Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic Mushrooms have just been made Illegal in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

nosmo wrote:
    Quick question, how does the tainiste make this illegal? with "immediate effect"?
    She simply creates a ministerial order banning the sale / supply / whatever of the particular species and puts an operative date of today on it. When its voted on in the Dáil (straight yes / no vote, no argument), it becomes retrospectively operative from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

jtsuited wrote:
    2.the 'they grow naturally' reasoning doesn't stand up as so does heroin.
    Heroin doesn't grow naturally, poppys do. Last time I walked down Pearse St. I didn't see a bunch of smak-heads scouring the parks for poppys.
    jtsuited wrote:
    3. The actual neurological, psychological and physiological effects are still not very well researched, and hence the governmnent cannot reasonably permit the sale of said substances.
    Believe it or not, the same can be said of tobacco. Cite me one long-term clinical trial on the long-term effects of smoking.
    jtsuited wrote:
    On a personal level, i think this is a long time coming.
    I have on many times taking mushrooms and i was fine with them. However i have seen some pretty horrendous things caused by them to people close to me.
    And they were A1 before take-off were they? Do yourself a favour and walk about Dublin city centre about 3am on a Saturday night if you want to see some horrendous things.
    jtsuited wrote:
    I'm no fan of mrs. harney myself. the idea of a minister for health who is morbidly obese is pretty laughable!
    Laughable in the same way that someone in a wheelchair would be Minister for the Disability?
    jtsuited wrote:
    If the state could research, then make a decision, then strictly regulate the sale etc. then we'd be going somewhere.
    Yes folks, it truely is the age of Health and Safety. We can only do something to ourselves if the state deems it permissable. And by regulate the sale, you basically mean 'tax'.
    jtsuited wrote:
    But in fairness, you cannot expect the government to allow the sale and distribution of magic mushrooms.
    But we can expect them to allow the sale of alcholol and tobacco, both of course, well known to have no serious long term effects!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I think Bill Hicks said it best:

"If you think you can fly try fcuking taking off from the ground first."

I never really had a lot of fun on mushrooms but I think it is a bit crazy that they get banned after one person dies after taking them.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

you get drugs in a Chemist you dont get narcotics. Beer is a drug not a narcotic.

stop your semantic nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Maskhadov wrote:
    you get drugs in a Chemist you dont get narcotics. Beer is a drug not a narcotic.

They both chemically alter you. One just seems to be socially accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭PTL

Maybe they should tackle the drug addiction to anti-depressents in ireland especially in mid/elderly women for some reason. I remember reading about it and cant remember the figures but it was SHOCKING!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

MrPudding wrote:
    I think Bill Hicks said it best:

"If you think you can fly try fcuking taking off from the ground first."

Lol, was just about to post that. "Duck's don't try to fly by jumping off buildings.."

Tbh, the government's just being a tool. That's my incredibly well educated, witty input on this.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

FX Meister wrote:
    Jeez, what a pack of morons posting here. Alcohol and tobaco make millions for the government. The sale of mushies doesn't earn them that much. As for the spas who say they grow wild, no, they don't. And if you don't know this then you should take some and fly off a balcony. As for saying that it will push them into the hands of drug dealers, complete bollocks again. No dealer is going to waste his time with a drug like this. LSD isn't even easily available anymore.

Take a trip to the wicklow mountains, they grow everywhere. they are called Liberty Caps.

This is just another example of the sh*tty country we live in, Alcohol and Nicotine does more damage than mushrooms ever will yet they are a good taxable income for the governent so they can't be banned. Sense prevails with our government yet again!

PTL wrote:
    Maybe they should tackle the drug addiction to anti-depressents in ireland especially in mid/elderly women for some reason. I remember reading about it and cant remember the figures but it was SHOCKING!

I don't think addiction is the right word concerning SSRI'S(anti-depressants) it's more so the relapse in depression and the withdrawal while coming off them. I find it disgraceful that any government still allows the sale of seroxat. A brief search on google will bring up numerous petitions and horror stories. Having been on Seroxat before I can tell you it is not a pleasant thing at all!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what body is actually in charge of banning toxic substances etc in this country?

well you seem to know alot more then i do on anti-depressants but isnt what you just discribed an addiction ... your not addicted but when your coming off them and dont have them you need them :)

God id love to tap into the Dail Eireann water supply and pump it full of mushies :) they would have a great time ... and the next day they wouldnt have an urge for more :) it would be business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Based on the fact that if only about 40% of the electorate turn up to vote, if you persuded every non-voting 18-35 to vote for a single party then that party would get into government.

You know what? If someone came up with a "legalise-cannabis" party, put a candidate in every constituancy, I'd reckon that party would have a very good chance of getting into government!

