Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Bargains (not Freebies)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Rael wrote: »
    Split Second: Velocity is now down to €24.99 in Game on Dawson Street on PS3 and 360.

Picked up a copy at lunchtime.

On my way now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Split Second: Velocity is now down to €24.99 in Game on Dawson Street on PS3 and 360.

Split Second is €22.99 in HMV.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

PC version is 20 euro in HMV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Split Second is €22.99 in HMV.

I've seen it in Henry Street and Grafton Street for €32.99!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

columok wrote: »
    I've seen it in Henry Street and Grafton Street for €32.99!!!

I have seen it for both prices in HMV Remember it's HMV we are talking about who when avatar the game was released it was up in the video section for around half price and down in the game section for full price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Picked up a few other games with this cos I was using a voucher and had store credit. Split Second is actually €22.99 on the receipt, so cheaper still :)

In addition, Mass Effect 2 on the 360 had a €34.99 price sticker but I was only charged €24.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Project Gotham Racing 4 on the 360 is €5.99 in HMV on Grafton Street. Ironically the budget edition is just down the shelf from it for €11.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Project Gotham Racing 4 on the 360 is €5.99 in HMV on Grafton Street. Ironically the budget edition is just down the shelf from it for €11.99

They have different barcodes so computer systems recognize them as different products, even though they are the same game.
    It's the same everywhere.

Also on the HMV vibe I saw Afro Samurai for €8 in Blanch this evening. Seems alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mancho

Bioshock 2 Xbox 12.99 Game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Just Cause 2 - Steam - €24.99
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/8190

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just Cause 2 - Steam - €24.99
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/8190
    Cheaper on theHut.com
    http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/pc/just-cause-2/10059879.html
    About €20 or sp (£14.99 + 99p delivery)
    And it uses Steamworks. So It's tied to your steam account. Why pay more for same?
    Like I've said before. Just because it's on sale on Steam, doesn't mean it's a bargain. Or even a good price for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Cheaper on theHut.com
    http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/pc/just-cause-2/10059879.html
    About €20 or sp (£14.99 + 0.99p delivery)
    And it uses Steamworks. So It's tied to your steam account. Why pay more for same?
    Like I've said before. Just because it's on sale on Steam, doesn't mean it's a bargain. Or even a good price for it.

Meh I'll pay the extra €5 so I can download it straight away. Just handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Meh I'll pay the extra €5 so I can download it straight away. Just handier.
    Me too. I don't actually want the game but if I did, I could be playing it when I got home tonight after leaving it dl'ing while I was in work.
    I don't get why people don't acknowledge that some others are happy to pay a small premium for convenience.

Nevore wrote: »
    Me too. I don't actually want the game but if I did, I could be playing it when I got home tonight after leaving it dl'ing while I was in work.
    I don't get why people don't acknowledge that some others are happy to pay a small premium for convenience.
    And people wonder why Steam tries to charge €50 for brand new PC games when they are €40 in the shops. Because people like you are willing to pay the high price for convenience.
    Even Modern Warfare is still €60. Would you pay the premium of €20 just for the convenience of being able to download it on Steam? No.

Alright, that example might me a little extreme, but it gets my point across. Steam's pricing in Europe isn't competitive at all. And even when the games are on special they aren't even a bargain half of the time.
    That is the name of this thread isn't it? Gaming bargains.
    Not 'overpriced games that are now half price, still not bargain but really convenient'

Any way. Back on topic.
    The first Mass Effect for the PC is quite cheap at £4.95 + 99p shipping on Zavvi.com. About €7.25 or so.
    http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/mass-effect/9965618.html
    Oh, and for those who are willing to splash out for convenience, it's €14.99 on Steam.:rolleyes:

a fiver in the difference shouldnt warrant a rant. ye should see blizzards digital download price versus hardcopies if ye really want a rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

a fiver in the difference shouldnt warrant a rant. ye should see blizzards digital download price versus hardcopies if ye really want a rant

There are legitimate reasons to be annoyed when a 'limited time only half-price sale' on 'non-physical' media can't even match the regular, everyday price found elsewhere for the physical copy.

Just because other places are worse doesn't mean we should ignore Valve's shortcomings.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hey, anyone know where the cheapest place to buy Red Dead Redemption is? £37 on Zavvi, £40 on play.com and £37 on Amazon.co.uk. Is it just selling really well?

