Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught speeding in NI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Northern drivers are bad, Southern Drivers are worse. Irish roads are a joke....... blah, blah, blah. I know all this already. All I want to know is what sort of a fine I'am going to be looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

MrPudding wrote:
    Apologises for that, I am just getting a little tired of it.
    Accepted and offered :) I hate to see what can be quite interesting and valid threads degenerate into PC-ness.
    Fine. It seems to be a bit one sided though. And I have to admit, after a large number of years driving in the north I find it a bit rich for southern drivers to slag off my friends in the north.
    I think the point I and others are making is that there are bad drivers on both sides of the border. Someone suggested better integration between the two police forces. That and actual enforcement here, in conjunction with better education, is the way forward I think.
    "I'm not racist but.........
    See above
    No you can't but at least you have the decency to admit you have no personal experience. My experience is limited to driving home but my experiences of southern driver north of the border is shocking. Actually, quite similar to my experiences of souther drivers south of the border! :eek: Go figure.
    I guess the moral is it's dangerous out there no matter what side of the border you're on!
    I am sorry but if someone tells me it is proven I am actually interested in the proof. He did not say "everyone knows" or "I reckon" he said "it is proven." If that is the case I think it is reasonable to ask to see that proof. Do you not agree? If you were in court and the prosecution said "It is proven that Kaiser2000 is guilty of being a tosser."* Do you not think you would be entitled to see the evidence of your alledged tosser status?
    Valid point.. I guess I just interpreted, "it is proven" to mean exactly what you suggested the alternative wording could've been.
    * I do not think Kaiser is a tosser, in fact I actually think he / she is pretty cool.
    Cheers! :) I have to say I generally agree with a lot of what you post too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

starn wrote:
    Northern drivers are bad, Southern Drivers are worse. Irish roads are a joke....... blah, blah, blah. I know all this already. All I want to know is what sort of a fine I'am going to be looking at

STG£60 and no obligation tell your insurance company

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Nuttzz wrote:
    STG£60 and no obligation tell your insurance company
    Keep the first post and this one. Delete everything in between.

MrP

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

starn wrote:
    I was clocked at 108 mph. Given I was dribving a 1L polo. I was pretty shocked when he told me this.
    You were doing 108mph in a 1L car and you were unaware of your speed. That has to be bullshít and if its not then you really should not be driving! The car would be revving so loud that you would be quite aware!
    I have no objection to people exceeding the speed limit within reason but that is taking the piss.
    The dual carraigeway running from Newry to Lisburn is actually quite dangerous as there are plenty of gaps in the central meridian where cars can cross. There are frequently pedestrians and cyclists along this stretch.
    Gerry wrote:
    Getting back to numbers, ok, so 108 is a bit fast. But the speed limit on the M1 is 75. Is 85 acceptable? If not, about 50% of the people on that road are speeding. I presume none of the critics on this thread go over the 75 so fair play to the lot of ye.
    The motorway & dual carraigeway speed limit is actually 70mph.
    www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm#103

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

He may have been referring to the M1 down here, though, in which case it's 74mph (120 km/h) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

and dual carriagways down here are 60mph

anyway wouldnt a polo at 108mph be vibrating and stuff and be really loud? you'd definatly know you were pushing the car to its limits?

not a great idea to be speeding like that on them roads, why were you speeding anyway? do you have a good excuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

kbannon wrote:
    The motorway & dual carraigeway speed limit is actually 70mph
    The A1 dual sections are mostly limited to 60mph, very few stretches (maybe only one actually) of national speed limit on that road, which just goes to show how safe the Roads Service believe it to be.

draffodx wrote:

anyway wouldnt a polo at 108mph be vibrating and stuff and be really loud? you'd definatly know you were pushing the car to its limits?

not a great idea to be speeding like that on them roads, why were you speeding anyway? do you have a good excuse?

As I've said I honestly didnt realise I was going that Fast. Yes the car was vibrating a little. But I honostly thought it was the Stereo and yes I had a very good reson to be speeding. But maybe not goodenough to be going that fast. I think it is a tribute to VW that there little Polo can go that fast

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

starn wrote:
    As I've said I honestly didnt realise I was going that Fast. Yes the car was vibrating a little. But I honostly thought it was the Stereo and yes I had a very good reson to be speeding. But maybe not goodenough to be going that fast. I think it is a tribute to VW that there little Polo can go that fast

it is indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

and a even better tribute would be to see what would be left of it, if you managed to hit something. A Polo's brakes would melt trying to stop at those speeds.
    On the dual section from Bannbridge to Newry, I had the pleasure of see 2 tractors + trailors trundling along with 1 working forward light between them at 4am, last september. That road is not safe for those speeds, even the proper divided sections, whatever about breaking the ton on a empty M-way, anything about 75mph on the section from Bannbridge to Sheepsbridge (?) is madness, and from there to Ravensdale, anything close to 60mph is too much.

Too many people killed/maimed on that section of road, and mostly killed by speed

Bogger77 wrote:
    Too many people killed/maimed on that section of road, and mostly killed by speed
    You're not wrong bogger. I remember well coming up on a head on collision near Ravensdale a few years ago. Pure impatience no doubt. Anyway, it was fatal for a couple of the poor suckers involved-there was very little left of the car and it was a sturdier beast than a Polo. If anything at all goes wrong at 108mph you'd be killed in such a car and probably kill someone else too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

murphaph wrote:
    You're not wrong bogger. I remember well coming up on a head on collision near Ravensdale a few years ago. Pure impatience no doubt. Anyway, it was fatal for a couple of the poor suckers involved-there was very little left of the car and it was a sturdier beast than a Polo. If anything at all goes wrong at 108mph you'd be killed in such a car and probably kill someone else too.

