Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Results (so far)

Options

Comments

snorlax wrote:
    can we not keep Myth?

:p

Who knows, I might try to come back after 4th year. That is, if I don't receive a castration from my girlfriend for suggesting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

heeheehee, oh dear god dee would kill you :D

also thats when i plan on running - ffs :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

A neil you hack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Danger Bob

Said I'd have to start posting on here eventually. There's a guy here who's username is kearnsr who everyone thinks is me. Oddly enough, it's not. Poor turn-out this year but fair play to everyone who made the effort and voted. And thanks to everyone who gave me a bit of support along the way.

As for the presidential race, I was in that room for some of the transfers and it was mad to see it so close. I got to know all the candidates throughout the campaign and they're all good guys. Even John McGuirk's just a big softy deep down. Fair play to Dave, Harman and the two Johns for running good, fair campaigns. My heart goes out to Harman with the whole 17 votes thing. We all gave him a great reception when he came downstairs after the result came out but he looked so crushed.

As for the presidential result, I think any doubters need to give Dave a chance. Love him or hate him, he's worked hard for students in this college for three years and now the students have chosen him as our president. He's a good guy and I reckon he'll do a good job.

Anyway, well done to Denise, Simon, Barry and Dave and to Ross for the constitution work. Thank god it's over!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I'm stuck in town :(.

College won't let me in.

I just bought a night in a cybercafé :(:(:(.

Dónal wouldn't help me either! :(:(:(

Quinn definitely won. It was as close as 5 votes out of 2700 at one stage.

**** one Enda. :p
    Should've asked your friends in Sandymount, oh wait...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i got a Taxi home Enda....

perhaps Dave quinn could have let you stay in his place....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Pythia wrote:
    **** one Enda. :p
    Will you stop acting like an utter bitch , if you've problems with enda deal with them in real life and take them off this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Pythia wrote:
    Actually Rachel, as it happens, after we congenially shook hands and I congratulated him on a good effort, John very generously offered me both his floor or taxi money home. He couldn't sign me into college at that time though, and it wasn't for lack of funds that stopped me getting a taxi but rather the exorbitant cost. Some other friends also offered me their couch, but I had a tutorial at 9 and didn't wish to disturb them in the morning.

As it was after 3am, my friend Cormac in Sandymount was probably fast asleep and, as some of us don't act comtemptuously - which going by your post you don't seem to be deterred about - I spared him the bother.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Will you stop acting like an utter bitch , if you've problems with enda deal with them in real life and take them off this board.

but its Enda!

but serriously, enda, you could have asked your mate dave quinn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

so, bascially, people are happy with the results are they? I was a bit disappointed in all the presidential candidates to be honest... Some really strange policies, even by the winning candidate. That's why I went for RON. Delighted with dep pres and welfare results though - truly think they'll both do a great job. Still, there's months until they take up office yet so no point speculating too much just yet!

• Advertisement

Dep pres, education, welfare, all happy with.

Ents - reasonably happy with. not my first choice but he'll do a decent job i'd say.

Pres - will wait and see - i was very up and down about pres candidates over the past while...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

President: Momentarily deeply unhappy, but we'll wait and see.
    Deputy President: Very happy.
    Welfare: Very happy.
    Education: Very happy.
    Ents: Not my personal favourite, but should do well.
    Referendum: Happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭osd

europerson wrote:
    Referendum: Happy.

If you're at council tonight I'll be doing a quickie presentation (strictly relating to council) to hopefully boost it to 'Very Happy' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

osd wrote:
    If you're at council tonight I'll be doing a quickie presentation (strictly relating to council) to hopefully boost it to 'Very Happy' ;)

Ross,

You have never done a quickie presentation in your life...

Surely, people already know what the changes to the constitution are and don't need a presentation, seeing as they voted them through?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

osd wrote:
    Awww... you shouldn't have...!

Ross,

You have never done a quickie presentation in your life...

Surely, people already know what the changes to the constitution are and don't need a presentation, seeing as they voted them through?
    ...that was a bit randomly harsh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I was one of the counters on the night and a very high number of people spoiled their vote on the referendum by writing in things like 'Not enough information given on this', 'I won't vote on something I don't know about, should have been better publicised', 'WTF is this?' etc.