Yes I know about Ming-the-Merciless, don't make me laugh.
    Even if everyone in the country voted they would still only get a choice between the civil war parties to make as the majority government partners. If there was a legalise cannabis party that looked like it might threaten the government they woould all be arrested and charged with drugs offences. Fianna Fail and Fine Gael would sooner go into coalition with themselves than concede any real ground to a new radical reformist party, and even if we did elect a revolutionary party, it's the civil servants who run the country anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

what body is actually in charge of banning toxic substances etc in this country?
    I understand its done by ministerial order, based on recommendations from the various Department of Health agencies

PTL wrote:
    well you seem to know alot more then i do on anti-depressants but isnt what you just discribed an addiction ... your not addicted but when your coming off them and dont have them you need them :)

God id love to tap into the Dail Eireann water supply and pump it full of mushies :) they would have a great time ... and the next day they wouldnt have an urge for more :) it would be business as usual.

I know what you're saying and my explanation sounded very like addiction but it's a bit different !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It only seemed like a matter of time to me that this loophole was closed - and let's face it, it was an inconsistent loophole. They couldn't legalise them (because then it would "you've done this, why not x,y,z") so they brought them in line with other controlled substances.

Hardly surprising, really.

BuffyBot wrote:
    Hardly surprising, really.

Not suprising, just retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ag marbh wrote:
    I don't think addiction is the right word concerning SSRI'S(anti-depressants) it's more so the relapse in depression and the withdrawal while coming off them. I find it disgraceful that any government still allows the sale of seroxat. A brief search on google will bring up numerous petitions and horror stories. Having been on Seroxat before I can tell you it is not a pleasant thing at all!!
    Totally OT I know, but Seroxat and other SSRI's have helped countless numbers of people.

What hasn't helped though was GP's handing them out like Smarties in the 90's, the same way they did to women with tranquilisors in the 70's and quaaludes in the 60's.

There was a complete failure by the pharma industry to educate GP's into informing their patients about the side-effects of coming on and off SSRIs like Seroxat, and to evaluate whether their patients were 'process-addicts' or not before prescribing.

Totally OT I know, but Seroxat and other SSRI's have helped countless numbers of people.

What hasn't helped though was GP's handing them out like Smarties in the 90's, the same way they did to women with tranquilisors in the 70's and quaaludes in the 60's.

There was a complete failure by the pharma industry to educate GP's into informing their patients about the side-effects of coming on and off SSRIs like Seroxat, and to evaluate whether their patients were 'process-addicts' or not before prescribing.

I have used Cipramil too and I found that to be alot better. I personally know a number of people prescribed seroxat and all of the stories are the same(negative). I don't think they should remove SSRI's but feel really strongly about the removal of seroxat from the MIMS book!

GP's are too handy to prescribe SSRI's without recommending excercise and some other alternative but it's not just in the 90's because they're still doing it to this very day!(The housewives strung out on valium during the 60-70's is kind of funny though)

Thankfully i'm finished with them and would only take a benzo when needed but that's very rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

jtsuited wrote:
    1.none of you seem to have any idea of the long term psychological effects of psylocibin and other psychoactive substances found in hallucinogenic mushrooms and cacti etc.

2.the 'they grow naturally' reasoning doesn't stand up as so does heroin.

3. The actual neurological, psychological and physiological effects are still not very well researched, and hence the governmnent cannot reasonably permit the sale of said substances.

On a personal level, i think this is a long time coming.
    I have on many times taking mushrooms and i was fine with them. However i have seen some pretty horrendous things caused by them to people close to me.
    I'm no fan of mrs. harney myself. the idea of a minister for health who is morbidly obese is pretty laughable!
    If the state could research, then make a decision, then strictly regulate the sale etc. then we'd be going somewhere.

But in fairness, you cannot expect the government to allow the sale and distribution of magic mushrooms.
    yes i do know the psychological affects that "psychoactive" substances have on you, and i must say i think i am a better person for taking mushrooms, professor albert hoffman (the inventor of lsd) tried to use LSD to treat forms of depression including alcoholism, because LSD has the effect of making you face your "inner demons" and hoffmans aim was to make people look at how they were damaging themselves. the result was a 100% success rate with all tested patients. and they also found that people who experienced the treatment didn't end up focusing on how they were damaging themselves, but actually on how they were damaging others around them, their family and friends.

ive found taking mushrooms made me face those same demons, i have come out of it with new perspective on life and myself.....
    jtsuited wrote:
    And it's quite obvious that when people with the intellectual maturity of catsmokinpot are involved in the debate, the pro-drugs side of the debate is never really going to be taken seriously!
    thanks! ill take that as a compliment;) i have used the nick catsmokinpot, since i was 15 for games on a lan with my mates and im not about to change it as it reminds me of old times, im now 23. now i know there's alot of people out there who will look at this name and my point of view and automatically go stupid stoner.

im sick of it, and im not allowed to be? i get called immature because i am sick of the situation this countries legal and judicial system is in? i could go to the bother, and point out every little malfunction of the legal system in this country about rapists, murderers and other types getting out after a couple of years

and a bloody drug dealer, who is only doing something illegal because we made it illegal, has to serve a full term

i could point out the holes in our tax system, where we get taxed more than any other country in europe for drink and cigarettes; and we get to die from consuming them! YAY! so in effect the government is making money from taking our lives.

