Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst bestselling author ever...

Options
  • 23-01-2006 12:50pm

...Jeffrey Archer?

Now, I am willing to concede that Cain and Abel and his earlier stuff may have been good. But the only book I ever read was his 'A Twist in the Tale' and it was just truly terrible. Is all his stuff so weak and derivative?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

Dan Brown - is there any contest?

Well...yes, probably. But in my mind I actually have Dan Brown filed under "Dan Brown: Worst Bestselling Author Ever." So I was quite surprised when I saw the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

Yes I agree with the OP (based on reading just one of his books but it was more than enough.) People like Tom Clancy and Freddie Forsyth (the Odessa File, one of his earlier books, is actually quite good) have written good thrillers and poor derivative ones - but in terms of all round crapness they can't touch Archer even at their worst.

John Grisham is an example of someone who sells in large quantities but is also a fairly good writer (although his obsession with the legal profession and writing about lawyers gets a tad boring). He's like the modern equivalent of Chandler.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Marian Keyes?
    Cecillia Ahern?
    Jilly Cooper?
    Danielle Steele?
    Catherine Cookson?

There are literally hundreds of useless authors who've written best-sellers. Or if we're simply talking about most 'over-rated', Dan Brown or Stephen King would have to take that title, I don't think anyone actually rates the chick-lit writers as having any talent...

I'm surprised Dan Brown can spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Archer wins (or loses) by a country mile IMHO. I've read Dan Brown, and while I wouldn't dream of saying he'll be giving John Banville sleepless nights any time soon, his work does the job of 'popular' fiction - i.e. keeping doofuses like me quiet on long journeys and the like. I've finished his books and, while able to pick holes etc, not found myself completely lamenting the loss off a few hours of my life that i'll not have back.

Archer, on the other hand, grates on me something terrible. It's his insistance on bringing his Tory 'values' into everything that grate on me. If memory serves, the twist on 'Not a Penny More...' was one that pleasantly surprised me at the time, but then again, I was 11...

tbh, i can see this thread getting silly, 'cos to be honest, one could make the point that the worlds of 'literature' and 'bestselling author' rarely collide....and people who pick up some airport pot-boiler shouldn't *really* give out too much about two dimensional characterisation, flimsy plotlines and cliches...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Dan Brown is the undisputed champion here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

shroomfox wrote:
    I'm surprised Dan Brown can spell.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jay Tomio

I have to agree here. Dan Browin is an abomination.

That's a trap, and I'm not gonna fall for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

For someone who's read John Grisham's "The Partner" there is no option here.

Now, I enjoy Tom Clancy books, and zipped through a couple of Dan Browns, and sure, neither of them are ever gonna be compared favourably to shakespear .... but The Partner is about the worst book I have ever read, (for some reason I read it right on through to the end). Imagine The Da Vinci Code, except it's done even worse, and it's about lawyers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Harold Robbins?

Posted this elsewhere and Clive Cussler and Stephen King polling very well too...

I know it was ghost written, but David Beckham's biography used a very stupid ghost.

It was the only book in the house, right?

Cactus Col wrote:
    For someone who's read John Grisham's "The Partner" there is no option here.

Now, I enjoy Tom Clancy books, and zipped through a couple of Dan Browns, and sure, neither of them are ever gonna be compared favourably to shakespear .... but The Partner is about the worst book I have ever read, (for some reason I read it right on through to the end). Imagine The Da Vinci Code, except it's done even worse, and it's about lawyers.
    I'll see your 'Partner' and raise you 'The Chamber'...it's a story about a fella on death row, and this young lawyer is doing his best to stop him from getting the gas chamber, and he fails and....

GAH....

*puts foot thru monitor* :mad:

it's a story about a fella on death row, and this young lawyer is doing his best to stop him from getting the gas chamber, and he fails and....
    GAH....
    *puts foot thru monitor* :mad:

:D

Now THAT'S how critics should review books...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

Really though...

Cathy Kelly and the like.

I always hated ordering them in when I worked in a bookshop. The most depressing thing is how well all the **** literature sells.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dave3x

Okay, so 'The Chamber' wasn't amazing (and I remember being rather dissapointed that such an acclaimed author was only 'alright' to my mind), but surely there are worse? As stand-alone pieces, Grisham's books are half-decent. It's just that they're all extremely similar, that's all...and not particularly brilliant in the first place....

Cathy Kelly? And Literature? In the same post?

*has gone blind*
    *has become insane*
    *has gone even more blind again*

And you gave her four stars?