And on the election results, two of them are good, two are a bit dodgy and the final one... well, I won't be here next year so enjoy your deathtrap ladies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Now that the dust has settled, the bickering over, the votes cast and the result in - i'm content with the officers elect. They had the courage to get out there as candidates, run campaigns and we have no idea about how they really will be as officers - i think that the things needed to be a good candidate (with a huge percentage depending solely on how the pictures on the posters look) are not necessarily those that are needed to be a good officer.

Now it's just up to the electorate, the reps and the exec to hold them to their promises....

The turnout seemed a little low - anyone any ideas about that? It confuses me as i love voting, and the excitement of democracy in action, so i can't conceive of someone just not bothering to vote. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

I was one of the counters on the night and a very high number of people spoiled their vote on the referendum by writing in things like 'Not enough information given on this', 'I won't vote on something I don't know about, should have been better publicised', 'WTF is this?' etc.

Yeah, looking at the final count figures, there's a huge number of spoiled votes for the referendum one (upwards of 400, compared to about 50-150 in the other ones) - but surely if the problem is a lack of knowledge about this among the student body then a council presentation won't solve it? The people on council should know this kind of thing already, as I'm assuming a referendum from within the SU was debated there at least once or twice?

And as for the results:
    President - I've heard so, so many bad things about him that I'm kinda worried.
    Dep President - he was godawful at the Dining Hall hustings, but I suppose better him than the joke candidates.
    Education - happy.
    Welfare - happy.
    Ents - happy enough, I guess. He seems like he'll do a good job, even if he wasn't my first choice. Or second, for that matter. Or third, now that I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

crash_000 wrote:
    ...that was a bit randomly harsh :p

oops - did i forget to put the '/humour' tags around those comments?! Not intended as a serious remark ... Ross, you know i find you very informative!

... although, does seem a bit late to be educating people about a constitution review process that started two years ago - AFTER people have voted for it! imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 hallsp

Hey- i was warned about being called something on boards so i decided to take a look...I wasn't godawful at dining hall hustings, i was just nervous and tired from the whole election process! I think i was quite sexy. Not as sexy as i could have been though- could have been naked....

Thanks for your constructive criticism though shay!
    Si

hallsp wrote:
    I wasn't godawful at dining hall hustings, i was just nervous and tired from the whole election process!
    Arn't those the same thing? he never said you were, just your proformance on that occasion. Considering its probally your first foray into an elected position involving alot of public speaking its hardly surprising ye weren't at yer best anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 21 hallsp

the same thing Nietzschean. Just felt like I had to defend my corner. Thanks! Also a very constructive criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

hallsp wrote:
    Hey- i was warned about being called something on boards so i decided to take a look...I wasn't godawful at dining hall hustings, i was just nervous and tired from the whole election process! I think i was quite sexy. Not as sexy as i could have been though- could have been naked....

Thanks for your constructive criticism though shay!
    Si

Stay naked for the duration of your time in office, and keep everyone distracted with your sexiness. Page 3 of the Record will never be the same again...and you'd save a lot of time not having to do laundry.

Hmmm, although you'd probably need to do something about the erratic heating in House 6.

cuckoo wrote:
    Hmmm, although you'd probably need to do something about the erratic heating in House 6.

Its not erratic, it just doesn't work after 5 or 6 or at all on weekends.

in fact, its perfectly punctual and on time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

ah guys will you give dave quinn a break, your all here complaining but he won a fair election. this time next year come out and say whether you think he done good job or not but the fact of the matter stands that the guy received more votes. im not his greatest fan but he's worked tirelessly hard for the SU and to be honest probably deserves it more than the other candidates, sure we'll all see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

wait maybe he doesnt deserve it more than others, but he still won

Bit of an over-reaction there? no one's launching into a big attack on dave quinn, when asked about the newly elected people they are a bit apprehensive, hardly some major attack like.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

bit apprehensive or "Momentarily deeply unhappy"? I still wouldn't call it an attack though....

Advertisement