Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst bestselling author ever...

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Actually I said 'the evil within'. It's one thing to be smart, but quite another to misquote or take out of context and then be smart.

If you find him to be the epitome of good writing, whatever rocks your boat. Frankly I have read better Ann and Barrys now you mention it. Certainly they are more thrilling with more innovative plotlines and better twists. I appreciate that many may like King, I suspect a lot less have your confidence that he is a writer of such merit as to enable you have contempt for those who dare criticise. When Thinner is the recommended reading in English Lit at Oxford or Harvard, by all means get back to me.

ok the difference between 'evil' and 'the evil within' is that one is just general evil and the other being found in the main character(s) and this naturally makes your original post so much different.

Now while i'm not a huge King fan, i never said i was i merely pointed out that you stated all his books were about little green men, i disargeed with this and spanked your little ass, i really don't like people talking ****. I have contempt for them and dare to criticise people who whimper on about things they really don't know all the facts about and then make rash generalisations (Sun readers and the ilk)

i feel rather amused taking such a pro-king stance but to say he is one dimensional and claiming there to be a huge difference between the evil within and your everday run of the mill evil is just comical and really weak.

Now off you toddle to those Ann and Barry books seen as you find them to your liking based on your arguments i doubt there was any sarcasm in the quoted post.

Have a joy-joy day, and remember to enhance your calm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

Frilly silliness. I just can't see why she is so critically acclaimed. Her characters are so nauseating and simpering and her plots so tedious. I'll never have those hours back I spent reading "Mansfield Park.

Give me Stephen King anyday. Usually not great but at least his stuff doesn't pretend to be intelligent serious literature so you know what you're getting. I like the quirkiness of his characters like that auld one from Misery.

lordgoat wrote:
    i disargeed with this and spanked your little ass
    lordgoat wrote:
    i really don't like people talking ****. I have contempt for them
    lordgoat wrote:
    (Sun readers and the ilk)

:D

I sense great anger. Mr. King himself did write about lonely people raging aginst 'the nastyf**kers' - can't remember the book, I was only about 11 or 12 at the time though, and coming to the end of my 'King is Great' phase. I note from your profile that you're a child of the 80s. Believe me, you'll grow out of King and the whole Dark Towers thing too - there are no such things as vampires and orcs I'm afraid...

Hence I liked the last line so much...
    lordgoat wrote:
    Have a joy-joy day, and remember to enhance your calm...

:D

JaneHudson wrote:
    Frilly silliness. I just can't see why she is so critically acclaimed. Her characters are so nauseating and simpering and her plots so tedious. I'll never have those hours back I spent reading "Mansfield Park.

Pretty stodgy stuff alright. Had to wade through Emma (ahem) for the Leaving Cert, never again.

Advertisement