*has gone deaf*
    *falls over*

Dan Brown can't spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

And obviously you could all go off and write a better book than any of these authors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

In response to the above, I have time on my hands and a large catalogue of bad books!

Jeffery (not Geoffrey) Archer books older more than 20 years old are very good, anything newer is a shambles, much like the man himself.

John Grisham's early books were great, Firm, Client, Rainmaker, Runaway Jury are 4 off the top of my head that I really enjoyed. pity about the films. His new books are brutal, I read the Summons and King of Torts and they were both pretty useless.

I've read dozens of Clive Cusslers, and to borrow an argument from those detestable Dan-Brown-is-ok-ophiles, they are emminantly readable trash fiction but unlike Dan Brown, they're well written, silly overblown plots and characters nothwithstanding. Anything co-written with somebody else (e.g. Craig Dirgo, Paul Kemprecos, his son Dirk Cussler) are to be avoided.

Stephen King isn't my cup of tea, I think his writing is pretty pants in a lot of places, but he has some top notch stories (the Shining, Dark Tower etc. etc.)

Tom Clancy is another brutal writer, hate all his books EXCEPT I love Rainbow 6 for no reason I can justify other than sometimes you need some testosterone overdosed special forces kicking ass and chewing bubble gum for no good plot reason except that it's cool. phew.

Joesph Heller wrote one of the best books I've ever read (Cacth 22 obviously), and the only book I just can't finish (something happened).

Saving the worst for last, Dan Brown is a simply rubbish writer whose gimmicky DaVinci Code somehow caught a wave a precisely the right moment to make him a household name and a millionaire several times over. Kudos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

I would agree with a lot of what the Czar has to say.

Archer had two decent books in him "Not a Penny more..." and "Kane and Abel" the concept of which he repeated ad naseum.

Grisham's books were fresh when they first came out and the 4 Czar has mentioned were very enjoyable. He's tried some different stuff that hasn't worked out, but he's hardly the worst out there.

Clancy popularised the techno-thriller, but his later work is too coloured by his extreme right-wing views and he's also fallen into the trap of repeating himself.

Dan Brown....I think enough has already been said, so I won't say anything more.

I'm surprised no-ones proposed Jack Higgins - would he be regarded as best selling? One good book (based on fact) spawining 30 years of cliched, derivative crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

And obviously you could all go off and write a better book than any of these authors

Not necessarily but I know any novel I write will be **** so I don't inflict it on the public! (I'm sure I could write some drivel like Dan Brown but why waste my efforts on it?)

eluhrs wrote:
    I'm surprised no-ones proposed Jack Higgins

oooh - good point. I read The Eagle Has Landed and thought it was absolutely brilliant. I was 12...now, to be honest, the book still stands as one of those works of 'faction' and it's most enjoyable for it. Nearly all of it is pretty plausable.

You can, however, imagine my surprise when during my 'Oh-my-god-I-must-read-every-Jack-Higgins-book-ever', I picked up a book called Solo, from the local library and found that it contained entire paragraphs lifted straight from '..Eagle..'. If memory serves, something about an Irish hitman and a gun with a funny shaped barrell...
    John2 wrote:
    Not necessarily but I know any novel I write will be **** so I don't inflict it on the public! (I'm sure I could write some drivel like Dan Brown but why waste my efforts on it?)

If I thought I'd get the money he got, I'd happily write any auld sh*te. And toast the health of the 'critics' on boards.ie from my spot in the bahamas..

In the case of Jeffrey Archer, without even using my hands...

Yup. I'm serious. And this isn't down to any brilliant writing ability on my part.

It's a bit like saying that I could be more honest than Nixon.
    Or less of a hero than Nelson Mandela.
    Or more violent than Gandhi.

Come on! Challenge me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭shellspeare

Jeffrey Archer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I don't think Grisham's newer books are worse than his older one's - i think they're fairly much the same. Same plot, same characters etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

i thought "a painted house" was the best thing grisham wrote. not a lawyer in sight either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Black hole sun

theCzar wrote:

Stephen King isn't my cup of tea, I think his writing is pretty pants in a lot of places, but he has some top notch stories (the Shining, Dark Tower etc. etc.)

True, everything from ten years ago on are ****. But the stand and IT are excellent. Short stories are good as well except for a fixation with laundries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

True, everything from ten years ago on are ****. But the stand and IT are excellent. Short stories are good as well except for a fixation with laundries.

I thought the Dark Tower was excellent right up to the end. The one he did with Peter Straub a few years ago was really good too.

Advertisement