Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychics & Mediums (ask questions here)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

ISAW wrote:
    Or they just dont exist? I would sincerely love to koow about someone who can talk to the dead but I honestly have NEVER seen ANY evidence of someone being able to do this.

Here is something on Doris Stokes which suggests her being nothing better than an adept Cold Reader:

http://www.re-quest.net/entertainment/movies-and-tv/tv/john-edward/

Look under : A Sample 'Annotated' Psychic Reading

I would like to know more about her. Can anyone contribute as to what she claimed to help support or assist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 whiteybags

I am after getting an appointment to get my tarot cards read. I had heard that the person was a fortune teller. It was only when making the appointment that she said that she actually would be reading tarot cards.

Anyway - I was just wondering what exactly she will be able to tell me from the tarot cards? It will be all broad things like -
    "You have a big decision to make soon."
    "You are going to go through a big change in your life soon."
    "I see sorrow in your life."
    All the usual cliches?
    She won't be able to tell me things about my life from tarot cards right? She said it could take up to 40 mins. Seems kinda long.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Can we ask for details of when you are getting it done, how you heard of her and where she is? ... or are you going to be as vague as a fortune teller? (joke)
    Giving someone a reading is alot like painting a picture, you can use a number of tools paint brush, palette knife, etc., they will all affect the end product. Fortune tellers use different tools to depending on what they are used to or if the have a specific result they want to achieve.

Either way would love to know how it goes.

6th

I wanted to go to a fortune teller so I googled it. I looked up as many forums as a possibly could on the subject - read all threads I could find. I'm from the Cork area so I was looking for someone relatively near here. All the things that were written about the person I'm going to were good so I chose her. Didn't realise from what people said though that she was a tarot card reader (Doh!). Ah well - sure I'll give her a go anyways. I'm going next week so I'll log on after & give a quick synopsis! I'm not gonna post her details here but if you PM me I'll respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

whiteybags wrote:
    I am after getting an appointment to get my tarot cards read. I had heard that the person was a fortune teller. It was only when making the appointment that she said that she actually would be reading tarot cards.

That is the most common method I know of.
    whiteybags wrote:
    Anyway - I was just wondering what exactly she will be able to tell me from the tarot cards? It will be all broad things like -
    "You have a big decision to make soon."
    "You are going to go through a big change in your life soon."
    "I see sorrow in your life."
    All the usual cliches?

Depends on the person doing it. If they are decent, you're likely to get more detailed information than that. You're not going to get names and places (I would imagine) but it shouldn't be that generic.
    whiteybags wrote:
    She won't be able to tell me things about my life from tarot cards right? She said it could take up to 40 mins. Seems kinda long.

Not necessarily. It would probably depend on the spread they use. If its a large one, say 12 or 14 cards (rough numbers, I'm not a tarot reader) then it will take a while to explain each card to you, its general meaning, significance in the position it has come up in the spread, and then work out the overall meaning of what you've got.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Liza

Hi All,

Dympna is doing a Spiritual Demonstration in the Grand Hotel in WIcklow.

If you are interested in getting a ticket contact details are as follows:

Phone 0868418719

e-mail sherin70@hotmail.com

Liza

Liza wrote:
    Hi All,

Dympna is doing a Spiritual Demonstration in the Grand Hotel in WIcklow.

If you are interested in getting a ticket contact details are as follows:

Phone 0868418719

e-mail sherin70@hotmail.com

Liza

When is this happening?

6th

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You're not going to get names and places (I would imagine) but it shouldn't be that generic.
    Spiritual/psychic mediums (media?:) ) give readings which have no fortune telling element and can often give this kind of info, tarot imho is a different type of reading, but you should expect some info on your present situation which could not be applied to just anyone (that would be cold reading)

Thanks Hairyheretic & Katie K. I have a bit more of an idea of what to expect now. I'll come back next week & tell you what I thought of it.

KatieK wrote:
    Spiritual/psychic mediums (media?:) ) give readings which have no fortune telling element and can often give this kind of info, tarot imho is a different type of reading, but you should expect some info on your present situation which could not be applied to just anyone (that would be cold reading)

Well, whiteybags said it was a tarot reading, so thats what my comments were based on. As I said, I don't read tarot myself, but I know a little about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Shortnose

Cheers all! :)

Just joined the board and this is the first thread I spotted that I wanted to read.

I've been a medium for 20+ years here in the US. I find it to be the most rewarding aspect of doing any kind of reading. I find that 'dead people don't lie'. ;) I've had some very interesting experiences passing messages on to folks and find it is very comforting to those who receive them. After all, what most people are really seeking is the (re)connection with their loved ones.

My fiance died 4 years ago at the tender age of 50. Even I went to another medium for solace and comfort. Thank God for mediums, eh? It's one thing to be able to tune in for others, altogether another to try to tap in when one is in the throes of utter grief...but I also received messages from my fiance, myself, so not so far away. Oddly enough, a friend of mine had gone to a public stage/platform reading about 6 months after my fiance had passed on and the medium gave a message for me (said my name) and then mentioned my fiance by name and proceeded to give the message! How great was that? I wasn't even present, but my friend was able to bring me the message....

Long ago, I worked in Dublin at the Shelbourne Hotel. I lived in a hostel owned by the hotel on Lower Fitzwilliam St. I used to wander around St. Stephen's Green. I miss Ireland so much!

Seeing as there are not enough mediums to go around in Eire, perhaps I shall pack my bags and head on over. :D What I wouldn't give to be there again, where I was sooooo happy.

Well, cheerio, and I look forward to reading more posts here as well as posting myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

Welcome Shortnose, any chance we can do a swap? I'm sick of working in Ireland and much prefer working in the States! Really sorry to hear of your loved one passing on, someone I love passed on a few years ago. P.M.me and maybe we can do an Astral exchange reading?What part of the U.S. you in btw? I work a lot in L.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

mysteria wrote:
    Welcome Shortnose, any chance we can do a swap? I'm sick of working in Ireland and much prefer working in the States! Really sorry to hear of your loved one passing on, someone I love passed on a few years ago. P.M.me and maybe we can do an Astral exchange reading?What part of the U.S. you in btw? I work a lot in L.A.

Whats Astral Exchange Reading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

Hello again Zillah, I'm offering a reading in exchange for one. In other words we'll help each other (astrally rather than face to face) if Shortnose would like that. (Just offering a bit of support, and maybe hoping for some as I've never come across a good medium)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shortnose

mark13 wrote:
    i hate to state the obvious,but if this guy is really psychic why the hell is he working out of the back of a pub in mullingar...

LOL!!

I'm sorry about your mother, and that your father was taken advantage of in his grief. :(

Not all psychics are 'scum/conmen, etc'. I've been a psychic/medium for over 20 years. I just tune in to a person and the information starts to flow to me. I view myself as a kind of telephone. :p Just something to pass a message through.

Plenty of people have been helped by legitimate spiritualists. So, in your bitterness over what happened to your poor father try not to diss the entire clan of folks out there just trying to help people with their inner gifts....

So its like what mediums do normally but over a distance? If you don't know each other then how do you make a connection?

mysteria wrote:
    Hello again Zillah, I'm offering a reading in exchange for one. In other words we'll help each other (astrally rather than face to face) if Shortnose would like that. (Just offering a bit of support, and maybe hoping for some as I've never come across a good medium)

But this was your explaination of an "astral exchange" reading. Don't you mean simply a reading where you are not in the same room? I mean you have no idea whether the other person (shortnose) believes in the astral plane in the first place do you?

I really have a problem with these sort of phrases because 1 simple english can be used withoiut making up words. 2. When someone makes up words it is difficult to see what they mean. I mean if "astral" can be taken to mean "not physically in the same vicinity" then we could have "astral" transactions whenever we use a credit card or astral phone calls. surely it is better to just simple say "if you give me [insert favour here] for free then I will give you [insert favour] for free" ?

Zillah wrote:
    So its like what mediums do normally but over a distance? If you don't know each other then how do you make a connection?