road tax for instance. the new tolling system being put in place in dublin, costing tax payers money to install. so basically, we are paying the government money, for them to make machines, to take more money off of us?

i can point out holes in our insurance system the house pricing in this country....

i can point my finger once again to mary harney and say where the hell is that €56 million in taxpayers money from our health budget?

the corruption of the gardai that i have witnessed with my own eyes

i could go on about all of it with this big long intellectual schpiel putting mildly how shít the state of our country is..... and then sit there while nothing gets done about it

and because i don't, i lack "intellectual maturity"

no im just sick of putting my ideas fourth in mild mannered terms

and im not pro-drugs, im pro-sence and pro-logic and anti-hipocracy
    facts:
    even if you make a drug illegal..... people are going to keep taking drugs.....
    by making drugs illegal..... your giving money to drug dealers.... which i don't particularly like doing
    by making drugs illegal..... your costing taxpayers (money trying to catch drug dealers for giving people something they want)
    by making drugs illegal.... you are making them more dangerous, no education on them, they are not being produced in sterile environments, there is no measure of quality.

and what i said about democracy before i stand by it sucks donkey balls but to be intellectually mature.... i have to stand there with my irish independent metro edition with a monocle in my eye and say... i say old chappy this democracy sure does need a bit of fine tuning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

:(

Sickening, just sickening.
    Also that they banned mushrooms for one death, when how many people have fallen off buildings and cliff's from drink. Remeber just last year a few lad's in a jeep rolled off the cliffs in clair after drinking?

As someone said keepin us in the dark and feedin us sh→ite.

Ajnag wrote:
    :(

Sickening, just sickening.
    Also that they banned mushrooms for one death, when how many people have fallen off buildings and cliff's from drink. Remeber just last year a few lad's in a jeep rolled off the cliffs in clair after drinking?

As someone said keepin us in the dark and feedin us sh→ite.

They should ban jeeps and rocks eroded by the sea really.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Maskhadov wrote:
    Beer is a drug not a narcotic.

From dictionary.com [edited]

nar·cot·ic
    n.

1. An addictive drug, that reduces pain, alters mood and behavior, and usually induces sleep or stupor.
    2. A soothing, numbing agent or thing

Sounds like beer to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Sico wrote:
    From dictionary.com [edited]

nar·cot·ic
    n.

1. An addictive drug, that reduces pain, alters mood and behavior, and usually induces sleep or stupor.
    2. A soothing, numbing agent or thing

Sounds like beer to me.

Technically (and legally) beer isn't a narcotic. But then a lot of things that people would call a narcotic aren't actually narcotics. These days narcotic has come to just mean "drug"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcotic

Ah it's all the same the keyphrase is chemical alteration.

Imagine cannibis was legal and alcohol was illegal all around the world .... then imagine buying beer and vodka and all that from a dealer ... taking it... getting aggressive or sluring speach , pissing yourself, not realising you cant drive, almost a rohipnol(cant spell it) effect if too much and taking too much of this banned substance (which people would call a narcotic if it was illegal since time began) could kill you! also its very addictive, people who are on it can loose there wife and children and jobs and become homeless and if drank every day WILL kill you not might! And this banned substance would cost the tax payers millions every year in the hospitals.

God what a horrible drug its almost like heroin isnt it!

PTL wrote:
    Imagine cannibis was legal and alcohol was illegal all around the world .... then imagine buying beer and vodka and all that from a dealer ... taking it... getting aggressive or sluring speach , pissing yourself, not realising you cant drive, almost a rohipnol(cant spell it) effect if too much and taking too much of this banned substance (narcotic it would be) could kill you! also its very addictive, people who are on it can loose there wife and children and jobs and become homeless and if drank every day WILL kill you not might! And this narcotic would cost the tax payers millions every year in the hospitals.

God what a horrible drug its almost like heroin isnt it!

Yeah imagine that. Shoulders of clear fluid with Mitsubitshi stickers on them and the likes...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Akrasia wrote:
    In the last half hour, Nature has been criminalised on the emerald Isle, the Nanny state has decreed that they are too dangerous for us idiot citizens, perhaps we should all go out and play hurling or go mountaineering or go for a nice healthy walk even though those wholesome activities have killed and injured more people than magic mushrooms ever have.

This is because some respectable young lad tossed himself out of his apartment and died. It is a drug whose users need careful supervision and they cannot provide that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

This is because some respectable young lad tossed himself out of his apartment and died. It is a drug whose users need careful supervision and they cannot provide that.

So criminalizing the drug is going to prevent people taking it, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ezone

Ag marbh wrote:
    Yeah imagine that. Shoulders of clear fluid with Mitsubitshi stickers on them and the likes...

Think they tried that once in a place called america, think they called it prohibition.

Advertisement