Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who has right of way here?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

Litcagral wrote:
    Yes, its not very likely as the roads I'm referring to are very minor often with grass in the centre. They are usually very quiet hence the absence of signage/road markings- but it is theoretically possible for four vehicles to meet at the same time. My brother has been wondering about this matter for years!

He must be bored out of his f**king mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Litcagral wrote:
    There is a sign on ROTR - a black cross on a yellow background with all lines of equal width. Again if these junctions didn't exist, why would ROTR give advice on them. They are not commom but they do exist. Maybe someone living in rural Co Donegal would support me on this - there are a few in the Ramelton area.

Fair enough,
    And, in the ROTR, what does it say the proper procedure is when you see this sign?
    That should answer the OPs question and finalise this thread.

Actually,

Here is the answer, from the ROTR:

Where roads forming a junction are of equal importance you must yield to traffic on your right.

When turning right, you must yield to traffic coming straight through from the opposite direction.

Where two vehicles coming from opposite directions are turning into the same road, the vehicle turning right should give way to the vehicle turning left.

At all times you must yield to:
    - Traffic already turning at a junction

That should be the conclusion of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

prospect wrote:
    That should be the conclusion of this thread.

so who has right of way then?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah I don't think that has answered the question here. Everyone is turning right and are coming at the same time at the same type of junction. Headwrecker. Should go down to the local garda station and test them:D

• Advertisement

Because the chances of 4 cars arriving at a junction with 4 roads of equal importence, and all wanting to tturn right, and at EXACTLY the same moment in time, is about 1000 Billion-to-one. (I actually sat down and calculated this, okay).

So it is pointless disuccing it as the Irish ROTR, quite rightly, does not cover every 1000 Billion-to-one potential occurance on the roads.

So in essence, the person with the nicest car should get the right of way.

Advertisement