Actually Zillah if someone can give a reading of someone they have no knowledge of then it is stronger evidence of paranormal abiility then reading someone they know. For example am I wearing anything on any of my wrists, or ankles? What properties/contents/ colours/shapes is associated whith the thing or things. Who did I get it/them from (if any-there may be nothing)?

Credit cards don't go through the astral plane...

EDIT:
    Actually Zillah if someone can give a reading of someone they have no knowledge of then it is stronger evidence of paranormal abiility then reading someone they know.

Believe it or not but every question I ask isn't searching for facts. I was wondering about her opinion on it.

ISAW wrote:
    I really have a problem with these sort of phrases because 1 simple english can be used withoiut making up words. 2. When someone makes up words it is difficult to see what they mean. I mean if "astral" can be taken to mean "not physically in the same vicinity" then we could have "astral" transactions whenever we use a credit card or astral phone calls. surely it is better to just simple say "if you give me [insert favour here] for free then I will give you [insert favour] for free" ?

Mysteria was making a comment directly to Shortnose, so why have you a problem with the way she says something?

6th

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

This is a paranormal forum, not a semantics forum or even a pedantic nomenaclature forum.

ISAW, give it a rest.

Hey! I'm back & have been to the Tarot Card Reader. A lot of the things she did say to me were very general and could have applied to a lot of people (around my age - early 20s) but they did apply to me. Like being confused about going traveling or setting down roots. That type of thing.

For the more technical of you she got me to pick out 10 cards & she laid the first 6 out in a cross & put the last 4 in a line to the right of the cross.

She said she thought I had learnt all I had to learn in my current job & that I'll move on soon. She asked me had I plans to move. I said I didn't have any plans in the near future. She said she thought something was going to come about in 6-8 weeks.

She said coming up in my relationship area was a big relationship. She said it was with a friend or someone I already know. She asked if there was something going on with me and a friend. I said no. She said maybe a friend has feelings for me & I'm not picking up on them. I said I really didn't think so. She still looked further into this and kept majorly stressing that it was a friend or someone I know very well. She said it will happen in the next 6 months.

She said the fertility card came up. She said she thought there were issues with it. She said it didn't look like there would be problems with me having children but she thought maybe when I started trying to have one that I might not get pregnant straight away and get stressed about it. She said if I don't get pregnant straight away not to freak out about it.

I went with two other people - the first said that they thought she was crap and got nothing right about them. The second said they thought she was good & said some very relevant things.

Overall I enjoyed it - but I think I'll take what she said with a pinch of salt!

To be honest she doesnt sound great at all, she shouldnt have to ask questions at all, she should talk and you should just smile.

About the pregnant thing, its actually difficult for the majority of people to get pregnant. I know people get caught alot but it usually takes a couple of months of trying.

I got my fortune told in Blackpool last August, so far she's been right on everything... including telling me that things would change with work by the end of october .... 28th Oct - made redundant. She did tell me not to worry that i would never be poor and never have to struggle. She also talked about kids but stressed we can all bring about change in our own futures.

6th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

ISAW wrote:
    I mean if "astral" can be taken to mean "not physically in the same vicinity" then we could have "astral" transactions whenever we use a credit card or astral phone calls.

"Astral" means soul or essence
    (amoung other things of course, "Astral" also referres to stars and in biology star shaped organs)

The Astral Plane is supposed to be the plane of existance or medium (for want of a better word) where souls exist.

The idea with an Astral Exchange is that communication can take place in this medium easier than in normal reality, and that large distances is irrelvent.

Think of it as the difference between the speed and properties of sound in air and sound in water.

whiteybags wrote:
    Hey! I'm back & have been to the Tarot Card Reader. A lot of the things she did say to me were very general and could have applied to a lot of people (around my age - early 20s) but they did apply to me. Like being confused about going traveling or setting down roots. That type of thing.

Did you feel that those were more general comments, or did they really apply to you?
    whiteybags wrote:
    For the more technical of you she got me to pick out 10 cards & she laid the first 6 out in a cross & put the last 4 in a line to the right of the cross.

Celtic cross

http://www.byzant.com/tarot/spreadcelticcross.asp

A fairly common spread, from what I understand.
    whiteybags wrote:
    She said she thought I had learnt all I had to learn in my current job & that I'll move on soon. She asked me had I plans to move. I said I didn't have any plans in the near future. She said she thought something was going to come about in 6-8 weeks.

Has her comments made you think about moving any?
    whiteybags wrote:
    She said coming up in my relationship area was a big relationship. She said it was with a friend or someone I already know. She asked if there was something going on with me and a friend. I said no. She said maybe a friend has feelings for me & I'm not picking up on them. I said I really didn't think so. She still looked further into this and kept majorly stressing that it was a friend or someone I know very well. She said it will happen in the next 6 months.

Its entirely possible. I guess time will tell on this one.
    whiteybags wrote:
    She said the fertility card came up. She said she thought there were issues with it. She said it didn't look like there would be problems with me having children but she thought maybe when I started trying to have one that I might not get pregnant straight away and get stressed about it. She said if I don't get pregnant straight away not to freak out about it.

Do you have any wish to start a family soon? Or did she imply this was much more of a long term thing?
    whiteybags wrote:
    Overall I enjoyed it - but I think I'll take what she said with a pinch of salt!

Always the best way to do things.

My own oppinion, and one that I tell people when I do readings (I use the Futhark runes) is that the future isn't set in stone. Whatever is shown in the reading is a most likely outcome, given the current circumstances. If that outcome isn't favourable, you can take steps to change it, alter the present situation to lessen the chance of that outcome occuring.

Did you feel that those were more general comments, or did they really apply to you?

I think they would have fit to any of the three of us that went to see her. I think they would fit with any number of my close friends as well. Think it is just the age I am at anyway - thinking about traveling or building a career here for a while. A lot of people think about it after college.
    Has her comments made you think about moving any?

I have something I want to do in my current job before I can even think of moving. I don't see that happening in the next 6-8 weeks. And it is only after that has happened that I will begin looking for new jobs. I have thought about it recently though.

Its entirely possible. I guess time will tell on this one.

I don't see anything happening in the near future with that so I think you're right - only time will tell. Maybe I just am not seeing the signs and my eyes will be more open to it now.
    Do you have any wish to start a family soon? Or did she imply this was much more of a long term thing?

I don't want a family anytime soon. I had been thinking about when I would have a family though. Was looking a pictures of Britney Spears with her son yesterday & thought I wasn't ready at her age and won't be anytime soon. Was just worried I might end up being in my late 30's by time I get round to it & I don't want to leave it that late. The tarot card reader saying that stuff about fertility last night was relevant to me thinking about the situation yesterday afternoon.

Think you just take your own meaning from it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Remote/absent readings for tarot cards and for reiki and some psyshic readings are possible. ( imho :P ) Some people can manage them a lot of people can't.

Mediums to me would be some one who deal usually with contacting the dearly departed and any of the ones I have known usually require the person to be in the room with them; unless they have someone bugging them to pass on a message.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thaedydal wrote:
    Mediums to me would be some one who deal usually with contacting the dearly departed and any of the ones I have known usually require the person to be in the room with them; unless they have someone bugging them to pass on a message.
    This bugging thing has happened to me and any message tends to be strong and accurate when it happens. I dont always need someone with me, if I find myself seeing where they are or what they are wearing etc in my mind, I know I have a link and it will work. Just hasnt happened much lately as my energy is focused on family life a the moment.:)

KatieK wrote:
    .....hasnt happened much lately as my energy is focused on family life a the moment.:)

Nice to see you posting when you can KittyKat!
    I know what thats like, my little Ms is 18 months now and the time to meditate just doesnt offer itself at the moment. As my recent lighthearted attempt on here showed I have no ablity to do remote viewing or tell fortunes or whatever, i tend to get more from the passed than i do from the living! with the living all i usually get is a vibe, good, bad or whatever, i just tend to trust my gut.

So to keep on topic ... Good psychic Mediums .... I aint one for sure.

6th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

dublin6th wrote:
    So to keep on topic ... Good psychic Mediums .... I aint one for sure.

I'm sure the potential is there though, though it all needs time!

Advertisement