.
    I have never heard of Homosexuals Conceiving, Could you please enlighten me as to how a Gay Man/Woman could conceive? Unless of course assisted by the opposite sex.
    You know this has nothing to do with the point in the quoted post.

netwhizkid wrote:
    Point 1: It is simply unfair to have Children living in a homosexual relationship they will grow up with a feeling of loss and chances is that they too themselves may grow up Gay as a result of living in such a Gay Environment.

OMG!!!:eek: The thought of it!:rolleyes:

I'm not gay, but why do you have such a negative view of gay people?

As I already said, gay people to hetro parents didn't turn out hetro, so it's unfair to say that children of gay people would more than likely be gay too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Bambi wrote:
    It's seems kind of selfish to me to decide for some nipper that he's going to grow up in a non-standard issue family just because you want a babby.

an awful lot of kids in ireland today have been brought up in "non-standard issue families"

But what sort of example is it going to set when the child starts to develop a sexual identity?

a kid will grow up to be what it's going to be - after all, if you think that one through, how come some people are gay regardless of their hetro parents?

they too themselves may grow up Gay as a result of living in such a Gay Environment.

you truly have not got a clue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Beruthiel wrote:
    they too themselves may grow up Gay as a result of living in such a Gay Environment.

you truly have not got a clue

Indeed. I always wondered those so anti-gay get hung up on the sex part. They seem to think gay couples are continual shag-fests where the child will be enforced to watch because they are in the way of the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Bambi wrote:
    I dunno, if i was a nipper and i found out that i was being adopted by two gay daddies rather than a mammy/daddy arrangement i'd feel pretty ripped off

what about single single hetrosexual couples, should they also not be allowed to adopt as the kid would feel ripped off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

skywalker wrote:
    Your asking several questions there & lumping them in as one so might not be a simple yes/no. Id presonally answer yes to everything other than adoption, Im not sure Id agree with that, mainly as Im not sure it would be the healthiest of environments for the child.

shall we take kids away from every parent that doesn't provide a healthy environment? all the single parents, or the smokers, or the people who cant afford a fancy education. or the vegetarians and vegans? or the parents who can't read?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Beruthiel wrote:
    an awful lot of kids in ireland today have been brought up in "non-standard issue families"

Probably, but as far as I know we dont have orphanages brimming to the brim with little timmys and tammys looking for home's so the powers that be are spoiled for choice when it comes to foster parents.

I know if i was running an orphanage and (all other factors being equal) had to choose between an application from mr/mrs smith and one from mr/mr jones i'd feel duty bound to take the former.

hot2def wrote:
    shall we take kids away from every parent that doesn't provide a healthy environment? all the single parents, or the smokers, or the people who cant afford a fancy education. or the vegetarians and vegans? or the parents who can't read?

Don't forget the hippies and politicians:D

• Advertisement

what if mr and mrs smith have religious views that prevent the child getting certain medical treatments, food or schooling? what then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

hot2def wrote:

Taking kids away from someone & not allowing them adopt are 2 differant things no?

& to answer your leading question why should kids be in an unhealthy environment?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

hot2def wrote:
    what if mr and mrs smith have religious views that prevent the child getting certain medical treatments, food or schooling? what then?
    Or likes to keep them in cages

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1273177

Or not adopted, not biological:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4743354.stm

Or, for non adopted, bio:
    http://www.fox5ny.com/_ezpost/data/34894.shtml

netwhizkid wrote:
    I have never heard of Homosexuals Conceiving, Could you please enlighten me as to how a Gay Man/Woman could conceive? Unless of course assisted by the opposite sex.

for some of us, getting knocked up is not rocket science. and you can't stop us either. will you becoming around with the Morality Police to take kids away from gay and bisexual women>

skywalker wrote:
    Taking kids away from someone & not allowing them adopt are 2 differant things no?

& to answer your leading question why should kids be in an unhealthy environment?

not to be twee, but life is an unhealthy environment. the leading question was who gets to decide what is an unhealthy envirnoment?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

jsb wrote:

what about single single hetrosexual couples, should they also not be allowed to adopt as the kid would feel ripped off

Well no, they shouldnt, unless theres a chronic shortage of married couples who are suitable for adopting. I'd give the nod to a mammy/daddy setup over mammy or daddy doing it by themselves tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 imright

Gays shouldnt be let any where near children

You wouldnt let a Gay man look after animals?
    You wouldnt let fat people look after your plate of burgers would you?
    So we shouldnt trust gays with kids...end of story

imright wrote:

Get a life!!!

Like I said I'm not against people who believe homosexuality is wrong, but your argument above is just pathetic!

wow you dont say...your very bright

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

imright wrote:

Jesus Christ :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

hot2def wrote:
    not to be twee, but life is an unhealthy environment. the leading question was who gets to decide what is an unhealthy envirnoment?

Well thats certainly what it comes down to. Personally I feel a child who is adopted by a gay couple will face sufficient extra challenges in their early life stemming from that, to make it something to make it something that im not sure should happen. Im not saying that it couldnt work. But isnt that whats its all about, the interests of the child as opposed to the interests of the couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭RobEire

This is as easy for me to answer as the question - should women be paid the same as men in the workforce? Of course yes!

imright wrote:
    wow you dont say...your very bright

My very bright what??:confused:

Oh, Mr intelligent:- did you mean You're or you are

Having my intelligence insulted by you is no big insult tbh!
    Go brush up on your grammar:rolleyes:

oh the ironing is delicious

imright wrote:

There is this strange misconception that all gays are paedophiles. True, quite a few paedophiles are gay, but not all of them. Certainly the one that snatched my cousin wasn't (was married with kids of his own).

But then again - all your assertions above are infantile and without any basis in logic.

Bambi wrote:
    Well no, they shouldnt, unless theres a chronic shortage of married couples who are suitable for adopting. I'd give the nod to a mammy/daddy setup over mammy or daddy doing it by themselves tbh.

If there was a chronic shortage of married couples looking to adopt then would you allow gay couples to adopt as surely 2 loving parents would be better then one single parent

TO RobEire

Facts and logic are meanless you can make anything sound true if you back it up with facts and logic....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Sifo

yeah they should have the same rights.. Although i dont believe people in same sex a marriages should raise a family. I think it could have a negative effect on the child. A child should never be without a mother. In some cases this cannot be helped orphans etc. but one father is enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Im a bit iffy on this subject, but on a side note - about 2 weeks ago The Sun displayed in my view a sickoning picture on both the front page and pages 4 and 5 of 2 famous boyband members shifting. The fact that it turned my stomach alone isnt what Im upset about, its the fact that my little nephew was with me in the shop at the time of viewing. Now its easy enough to avoid him seeing a page 3 chick, but this pic was for all to see. I didnt know how to react to the questions I got from him when he saw it. He's at that awkward age 9/10, a little innocent but smart and wise enough not to be fooled...

I know people would love if all opened their eyes and except people for who and what they are, but when it goes against religions (which isnt that important) and nature (which is alot more important) its hard to except certain things. In an ideal world...............but its situations like these where its hard to explain to kids about gays, and the who what where and whys that go with them

• Advertisement

imright wrote:
    TO RobEire

Facts and logic are meanless you can make anything sound true if you back it up with facts and logic....

You may have a point, in fact I am sure I can find some statistics that would back you up...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement