Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught speeding in NI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Litcagral wrote:
    Dungannon to Belfast - not Newry to Belfast.

yes thats what i meant
    Litcagral wrote:
    What about the other innocent people who get caught up in serious accidents suffering long term illnesses and injuries? They may never be able to return to work and as a result will be compensated. What about the innocent victims who are killed by these idiots? What about the costs to rescue services - dead people still have to be 'recovered'? What about the cost to the economy caused by road closures, diversions etc? If some immature idiot wants to drive in excess of 100mph why should innocent people be put at risk? Public roads are for the 'public'. If you want to exceed the speed limit, do so in private at your own risk.

i very rarely break the speed limit let alone go over 100mph i was just stating that even in a 1.4 car its easily possible to go over 100mph.
    i completely agree that driving 100mph + on dangerous roads like the op is stupid and immature

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Crashing at 100 mph will kill you, dead people don't rack up huge hospital bills. What really costs are all the poor drivers here in Ireland rear ending others, whiplash for example will cost the insurance company loads of cash for years to come.
    The problem with that logic is that fatal accidents typcily also have injured people involved. Rear end or t-bone another vehicle at that speed and you are likely to put people in hospital for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

F*cking idiot. The speedo is there for a reason. It's easy to creep over the speed limit especially on the motorway but the speed limit is there for a reason.

It's really embarrassing how badly Irish people drive. You cross the border and immediately notice how much better at driving people from N.I. are, because driving laws are enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

eth0_ wrote:

It's really embarrassing how badly Irish people drive. You cross the border and immediately notice how much better at driving people from N.I. are, because driving laws are enforced.

It works both ways. Many NI drivers exceed speed limits in the ROI and drive on hard shoulder, overtake on the inside, park illegally etc. :(

yes i agree i live in the meath/louth area and the standard of northern reg driving is diabolical

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

draffodx wrote:
    yeh the m1 goes straight to belfast i believe

it goes right to the heart of belfast not like our M1 which peters out at the start of the port tunnel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What Port Tunnel? Oh you must mean the expensive hole in the ground that is filling up with water.

Hagar wrote:
    What Port Tunnel? Oh you must mean the expensive hole in the ground that is filling up with water.

i think bertie just wants a hole in the ground where he can put all the money he gets from ripping off motorists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

eth0_ wrote:
    F*cking idiot. The speedo is there for a reason. It's easy to creep over the speed limit especially on the motorway but the speed limit is there for a reason.

The driving in Northern Ireland is actually extremely bad as I drive there constantly.

The also do not obey the law there, they are basically a lawless, appeased race up there and by appeased I mean they all have a chip on there shoulder because if a policeman is doing his job it is because "I am a taig" or "I am a prod".

These drivers are by far the most ignorant, aggressive and disgusting drivers in this Island, I constantly have to put up with their sh1t day in day out, IMHO I would like to see an Extreme Zero Tolerance Policy take against them and imprisonment, arrests and instant destruction of there vehicles to take place for there acts...Maybe then they will abide by the Law of the Republic of Ireland, which covers anyone within the jurisdiction :mad:

starn wrote:
    I got caught speeding near Newery a few hours ago. The PSNI officer who stopped me told me had I been a Northern Driver. He would of confiscating the car and given my a automatic two year suspension. He took my details checke my licence insurance etc, etc. So what happens now can a exspect a fine, penelty points, etc, etc

Your a complete idiot in the first case what was the rush a pint waiting for you....People like you disgust me and from what you say you were not just speeding but driving dangerously...If it were me BEHIND BARS PAL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Litcagral wrote:
    There is an M1 up north also and was there years before our M1.

True. Amd it end about 40 miles from Newry. So he obviously wasn't on it.:D

MrP

C_Breeze wrote:
    100 mph is nothing.

given the right car you can do way more than that up newry.

ive heard of higher speeds from 1.6 engined cars up around there.

you can easily crusie along at 120mph all the way up the M1 heading north

Your a complete idiot your way and attitude cost's life's best thing that could happen to you now is crash into a ditch and do only damage to yourself and no-one else...

My brother died because of scum like you so F*ck up with the sh1te

Litcagral wrote:
    It works both ways. Many NI drivers exceed speed limits in the ROI and drive on hard shoulder, overtake on the inside, park illegally etc. :(

Impressive. It actually took 35 post before someone trotted out the old "NI drivers are the scourge of driving in Ireland. We are soooooooo good and don't speed or run red lights" sh1te.

Seriously do you guys not get tired of spewing this sh1t? I drove in NI for 11 years before I moved down here. Believe me the driving is much worse down here. I saw more people running red light in my first week in Dublini that I did the the entire time I was driving in the north. Please believe me, that is not an exageration. Most people in the north stop on amber for christs sake.:eek:

That said, there are a lot of aggressive boy racer tosser types up there. The difference is they tend to either grow out of it or die. I did a bit of the boy racer thing when I was young but I did grow out of it, like most people in the north. The problem down here is that you have the boy racer type, like the north, but you also have older people that have no respect for red lights or the rules of the road in general. They also feel they have some kind of god given right to spend the entire night in a pub drinking and then drive home.

MrP

Your probably right MrPudding i spent a couple of months working in belfast and the standard of driving was very good, there light signals work better than ours too, the lights here stay on amber for too long in my opinion, people realise this and just powder on through.

But when some northern drivers cross the border to here they seem to disrespect the rules of the road, i see dangerous overtaking and dangerous speeding on a daily basis from northern reg drivers between dundalk and ashbourne.

And I agree that there is some sort of hype around the boy racer style/image down here, people dont seem to be growing out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

MrPudding wrote:
    Impressive. It actually took 35 post before someone trotted out the old "NI drivers are the scourge of driving in Ireland. We are soooooooo good and don't speed or run red lights" sh1te.

Seriously do you guys not get tired of spewing this sh1t? I drove in NI for 11 years before I moved down here. Believe me the driving is much worse down here. I saw more people running red light in my first week in Dublini that I did the the entire time I was driving in the north. Please believe me, that is not an exageration. Most people in the north stop on amber for christs sake.:eek:

MrP

If you care to read my post again Mr Pudding, you will see that I used the word "many" not "all". It is you who have "trotted" out the "NI drivers are the scourge" phrase. I didn't mention it. Before the opening of the M1 I and many others spent a lot of time queuing in heavy traffic in Balbriggan, Drogheda, Dunleer etc. while watching MANY (note use of word MANY not all) NI registered vehicles skip queues and drive up along the hard shoulder and drive at excessive speeds on open roads and park illegally in towns along the route. I am not saying that they are any worse than ROI drivers, but attempting to give a balanced view to the post which seems to suggest that they were perfect.

It is a proven fact that Yellow Reg drivers are excessively dangerous and have no regard for the law, I live beside a member of the traffic corp here and 85% of the cars stopped in Louth/Monaghan are dangerous northern drivers.

I have driven for many years around the border/belfast/louth and dublin and the driving again in the north is worse and even more so when crossing the border.. And I have seen mothers with kids in the car doing it,old people and every section of society.

I have a very militant zero tolerance attitude toward yellow plate drivers and idiots in general especially on the M1 as I want to get to work without stress and safely but these idiots insist on breaking the law...The more of them off the road or in a coffin the better and let the normal law abiding citizens drive in peace and safety.

woody wrote:
    It is a proven fact that Yellow Reg drivers are excessively dangerous and have no regard for the law, I live beside a member of the traffic corp here and 85% of the cars stopped in Louth/Monaghan are dangerous northern drivers.

Cool. If it's a proven fact then you won't have any trouble providing, well, proof. I eagerly await it.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

woody wrote:
    Your a complete idiot your way and attitude cost's life's best thing that could happen to you now is crash into a ditch and do only damage to yourself and no-one else...

My brother died because of scum like you so F*ck up with the sh1te

sorry to hear that

but please dont say beacuse of scum like me , because firstly i am not scum - and if you take time to read my post , idint say i do that speed or condone it - i just heard of somebody that did

Litcagral wrote:
    If you care to read my post again Mr Pudding, you will see that I used the word "many" not "all". It is you who have "trotted" out the "NI drivers are the scourge" phrase. I didn't mention it. Before the opening of the M1 I and many others spent a lot of time queuing in heavy traffic in Balbriggan, Drogheda, Dunleer etc. while watching MANY (note use of word MANY not all) NI registered vehicles skip queues and drive up along the hard shoulder and drive at excessive speeds on open roads and park illegally in towns along the route. I am not saying that they are any worse than ROI drivers, but attempting to give a balanced view to the post which seems to suggest that they were perfect.

My point is simply that any time anyone suggests bad driving in the south someone always has to bring up the subject of the evil norther drivers.

I will admit I may not have spen as much time in those areas as you but I drove north once or twice a month after we moved down here 5 years ago. Our experiences are massively different. I only remember souther plate behaving as you mention, for the most part that is. I will admit that there may an an issue with northern drivers speeding in the south, quite similar to the problem of southern drivers speeding in the north, a la the OP.

Similary, in the north undertaking is very rare. I have seen a lot of undertaking down here but it is almost exclusively done by southern reg cars. I will admit though that I do not spend a huge amount of time in the border regions.

If people are parking illegally then this is really easy to sort out. Something tells me that clamping companies will not care if the car has a northern reg. Clamp the fcukers.

I am not trying to say that northern drivers are brilliant. But the whole "northern drivers disrepecting our laws (even though we ignore them.)" line does get a bit grating.

MrP

Put simply the lack of co operation between the gardai and the psni and the lack of unity between the southern and northern traffic laws leads to problems with both southern and northern drivers not respecting the laws in the opposite countries.

it happens both ways but we have to put up with the northerns so we give out about them as i'm sure someone is giving out about southern drivers in the north.

an all ireland traffic law is the only way to sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pontovic wrote:
    I wonder though, would you have to declare that you were fined up north when it comes to renewing your insurance ?
    No. You only have to declare convictions and endorsements. The way it was here before penalty points - you could be caught speeding twice a month, but your insurance company would never hear of it.

draffodx wrote:
    Put simply the lack of co operation between the gardai and the psni and the lack of unity between the southern and northern traffic laws leads to problems with both southern and northern drivers not respecting the laws in the opposite countries.

it happens both ways but we have to put up with the northerns so we give out about them as i'm sure someone is giving out about southern drivers in the north.

an all ireland traffic law is the only way to sort it.
    I think that pretty much sums it up.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    Cool. If it's a proven fact then you won't have any trouble providing, well, proof. I eagerly await it.

MrP

Have a good look at the recent new reports about Northern Drivers flouting the law and Oh let me see read all the local louth/monaghan newspapers......

It is fact and it is recorded that your lot are Lawless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

MrPudding wrote:
    Believe me the driving is much worse down here. I saw more people running red light in my first week in Dublini that I did the the entire time I was driving in the north. Please believe me, that is not an exageration. Most people in the north stop on amber for christs sake.:eek:
    Based on my recent experiences on the roads up north I'd have to agree with this. A friend and I made a couple of long trips up and back and we saw considerably less erattic/inconsiderate drivers up there.

As for speeding and aggressive driving, I've been guilty of criticising some NI drivers in the past but it definitely works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yet again the thread descends into some sort of PC fight..

The well established facts are that SOME NI and SOME ROI drivers flout the law when on the other side of the border.. there's no need for some sort of forensic evidence gathering to "prove" this. People's own experiences should be enough.

Personally I've encountered moronic drivers from both sides of the border but I would agree that some NI drivers do seem given to excessive speeding (and dangerous tailgating as I gave an example of here recently) when down south. Having not yet driven in NI I can't offer any personal experiences as to what goes on, but I think some of the posters on this thread have proven it does work both ways.

All this PC rubbish and "provide detailed evidence cause your own experiences/word just aren't good enough for me" really gets to me :mad:

There's always going to be a percentage who'll take advantage of the fact they can't get penalty points while in the North and vice versa. I don't think you can say people from one side of the border are more partial to doing it. It's usually the boy racers you see booting it once they cross the border.

woody wrote:
    I would like to see an Extreme Zero Tolerance Policy take against them and imprisonment, arrests and instant destruction of there vehicles to take place for there acts...Maybe then they will abide by the Law of the Republic of Ireland, which covers anyone within the jurisdiction :mad:

You're a bit of a fscking psycho, pal. It must REALLY pain you to have to mingle with us "Nordies".

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Yet again the thread descends into some sort of PC fight..

Apologises for that, I am just getting a little tired of it.
    Kaiser2000 wrote:
    The well established facts are that SOME NI and SOME ROI drivers flout the law when on the other side of the border.. there's no need for some sort of forensic evidence gathering to "prove" this. People's own experiences should be enough.

Fine. It seems to be a bit one sided though. And I have to admit, after a large number of years driving in the north I find it a bit rich for southern drivers to slag off my friends in the north.
    Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Personally I've encountered moronic drivers from both sides of the border but I would agree that some NI drivers do seem given to excessive speeding (and dangerous tailgating as I gave an example of here recently) when down south.

"I'm not racist but.........

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Having not yet driven in NI I can't offer any personal experiences as to what goes on, but I think some of the posters on this thread have proven it does work both ways.

No you can't but at least you have the decency to admit you have no personal experience. My experience is limited to driving home but my experiences of southern driver north of the border is shocking. Actually, quite similar to my experiences of souther drivers south of the border! :eek: Go figure.
    Kaiser2000 wrote:
    All this PC rubbish and "provide detailed evidence cause your own experiences/word just aren't good enough for me" really gets to me :mad:

I am sorry but if someone tells me it is proven I am actually interested in the proof. He did not say "everyone knows" or "I reckon" he said "it is proven." If that is the case I think it is reasonable to ask to see that proof. Do you not agree? If you were in court and the prosecution said "It is proven that Kaiser2000 is guilty of being a tosser."* Do you not think you would be entitled to see the evidence of your alledged tosser status?

MrP

* I do not think Kaiser is a tosser, in fact I actually think he / she is pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Gerry

Getting back to numbers, ok, so 108 is a bit fast. But the speed limit on the M1 is 75. Is 85 acceptable? If not, about 50% of the people on that road are speeding. I presume none of the critics on this thread go over the 75 so fair play to the lot of ye.
    On the subject of driving in NI in general, I've driven up there maybe 5 times in the last few months ( to magherafelt, a fair bit up ) I think the surfaces are better, but there are far more junctions onto the dual carraigeways, and many of these appear over crests. So I rarely go over the limit. The non-motorway roads just aren't suitable for it. But I'm not sure NI drivers are any better. They tailgate a lot, of course this happens in the south, but in the north, it seemed a tad more aggressive. Theres also plenty of people driving really slowly. And coming home at night, theres plenty of crazy boy racers doing silly speeds, you have to try to keep out of their way. The worst of all was just over the border, (in the republic) driving home at about 2am, loads of young people driving around by the nightclubs, stopping in the middle of the road and jumping out. I don't remember if the cars were NI reg or not, I think its just the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I've driven quite a bit on both sides of the border, and I would say there is a general tendency to show a bit more respect to the rules of the road in the north by northern drivers than there is in the south by southern drivers. On the drive into Belfast on the M1 there, for example, my previous experience was that there is a lot less sitting in the overtaking lane than on the M1 into Dublin (or, God forbid, the M50!), where it seems to be a national sport. That said, I have seen northern regs drive like maniacs down here, but then I've seen D, LH and MH plates in particular drive like maniacs here too. I think the big brush and the tar need to be given a rest.

Advertisement