Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught speeding in NI

Options
  • 15-01-2006 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

I got caught speeding near Newery a few hours ago. The PSNI officer who stopped me told me had I been a Northern Driver. He would of confiscating the car and given my a automatic two year suspension. He took my details checke my licence insurance etc, etc. So what happens now can a exspect a fine, penelty points, etc, etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You won't get points - the Irish an UK points systems don't interact at all - but you probably will get a fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Don't be tempted not to pay the fine. They will do you big time mext time you cross the border if you try to be a smart-arse. They could confiscate your motor. You were caught - pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hagar wrote:
    Don't be tempted not to pay the fine. They will do you big time mext time you cross the border if you try to be a smart-arse. They could confiscate your motor. You were caught - pay up.

WOAH! Calm down there horse. He was just looking for advise.

My advise would be to hold out a while. If you get a speeding fine in the post, just pay it. You won't get points as said above, the UK/Irish points system dont interact. Just pay the fine and that should be the last you'll hear of it. Not paying it could get you in trouble if you come to Police attention in the North/UK in future

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yeh ya will get a fine which you should pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

JohnCleary wrote:
    WOAH! Calm down there horse. He was just looking for advise.

The advice I gave was sensible, matter-of-fact and accurate.
    Calm down you say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

yeah , i agree jsut pay it and save yourself the hassle and the worry.

Whats more important what speed where you doing? and what road? ...Because it sounds like you were settin the road on fire! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If you would have gotten a two year driving ban you must have been going at one hell of a speed.

I only wish he had the power to suspend your licence. I hate people who go up north with the intention of speeding because they know they'll only get a fine. You don't seem terribly bothered.

isnt it an automatic suspension and car confiscation when your caught over 100mph in the uk?

i cant think of any roads near newry where its possible let alone safe to go anywhere near that speed

draffodx wrote:
    isnt it an automatic suspension and car confiscation when your caught over 100mph in the uk?

i cant think of any roads near newry where its possible let alone safe to go anywhere near that speed

100 mph is nothing.

given the right car you can do way more than that up newry.

ive heard of higher speeds from 1.6 engined cars up around there.

you can easily crusie along at 120mph all the way up the M1 heading north

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Had you been a NI driver you would also have to re-sit the driving test and then spent another year with R Plates, limited to 45mph and not too sure if you'd be banned from Motorways too for the year.

And down here elected representitives think that people who have never passed a driving test should be allowed drive home from pubs after having a few.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

C_Breeze wrote:
    100 mph is nothing.

feck i forgot about the M1 i was thinking of the old windy road up to newry its always jammed with cars and i never seen any speeding on it cos of the congestion.

i know 100mph is nothin can easily get that out of a 1.4 i was just thinking of that road and i couldnt imagine any speeding on it. my mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

C_Breeze wrote:
    yeah , i agree jsut pay it and save yourself the hassle and the worry.

Whats more important what speed where you doing? and what road? ...Because it sounds like you were settin the road on fire! ;)

I was clocked at 108 mph. Given I was dribving a 1L polo. I was pretty shocked when he told me this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Holy sh1t, I thought the max speed of those things was around 90mph?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭skibum

starn wrote:
    I was clocked at 108 mph.
    :eek:
    Just pay the fine, the next time you get stopped (and driving like that in a polo you will get stopped) they will really go to town on you. They have no sense of humour regarding speeding southern reg drivers taking the p1ss.

starn wrote:
    I was clocked at 108 mph. Given I was dribving a 1L polo. I was pretty shocked when he told me this.

do you not check your speedometer to see what speed your doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

What posessed you to go that fast in a Polo. If you crashed you were gaurunteed to be killed. Nuts. I wonder though, would you have to declare that you were fined up north when it comes to renewing your insurance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

C_Breeze wrote:
    100 mph is nothing.

The M1 doesn't go anywhere near Newry! (Dungannon to Belfast). It was possibly on the Armagh Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Stephen wrote:
    Holy sh1t, I thought the max speed of those things was around 90mph?

I thought that myself. But there ya go.

Anyone know what sort of a fine I'am looking at or if I am gonna have to declare it when I renew my insurane

draffodx wrote:

i know 100mph is nothin can easily get that out of a 1.4 QUOTE]

It is this type of moronic attitude that puts the rest of us in danger and increases the cost of our insurance.

Litcagral wrote:

It is this type of moronic attitude that puts the rest of us in danger and increases the cost of our insurance.

yeh of course, stating a fact, thats gonna put everyone in danger and scare insurance companies into increasing premiums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

C_Breeze wrote:
    100 mph is nothing.

The M1 is this side of the border, he was probably on the A1 which is not safe in any circumstances at that sort of speed.

It is littered with bends, blind crests and crossroads that can and regularly do catch out speeders. I have seen a few close calls myself with cars crossing the dual carriageway too close to speeders on the main road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

Litcagral wrote:
    draffodx wrote:

Actually, no.

Crashing at 100 mph will kill you, dead people don't rack up huge hospital bills. What really costs are all the poor drivers here in Ireland rear ending others, whiplash for example will cost the insurance company loads of cash for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Where is the fine issued from?would it come from the north or would the cops up there send it down here to the garda fines office to send to you?

John R wrote:
    The M1 is this side of the border,.

There is an M1 up north also and was there years before our M1.

eireal wrote:
    Where is the fine issued from?would it come from the north or would the cops up there send it down here to the garda fines office to send to you?

i believe its sent straight from the north to the address you gave them

Litcagral wrote:

There is?!? :eek:

Well, im off to set some land speed records- goodbye!

C_Breeze wrote:
    There is?!? :eek:

Well, im off to set some land speed records- goodbye!

yeh the m1 goes straight to belfast i believe

IDMUD wrote:
    Litcagral wrote:

Crashing at 100 mph will kill you, dead people don't rack up huge hospital bills. What really costs are all the poor drivers here in Ireland rear ending others, whiplash for example will cost the insurance company loads of cash for years to come.

What about the other innocent people who get caught up in serious accidents suffering long term illnesses and injuries? They may never be able to return to work and as a result will be compensated. What about the innocent victims who are killed by these idiots? What about the costs to rescue services - dead people still have to be 'recovered'? What about the cost to the economy caused by road closures, diversions etc? If some immature idiot wants to drive in excess of 100mph why should innocent people be put at risk? Public roads are for the 'public'. If you want to exceed the speed limit, do so in private at your own risk.

draffodx wrote:
    yeh the m1 goes straight to belfast i believe

Dungannon to Belfast - not Newry to Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Litcagral wrote:

But it's not near Newry where the OP was caught.

Advertisement