Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who has right of way here?

Options
  • 15-01-2006 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Please see attached image. This would be at a non controlled junction. Yellow dots on side of car indicate which way they are waiting to turn.

1) Assuming all roads are of equal importance.
    2) Assuming road left and right are of minor importance or entrance to a petrol station on either side say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

in this hypothetical situation, assuming both roads are same priority, no-one has right of way & common sense should prevail - make eye contact with other drivers & proceed slowly as appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

Indicators are merely signals of intent and do not imply right-of-way....tis very difficult from your diagram to say who has right of way.....which road is the minor road and which is the major?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Well the two one's on the right and left dont assuming there is a stop side or something at the end of there road...... In the other case neither would have the right of way. Thats my own personel judgement

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

2) Assuming road left and right are of minor importance or entrance to a petrol station on either side say.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

i would say that the cars going north and south would turn around each other, then the ones going west and east would then go around each other.

the cars going north/south are already in the junction, and there isn't an obstruction so they should proceed, whereas the cars going west/east are blocked by the other two cars.

that said you're supposed to give way to traffic on the riggh.

perhaps they should build a roundabout instead

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    the cars going north/south are already in the junction, and there isn't an obstruction so they should proceed, whereas the cars going west/east are blocked by the other two cars.

How about this then:eek: (see attachment)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

cormie wrote:
    How about this then:eek: (see attachment)
    Looks like a free for all to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is where one of the north/south car drivers simply has to have the wit to clearly indicate to the opposing driver that you are letting him/her have priority. The east/west traffic clearly has to wait.

re fletch for the second one!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

cormie wrote:

Bit of a contradiction there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

colm_mcm wrote:

perhaps they should build a roundabout instead

I don't have a copy of the rules of the road to hand but I think the arrangement at a crossroads where roads were of equal importance, was that it is in effect a roundabout and traffic should giveway to traffic already on the junction, coming from the right.

In your example, whichever of the two cars "second" into the junction should have given way to the other car.

If for example, the junction is not a crossroads but a T junction where all roads are of equal importance, traffic coming up the T must give way to traffic going across the top of the T so to speak.

There are plenty of examples of both of these type junctions in the many housing estates in the country...

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aren't you meant to hook left and turn right? Both cars in the junction have equal right of way.

Bit of a contradiction there!

That's meant to be Scenario 1 and Scenario 2:o Not the same scenario:)

Mike, it's against the ROTR to beckon on other drivers so the giving signals isn't the "proper" way about this:(

use the indian system where the bigger car has right of way

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Who cares.....
    In both instances some common sernse and patience is needed.....especially the seconda scenario-whereby a number of drivers have clearly lost all common sense and gone into the junction at exactly the same time.
    The first intance has already been addressed as to who has the "right of way and what needs to be done in order to follow the rules of the road.
    The second case, if it ever happened would involve people giving signals to eachother and asking them selves how they managed to get into the situation in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

The way I see scenario two, it's the same as if you are at a junction and the lights are out...

Big Balls wrote:
    The way I see scenario two, it's the same as if you are at a junction and the lights are out...

Well without a Garda traffic director present it's a free for all right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Within reason.. you can't just plough out into the middle of the junction and expect everyone to be able to stop for you !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

As far as I know, so I have been told, if 4 cars come to a junction where all roads are of equal importance, they all must stop, and then whoever was there first goes, and then it goes around by whoever was 2nd, 3rd etc. This is the way they do it in America and I have been told you should do the same here. Never been in that situation here though where right of way was not clearly signposted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

In a situation like this, you give way to traffic to your right, and treat it as a roundabout junction.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

colm_mcm wrote:
    i would say that the cars going north and south would turn around each other, then the ones going west and east would then go around each other.

I agree with colm here. The two cars in the middle of the junction are supposed to turn around the rear of each car not in front. Then the the west/east cars do the same manouver

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Seanie M wrote:
    In a situation like this, you give way to traffic to your right, and treat it as a roundabout junction.

Seanie.

That's the problem. If all four vehicles arrive at the same time, someone is always going to be on someone else's right - it would be a viscious circle. Four cars could possibly enter a large roundabout simultaneously but not at a junction like that.

MargeS wrote:
    I agree with colm here. The two cars in the middle of the junction are supposed to turn around the rear of each car not in front. Then the the west/east cars do the same manouver

You're missing the point - all four roads are of equal importance - therefore why would the cars in the "middle" go first!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭samo

Seanie M wrote:

Seanie.

The diagram posted is very similar to the junction in Celbridge if anyone is familiar with it at Celbridge bridge near McNamee's pub.

(Although there's a box and one or 2 stop lines thown in for good measure!)

Generally speaking I find most drivers seem to follows Seanie's way of thinking and give way to traffic coming from the right although there is one particular exit that tends to get a raw deal and is stuck there till someone 'give's way'!

Litcagral wrote:
    You're missing the point - all four roads are of equal importance - therefore why would the cars in the "middle" go first!

the cars in in the middle obviously got to the junction first, unless the east/west drivers have a death wish, they're not going to drive into the sides of the north/south cars.

colm_mcm wrote:
    the cars in in the middle obviously got to the junction first, unless the east/west drivers have a death wish, they're not going to drive into the sides of the north/south cars.

I thought the whole point of the query was if they all arrived together at a junction with roads of equal importance - otherwise there would be no problem.

if you look at the picture attached to the original post.............

colm_mcm wrote:
    if you look at the picture attached to the original post.............

I know what you mean Colm but I think the picture provided does not represent the senario or query correctly. In most situations with a junction with roads of equal importance, the roads are very minor ones being little more that the width of a car. It would therfore be unlikely that they would be in the position pictured. If they were there would be no problem.The picture also gives the impression that the N/S road is a continuous one with lines in the centre and that the E/W roads are more minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Litcagral wrote:
    That's the problem. If all four vehicles arrive at the same time, someone is always going to be on someone else's right - it would be a viscious circle. Four cars could possibly enter a large roundabout simultaneously but not at a junction like that.

True, but like any roundabout, there is a way. If treated like a roundabout, there shouldn't e any real problems.... except for those out there that do not know how to use a roundabout, or know about common sense.

or maybe they should all swap cars and all turn left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Technically, it's an unrealistic picture. You do not enter a junction without first making sure that your way is clear. All of the cars arriving at the junction would see the vehicle coming from their right, and stop. At that point, it's essentially a matter of someone making the decision to go.
    I don't think this is scenario is covered for in the rules of the road, since whichever car makes the decision to go is breaking the law by failing to yield to all three of the other vehicles - who technically have right of way over him.

Advertisement