I was driving through Ravensdale in the late 1980s and a deer jumped out of the forrest and was struck by the car in front of me. I got a shower of blood and guts over my car. The other car was written off but the driver was only worried about being late for a date that he had in Dundalk. That's dedication!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I do know one person who was detained overnight by the (then) RUC for speeding. They argued that he would flee the jurisdiction before he could be charged. I suspect that they can still do this if they wish. This was back in the early '90s.

BrianD wrote:
    I do know one person who was detained overnight by the (then) RUC for speeding. They argued that he would flee the jurisdiction before he could be charged. I suspect that they can still do this if they wish. This was back in the early '90s.
    I heard of NI boy racers being detained in the south for the same reasons. I do not have confirmation though, just rumor.

MrP

BrianD wrote:
    I heard of NI boy racers being detained in the south for the same reasons. I do not have confirmation though, just rumor.

MrP

Bogger77 wrote:
    and a even better tribute would be to see what would be left of it, if you managed to hit something.

Shag all, Maybe a little a blob on the road if I was lucky

starn wrote:
    Shag all, Maybe a little a blob on the road if I was lucky
    TBH: I'd more interested in what you'd hit. Hopefully it'd be just a tree or a wall, not another car or pedestrian.

blastman wrote:
    He may have been referring to the M1 down here, though, in which case it's 74mph (120 km/h) :D
    draffodx wrote:

The OP did say that it was near Newry. I took a safe presumption that it occured in Northern Ireland given the reference to the PSNI being the ones who stopped the OP.
    Incidentally the speed limit down here is not 74mph or indeed any mph - it is 120kmph/100kmph on motorway/dual carriageway (unless otherwise stated). The Republic of Ireland went metric almost a year ago!
    murphaph wrote:
    The A1 dual sections are mostly limited to 60mph, very few stretches (maybe only one actually) of national speed limit on that road, which just goes to show how safe the Roads Service believe it to be.
    There are a number of sections which are 60mph but AFAIR about half of the dual carriageway journey is 70mph

kbannon wrote:
    There are a number of sections which are 60mph but AFAIR about half of the dual carriageway journey is 70mph

Since when as any of the A1 gone to 70mph, I know they were working on some sections of it, but all of it was 60MPH (national speed limit) the last time I travelled that road in August.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

kbannon wrote:
    Incidentally the speed limit down here is not 74mph or indeed any mph - it is 120kmph/100mph on motorway/dual carriageway (unless otherwise stated). The Republic of Ireland went metric almost a year ago!

You are contradicting yourself giving the limits in MPH.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

NSL in the UK is 70mph for dual carriageways and 60mph for single carriageway roads. See http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Incidentally the speed limit down here is not 74mph or indeed any mph - it is 120kmph/100mph on motorway/dual carriageway (unless otherwise stated). The Republic of Ireland went metric almost a year ago!
    If you're going to be pedantic, at least get it right ...i.e. 120km/h / 100km/h.

Bogger77 wrote:
    Since when as any of the A1 gone to 70mph, I know they were working on some sections of it, but all of it was 60MPH (national speed limit) the last time I travelled that road in August.
    I provided a link which you presumably didn't look at!
    Litcagral wrote:
    You are contradicting yourself giving the limits in MPH.:(
    There was one typo which I have fixed.
    The speed limits in NI are imperial and therefore, unlike down here are measured in mph.

kbannon wrote:
    The OP did say that it was near Newry. I took a safe presumption that it occured in Northern Ireland given the reference to the PSNI being the ones who stopped the OP.
    However I could be equally safely presumptuous by presuming that if he was in Northern Ireland and near Newry he could not have been on either M1 and had therefore been correct in referring to the speed limit on the M1 in the south as 75mph, a rough conversion of the 120km/h limit which does still exist as a valid measurement of speed despite going metric.

He didn't claim that he was on the M1 or A1 or any other road. It was C_Breeze who introduced the M1 to the discussion. I joined the discussion to point out that motorway & dual carriageway speed limits in Ni are 70mph and not 75mph as Gerry stated.
    However, your point that he may have been referring to the M1 down here is incorrect for two reasons.
    Firstly, he stated that the PSNI stopped him. This would not have happened in the Republic.
    Secondly your rebuttal to my post about NI dual carriageway/motorway speed limits made a claim that RoI speed limits are in mph. They are not in mph.
    To quote http://oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/road_traffic_speed_limits_in_ireland.html
    It is very important to remember that road distances and speed limits in Ireland are now measured in kilometres.
    See www.transport.ie/upload/general/6359-0.pdf for more info

kbannon wrote:
    I provided a link which you presumably didn't look at!

Where did you post a link, it was Alun who posted. After I'd posted.

or are you going to edit that link you did you mph mistake?

Bogger77 wrote:
    Where did you post a link, it was Alun who posted. After I'd posted.
    from http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50707497&postcount=66
    kbannon wrote:
    The motorway & dual carraigeway speed limit is actually 70mph.
    www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm#103
    Bogger77 wrote:
    or are you going to edit that link you did you mph mistake?
    ???

kbannon wrote:
    Secondly your rebuttal to my post about NI dual carriageway/motorway speed limits made a claim that RoI speed limits are in mph. They are not in mph.
    To quote http://oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/road_traffic_speed_limits_in_ireland.html

See www.transport.ie/upload/general/6359-0.pdf for more info
    I merely made a claim that they have an equivalent mph value, that's all. Or are you not allowed to convert them for your own use if desired now?

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    Nah, not nowadays and certainly not since the online dualling around Loughbrickland began-plenty of 40mph limits there until construction is complete. Even the bits that are 70mph are not safe, the A1 is like a substandard version of the old Naas dual carriageway, and that's saying something.

Advertisement