Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Bargains (not Freebies)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Overheal wrote: »
    Is Monday Night Combat free weekend not also in the EU? I havent heard anyone else mention a peep about it.

I think it's actually pretty fun. Many of the same elements TF2 used to have before it was ruined. 5 Classes, and you can select up to 3 sponsors that give you different perks (nothing major, like a slightly larger clip, faster movement speed, more armor, etc), base building and a handful of witty commentaries.

It's 33% off until Monday, I assume thats a tenner.

gameplay:

IGN Review:

It is. Had a few games with some friends last night.
    We'd buy it only we're mostly broke :(

Is there a problem with Steams timing of it though. Mine says it's finished in 13 hours

Also, a lot of the servers had terrible ping and when we wanted to play the coop against the ai we just used direct connect because the browser wasn't showing my game. It does have dedicated server support though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Yeah its still up, costs around €7.70 I think.

Also, one of the best reasons to own it on PC....Cardboard Tube Samurai

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

Dead to right for the PS3 is only 10 euro new in gamestop well worth that

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No the free weekend actually ends in a few hours, but the discount is up for another day. Good marketing tactic, and being reasonable it's pretty effing cheap. They seem to be taking the smart approach which is to get more people playing with a cheaper buy-in, but even saying that you can still have fun with 1 or 2 people as the game world is full of bots - that is, not Bot-controlled players: actual bots.
    Gunmonkey wrote: »

The best is when one tries to assassinate you without their dagger/sword in their hand - they just slap you in the face a bit and do a minimal amount of damage. I get to respond by throwing a grenade in their face, charging at them, and doing a spin attack if theres anything still left standing.

That said though an Assassin with the upgraded sword and the critical-hit and damage sponsorships can kill you with one attack. And they're cloaked most of the time so the good ones can get really annoying! But it's a hard class to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I wish I had bought BF2:Vietnam instead MNC.

I personally think the game is unbalanced, clunky and a little boring. But, hey, if you spend a night in playing the game instead of going out it pays for itself.

• Advertisement

imbalance where?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Just picked up Force unleashed II for the xbox for my Son as part of a trade in game offer in Gamestop.

The sticker on the front said €10 but it turned out to only €5 with a game that qualifies.

Just before the inevitable jokes... no I didnt trade my son for the game. :D

imbalance where?

Admittedly they have released a patch or two since I last played, but the obvious imbalance appears in the classes. Also, I think that a few of the arenas aren't conducive to playing certain classes. (Heavy gunner vs assassin or sniper :(.) Aside from this, too often the games I have played in (about 5 hours in total) have ended in a stalemate.

I like the game as a concept but I'm not convinced that it is executed all that well. Perhaps they will iron out some of the more frustrating elements of the game and add a more tactical element in any sequel (Tuesday Night Combat?). For example, the ability to control the attack routes of your bots or to set attack/ defend orders.

It really depends on what you do. Earlier on I felt some of the larger maps were conducive to gunners/sniping till i started looking around the sides of these maps and found *a lot* of back doors. You can even buy jump-pads up to their own spawn gates and get the feckers from behind. Juice can be bought for $500 in the middle if you need to make a massive push but some people prefer to spam the Spawn Bots button and send wave after wave of bouncer bots. Bouncers dont follow the path - they seek out enemy players and try to tackle them (if they cant find any they start hitting turrets). They also have a lot of health.

Snipers arent that hard to evade, gunners hate them though. Headshots when deployed. I like playing tank and using my thrust to push people out of the arena. You also have a secondary weapon which has unlimited range and is great for taking on gunners. Snipers do however have nice traps, take-downs, and an uzi. And a well played assassin can only be stopped if you see thembefore they hit you, or you're simply dead. You can upgrade their Jump to give them *a lot* more mobility.

Gunner is not a class I spec into deployment for, because yes they tend to be sitting ducks. But if you are mobile your Slam ability (shift key) works great on ninjas and such and your miniguns are still about as effective as they are when you're deployed. Tank and Gunner deployment seems better suited to co-op mode. The only thing pssibly imba/Annoying are Support firebases but even those arent unstoppable.