On a separate point, watch out for used copies in HMV. I saw a used copy of SSFIV for ~44 euro while a NEW COPY was ~30. I was so annoyed to see it! WTF charging more for a 2nd hand -- even charging the same, or even 80% of what a new game costs -- should be outlawed :mad:

Fnz wrote: »
    There are legitimate reasons to be annoyed when a 'limited time only half-price sale' on 'non-physical' media can't even match the regular, everyday price found elsewhere for the physical copy.

Just because other places are worse doesn't mean we should ignore Valve's shortcomings.

so bash everyone til the lowest price is on there, right?

so bash everyone til the lowest price is on there, right?

Or, as is relevant on a bargain thread, offer alternatives for those looking for the best price. Doesn't hurt to point out that there's little need to jump on a limited time offer when the offer isn't great to begin with, and the item can be bought cheaper at any time.

• Advertisement

And people wonder why Steam tries to charge €50 for brand new PC games when they are €40 in the shops. Because people like you are willing to pay the high price for convenience.
    Even Modern Warfare is still €60. Would you pay the premium of €20 just for the convenience of being able to download it on Steam? No.
    Well it might be convenient for some people to download it. (Like people who dont live near a games shop etc.)
    Alright, that example might me a little extreme, but it gets my point across. Steam's pricing in Europe isn't competitive at all. And even when the games are on special they aren't even a bargain half of the time.
    That is the name of this thread isn't it? Gaming bargains.
    Not 'overpriced games that are now half price, still not bargain but really convenient'
    Personally if theirs a big gap in price (like the MW2 scenario) I'll buy it from the shop but a fiver hardly makes much of a difference and you pretty much get it straight away.

anyway, over and out.

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Well it might be convenient for some people to download it. (Like people who dont live near a games shop etc.)

I wonder if in general, the same people who are far away from a games shop, also have pretty slow internet/small bandwidth issues as well?

Right, well. Just Cause 2 is €25 on Steam. :eek:

It's £9.99 + 99p shipping on Zavvi.com. That's about €13 or so.

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/just-cause-2/10059879.html
    If I didn't own it already. I know which one I'd be going with.;)

Two different services producing the same end result.
    Ultimately this is about choice; digital copy, hardcopy,wait-time, and patience.
    I know a lot of people who'd rather pickup the game in a shop or wait around for post from play/zavvi/amazon/etc.., but when you're surrounded by ****ty gaming shops, or a big hike to a decent one, and/or dont wanna wait for up to two weeks, the digital version and few extra euro look a lot better.

personally, i think its a bargain.

People consider the Steam version a bargain so it should be mentioned here. Others are also right in pointing out that, if you're not in a rush to get a 4 month old game, you could get 2 games for the same price, elsewhere.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I wonder if in general, the same people who are far away from a games shop, also have pretty slow internet/small bandwidth issues as well?

Not really, down in Kerry (where I live unfortunly) we have only one Gamestop in Tralee and then theres Limerick and Cork. Broadband is good in most of towns around Kerry.
    It's £9.99 + 99p shipping on Zavvi.com. That's about €13 or so.

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/just-cause-2/10059879.html
    If I didn't own it already. I know which one I'd be going with.;)

Now that price justifys the wait :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Bit of a gaming sale on amazon.co.uk at the moment - all platforms, PC highlights include

L4D2 - £11.97
    Metro 2033 - £9.60
    B2BC - £12.99
    Fallout 3 GOTY - £11.99
    Dragons Age Origins - £11.98
    Mass Effect 2 - £12.75
    Bioshock 2 - £9.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=pe_11711_21153931_as_txt_6/?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A440378031%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A671468011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Bioshock 2 is €12.99 new or 9.99 pre-owned in Game. was in galway today and picked up a copy. for xbox 360 btw. didn't look for other platforms.

loads of other games are half-price. i saw Mass Effect 2 for €24.99 (i think) down from €50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Gamersgate are having their summer sale.
    Week 1 RPGs.

http://www.gamersgate.com/summersale

For example you can get king's bounty for 2.50

• Advertisement

Gamersgate are having their summer sale.
    Week 1 RPGs.

http://www.gamersgate.com/summersale

For example you can get king's bounty for 2.50
    Torchlight is €3.98 on Gamersgate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement