Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic Mushrooms have just been made Illegal in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭PTL

and most people dont think brainwashing exists :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some drugs have been successfully prohibited. Successful is that it is a very signficant deterent to its use, imo.
    You still havent named any. So introducing the death penalty for cannabis possession would be very successful. Hows about 20 years hard labour for smoking in a pub.

Now you answer my question please. If drink was to be recognised as a far more evil drug by the government, would ye shut up about which ever one ye're on about today?
    Simply recognised? then I would not shut up, it is the hypocrisy of the laws that upsets me not which particular drug is legal or not. The laws are not logical at all. If they recognised it as being the most "evil" drug known and kept it legal then I would be complaining even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

If you dissagree with liveline democracy call in, email or text your opinions:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

PTL wrote:
    We want the uneducated people in ireland just to realise what mushrooms are and then make an educated dission about wither they agree with the ban or appose it. Don't be close minded read some unbios irish websites about drug information not pro or anti drugs then post back.
    Right. Do you really think I haven't read unbiased, biased, objective, subjective, medicinal, psycho-analytical, statistical and personal views on drug use and liberalisation? :rolleyes:
    Rubadub wrote:
    You still havent named any.
    Yes I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

The government should ban ALL sorts of mushrooms COMPLETELY.
    Another senseless mushroom related death, Joe...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Morrigan wrote:
    The government should ban ALL sorts of mushrooms COMPLETELY.
    Another senseless mushroom related death, Joe...

You should get my IP addres and notify the authorities - I'm about to order mushrooms on my pizza.

Some drugs have been successfully prohibited. Successful is that it is a very signficant deterent to its use, imo. Observe the phenomenal growth in opium production in Afghanistan when the Taliban (and hence "regular" law and order and thus authority) was kicked out by the Americans.

Source : http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/6210.pdf

Although the Taliban reportedly banned opium poppy cultivation in late 1997, opium production in Afghanistan may have increased through the year 2000, accounting for 72% of the world's illicit opium supply, according to U.S. government sources.

On July 27, 2000, the Taliban again issued a decree banning opium poppy cultivation. The announcement of the ban caused prices to rise from $30 per kilogram to $500 per kilogram.

The U.S. State Department noted in 2001 that "Neither the Taliban nor the Northern Alliance has taken any significant action to seize stored opium, precursor chemicals or arrest and prosecute narcotics traffickers. On the contrary, authorities were said to continue to tax the opium poppy crop at about ten percent, and allow it to be sold in open bazaars, traded and transported."

Some members of the U.S. drug enforcement community suggest that a new strategy may have been adopted by the Taliban in the wake of their July 27, 2000 announced ban on cultivation. This strategy would reflect a desire by the Taliban to use their “monopoly” position to maximize profits, i.e. restrict supply by restricting cultivation; drive prices up dramatically; and sell from an extensive supply of stockpiled opium. According to the United Nations Drug Control Program (UNDCP) personnel, in the past, up to 60% of
    opium stock has been stored for sale in future years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭psilocybe

There is lots of information about the ban here
    http://www.drugs-forum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15365

I hear the law may be published today, anybody have any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

I did mushrooms and comprehended the nature of existance and the meaning of life. Good craic. =D

I guess finding a dealer and getting together money for a trip, and risking getting bad mushrooms will make the payoff all the greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes I did.
    You mentioned opium.
    Some drugs have been successfully prohibited. Successful is that it is a very signficant deterent to its use, imo. Observe the phenomenal growth in opium production in Afghanistan when the Taliban (and hence "regular" law and order and thus authority) was kicked out by the Americans.

So it was grown there, and continues to be grown there. So that is your definition of "successful prohibition", fair enough if thats what you think, I have yet to hear of a drug that is successfully prohibited in my mind.

• Advertisement

I got quite a large amount of mushrooms from a shop in the city centre today. My mate just picked them up.

I'm going to go around the world in my chair tonight and not hop out a window.

No way? really? I presumed they'd be all off the shelves by now... Didn't the law come into effect on Tuesday? You're not saying that...god forbid...the law was ... broken :eek:
    Or are you lying to us, Ag marbh? Can't trust a user with a username that I don't get... (j/k... I don't trust any of ye)

Morrigan wrote:
    No way? really? I presumed they'd be all off the shelves by now... Didn't the law come into effect on Tuesday? You're not saying that...god forbid...the law was ... broken :eek:
    Or are you lying to us, Ag marbh? Can't trust a user with a username that I don't get... (j/k... I don't trust any of ye)

Regular buyer's in the shop so I assume he isn't just selling them to anyone. He has alot of stock left and noone is going to be banging on his door enforcing it right away so yeah we got quite alot.

Ps - Ag marbh = Dead in Gaeilge :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭psilocybe

Yes I was in a shop yesterday that still had a price list on the counter, I presumed they just had not yet taken it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭PTL

Right. Do you really think I haven't read unbiased, biased, objective, subjective, medicinal, psycho-analytical, statistical and personal views on drug use and liberalisation?

Basically no :) Or at least not with an open unbios mind cause if you had read some information on mushrooms and not just anti-drug dribble then i know you wouldnt be thinking that alcohol isnt a drug and think that mushrooms are worse then alcohol.

Alcohol is great , i love it , its one of my most favourite drugs, its a drug i do at least once a week ... and even tho i had an ENDLESS supply of FREE mushrooms id only do them once a month or once every 2-3 months because there just so intence that it takes at least a month to fully appriciate what just happened :) If i had an endless supply of free drink id probably have a few a day and become addicted

Ag marbh wrote:
    Regular buyer's in the shop so I assume he isn't just selling them to anyone. He has alot of stock left and noone is going to be banging on his door enforcing it right away so yeah we got quite alot.

Ps - Ag marbh = Dead in Gaeilge :)

I was planning on getting some this weekend... maybe I still can... or do I have to be known to the dealer, I mean retailer...?
    Gah this sucks...

Morrigan wrote:
    I was planning on getting some this weekend... maybe I still can... or do I have to be known to the dealer, I mean retailer...?
    Gah this sucks...

It's worth a shot going in to try because i'm sure alot of places have a good few left

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

In fairness the government was going to do this as popular opinion would have demanded it. Now instead of people reading how drugs are readily available in head shops around the country and why isn't something being done about it they're reading about how its been nipped in the bud (no pun intended!). PR 101 really, won't somebody think of the children.

I don't blame the government, they do have an obligation to protect people from those who may be *ahem* amoral about selling mind altering substances.

What used to be a legal activity for people who had educated themselves enough to know what mushrooms to pick and ingest and what to leave in the ground is now illegal. People take them for recreational purposes but also for spirtual and meditative purposes - I personally know somebody who takes small doses to cure colds and sorethroats (I'm not going to argue whether they work in that manner or not).

I blame the head shops. They took a free resource and a legal, although somewhat borderline, activity and turned a profit from it. Now its illegal and a criminal act to go up the mountains and pick some come the autumn time.

http://deoxy.org/mckenna.htm & http://deoxy.org/ are worth a look if you want to find out about more than just getting off your head.

One final point: While I'm sure some people did sell magic mushrooms in days of yore before we had head shops in this country most people just picked them themselves or got them from friends. They didn't go to drug dealers nor or they going to start going to them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 radio

harney is just trying to squeeze some much need support out of the people for the elections whenever they happen. The PDs will be desperate enough for the votes, so they are pandering to whatever requests are made to them that they thinkn joe public would go for.

radio wrote:
    harney is just trying to squeeze some much need support out of the people for the elections whenever they happen. The PDs will be desperate enough for the votes, so they are pandering to whatever requests are made to them that they thinkn joe public would go for.

The truth is joe public will go for it, the majority of people in this country will agree with it - and she is representing that majority.

• Advertisement

they will go for it because others for their own ends are scaremongering - not because its for the good of the people.

It doesn't matter why the agree with it, Ms Harney has an obligation to represent them. The head shops turned a wonderful, free gift from nature into a commodity and made a profit. Now it's banned, blame them.
    they will go for it because others for their own ends are scaremongering
    One question though, what are those ends?

to get re-elected. as in the PDs. the headshops didnt destroy anything .. mary harney did. she should be doing more about her overspending or educating people on alcohol abuse rather than banning something a tiny number of people use. but they wouldnt win votes battling alcohol within ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Ag marbh wrote:
    You are someone who obviously hasn't done mushrooms. All of the time's I have consumed mushrooms I wouldn't have needed anyone to sit with me. It's a very rare case that someone gets the urge to jump out a window. Infact I think most people would be too paranoid or deep in thought to go for a piss.

True I haven't but i had to "mind" friends who were on them. None have freaked out but they all know people who have. (My friends began seeing faces staring from the walls.....Does this often happen?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Sico wrote:
    Do you assume that everyone who indulges in magic mushrooms takes them to excess? You don't believe that illegal drugs can also be taken in moderation? That would be quite the naive assumption, and quite typical of the ill-informed 'anti-hallucinogen' brigade.

I'm not anti-hallucinogen (I was planning to try them). I just get fed up with people who say things like "I can take cigarettes/cocaine in moderation". I also can't believe all the whinging. They were illegal it was a fun loophole. Its gone. Get over it

(My friends began seeing faces staring from the walls.....Does this often happen?)

All the time. Some people think of them as nature spirits who are there all them time just outside our normal perception, or so I hear *cough* :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

They were illegal it was a fun loophole. Its gone. Get over it
    :rolleyes:
    You're kinda missing the point of why were/are they illegal at all?
    Because Mammy says so?
    And while we're under her roof we'll follow her rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Evil Phil wrote:
    I blame the head shops. They took a free resource and a legal, although somewhat borderline, activity and turned a profit from it.
    I'd agree with that actually.

As I've said before, picking them is half the fun anyway (walking into a shop and handing over cash doesn't compare to the joy of finding them and the obvious connection with nature in going out searching in a field).

We'll see come Autum just how much they inforce this law upon wild-pickers. Hopefully not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Morrigan wrote:
    Source : http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/6210.pdf

Although the Taliban reportedly banned opium poppy cultivation in late 1997, opium production in Afghanistan may have increased through the year 2000, accounting for 72% of the world's illicit opium supply, according to U.S. government sources. ....
    But what actually happened was, in the year 2000, the Taliban decided it was financially more prudent to continue to sell; so essentially they stopped the prohibition.

This is because, after reducing the amount of opium from ~5,000 tonnes annually to less than 100, the US only gave them ~$50m per year. (Taxing 5,000 tonnes at 10% yields you far more than $50m, in case you're wondering.)

The point is that they cracked down on production (prohibited its production, and the amount leaving the country fell by about 98% (5000:100 = 2%).

It was successfully prohibited. There were some cracks, but 2% of what is was is a successful prohibition in my books. That's a better compliance-rate than the smoking ban.

And to address the post regarding alcohol/tobacco; it's already been accepted that it just would not work to prohibit their consumption in this country and also that they're very damaging.

It's not contradictory to learn a lesson.

AB.

• Advertisement

And to address the post regarding alcohol/tobacco; it's already been accepted that it just would not work to prohibit their consumption in this country and also that they're very damaging.

It's not contradictory to learn a lesson.

AB.

I dont accept that it "just would not work to prohibit their consumption". There is no will to prohibit them, mainly because a lot of politicians either drink of smoke. if they took mushies, then mary wouldnt have banned them.

Advertisement