Attack and Defend Tactics arent needed, you can buy masses of bouncers on the offense, use Hazards to blow up swaths of bots, and build and upgrade your turrets - RockIt turrets being by far the most effective, just the most expensive also.

I'll return to it at some stage. I figure a good price to value my game time is €1 per hour. That leaves me about 5 hours of game time before I've paid it off and thus justify the purchase :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

5 Classes
    6 classes. Assassin, Assault, Sniper, Gunner, Support, Tank
    Gunmonkey wrote: »

You'll have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that needs a code. Or maybe the code was for early access. Anyway, they gave out Cardboard Tube Samurai codes at PAX!
    The best is when one tries to assassinate you without their dagger/sword in their hand - they just slap you in the face a bit and do a minimal amount of damage. I get to respond by throwing a grenade in their face, charging at them, and doing a spin attack if theres anything still left standing.

That said though an Assassin with the upgraded sword and the critical-hit and damage sponsorships can kill you with one attack. And they're cloaked most of the time so the good ones can get really annoying! But it's a hard class to play.

(Xbox) Not minimal. As Assassin b***h slap will kill an unarmoured Sniper or Assassin :D Also, any Assassin that comes at a Tank from the front is going to die.

Sword back grapple will kill every class in one shot, except for a Gunner with an Armour endorsement, or a Tank with Passive 3 and/or some Armour Endorsement. Not sure if Crit Shot endorsement affects sword grapples. We discussed it on the Uber forums, but I don't remember what conclusion we came to.
    imbalance where?

Ahahaha, seriously? TL;DR version: Assault is totally overpowered (on Xbox, at least)
    Snipers arent that hard to evade, gunners hate them though. Headshots when deployed. I like playing tank and using my thrust to push people out of the arena. You also have a secondary weapon which has unlimited range and is great for taking on gunners. Snipers do however have nice traps, take-downs, and an uzi. And a well played assassin can only be stopped if you see thembefore they hit you, or you're simply dead. You can upgrade their Jump to give them *a lot* more mobility.

Gunner is not a class I spec into deployment for, because yes they tend to be sitting ducks. But if you are mobile your Slam ability (shift key) works great on ninjas and such and your miniguns are still about as effective as they are when you're deployed. Tank and Gunner deployment seems better suited to co-op mode. The only thing pssibly imba/Annoying are Support firebases but even those arent unstoppable.

Attack and Defend Tactics arent needed, you can buy masses of bouncers on the offense, use Hazards to blow up swaths of bots, and build and upgrade your turrets - RockIt turrets being by far the most effective, just the most expensive also.

You don't need to upgrade the Assassin Smoke Bomb. When you use it, hit the jump button, and even a level 1 Smoke Bomb will send you flying upwards. If you don't hit the jump button, you'll stay where you are

Siiiiiiiir, I am not a very good Gunner, but you need to learn to play Gunner :p If you're interested, I've been playing this game since launch day, and I got to rank 80 on the Xbox leaderboards, so I can give you tips on how to play classes. Just drop a PM. Gunner deploy is beastly powerful. Throw on even a bronze Crit Shot endorsement, and you'll win in almost every Gunner vs. Gunner battle. Deploy adds more Crit Shots, and it slows down your enemy. Don't sit there waiting, but if you bump into an enemy in a narrow hall on Spunky Cola, deploy as your Miniguns are revving up, and you'll kick butt.

Tank Deploy is a defensive move. Level 2 Passive gives you health regeneration. Very useful if you're low on health, just run around the corner and deploy. Level 3 gives your ammo regen, which is useful if you deploy while juiced in front of the moneyball, but definitely not a necessary purchase. Also, don't play Gunner in Blitz mode, and a Tank shouldn;t be deploying. Just Death Blossom + Railgun.

Finally, Gremlins > Bouncers :D

how can you buy different types of bot? I only see the basic buy bots option for 100 and it always spawns a bouncer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Depends on what class you're playing as at the time, each class spawns different minions.

I played a good bit as Gunner, found it pretty interesting. Tanks ate me up usually though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

keep an eye out for homefront should be selling cheap as chips in the next two weeks and believe me for good reason lol its shockingly bad IMO STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

keep an eye out for homefront should be selling cheap as chips in the next two weeks and believe me for good reason lol its shockingly bad IMO STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS

Did you got it in the end? I walked away from it like it was acid souring alien...

Fable 3 will go sooo cheap too. It's like hundred of copies in gamestop. Used ones for 32 quid allready. Was tempted to pick it up, but salesman lad took it away, gave me fable 2 goty for 14 quid lol. I was like: is it that bad? His looke told me the horrible story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Did you got it in the end? I walked away from it like it was acid souring alien...

Fable 3 will go sooo cheap too. It's like hundred of copies in gamestop. Used ones for 32 quid allready. Was tempted to pick it up, but salesman lad took it away, gave me fable 2 goty for 14 quid lol. I was like: is it that bad? His looke told me the horrible story...

Can't understand all the hate on fable 3, sure it's not as good as Fable 2 but it really isn't as bad as some make out. What is annoying about it is the game breaking bugs introduced by the last DLC.

On the subject of Fable 3 if anyones got weapons for the "Guns, we need lots of guns" achievement add me for some trading. GT: Calex dEUS

its terrible honestly....

i played it for an hour 35 mins campaign got sick of it being terrible then mp for 25 so 1 hout and traded it today...

it is so bad its like a game from 7 years ago buggy as hell and AAAAAARGH I HATE IT

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Gamestop are giving away a free copy of two worlds 2 with it, two crap games for the price of one :D

http://www.gamestop.ie/core/common/Default.aspx?quickSearch=Homefront+-+Resistance+Edition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

ShaneU wrote: »
    Gamestop are giving away a free copy of two worlds 2 with it, two crap games for the price of one :D

http://www.gamestop.ie/core/common/Default.aspx?quickSearch=Homefront+-+Resistance+Edition

Good god they must be worthless!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Got a free copy of enslaved with DA:2 there last week in gamestop, played it already though :(.................... to adverts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Motorstorm Platinum on PS3 for €4 delivered. they also now accept laser too. fyi
    http://www.gamestop.ie/30361_PlayStation_3_Motorstorm_Platinum_.aspx

not my cup of tea, but a bargain none the less.

edit: Thanks to Josey Wales below for reminding me that it's for preowned versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ShaneU wrote: »

holy crap that went fast!!! i was expecting it in bargain bin only in months time! :eek:

Batman:Arkham Asylum GOTY edition is €7.50 on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35140/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Motorstorm Platinum on PS3 for €4 delivered. they also now accept laser too. fyi
    http://www.gamestop.ie/30361_PlayStation_3_Motorstorm_Platinum_.aspx

not my cup of tea, but a bargain none the less.

Picked this up myself over the weekend. It is used though.

Just traded in Homefront (that I got for 3 old games and €3 euro) back into gamestop for €45 credit. Happy effen days.

kendragon wrote: »
    Just traded in Homefront (that I got for 3 old games and €3 euro) back into gamestop for €45 credit. Happy effen days.
    did the same myself but preordered crysis 2 and got 56.25 credit for homefront because of the 25% extra on trade ins if you use it against an upcoming release or pre order:cool:

MAG is currently €15 on PSN. Great price for a good good game. I even repurchased it there today, after trading it in a few months back.

Nicely timed to coincide with the PSN game nights that GothPunk is looking to get up and running.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056216330

MAG is currently €15 on PSN. Great price for a good good game. I even repurchased it there today, after trading it in a few months back.

Nicely timed to coincide with the PSN game nights that GothPunk is looking to get up and running.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056216330
    15 is a great price for mag imo

• Advertisement

did the same myself but preordered crysis 2 and got 56.25 credit for homefront because of the 25% extra on trade ins if you use it against an upcoming release or pre order:cool:

Doh! Never thought of that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement