Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Road Signage Pictures

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Tell me thats not real haha.gif

I saw something similar on a private driveway in the UK, but a roadway into an estate :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I just caught them talking about this on Newstalk. I wonder did they find out about it on here.

I certainly couldn't understand what they meant until I saw these photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

You gotta love the Irishness of that!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Tell me thats not real haha.gif

Its real. I thought my mind was playing tricks at first too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Have you not seen the pics where a house was built around an ESB pole? This is not an isolated incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

LMAO. That's brilliant.

Found something about it...

http://www.midlandsradio.fm/news_detail.aspx?news_id=5535

Lives being put at risk die to electrical pole in housing esate in Ballylinan

There's claims lives are being put at risk at a housing estate in Ballylinan in Laois due to an electrical pole in the middle of the street.

There's growing fears that there will be a serious accident as cars are forced to swerve round the dangerous pole.

Laois County Council say it's the responsiblity of the ESB and there was reflective taping on it which had to be removed due to anti social behaviour.

Meanwhile, the ESB says it falls into the remit of both authorities and insists the pole will be removed this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Ice_Box wrote: »
    there was reflective taping on it which had to be removed due to anti social behaviour.
    I wish that they would elaborate on this.
    Ice_Box wrote:
    Meanwhile, the ESB says it falls into the remit of both authorities and insists the pole will be removed this week.
    The estate and road have probably been there for a while so the publicity is probably the 'motivation' the ESB needed to resolve this.

• Advertisement

My photos had an effect. They travelled around the net like wildfire. The pole was taken down last night.

From todays indo
    ESB say it's going, going . . . it's gone

An ESB pole that had was standing in the middle of a road junction for several months has been whipped down, within hours of a media report branding it a danger to motorists.

Residents at a new housing estate in Ballylinan, Co Laois have spent the last few months struggling to avoid the electricity pole as they enter the development at Rahin Towers. It took just a matter of hours to fell the offending pole after the story was highlighted in a national newspaper yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

1303097432_l.jpg
    i love dublin :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Priceless! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Ice_Box wrote: »
    My photos had an effect. They travelled around the net like wildfire. The pole was taken down last night.
    Fantastic work. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Its not a piccie but an apt quote from the Minister for Transport that I think probably belongs in this thread.
    Asked about concerns raised by several motorists who ended up going down the wrong side of the road after being confused by signage at roundabouts and major junctions, the minister said he did not accept there was inadequate signage on the main national roads.

However, he admitted that there were problems with signage on local county and regional roads.

"When I drive around my own county [Meath] I wouldn't know where I was going if I didn't know the roads," he said.
    Source : http://www.independent.ie/national-news/transport-plan-comes-off-the-rails-as-major-delays-forecast-1307961.html

The first step in fixing a problem is acknowledging/ recognising that there is one in the first place so fair play to the minister on this score.
    Next though, hopefully he'll go and fix the problem!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Signage is a fairly easy problem to solve and not too expensive. it takes a generation to improve all roads, build metros and so on but you could easily vastly improve signage in the lifetime of this government. Easy gain for a politician I would say to get this sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The M7 has new (to me) gantries at M9 junction.
    It also has a new sign as you approach the N8 junction. This latter sign, all in blue, mentions Portlaoise, Abbeyleix and N8. Should it be a white sign, or at least have N8 in yellow on green?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Should be a green patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Everything on a motorway is in blue.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ardmacha wrote: »
    Signage is a fairly easy problem to solve and not too expensive. it takes a generation to improve all roads, build metros and so on but you could easily vastly improve signage in the lifetime of this government. Easy gain for a politician I would say to get this sorted.
    There didn't appear to be any logistical issues with the km/h signs and there were time pressures so the current signage situation has to be down to laziness, ignorance, apathy, or some other kind of emotion that should not exist on such an important matter.
    Victor wrote: »
    Everything on a motorway is in blue.
    Except the writing! :D

...and the red end of motorway slash!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The rules for motorway patching (more or less):

All directional signs on a motorway mainline are white text on a blue background except:

(1) Terminal junctions (normal patching rules apply)
    (2) Standalone brown tourist signs (but brown patches aren't allowed)

Patching is allowed however on sliproads.

And TWO "No Entry" signs after it!
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Most dangerous road sign in Ireland? Nominations now open.

Mine goes to one on a dual-carriageway between Galway and Ennis. You're pootling along happily at under 80kp/h when a sign appears changing the limit to 100kp/h. So you obediently speed up, moving your eyes back from the sign to the road...

...just in time to realise that you're heading straight into a roundabout at increasing speed.

Why they placed the sign *before* the roundabout, not *after* it is a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

haven't read through all of this thread, but has anyone actually questioned the purpose of speed signs at all?

It's fantastic that they put up all these new signs a couple of years ago - but with no sense (not even common!) or rhyme or reason.

In a lot of European countries, speed signs indicate the speed APPROPRIATE and safe for a particular stretch of road (say a hilly, bendy road would have 60 km/h or max 80 km/h signs along it), while the general speed for the 'type' of road is implied . You can rely on this information to be accurate (cause in most cases, someone will actually have assessed the situation), and drive accordingly.

Here, they put up the signs according to the type of road (N, or R, etc) and leave it to the driver to make an 'informed' decision about how fast to go - which in a lot of cases leads to dangerous and stupid behavior, cause people will see the sign as a target, not a limit, especially when not familiar with a certain road.

They could have remedied that situation when they put the new signs up - yet, they chose to put up more signs, in even stupider locations - like the said 100 km/h sign just meters before a roundabout, or sharp bends, while they have totally useless 100 km/h limits on perfectly nice stretches of road (most of the dual carriageways).

I petition everyone not to fight over the 'safe speed to drive' :D

This ones very hard to get a pic of, but northbound in the Lee Tunnel theres a good one.

In both directions now, you arent supposed to change lanes in the tunnel. So both bores of the tunnel have 'Stay in Lane' written on the floor, or "Lane in Stay" depending on how you read it. Thats fine tho, thats fairly normal.

However, the people who put them down started to put one "Stay in Lane" in the wrong place and obviously stopped.

The result being that there is now an "S" randomly on the road in the middle of the tunnel, and nothing else. Its quite funny.

Also coming towards the tunnel eastbound on the N25, theres a huge new "TUNNEL 2.5 KM AHEAD" or something like that. According to my GPS, the 2.5km ADS is 800m from the tunnel entrance cheesy.gif

Edit: And its not "2.5km to the end of the tunnel" or "2.5km of tunnel" as theres a sign coming westbound towards the tunnel from the other end that is correctly 2.5km from the tunnel entrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

daymobrew wrote: »
    The M7 has new (to me) gantries at M9 junction.
    It also has a new sign as you approach the N8 junction. This latter sign, all in blue, mentions Portlaoise, Abbeyleix and N8. Should it be a white sign, or at least have N8 in yellow on green?

This is a classic case of death by signage. We went from a relatively discreetly signed junction to overkill. The signs on the gantries are poorly designed and have far too much info on them. It seems like they were trying to get every placename on them ...

On my Cork to Galway trip a few weeks ago I snapped some goodies.

This ones in Limerick, not sure if its a TSM "Get in Lane" or not.

CIMG0060.jpg

This is the odd Ped crossing one that was mentioned a few pages ago. Its very hard to see the ped. Looks weird from a distance.

CIMG0061.jpg

This certainly isnt TSM, but I quite like it. Simple, to the point and a bit different.

CIMG0062.jpg

But then theres this nonsense near Shannon.

CIMG0063.jpg

And this wins the 'honorary lunacy' award. Halfway from Cork to Mallow on the N20, you get a climbing lane. A certain company dug up the road to do something and the stupid idiots didnt replace the line. This has been reported, without success.

CIMG0059.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

These are my favourite signs and should be listed for preservation particularly in tourist areas. All the poles should be black and white and the signs should be painted black and white featuring all the relevant information that it has had since day one, eg T6 and a little harp emblem, keep the distance in miles.
    Another particular favourite of mine is the town name in a box with an arrow through it. I noticed this year that two preserved signs had dissappeared and replaced by some horrible green sign.:mad:

roadsign.gif

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/images/si284y56p1573.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement