Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Bubble Going to Burst?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Lol some of those posts are quite funny to read.

The same type of thinking got us into this mess in the first place. It's simple economics. Markets go up and down. All the time, you just need to study past trends... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It's interesting to read this thread. Back when this thread was first posted, I was a lurker on boards and still in college. Afterhours was a place to discuss general things. Notice the lack of Yore Ma and funny one liners?:pac:

Then it was bumped two years later and we had the "Ho ho-times have certainly changed!" and Yore Ma graced us with her presence.

Now, I bump it and it the economy has kind of tanked in the mean time. There will be lots of "In before the lock", linking to facepalm and other memes and the whole rough and tumble of modern Afterhours culture and thanks whoring.

Before it's locked, can a moderator make a mental note to bump this in 2 year's time? I want to see the Buzz generation making their contribution as well.:pac:

Won't be buying a house for a few years. Will save some money first before taking out a moderate mortgage for a moderately sized house.
    Moderate post, tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lol some of those posts are quite funny to read.

The same type of thinking got us into this mess in the first place. It's simple economics. Markets go up and down. All the time, you just need to study past trends... ;)

Thats the way everything works though, people pull a good guess from their ass and think they are the svaiour. How many things have been discussed without detractors? They have to be right some times. Sling enough mud and all that. Then it gets resurrected like some sort of prophetic bible.

Wheres all the threads full of bull that never happened? Search Run_to_da_hills threads for ammo. :) Sorry RTDH :P We're all suppose to be livign is forced labour camps hooked up to machines to harvest our organs by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    You get nothing at the end of renting for 20 years.
    But you aren't trapped if you decide to move. you're still free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Ah don't lock it, let's come back in another two years.

I'm looking back now, and thank my lucky stars I'm not in negative equity and made a few bob when I could. Well worth rereading though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Moderate post, tbh....

Thanks, Moderator.;)

XD My Dad predicted this in 2005 and will never let us forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Stekelly wrote: »
    Thats the way everything works though, people pull a good guess from their ass and think they are the svaiour. How many things have been discussed without detractors? They have to be right some times. Sling enough mud and all that. Then it gets resurrected like some sort of prophetic bible.

Wheres all the threads full of bull that never happened? Search Run_to_da_hills threads for ammo. :) Sorry RTDH :P We're all suppose to be livign is forced labour camps hooked up to machines to harvest our organs by now.

It's not a guess though. It's economics. Take a look at past trends and make decisions based on that. You cannot predict when it will happen or how bad it's going to be, but I can tell you that this will happen again and again and again. How bad that is depends on what decisions we make now. If we are wreckless then it will be tough, if we are cautious and grow steadily then we won't be effected as badly.
    XD My Dad predicted this in 2005 and will never let us forget it.

Lots of people made the same perdiction but it's not that hard to do, I mean, you cannot tell when this is going to happen, but it is going to happen ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

magpie wrote: »
    As a matter of interest who here among the prophets of doom owns a property, and who among the "status quo" brigade is renting?

I own a property and I don't expect a crash. Natch.

i was rentinmg then an' i'm renting now

so i'm still enjoying the quo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

The David McWilliams' series The Pope's Children was blasted by Government in early 2007 because in one of the episodes or an interview plugging the programme I think, he talked of a possible recession leading to negative equity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

My dad was saying all the same stuff to me as the O.P was in like 2004; he knew that it was a bubble waiting to burst. Ah well, its satisfying to see the idiotic responses of some people to the O.P...the type of people who ACTUALLY thought that the standard of living that existed in this country during the boom was both normal and sustainable and deserved by us as a nation!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Moderate post, tbh....

I'm not a mod in AH tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

tbh wrote: »
    I'm not a mod in AH tom.
    the power of words...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Lots of people made the same perdiction but it's not that hard to do, I mean, you cannot tell when this is going to happen, but it is going to happen ;)

We all know the patient is ill. He still smokes so some of us can conclude that he will die very soon, that separates the men from the boys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

I just read the first page of this thread, that gave me a really good laugh! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BennyBlanko

+1, it was SO mad back then........lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There are still people going around today saying "it was so sudden" and "sure nobody knew we never saw it coming" and I have to laugh at these people, where you living under a rock?

Someone posted a youtube video on here of a report TV3 did in 96 or 98 saying the same thing. Our housing market was unsustainable from the beginning and I'm finding it hard to understand how the "experts" didn't know that. This country was taken for a ride by certain people and now they've gotten away with it because Irish are weak and will let people walk all over them.

This is nothing, wait until the predicted peak oil and fish stock depletions happen in the coming decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

ScumLord wrote: »
    There are still people going around today saying "it was so sudden" and "sure nobody knew we never saw it coming" and I have to laugh at these people, where you living under a rock?

Someone posted a youtube video on here of a report TV3 did in 96 or 98 saying the same thing. Our housing market was unsustainable from the beginning and I'm finding it hard to understand how the "experts" didn't know that. This country was taken for a ride by certain people and now they've gotten away with it because Irish are weak and will let people walk all over them.

This is nothing, wait until the predicted peak oil and fish stock depletions happen in the coming decades.

joejoem's response in particular is quite hilarious.

Cant help but feel there is a lot of wonderful hindsight being floated around though at the moment. no doubt there was people who knew what was coming well in advance but there is certainly an element of being wise after the event now. im not saying you in particular just in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BennyBlanko

Remember when all the Estate Agents were predicting a "SOFT LANDING"......lol.........then last year I heard one ejit estate agent calling the state of things in the recession as "ADVANCED PRICE CORRECTION" ........lol, such fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

The whole episode was an example of the collective madness of the population, with a few exceptions. It is a well recognized phenomenon, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordinary_Popular_Delusions_and_the_Madness_of_Crowds However, our elected representatives really should have the foresight and wisdom to see what was happening. Alas, they were corrupted by the amount of money involved in the bubble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Ah ye, since when was 4 walls and a roof, poorly put together, with ppl below, and above and either side worth anything more than 200k. Anywhere.

Like really, did ppl stand on lawns, look at a semi detached houses somewhere and think . . ah ye thats worth 500k! :confused: Sure Ill go use 50% or 60% of my take home pay to buy it. . . sure itll be worth 10 million in 2 years. :rolleyes:

Some of the replies are real funny. The stung generation. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

aDeener wrote: »
    joejoem's response in particular is quite hilarious.

Cant help but feel there is a lot of wonderful hindsight being floated around though at the moment. no doubt there was people who knew what was coming well in advance but there is certainly an element of being wise after the event now. im not saying you in particular just in general
    No, people should have seen it coming, any financial expert worth their salts was saying it was unsustainable from the very beginning.
    The houses are of terrible standards, they're simply not worth the money and probably wouldn't pass building regulations in many other countries. They where flung up for a quick buck and the people that bought them stupidly bought into a fantasy, an obvious fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Lots of egg on face in the first page of posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

joejoem wrote: »
    :rolleyes: suprise suprise. Everyone is an expert when it comes to property. Property is reaching its true value in my opinion. As a small coutry we are majorly affected by supply here, we have a limited amount of land, especially close to the city in Dublin. Prices will climb for another 2 -3 years and then level off with the possibility of a small decline.

Anyone have a link for the double facepalm? :rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

SeaFields wrote: »
    Anyone have a link for the double facepalm? :rolleyes::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

This thread reminds me of those stupid films set in the past where they have a person say 'oh they (Rolling Stones) are never gonna make it' As if it is hilarious. Because we ALL know better, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

WindSock wrote: »
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, eh?

+1

And gloating makes people look small-minded and petty.

And kudos to Dave McWilliams and various clever people who predicted that the boom would end. I mean, booms never ever do that, do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

stovelid wrote: »
    +1

And gloating makes people look small-minded and petty.

Nobody ever called AH a bastion of broad-minded, magnanimous contributors. This is the equivalent of the Joe Duffy show with extra taxi drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    You get nothing at the end of renting for 20 years.
    Yeahs how I wish I had €100K+ negative equity and no job to pay my mortgage.
    At least now people will stop looking down on/slagging people who rent now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

That's 20/20 hindsight folks. Predicting the future is more difficult. Anyone care to guess the date that the price for the average 3 bed semi D wiill be lowest?

Advertisement